Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Wizardry Online: Hardcore? You Bet It Is!

13»

Comments

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Apraxis
    Originally posted by Ryowulf

Permadeath is death for this game. No game is without some cheats/bots/hacks. No interent game is without random disconnects.

How happy would any of you be to lose a character due to a power burp?

Permadeath will make people want to cheat and complain more.  It will make the community worse not better.

Well.. this game is not a usual MMO. Permadeath was good for Quake, so it will be good for this one.

It is much more a Action Multiplayer Dungeon Crawler, it is about the tough challenge against Mobs or Players.. and permadeath fits perfectly well in this game. So i will give it a try. :)

But i dont expect a World, or anything like it, much more a lot of fast and tough action..  i miss the dungeon crawler genre, with games like Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, Ultima Underworld and so on.. and this one is such a game, just mulitplayer(and not so much massive multiplayer, but didnt fit in a dungeon crawler anyways), with good and crazy action and some tough decisions.

And i guess to get to deepest level of some dungeonn will be a serious challange.. and not comparable with those raids or dungeons from other games. It is much more mayhem.

The point is really what you expect about it. I expect a mix from Dungeon Master, Quake, Hexen(IDSoft) and the like. And that sounds fun for me. And could have a lot more longlevity than some other games, although your character want live that long.

I love a good challenge, but in the current environment so many people cheat, especially in a permadeath game where they can have great fun ruining someone else's day.  There is no challenge when someone cheats.  Good luck trying to have fun playing this game, it will be more frustration than anything else.  About the only way to play this game is with a group of people you know.  If you attempt it solo your in game time will be short lived.  Pick up groups will be a disaster waiting to happen.

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756
    So saying "thirty years in the making" is the new way to cover up that they are releasing an old game over here?
  • Shroom_MageShroom_Mage Member UncommonPosts: 863
    I recall the trailer. It's blatantly pay to win. If you die, you can pay real money to improve your chance to rez. That's how their "permadeath" system actually works. The higher your level, the more inclined you'll be to cough up some dough, knowing what you will lose if you don't.

I will absolutely not be following this one.

"Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Seuss

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    It's a lobby based dungeon crawler / PvP arena and they have the gall to call it an MMORPG?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip

Cleves game was actuall;y supposed to come out in 1999/2000 I think but he is a perfectionist and kept "adding stuff"/"fixing stuff" etc - never satisfied. Now in 2012 he decided to release and honestly the Demo thats out there was ready to go... Add years worth of content and fixes to that-

So...13 years in vaporware?  Whoo, we in Nukem territory now.

Ed: Oh my.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Looks kinda bad for a new game.  Sounds interesting, but definitely looking at niche subscriber numbers.  Hopefully they will find a way to keep it profitable and updated with a low number of subs.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by 3-4thElf
    Originally posted by Purutzil

I know barely looking into it at all but...

"Wizardry Online"

That title alone makes me feel like its as far away from hardcore as feasibly possible. It just sounds like the complete opposite of hardcore if it was to have an opposite. The only thing I can think of that would sound less hardcore would be to call it "Rainbows Online".

Go play any of the old Wizardy titles. When you're lost, alone, and getting raped by Fuma Ninjas and Reapers then come back here and sound like you know what you're talking about.

Again, must emphasize as I mentioned above (granted I typoed Alone as Online but meh) the Wizardry title just doesn't make it sound hardcore. It has nothing at all to do with the gameplay, just the title. Not saying its not hardcore, just initially hearing the title the last thing I thoguht was hardcore.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Rampant PvP killing of others will see players earn the 'criminal' title and city guards will attack those players on site, forcing them into the less-reputable parts of town when they need a break or to sell things. In addition, the bounty system will curb the enthusiasm for out-of-control killing. Any player can put a bounty on any other player. Any player can accept that bounty and try their hand at bringing down the criminal. According to Tom, the higher the bounty, the better the chances are that the criminal will be taken out.

Meh, lost pretty much all interest in this... :/

Player self policing never worked, why doing it over again and expect different result? So foolish...

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

well i hate the asian style graphics its really not my type of thing...

but the rest of the game sounds pretty good.. PVP and perma death i really need to give this noe a go when it comes out..

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Gdemami

Rampant PvP killing of others will see players earn the 'criminal' title and city guards will attack those players on site, forcing them into the less-reputable parts of town when they need a break or to sell things.

In addition, the bounty system will curb the enthusiasm for out-of-control killing. Any player can put a bounty on any other player. Any player can accept that bounty and try their hand at bringing down the criminal. According to Tom, the higher the bounty, the better the chances are that the criminal will be taken out.

Player self policing never worked, why doing it over again and expect different result? So foolish...

Lemme tell you how well this system worked in UO for policing PKs -

not at all.

PKs cried and cried so Origin put in Red Healers. Then of course there was Bucs Den for easy banking, and you could use your own personal house for storage.

Devs have always coddled and babied the PK crowd to keep them playing, while all the players not interested in getting ganked constantly and having no chance of fighting back due to RPG (levels/skills/gear) simply stopped playing.

I hope this game only had a 10,000 dollar budget because that's about all they are going to get from the 150~ players left in the genre who want a game like this.

Difficult as hell PvE with Permadeath would be more interesting, but the PvP component - especially as poorly done as it sounds/looks like it is - ruins it.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Rampant PvP killing of others will see players earn the 'criminal' title and city guards will attack those players on site, forcing them into the less-reputable parts of town when they need a break or to sell things.

In addition, the bounty system will curb the enthusiasm for out-of-control killing. Any player can put a bounty on any other player. Any player can accept that bounty and try their hand at bringing down the criminal. According to Tom, the higher the bounty, the better the chances are that the criminal will be taken out.

not at all.

