Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

BadSpock's Hitting Bottom: A Re-Review

Comments

• BadSpockBadSpock Somewhere, MIPosts: 7,974Member
    Originally posted by lifeordinary
    So Spock your problem is that you don't have time to socialize or feel too old to make new friends? but i don't see how is that GW2's fault. If that is your main problem and reason you stopped playing i think the long OP was completely irrelevant isn't it?

Yes and no.

I know the problems I found with the game are in part due to my own issues with gaming and MMO gaming in general.

Yet issues like Orr sucking and the big meta-event bosses sucking are actual issues w/ the game that just compound my own disinterest.

Lots of what I said is of course subjective, but it'd be hard to hear anyone justify what Orr has become and what these mega-events are like.

I think GW2 is a really great MMO with some really great ideas that if you are able to fully immerse yourself in would be / is a great, great MMO.

But for someone like me who has limited time, attention span, and is generally burned out - I just need a quick fix and the carrot chasing LFG/insant action etc. of other games is just more appealing to me at this point.

• WraithoneWraithone Salt Lake City, UTPosts: 3,593Member Uncommon

You've made it further than I did.  I only managed to get to level 60, warrior, before I said to hell with it, and went back to the Land of the Panda.  I have my warrior to 90, and a panda monk to 35.  But I'm not certain I'm going to take it to 90.  This would be my 10th time through this content.  Its an interesting class, but I have others that do different things I'm interested in better.

Right now I'm playing RaiderZ. Its quite the entertaining game, and I actually enjoy the active combat system.

Guild wars 2 is very polished, but I really do not care for the combat system. It seems way too limited, and I agree, that I spend way too much time waiting for cool downs, and none of the abilities really stand out.  Over all, I suspect its main focus of exploration and achivement suits certain people. Many others are left asking "Wheres the beef?"...

• lifeordinarylifeordinary AgadirPosts: 646Member
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    So Spock your problem is that you don't have time to socialize or feel too old to make new friends? but i don't see how is that GW2's fault. If that is your main problem and reason you stopped playing i think the long OP was completely irrelevant isn't it?

Yes and no.

I know the problems I found with the game are in part due to my own issues with gaming and MMO gaming in general.

Yet issues like Orr sucking and the big meta-event bosses sucking are actual issues w/ the game that just compound my own disinterest.

Lots of what I said is of course subjective, but it'd be hard to hear anyone justify what Orr has become and what these mega-events are like.

I think GW2 is a really great MMO with some really great ideas that if you are able to fully immerse yourself in would be / is a great, great MMO.

But for someone like me who has limited time, attention span, and is generally burned out - I just need a quick fix and the carrot chasing LFG/insant action etc. of other games is just more appealing to me at this point.

Fair enough but after reading your post i felt that your main problem is 'inablity to socialize'.

• RomeuFCRRomeuFCR SPosts: 58Member

I think it's time people realize someting, hopefully one day threads like these will stop popping up every second!

My best friend started playing GW2 with me, I think he was lvl 40ish when he said that

"This is still not the MMO I'm looking for, there's a lot of things that I was hoping for that don't exist... bla bla bla"

Now I will give to you the same reply I gave him, and it applies to everyone that keeps complaining and saying that "It's GW2 fault that I quit playing it"

It is not GW2 fault if you started playing it and eventually quit and went back to MMO X, it's your fault for being addicted to MMO X and trying to cure your addiction with a new one, unfortunately for you GW2 wasn't the drug you were looking for... so you went back to the familiar one.

Most people go back because it's "familiar" to them, either due to friends/guildies or because they rather be mindlessly bored in something they already know inside and out than in something new.

GW2 isn't that different from other major MMOs in the market, so if you're not enjoying it and go back to whatever other major MMO you were playing before then it's exactly the case I just described, you're just another zombie... nothing wrong with it, just don't put the blame on GW2 for not being the cure for your illness. It never even promised that to begin with.

It really pisses me off this constant, "Oh it's just another MMO... I'll wait for the next one, that will be a true sandbox experience, that's what I want"

THERE WILL NEVER BE SUCH AN MMO!.... now give yourselves time for this information to sink in.

Human beings are never satisfied, never.... it's part of the human condition. So by association, you will never find the MMO that has everything you want... it will never exist. Don't bother trying to argue that it does, because it doesn't.

