Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

POLL - Who continues to play and who stops?

Comments

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Currently lvl 75 and mostly working on personal story (decided to follow my story through the game as my first go round).  Still having a blast and log in at least twice a week (total of 8 hours/week roughly); more if I can.

Once I hit 80, I plan on concentrating on exploration/map completion/jumping puzzles.  Then eventually plan to do some WvWvW and dungeon runs.

Still have lots to do!

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    Originally posted by just1opinion
    18.8, 17.3, 10.2 are the percentages of people still playing and enjoying it.  That's about 46.3 percent.  I imagine that that holds up to most recent games and probably surpasses some in player retention.  Remembering, however, that this is a very small cross section of the player base that is being polled here. 

What I've seen with other games is that sites like these (enthusiast sites) can lead on trends.  That means, for example, we will typically leave a game faster than "the masses" will, but soon after you will see the trend continue.  The same thing happened with TOR.  Many of us were on this website early on making complaints about the game's issues long before the rest of the world caught on.  It just doesn't take very long for veteran MMO enthusiasts to deconstruct these issues and see the writing on the wall.

I'm sure this game will still do quite well.  The true "normal" for an MMO is likely much closer to about 500K players than any other larger numbers everyone expects.    Corporate idiots are expecting millions of players though, so who knows how this may affect the company.  Any MMO company that is expecting more than 500k players, is nuts in my opinion.  If they get more, GOOD, but if they are relying on more for long term income, they are off their rockers. Especially in a pure themepark in a saturated market.

This site does cater to a specific type of MMO player and it doesn't lead , whines, yes (and I have done it too), lead no.

The MMO market is NOT saturated at all, if anything could use more people playing. That is why GW2 is good game for new players as it wets their appetite for MMO's and draws more people in to play them. After all, don't we want to grow the market not make games specific types of people (eg, hardcore players, PvPers, etc)? I think so. There is room for all types of games.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by botrytis
    18.8, 17.3, 10.2 are the percentages of people still playing and enjoying it.  That's about 46.3 percent.  I imagine that that holds up to most recent games and probably surpasses some in player retention.  Remembering, however, that this is a very small cross section of the player base that is being polled here. 

What I've seen with other games is that sites like these (enthusiast sites) can lead on trends.  That means, for example, we will typically leave a game faster than "the masses" will, but soon after you will see the trend continue.  The same thing happened with TOR.  Many of us were on this website early on making complaints about the game's issues long before the rest of the world caught on.  It just doesn't take very long for veteran MMO enthusiasts to deconstruct these issues and see the writing on the wall.

I'm sure this game will still do quite well.  The true "normal" for an MMO is likely much closer to about 500K players than any other larger numbers everyone expects.    Corporate idiots are expecting millions of players though, so who knows how this may affect the company.  Any MMO company that is expecting more than 500k players, is nuts in my opinion.  If they get more, GOOD, but if they are relying on more for long term income, they are off their rockers. Especially in a pure themepark in a saturated market.

This site does cater to a specific type of MMO player and it doesn't lead , whines, yes (and I have done it too), lead no.

The MMO market is NOT saturated at all, if anything could use more people playing. That is why GW2 is good game for new players as it wets their appetite for MMO's and draws more people in to play them. After all, don't we want to grow the market not make games specific types of people (eg, hardcore players, PvPers, etc)? I think so. There is room for all types of games.

You can play Mr Cool all you want, but I've been here watching the trends for years now.  What I have seen with themepark games is, we typically get back here and report issues and potential issues with the games right away.  That's because we are vets, and we know what to look for.  You simply cannot deny that.

There was a handful of vets here that were reporting major problem with TOR, for example, within a week or two of starting the game.  In fact, we were getting utterly bashed by all the players who still thought the game was just wonderful.  Within 60 more days, most people around here were singing the same tune we were.  It's happened on a lot of these games.

The MMO genre is saturated with also-WoW games.  People are spreading out between them based on which ever one appeals to them the most.  Others are leaving and going to play other games while they wait for true innovation in the form of hybrids, or high quality sandboxes.

Sure, they can keep throwing more WoW clones into the mix, but they certainly aren't going to be seeing millions of players in their games.

Up until now, I have generally supported the MMORPG genre. I have purchased every major MMO that has come out for years, and I have even supported several indy efforts.  I will not be purchasing another themepark ever again until I see something so extraordinary I can't stand it.  So far, I see nothing like this on the horizon.  

I will, however, spend money on games that dare to break the mould and go towards sandbox development.  Sure, there will always be room for themeparks, but there is a growing segment of players who are basically sick and tired of them.

