Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When will this unnecessary game bashing stop?

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by neobahamut20
    Originally posted by Reas43
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Sorry but the swtor bashing was justified.

Universal 9/10 reviews given to a mmo that played like an average sprpg

Where does that leave GW2?

GW2 doesn't punish people for doing things as a group if theyre not in the same party. That leaves GW2 as an MMORPG. Sure I can solo events, but I rarely get to prove I can since people always join in. Now in SW:TOR, you just wait till the guy finishes because its pointless for you to help him.

No it punishes players for other reasons, so his question is still valid.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I always get a kick out of those that complain about people complaining. image

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Why? Because:

"In the end, there can be only one!"

All die, so die well.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Zekiah

or better yet people who complain and those who complain about the ones who are complaining... or the best are ones who complain the ones complaining about the ones who complain about the complainers or even better the ones who... oh no think ive gone cross eyed

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• NaeviusNaevius Member UncommonPosts: 334

I try to remember that even games I dislike involve a lot of hard work by a lot of people, so I hate to bash them.

What I find really odd is people who jump on to forums to bash games they don't even play anymore.

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

"ill give you something to complain about."

You will sell out your own mother to SOE for Krono to play EQN, thats how great EQN will be. Firstborn will only get you a silver membership.

that should do it,

imageimage

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Naevius

What I find really odd is people who jump on to forums to bash games they don't even play anymore.

So it is okay to bash game you still play and not ok to bash game you (just) stopped playing?

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Navieus
    Do they though.

What if the devs of a game chuck out some half baked generic game the borrows all of its ideas from another game (typically wow) but implements them weakly. What if the devs think, "we can shove them any old shit, the mugs will buy it because of the ip"
    Originally posted by fenistil

So it is okay to bash game you still play and not ok to bash game you (just) stopped playing?

bashing in general seems like a waiste of time to me but I can see the need to get maybe a final review off your chest about a game.. but to sit in a games forums you dislike and don't play anymore on a daily basis does seem pretty strange to me.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

bashing in general seems like a waiste of time to me but I can see the need to get maybe a final review off your chest about a game.. but to sit in a games forums you dislike and don't play anymore on a daily basis does seem pretty strange to me.

Bashing may be a waste of time, but so is the never-ending defense of a game. People have different tastes. They will have different opinions as well. The last thing anyone needs is someone to continuously tell them they are wrong. It's not going to change their opinion. It'll just fuel the flames and bring more attention to whatever point the basher was trying to make.

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468
    I think game bashing is okay if points are put across and explanations made and possibly some sharing of the bashers experiences in said game. However, a WoW veteran of like say 5 years starting a hate thread in the GW2 section of the forums having never set foot in it before and saying how WoW is king and will never be beaten and something like "give up fan boyz LOL :D :D :D" etc is quite pointless isn't it?
  • trenshodtrenshod Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Originally posted by dreamsofwar

Please excuse and forgive this post if you disagree or I get my facts wrong. I am curious why most people constantly come on this site to troll and bash games that don't spell out doom and gloom for them or their gameplay experience?

Why must people jump up and immediately point fingers and foam spit out of their mouths if they don't like Guild Wars 2? Why get so angry if Turbine has layoffs? Why say a game is dead when there is a server merge? Why not just sit back and think for a moment?

I genuinly believe MMO's thrive on the success of others if they have the resourcefulness and cunning to adapt, which I believe a fair number do.

Do you think Rift would go out of its way to become more than just a themepark if it had no competition on the market? Do you think WoW would have adopted certain features of its competition over the years, despite being on top? What about LOTRO with RoR, the tagging system seems strangely similar to the system in GW2, doesn't it? It is also being called one of the best expansions in terms of improvements in gameplay for LOTRO. So you see competition improves games. Its healthy and its positive. So to the people that come here regularly and say things like "oh I hope x game dies because y game will kill it LOLOLOL", well I see this, I bloody well hope not. I may not be sold on GW2 yet but I am confident in the new features I will introduce, I am confident that some of these features might get into the heads of other developers and be expanded on or tweaked. 

What I hope people realize I'm trying to say is other MMO's shouldn't be looked at as enemies, something to be threatened and scared by to the extent that there is much time spent raging at the keyboard about how it sucks and nobody should play it. Why not look at it simply as a positive contribution towards this genre, no matter how small? Even if it is another cookie cutter theme park that can at first glance be passed off as a clone with no contribution towards the genre, how about simply looking at it as a positive thing? Plenty of theme park clones on the market would influence developers of new projects to steer away from that gameplay, to try something new.

Again, if my facts are wrong forgive me. However, I genuinly believe that all of this raging and trolls vs fan(atic)s is really quite meaningless.

The answer is quite simple actually if you aren't playing the game that the troll is playing everything else is pointless. If reading troll posts upsets you then your better off not venturing outside of that games forums. Keep in mind you will probably run into troll posts there as well but they should be far less frequent.

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738

Some people want reviews both good and bad. 

Maybe everybody writing good reviews likes things the reader does not care for and the people bashing the game may have similar or different views as well.

It is up to the reader to determine if the review is valid to them or not... an opinion is just an opinion.  If someone talks about fake facts they will be refuted.