What does exist is some MMO that you accept even with the flaws you very well know it has, because the pros outweight the cons. And that's perfectly fine!!! Just don't come here and preach that GW2 is a disapointment, and that it failed, and that it's not very good. Simply isn't true, it just doesn't fit your impossible expectations.

It is everyone's fault that MMOs are underperforming, because MMO gamers are the worst kind of gamers... whiny and self-entitled, most don't even understand what a good MMO is! They just need a fix of something for a while and then move on to the new drug, complain that it's not like the old drug and then go back to the old one... and this cycle repeats ad nauseum.

Don't like it... don't play it, it couldn't be farther from the truth saying something isn't good just because you're not capable of handling it.

Playing:

RIFT, EU Blightweald Server

Waiting to see:

ToR, TERA, GW2

Yes and no.

Fair enough but after reading your post i felt that your main problem is 'inablity to socialize'.

That's probably true.

I just don't have the time, patience, and dedication to really "immerse" myself in a MMO anymore - and part of that immersion to me (a major part) is the socialization.

No matter what game it is, EvE, WoW, TOR, GW2...

I know in a lot of ways it is me, not the games. I accept that.

And I've said, GW2 is a great game - best to be released since WoW 2004. Without a doubt in my mind.

Does it have issues? Yes - and I think I highlighted some of them in my OP. But name a MMO that doesn't have issues?

I'll be playing Xbox shooters with my friends/family for social gaming time.

For personal gaming time, I'll probably play something I can hop in and have some fun and make some progress - chasing carrots.

• CelciusCelcius Posts: 1,001Member Uncommon
    Its not for everyone, especially those who want the "carrot on a stick". The problem is that is not the way to handle things now as with a carrot on a stick you have to have gated content and with gated content you will not cater to the vast majority of players. As someone who is in the vast majority I find myself quite enthralled by the game still. I actually thought the statistical progression of games like WoW was kind of a joke compared to cosmetic progression. Especially lately when MMO themeparks have made content last longer by adding "hard modes" that simply make the fight have maybe one new mechanic that barely changes the fight and higher damage/hp requirements. You pretty much gear up and triviliaze that "hard mode" content and you end up in the same situation as you would have had cosmetic progression. The key difference here is that you can always play with your friends and won't leave people behind as well as it keeping the entire game relevant all the time. 
  • darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Brooklyn, NYPosts: 1,164Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by RomeuFCR

I think it's time people realize someting, hopefully one day threads like these will stop popping up every second!

My best friend started playing GW2 with me, I think he was lvl 40ish when he said that

"This is still not the MMO I'm looking for, there's a lot of things that I was hoping for that don't exist... bla bla bla"

Now I will give to you the same reply I gave him, and it applies to everyone that keeps complaining and saying that "It's GW2 fault that I quit playing it"

It is not GW2 fault if you started playing it and eventually quit and went back to MMO X, it's your fault for being addicted to MMO X and trying to cure your addiction with a new one, unfortunately for you GW2 wasn't the drug you were looking for... so you went back to the familiar one.

Most people go back because it's "familiar" to them, either due to friends/guildies or because they rather be mindlessly bored in something they already know inside and out than in something new.

GW2 isn't that different from other major MMOs in the market, so if you're not enjoying it and go back to whatever other major MMO you were playing before then it's exactly the case I just described, you're just another zombie... nothing wrong with it, just don't put the blame on GW2 for not being the cure for your illness. It never even promised that to begin with.

It really pisses me off this constant, "Oh it's just another MMO... I'll wait for the next one, that will be a true sandbox experience, that's what I want"

THERE WILL NEVER BE SUCH AN MMO!.... now give yourselves time for this information to sink in.

Human beings are never satisfied, never.... it's part of the human condition. So by association, you will never find the MMO that has everything you want... it will never exist. Don't bother trying to argue that it does, because it doesn't.

What does exist is some MMO that you accept even with the flaws you very well know it has, because the pros outweight the cons. And that's perfectly fine!!! Just don't come here and preach that GW2 is a disapointment, and that it failed, and that it's not very good. Simply isn't true, it just doesn't fit your impossible expectations.