Also, for the time being YES WE ARE saturated in player base.  We are not seeing significant numbers of people coming to this genre to play games other than WoW.  As for the major current MMO themeparks, there's what, a few million people spread between them?

There's nothing to draw in new people.  It's all the same crap.  If anything, the genre is likely bleeding players who came in with WoW, and weren't really MMO players in the first place.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I never made it past the early 20's on any of my 5 characters.  I quit a couple of months ago and won't be going back.

• DracSchniderDracSchnider Member UncommonPosts: 223

I do love the game however there are a few things I do no like about it that makes me want to play less.

First of all I am in all exotics and have pretty much everything I need other than Skins... Now as to the Skins this is the part I dont like.  I dont feel motivated to grind out skins just to look diffrent.  I would rather have items liek legendary or other dungeon gear or karma gear be better than standard exotics.  If I just look diffrent but dont hit harder is it really worth my time?   This is where meh comes in once ou get 80 and all your skills other than skins there is really very few options to do. WvsW. SPVP or PVE some more... but why? what do I get for sinking time in WvsW... woot we won!.. wait what did we win oh right tokens for another skin, or buy some more seige equipment  End game people want to be unquie, and important.  Skins help but anyone can grind out a skin... so what Skill?  Don't get me started on that.   We all know certian classes have larger advatages to others which makes skills not so much required to appear good.

But look at the other side I can walk away and come back not thinking about the monthly fee and inbetween patches here and there things change and you spend more time playing for some fun.  I just been feeling meh about it. perhaps I am narrow focused or been spoiled with other mmo's.    Just my thoughts.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

You can play Mr Cool all you want, but I've been here watching the trends for years now.  What I have seen with themepark games is, we typically get back here and report issues and potential issues with the games right away.  That's because we are vets, and we know what to look for.  You simply cannot deny that.

There was a handful of vets here that were reporting major problem with TOR, for example, within a week or two of starting the game.  In fact, we were getting utterly bashed by all the players who still thought the game was just wonderful.  Within 60 more days, most people around here were singing the same tune we were.  It's happened on a lot of these games.

The MMO genre is saturated with also-WoW games.  People are spreading out between them based on which ever one appeals to them the most.  Others are leaving and going to play other games while they wait for true innovation in the form of hybrids, or high quality sandboxes.

Sure, they can keep throwing more WoW clones into the mix, but they certanly aren't going to be seeing millions of players in their games.

Up until now, I have generally supported the MMORPG genre. I have purchased every major MMO that has come out for years, and I have even supported several indy efforts.  I will not be purchasing another themepark ever again until I see something so extraordinary I can't stand it.  So far, I see nothing like this on the horizon.  

I will, however, spend money on games that dare to break the mould and go towards sandbox development.  Sure, there will always be room for themeparks, but there is a growing segment of players who are basically sick and tired of them.

GW1 had it's detractors and look how long that game has been around? I remeber people saying, on other forums, that the game won't last long, etc.

As I said, the market is not saturated. We need more and different types of  MMO games. I did play TSW, it was not for me, BUT I can see it was a different design/storyline and I applaud that type of thinking. We do need to grow this area or it WILL die.

Sandbox games don't appeal to ALL players, no game does. You think that a good Sandbox game will have more players? I don't think so - it caters to a small group players, but their needs do need to be met.

Sure, they can keep throwing more WoW clones into the mix, but they certanly aren't going to be seeing millions of players in their games.

GW1 has it's detractors and look how long that game has been around?

As I said, the market is not saturated. We need more different types of games. I did play TSW, it was not for me, BUT I can see it was a different design/storyline. We do need to grow this are or it WILL die.

I played GW1 as well.  I'm not saying there won't be players, I'm saying there won't be millions of players in these also-WoW games like these corporate suits seem to think.  GW2 has the best chance to hold more players, IMO, but that remains to be seen.

TSW is a very fun game, and for me it was the best themepark put out this year.  I highly recommend trying it if you get bored with GW2.  However, it's the same problems over and over again.  Content chase.  Even if you take your time, it takes 30-60 days to finish the PvE content and all you are left with is a dungeon grind that quickly becomes boring.

Smedly has said, and it's something I've been saying for more than five years now, that these games are going to have to evolve more towards player generated content and "emergent gameplay" in order to keep people around longer.  In other words, they are going to have to start incorporating features that are much more like a sandbox games.  

What we have now is a genre full of games that took five years to develop, but that players are done with inside of 30-90 days.  That's what happens when all of the content of a game is contrived and static.  

