Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] League of Legends: Good Behavior in League

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

It is not too uncommon for MMO developers to discourage poor behavior in their games. Less common is the opposite: Encouraging decent players to keep being decent. We take a look at that notion as it applies to League of Legends' attempt to honor their upstanding citizens. Read on!

There have been a lot of games that definitely discourage bad behavior. Whether it be through support, moderators, or even a tribunal system set up for the players to decide on the consequences of another's actions, there is a constant notion that if you do something bad, you're going to have a bad time. However, not too many games pick up on not only discouraging bad behavior, but encouraging good behavior. Sort of a rewards system amongst the players. Riot Games decided to experiment with this and put in an honor system in League of Legends. Not only do I think it has worked quite a bit, I think it is something the rest of the industry could perhaps explore.

Read more of Hillary Nicole's Pokket Says: Good Behavior in League.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• maddhatter44maddhatter44 Member Posts: 78
    other then most people trade honor/ go in with premade 5 and have both teams just give honor to everyone, obnoxious or not... sure good stuff.
  • handheldhandheld Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Originally posted by maddhatter44
    other then most people trade honor/ go in with premade 5 and have both teams just give honor to everyone, obnoxious or not... sure good stuff.

If the people who give you honor are on your friends list then the honor counts as less. Honor itself has a rating and you get more honor if some stranger gives it rather than if a friend does. Also asking for honor causes you to lose all honor points aqcuired if riot finds out and they do know.

• maddhatter44maddhatter44 Member Posts: 78
    yea, but I ment the honoring the other team. you dont have to ask anymore, most you have to to is say /all Honor the people that deserve it. and wam you will get 9. And getting bannered from only premades doesnt take long either.
  • handheldhandheld Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Originally posted by maddhatter44
    yea, but I ment the honoring the other team. you dont have to ask anymore, most you have to to is say /all Honor the people that deserve it. and wam you will get 9. And getting bannered from only premades doesnt take long either.

Thats the same as asking for honor and it will very quickly get your honor removed because they check that stuff.  A player i play with often had the exact thing happen to him because he kept doing exactly what you said and lost all of his honor points and was banned for it.

• BlackraynBlackrayn Member Posts: 142

I've spent way to many hours in this game and I will agree that since the honor intro, there have been less asshat occurance's. And along the lines of what hatter was saying, I agree there is probalby quite a bit of honor trading. When I play premades with 2-4 others we usually honor ourselves, unless we all sucked then I don't bother!

Quick fix would be for them not to let all teammates be honored! Instead have an MVP vote or a 1st and 2nd best player on your team vote! Would alleviate heavy honor trading with still allowing to award a good playing teammate!

• Rommie10-284Rommie10-284 Member UncommonPosts: 265

I really do like the idea of rewarding good behavior, as there' s been enough rewarding bad behavior for far too long.

Sadly, I see the "community" taking advantage of it and neutering the positive reinforcement, while still getting the cheese.  All they have to do is make it too difficult on the developer to track the work-arounds, and make said developer throw in the towel and give up on the idea.  (Or get the developer to not care anymore and do nothing, which still gets the cheese without having to worry about "honor" and still wins)

It's a start, and if enough games started using it, perhaps it could have a long-term influence.  I'd like to think so, but we all know about the current playerbase, and we all know it will resist a change in attitude forced on it.  I can still hope it happens, however.

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    How come this is so hard to believe? I played lol for about a month, I caught so much flak for being a noob, I decided its probably best I just don't play it.
  • BlackraynBlackrayn Member Posts: 142
     Rock I did to at first! But, them asshats are one reason I fell in love with this game! The more they bitched the more I strived to get better. And while I'm far from being on one of them championship teams, I think I've turned into a fairly solid LoL player! Just don't forget the bots are there for a reason! Use them! Learn ur champ! And in time the more you play, the more you learn what the skills and abilities of the other champs are!
  • hardiconhardicon Member UncommonPosts: 335

why do people care what anonymous idiots on the internet say.  if someone gets mad at me for killing them its just funny to me.  getting frustrated with having a bad day is normal, it happens to all of us and I may be pissed but the hell if im gonna get mad at the person that killed me. 

just tell em to kiss your butt and move on.

• trenshodtrenshod Member UncommonPosts: 128

Another lazy implementation of forcing the community to do what Riot should be doing. A clueless company creates clueless features. Two words "Vote Kick" Riot you can figure out the rest or can they.

sigh

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    Originally posted by Rockniss
    How come this is so hard to believe? I played lol for about a month, I caught so much flak for being a noob, I decided its probably best I just don't play it.

It's why I've played precisely 2 PVP (normal) games versus 1200 BOT matches. Play beginner bots till you get the hang of it, and then intermediate for some challenge. Not as much as other players of course, but the grief level is 1000x less. Sure, there's some idiots playing PvE too, but its much more acceptable than the PvP realm's "toxicity" as Riot likes to put it.

• FugglyFuggly Member Posts: 141
    op obviously does not play lol much or at all. honor system does absolutely nothing. only thing it did was made the game worse while giving the trolls playing it another epeen to wave around. have not seen the game change one bit, especially when you can just create account after account.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Maybe MMORPG.com can do somewhat of the same thing and allow us users to up-vote and down-vote posts.. Like Youtube, where I have seen a variety of silly or offensive posts get too many negative marks and it simply gets hidden from view unless someone specifically wants to view it, they will never see it..

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    First rule of honor points - Do not talk about honor points.
  • birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Lulz

• AhnogAhnog Member UncommonPosts: 240

There is a difference between being rude and being bad. Most games encourage bad behavior on the part of the faction that is expected to engage in it. Take SWTOR, for example, the Sith are expected to be bad.

One of the games that encourage bad behavior and rewards it is EVE. All kinds of thefts and scams and piracy go on and is not discouraged at all. It's part of the battle between the "immortals."

Ahnog

Hokey religions are no replacement for a good blaster at your side.