It is everyone's fault that MMOs are underperforming, because MMO gamers are the worst kind of gamers... whiny and self-entitled, most don't even understand what a good MMO is! They just need a fix of something for a while and then move on to the new drug, complain that it's not like the old drug and then go back to the old one... and this cycle repeats ad nauseum.

Don't like it... don't play it, it couldn't be farther from the truth saying something isn't good just because you're not capable of handling it.

I dont think anyone (or at least myself) is blaming GW2.  I cant blame a product for my decisions.  We are just stating what the game was lacking that made us (at least me) loose interest.  No different than people who state why they absolutely love the game (but there is no opposition against that as there is here).

People play games for different reasons.  Some developers cater to those more than others.  When a game doesnt present what you are looking for (but was expected) they will stop playing the game.  It doesn't make someone a "zombie"  Why resort to name calling and labelling?  Just because you like the game and someone else doesn't?

Half of you on here need a hug.  You get too sensitive over an opinion and attack it as opposed to just having a discusion.

But yeah I know, this is MMORPG...    But I can still dream ;-)

• RidelynnRidelynn Fresno, CAPosts: 4,179Member Uncommon

Can't please all of the people all of the time. Hope you find something enjoyable in the mean time.

• RomeuFCRRomeuFCR SPosts: 58Member
    Originally posted by darkhalf357x
    Originally posted by RomeuFCR

I dont think anyone (or at least myself) is blaming GW2.  I cant blame a product for my decisions.  We are just stating what the game was lacking that made us (at least me) loose interest.  No different than people who state why they absolutely love the game (but there is no opposition against that as there is here).

People play games for different reasons.  Some developers cater to those more than others.  When a game doesnt present what you are looking for (but was expected) they will stop playing the game.  It doesn't make someone a "zombie"  Why resort to name calling and labelling?  Just because you like the game and someone else doesn't?

Half of you on here need a hug.  You get too sensitive over an opinion and attack it as opposed to just having a discusion.

But yeah I know, this is MMORPG...    But I can still dream ;-)

Don't you find it at least a little bit hypocritical that a lot of (and it really is a lot of) people who start "I quit" threads usually end up going back to an MMO that boiled down to the basics is exactly the same as the one they're quitting, just with a different name and scenario?

It's just a matter of confort, what our mind perceives as it, by returning to something that a) Has people that we already know, b) Doesn't offer us any resistance, meaning we already know all the mechanics and such.

Zombies nowadays are cool, so it wasn't name calling ehehe. Just a joke to lighen up...

Well, now more seriously, I was a "slave" to an MMO for years and years, and I did all the same "I'll quit" speeches just to find myself returning to it because, hey... I enjoyed it for so many time, why not keep enjoying it. But the truth is most people are "zombified" by this, because they're not actually enjoying themselves anymore... they just need something so that they won't quit MMO'ing cold turkey.

This is not a crazy theory, there is extensive research into the field of gaming, social networking, etc etc that supports that we, humans, have a tendency to immerse ourselves too much in fantasy worlds.

It is my honest belief that a lot of gamers (like everyone else in different areas of life) don't really know what they want... they just know they need something.

Playing:

RIFT, EU Blightweald Server

Waiting to see:

ToR, TERA, GW2

• RhianneRhianne Chicago, ILPosts: 58Member Uncommon

Perfect post, BadSpock! I agree with every single point, from GW2's good ideas but poor sense of accomplishment and fun to the general malaise about MMOs in general.

I thought GW2 was going to finally provide a game "home" after so many years of disappointments. I really wanted it to, and I was cautiously optomistic while playing through the PvE content.

Sadly, it all became quickly pointless. PvE leads nowhere. Veteran and champion level enemies with thousands or millions of extra health that yield nothing are tedious enough by themselves to make me avoid the game in disgust. sPvP is always one-sided or it teleports you to the losing team with no hope of recovery. And WvW, which I had hoped would be an epic ongoing tactical battle of awesomeness, turned out to be a stunning disappointment of zergishness that throws character planning and strategy in the garbage.

I wish I had another game to recommend and raise your spirits, BadSpock, but I'm in the same boat you are. (Well, technically not, since I'm not on board the IIS Enterprise.) My only recourse at the moment is Nefflix. :/ If you learn of any promising new games, please let me know!

• pedrostrikpedrostrik lisboaPosts: 391Member

i was away 1 week and come in again and having a blast again, playing in periods and with friendly guild helps a lot,

Originally posted by Rhianne
    If you learn of any promising new games, please let me know!