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

I'm so over it, I can't even finish the PvE content anymore.  I'm looking for a long term game to play, one that is multi-faceted in gameplay, not just questing.  I look at GW2 and I see that there are no real community features to speak of.  There's nothing that really brings players together to build an in-game community.  Crafting is a complete waste of time, serving no real purpose in the game.  I tried several large guilds where supposedly tons of players were online, but no one saying a word to each other either in voice or in chat.

What I have heard of Wild Star doesn't sound all that great either so far.  They are talking a big game, but all I'm hearing is about a housing system which is basically just another take on instanced housing.  Then they talk about integrating the game with Facebook and social media.

Does *ANYONE* on this website want their MMO games integrated with Facebook and Twitter? Does that make your game "social"? 

Who comes up with this garbage?

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    GW2 is the game I play when I have only 30-min to an hr to kill.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

which is fine although not sure how you can get anything done especially in the later zones when some events take at least 30 min to complete and usually chain into others I usually end up going for 2 hours and wonder where the time went.. also in WvW can't really get much acomplished in 30 min

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

which is fine although not sure how you can get anything done especially in the later zones when some events take at least 30 min to complete and usually chain into others I usually end up going for 2 hours and wonder where the time went.. also in WvW can't really get much acomplished in 30 min

I treat it more like a console game. Combat is fun to play as it is. I have no intention of ever really progressing like it's my MMO of choice. Levels are meaning less to me. It's still fun to log in and bash some skulls for a bit. 

Edit: I might also mention, I take Rift and even occasionally, WoW, in short doses as well. Rift, It's nothing for me to log in do half a zones worth of dailys and if no invasion pops up anywhere, log off and call it a day. (if you reacall my post in the rift forums about just now completing my Order of Mathos Rep)

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

I'm so over it, I can't even finish the PvE content anymore.  I'm looking for a long term game to play, one that is multi-faceted in gameplay, not just questing.  I look at GW2 and I see that there are no real community features to speak of.  There's nothing that really brings players together to build an in-game community.  Crafting is a complete waste of time, serving no real purpose in the game.  I tried several large guilds where supposedly tons of players were online, but no one saying a word to each other either in voice or in chat.

What I have heard of Wild Star doesn't sound all that great either so far.  They are talking a big game, but all I'm hearing is about a housing system which is basically just another take on instanced housing.  Then they talk about integrating the game with Facebook and social media.

Does *ANYONE* on this website want their MMO games integrated with Facebook and Twitter? Does that make your game "social"? 

Who comes up with this garbage?

No offense, but posts like this just don't really make much sense to me. Community features? What exactly do you mean by this?

I find it very tough to say the game has no community. It seems more a case of 'the game has no community that I'm a part of' or 'the game doesn't force me to be part of a community'. Not only does the game have multiple / regular podcasts for it, but it also has a lot of people sharing their experiences ingame. There's a number of community sites, and tools available for players. There's even been a community supported mod for the game (that Anet has also unofficially supported, even with their EULA). There are still players working together in game, and I still don't have much trouble with dungeon groups. Even during non-peak hours (which is surprising).

So I'm just curious as to what you consider a game to be in order to constitute 'having a community'. What features you consider 'community features', etc. I see a game that was basically built around people playing together, and this honestly puzzles me. Sure there could be more, like player housing, but I don't find that essential to community building. Things like ressing players, /map, /team chat & the way PvP, WvW, and events work leads to a lot of people coordinating together. Guild Banners tend to rally people in certain areas for the buffs as well as the nearby events. Dungeon mechanics tend to lead to more cooperative groups, and as a result more ingame friends (should you choose to socialize with them afterwards).

I honestly can't think of a game that I've had a better time w/ the players in a while.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

I treat it more like a console game. Combat is fun to play as it is. I have no intention of ever really progressing like it's my MMO of choice. Levels are meaning less to me. It's still fun to log in and bash some skulls for a bit. 

which again is fine but still can't see how anyone can really get much done in this game in 30 min aside from maybe a few sPVP matches or a dungeon speed run or some crafting but to each their own I guess.. i also have hard time playing console games for only 30 min as I get engrossed in the game if it's good and time flies.. was playing xcom the other day and only planned on playing for an hour then 3 hours later I was like oh damn so much for the hour.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

which again is fine but still can't see how anyone can really get much done in this game in 30 min aside from maybe a few sPVP matches or a dungeon speed run or some crafting but to each their own I guess.. i also have hard time playing console games for only 30 min as I get engrossed in the game if it's good and time flies.. was playing xcom the other day and only planned on playing for an hour then 3 hours later I was like oh damn so much for the hour.