PKs cried and cried so Origin put in Red Healers. Then of course there was Bucs Den for easy banking, and you could use your own personal house for storage.

Devs have always coddled and babied the PK crowd to keep them playing, while all the players not interested in getting ganked constantly and having no chance of fighting back due to RPG (levels/skills/gear) simply stopped playing.

I hope this game only had a 10,000 dollar budget because that's about all they are going to get from the 150~ players left in the genre who want a game like this.

Difficult as hell PvE with Permadeath would be more interesting, but the PvP component - especially as poorly done as it sounds/looks like it is - ruins it.

Its only half of the truth, there is more to discourage PK, the soul-system for one, which should be very effective at discouraging PK.

Remember UO had no permadeath. For a PKer, one that does it for no gain but for the lulz, its going to be an excessively short experience.

If you damage your SL beyond recognition from PKing (so you have a near zero chance of a revive) and someone takes you down (and trust me, someone at some point -will-), you are gone. Trolls will have a hard time in this game, there isn't a way to offset your bad SL beyond forking over some real cash or making a new account.

"For the shitz" gankers aren't really known for their integrity, they will rather uninstall and go back to DF or EVE where death has minor consequences if they get caught (losing some ingame currency that can be offset by ganking more people).

Mechanically this might actually be the only game that can pull off self-policing, with any other game i would have agreed with you.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by AdamTM
    Originally posted by BadSpock

not at all.

Its only half of the truth, there is more to discourage PK, the soul-system for one, which should be very effective at discouraging PK.

Remember UO had no permadeath. For a PKer, one that does it for no gain but for the lulz, its going to be an excessively short experience.

If you damage your SL beyond recognition from PKing (so you have a near zero chance of a revive) and someone takes you down (and trust me, someone at some point -will-), you are gone. Trolls will have a hard time in this game, there isn't a way to offset your bad SL beyond forking over some real cash or making a new account.

"For the shitz" gankers aren't really known for their integrity, they will rather uninstall and go back to DF or EVE where death has minor consequences if they get caught (losing some ingame currency that can be offset by ganking more people).

Mechanically this might actually be the only game that can pull off self-policing, with any other game i would have agreed with you.

That's really what I'm worried about - there is ALWAYS a way out for the PK, always some system/exploit they can use to escape their punishment.

And depending on how much RPG grind there is to get the stats needed to complete a difficult dungeon, people are going to farm the easiest content they can to minimize the chance of death.

etc. etc. it's always the exact same tune. Might sound better on paper this time, but I have zero faith they'll pull it off in practice.

History hasn't been kind... UO, EvE, DF, MO... none have gotten it right.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Trolls will have a hard time in this game, there isn't a way to offset your bad SL beyond forking over some real cash or making a new account.

Big deal with F2P game...

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip

Cleves game was actuall;y supposed to come out in 1999/2000 I think but he is a perfectionist and kept "adding stuff"/"fixing stuff" etc - never satisfied. Now in 2012 he decided to release and honestly the Demo thats out there was ready to go... Add years worth of content and fixes to that-

So...13 years in vaporware?  Whoo, we in Nukem territory now.

Ed: Oh my.

Ice, we are WAAAAY past the point of vaporware-

But vaporware this is not... This was a complete game 15 years ago that the dev was not satisfied with (And there is a very big story behind all this which is entertaining as hell and nearly unbelievable....)

-The complete game (from 15+ years ago) has been added to, tweaked and fixed for over a decade and now Cleve isgoingto release (he is a perfectionist)

This wasnt an "ideal" or a "demo" or "on the drawing board"- This was pretty well in release state ....

-Your "Oh My" edit made me lol.. I take it you took a peek at the announcment thread =D

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

"Wizardry Online"

That title alone makes me feel like its as far away from hardcore as feasibly possible. It just sounds like the complete opposite of hardcore if it was to have an opposite. The only thing I can think of that would sound less hardcore would be to call it "Rainbows Online".

Go play any of the old Wizardy titles. When you're lost, alone, and getting raped by Fuma Ninjas and Reapers then come back here and sound like you know what you're talking about.

Again, must emphasize as I mentioned above (granted I typoed Alone as Online but meh) the Wizardry title just doesn't make it sound hardcore. It has nothing at all to do with the gameplay, just the title. Not saying its not hardcore, just initially hearing the title the last thing I thoguht was hardcore.

I mean they could've called it ANAL FIST ONLINE to catch attention, but to some of us the name "Wizardy" means hardcore.

a yo ho ho

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

"Wizardry Online"

I mean they could've called it ANAL FIST ONLINE to catch attention, but to some of us the name "Wizardy" means hardcore.

I would probably play ANAL FIST ONLINE...

"Wizardry Online"

I'd register the domain, but I'd like to run for public office one day.

a yo ho ho

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

"Wizardry Online"

That title online makes me feel like its as far away from hardcore as feasibly possible. It just sounds like the complete opposite of hardcore if it was to have an opposite. The only thing I can think of that would sound less hardcore would be to call it "Rainbows Online".

wizardry was one of the original hardcore RPG series

so yeah you did demonstrate knowing nothing GJ

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Actually, I think "LOLteabagLOL" as a title has enormous sales potential, within a certain market segment.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Icewhite

Actually, I think "LOLteabagLOL" as a title has enormous sales potential, within a certain market segment.

Redundant.

That's basically what Wizardy means to us.

a yo ho ho

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    i am gonna try it .it is in closed beta and its gonna be f2p . so what i do have to loose ?