I'm looking at FFXIV: ARR, Neverwinter, ESO, and a few Korean imports right now.

FFXIV just because I love FF universe/settings/characters and I really hope it offers a lot of compelling party-based gameplay.

Neverwinter almost exclusively for the Foundry.

ESO for their multi-layered progression systems (and general ES love).

Archeage, Black Dessert, etc. from the East for maybe a glimpse at something more unique - but I never hold my breathe for Eastern games to pan out as advertised.

• keitholikeitholi biddeford, MEPosts: 138Member

I cant help but agree with you here. They do some things quite marvelously, which you detailed well enough, but I also started missing the trinity about halfway to max level on my first toon. I thought maybe a new toon would help, so after leveling up a 2nd one to max level, dungeons just became unpallatable.

I play with the same group of friends I have been gaming with for around 16 years. While we never claim to be the best at anything, we sure do know how to play well as a group. For us to run into pretty much any dungeon in GW2 and die repeatedly to the point that killing a boss devolved into a mindless zerg till it died, was wholly unsatisfying. There was no sense of accomplishment what-so-ever. We tend to pride ourselves on accomplishing our goals with good efficiency and GW2 just made us feel dirty...

• BladestromBladestrom edinburghPosts: 4,946Member Uncommon
    Similar here, gw2 has everything but a sense of progression. Here is an idea for gw2 or indeed any game including wow, 5 mans have same difficulty as raids, and dungeon a gear is needed for dungeon b, but your stats are scaled down to meet the instance requirements. So now the player who plays 20 hours a week has the same opportunities and fun as the player who can sacrifice 20 hours over 4 nights.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 new york, ILPosts: 386Member

I like how there is a paragraph of disclaimers and "dont troll me" comments stating how great the game is, thena  massive amount of tesx describing what appears to be a horrible game...why do you feel the need to say its such a great game?

By the same context of "playing it when it was new and leveling was great but endgame sucks" would have applied to SWTOR.

Then the follow up responses, like clockwork, that its not the game...its YOU...your just bured out on mmorpgs...if you dont like GW2 then its you not the game move on ect.

My point is that your right about most of the OP...the game had a huge hype tidal wave and early game was decent...its the endgame, the removal of unique roles like healer and tank, the zerg mechanics, the lack of loot as a long term goal...well lack of any long term goal...all boils this game down to a quick fix game...one that is great for a short time then shelved.

I really have no issue with this type of game, geared for uber casuals...its good this game exists, less people to complain about complexities, the need to make decisions, and ability to "screw up" in other games...i wish this game the best of luck.

I too have noticed nearly a full return of players who left "forever" to go play GW2 since it was going to be the next comming of wow...all are back with not a whole lot of positive reviews...

• dageezadageeza london, KYPosts: 578Member

Sorry to hear it badspock, i still love and play the game frequently but i do agree the game needs more carrots and not just cosmetic carrots either, the game often just does not reward you well for your efforts..

However the game is still only a couple months old and has much that needs to be improved/fixed and is still better than most P2P games that have been around for many years and expansions..

Playing GW2..

• JaedorJaedor Denver, COPosts: 1,140Member Uncommon

I thought it was a good read, Spock. And I'm thinking the world has changed and so have we. We have become "Pavlovian gamers" (as my friend put it) and it kinda sucks to feel like we're jonesing for the next fix.

My biggest problem TBH was/is that I still have never found a class and weapon set/pair that I love.

Like, I really like the Warrior Shield skills, the MH Sword 1,2 but not 3 and I don't like the Sword Special move.

Guardian, like Greatsword 1, 2, 4 (leap and Symbol) but found the Whirlwind and Throw/Snare lackluster.

Loved the Guardian MH Sword 3, but wish the 2 was a leap instead of a teleport and I don't like 1 (with the 3 round burst thing.)

And when you use the SAME abilities over, and over, and over, and over...

and then you get to high levels and no matter what build and gear you have it takes forever to kill anything...

bleh.

• bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,279Member Uncommon

@badspock This is what you said to me spock when I hit a wall at 3 weeks and made the thread "Losing intrest fast" (which was locked for some reason..), prior to that thread I had been saying how much fun I was having. 