I dinged 90 in WoW last week. Haven't logged back in since.

Why do you get so wrapped up in the time people spend in these games? Players post they got burn out when their game hours are high, and you say, No wonder you get burned out. Then I came in and said, I have fewer hrs spread out here and there. and you ask how can I get much done? Fist does it matter? Second, I really don't. As I said, It took over a year to complete one of my rep grinds. Everyone's happy medium is different. This is how I keep from getting burned out in MMOs.  By not completing much. It's not always like that, Sometimes I have specific goals that require longer sessions. But then I am done for a day, probably several in those cases.

I bought MoP before the new expansion released. I've had it sine it launced. I only just hit 90 on a pally this past week. I haven't logged back in since. I'll finsihs the 2 zones I have left and go from there when I feel like it.

When I get Storm Legion. I will not be racing to 60 so I can raid. I will play out the expansion for what it has. If it takes me loger to get raid gear, so be it. If I get left behind. (Really don't see that happening though, not for a while anyway) so be it.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    I hit 80 awhile ago, but i've stopped playing for now.  I've hit MMO burnout and need a break.  I'll just do some real life things that i need to get done.  I'll come back though for the November update.
  • Grimrist000Grimrist000 Member Posts: 82

not to mention ANYONE on this site with an account can vote. meaning some people who have never really touched the game can freely vote on the most negative option. sure the most rabid fans  will vote for the best option but at least it's pretty much guaranteed that they actually play the game.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592
    I'm level 78 with about 50% map completion. I also have two low level alts that I'm working on. I'll be playing regularly for a long time.

<3

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Demogorgon

So only 7% didn't fell for a hyped instant gratification shallow kids game & are actually asking for more depth & maturity in their games?

Dissapointing.

Only 7% of people, in this forumimage

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

Seems like currently 48% of the people who have played it are bored and 52% keep playing with some regularity. This reminds me a bit of Diablo 3's progression, considering the game's been out only a couple of months. 

I think Guild Wars 2 is a good game, but if it's lost already half the players it's not having as much success as I expected. Of course this poll isn't significative, but truly successfull games don't only retain their players, they increase over time.

Even then, I don't think they're losing money with this one. We'll see the expansions, I'm pretty sure they'll have a lot of returning players when they're released.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    I grinded for 1 exotic and part of a legendary weapon which turned into an exotic weapon after just simply doing the same thing over and over again and crafting / sp grinding. May return to finish up doing that and for future events but don't log in everyday anymore.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• sketchy_sketchy_ Member UncommonPosts: 137
    Full exotic, 100% map and still rocking it in WvW.

"If I had a d*ck, I'd go get laid. But we can do that next best thing... Let's kill people."

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Still enjoying GW2 In a small casual guild that understands it's ok not to hit 80 in 3 days. I'm sorry some did not enjoy the game. Hope you find what fits for you. Question is why do you keep coming here to rant?
  • KeushpuppyKeushpuppy Member UncommonPosts: 171

how about an option for not even close to 80 and lost all desire to play. going to give my account to my grandson.

going back to the secret world.

• NierroNierro Member UncommonPosts: 1,755

I'm not yet 80 and have logged on maybe three times these past two months, for less than an hour each time. I followed the game very closely during its development and eagerly anticipated every BWE/chance to play the game before release. I really wanted a lasting and engaging MMO but unfortunately GW2 just doesn't do it for me. I feel no compelling reason to log in.

I laud the combat system, the gorgeous open world, the quest design (for the most part), and balanced sPvP. However sPvP is as shallow and pointess as a 10 minute match in Call of Duty, but with fewer and smaller maps and even less to work towards. WvW has been the most disappointing experience for me in my 10ish year history of MMO gaming, as I had hoped it would measure up even remotely to DAoC's RvR. This makes the lack of open world PvP even more inexcusable to me.

GW2 was the only MMO I ever pre-ordered and I won't make the same mistake again.

Edit: Read my August 16th "reviewette" and compare it to this post and you'll understand how little lasting appeal this game has. As soon as I was able to play regularly I discovered that there wasn't much below the surface and my experience with GW2 has only gone down hill from there.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Level 80, and pretty much just WvW'ing. My motivation to chase map completion has gotten lower and lower as I get closer to doing it (currently at 82% world completion). Not really interested in playing alts. Don't like SPvP at all. Haven't finished my personal story, I'm up to an underwater step in the Straits of Devastation and have no enthusiasm for it.

Luckily we've got a really good WvW matchup this week - last week my server was so dominant it was pointless, and the week before, one of the other servers in our group dominated us so hard it was pointless.