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797

My unnecessary game bashing will not stop until said games are wiped from the face of the earth, wiped clean by the wrath of God!

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/th?id=I.4761650627281799&pid=15.1

Once upon a time....

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
      I dont mind people expressing their opinion , what I hate is when people show no objectivity or pretend as if they are speaking for the entire World instead of themselves
  • ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

Please excuse and forgive this post if you disagree or I get my facts wrong. I am curious why most people constantly come on this site to troll and bash games that don't spell out doom and gloom for them or their gameplay experience?

In all honestly, i stopped bashing other mmorpgs a few years ago. And not because they got any better, but even more i have given up.

Truth is, for a few people the genre developed in just a wrong way. It does not neseccarily mean that all those games are bad, they are just not what we have expected, what we have hoped for.

Look.. i play computer games since 30 years.. and online something around 20 years.. and i have see the evolution of a lot of genres, and non got that worse as the mmorpg genre... at least in my mind.

There is a overall tendency to make games more casual friendly, more fail proof(with other words simple), but at least they have improved on a lot of other territories, too. RTS evolved to a more tactical and diverse genre(there is a huge difference in gameplay between Starcraft, Dawn of War and the Total Wars Series. FPS evolved to more story based, more large scale(Doom vs. Battlefield/Tribes) and again more diverse with a lot more possibilities(vehicels and whatnot).

And what happend to the MMORPG genre?

We got UO with a lot of options of game play, afterwards SWG, which build up on it with a little different approach(avoiding full out pvp).. and then? WoW, AoC, WAR, Rift, GW2. I could add more games.. but that is seriously enough to get the trend.

• Gameplay is more or less completely reduced to combat.
    • there is one strictly path to follow
    • stale end game with completely useless gear grind or ranking tables or even the lack of
    In the past i bashed WoW a lot.. but i seriously have given up.. i just dont comment any more for any specific game, because hell, you could name ANY MMORPG  of the recent years and could say basicly the same about it.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Originally posted by cybertrucker

I find it humorous at times. Seeing people post things like "I played the game for 500 hours and it's terrible I will never go back"  what even makes it more humorous is that many times in these posts the game has only  been out for 2 months. 

My recommendation is to get a job and a life. I would hate everything too if all I did was sit in front of the computer playing 22 hours a day.

LOL,  Agree a BIG 100%. people always come on and say, "I have 4 characters at level 130, but I cannot stand the game"

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    People will stop bashing games, well probably not, but if games werent so 'overhyped' in the first place then maybe the 'bashing' wouldnt be so 'pointed', the question is, when is it considered to be unnecessary bashing, because if the bashing is over issues that really do affect players, or features of a game that are either missing or plain broken, etc. then bashing a game is neither unnecessary nor unearned. Too many games have released with 'issues' that they have done so after being 'hyped' means they earn every column inch of bashing they got for it. Personally i'd rather hear the good and the bad about a game before risking money on it, at least then my choice is an informed one. So, i don't think there is such a thing as 'unnecessary' game bashing, as long as its more than just saying a game is bad, but actually has some reasoning included.image
  • MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459
    Human nature pretty much says game bashing will never stop as long as more than one game exists. Even if only one game exists someone will probably bash it.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by eddieg50
    Originally posted by cybertrucker

I find it humorous at times. Seeing people post things like "I played the game for 500 hours and it's terrible I will never go back"  what even makes it more humorous is that many times in these posts the game has only  been out for 2 months. 

My recommendation is to get a job and a life. I would hate everything too if all I did was sit in front of the computer playing 22 hours a day.

LOL,  Agree a BIG 100%. people always come on and say, "I have 4 characters at level 130, but I cannot stand the game"

Agree as well! LOL see that all the time. smh or my personal favorite. "I paid a sub fee to this game for seven years, and now a B2P game wants me to spend $10 one time?!?!? What a rip off!" (that's $180 a year for most people who don't do annual passes btw) smh

oh no think ive gone cross eyed

5k+ posts in 8 months will do that to ya lol. 

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

But thousands of posts defending Guild Wars 2 seems rational to you.

Heeeh! Like I said, I get a kick out of the fanboi vs. hater threads. People have different opinions, get over it. image

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Well, the big game opening at the end of  last year still gets a half-hearted bashing from time to time, but most of the determination is gone.

I'd say most of it takes place in the first six-nine months.  Depends on other major releases.

I started to feel bad about SWTOR, in the end it felt like kicking a puppy that was biting its own paws off already, 

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

I just get a kick out of people who jump on every thread about a particular game and talk about how much they don't like it, or how boring it was.  Then they make a thread saying the same thing.  Then they jump back on other threads to talk about how lame the game is.

It is amazing to me how much time someone will spend thinking/talking about a game they think sucks.  Yep, makes sense.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

But thousands of posts defending Guild Wars 2 seems rational to you.

Heeeh! Like I said, I get a kick out of the fanboi vs. hater threads. People have different opinions, get over it. image

again try sitting in a room for 12 hours a day with nothing to do.. i try to work on my degree but end just getting sleepy, at least these forums keep my mind going.. i'm a lifer in the military anyway so got many years to work on my degree... only 1 more year of this duty and i'm out of this place:) 

in red why do i care what peoples opinions of a game are? i'm just discussing them simple as that