Spock-

"So the entire thread is pointless, and comes off to me (and others) as just a baiting attempt to create yet another black vs. white back and forth BS thread."

"So again, pointless thread - troll bait - no point anymore but to create yet ANOTHER pro vs. con back and forth thread."

You have said a lot of other things to and about me aswell because of how I feel about GW2. The funny thing is, is that you reasons mirror mine. No big deal man. Next time don't be so fast to judge. 

• Creslin321Creslin321 Baltimore, MDPosts: 5,359Member

My biggest problem TBH was/is that I still have never found a class and weapon set/pair that I love.

Like, I really like the Warrior Shield skills, the MH Sword 1,2 but not 3 and I don't like the Sword Special move.

Guardian, like Greatsword 1, 2, 4 (leap and Symbol) but found the Whirlwind and Throw/Snare lackluster.

Loved the Guardian MH Sword 3, but wish the 2 was a leap instead of a teleport and I don't like 1 (with the 3 round burst thing.)

and then you get to high levels and no matter what build and gear you have it takes forever to kill anything...

bleh.

Hmmm...I'm surprised that it took you a while to kill stuff with warrior.  With my D/D elementalist, I kill things very fast...and I'm not even specced for damage.

I mean, I know this was your experience, but you may see different results with different gear.  GW2 is actually HEAVILY influenced by gear.  It may not be a gear-grind game...but getting good gear matters a lot.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• grimalgrimal Stamford, CTPosts: 2,873Member Uncommon

bleh.

Yep.   This is one of my problems with the game.  I just don't get it.  They had a superior skill system in GW1.....they've had the benefit of all these years of observing other MMOs....how did they not realize this would become monotonous?  I really think it's a case of a developer's ego getting in the way.

I leveled my Warrior all the way to 80, but the second I ding'ed I couldn't for the life of my keep playing that character.  The idea of using those same attacks over and over to farm or even finish the personal story was just nauseating to me.  That's another thing...the personal story became so bad at the end.  I was literally skipping through most dialogue because I just wanted to get on with it.

Enough ranting.  They did a lot of really cool things with the game...shared nodes, group events, the geography of the world...my god, the geography of the world with all its nook and crannies was simply stunning. I understand the explorer draw there.  I have never seen such a detailed world as this one. 

Now, if they took the world and events from this game, combined with the story and setting of TOR, with the combat of and possibly PVP of Tera, the progression of a traditional MMORPG...wow this game could have been so amazing all the way through.  Ah well.

In  the end, for me, GW2 will be remembered for its amazing world geography.  Simply unrivaled in an MMO.

• KiljaedenasKiljaedenas New Westminster, BCPosts: 468Member
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by bunnyhopper

People "look back" to traditional sandbox games/mechanics/features because they promoted natural player community dynamics and offered freedom. Those of use often castigated for just wanting a rehash of UO are actually seeking games which provide the same ethos of community driven dynamics, longevity and player freedom within a persistent and dynamic game world.

If you can do that via other methods and mechanics, go for it.

The thing is though recently the emphasis has been 99.99% on accessibility, parity and carrot grinds, something other gaming genres offer.

Sadly, even with EQ Next, Unholy Wars, WoD et al coming up, I really, really can't see the genre gettting back to that ethos of longevity, community and freedom though (outside of indieville).

To some degree yes.

However, times are VERY different now. The mentallity most players had back then, is much different from the ones we have now. In the 'golden days' of MMOs, people were more interested in exploring this new form of gaming. It was more social, but it wasn't always due to game design. It was because things were still new, and players were much more willing to work together trying to figure out this new type of game. It was still a fronteir to explore. Games were also a lot more simple back then. They didn't have as many features, as big of a world, combat was generally fairly simple as well, inspite having a large skillset.

People now expect WAY more from an MMO than what we had back then. The shining example of sandbox atm, is still Eve. It's the only sandbox MMO still going strong. Yet it still doesn't have the same numbers as most of the themeparks. Just being a sandbox isn't going to be enough. Even if we were to bring back UO with modern graphics, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't enough for most players.

Threads like this make me so glad that I discovered Eve...when I first looked into GW2 and the list of features it had I thought "Might have a couple of flashy things in it but still probably a generic themepark, not much better than any other, I'll wait and see what others think of it first". So glad I did that.

It's not that I'm a purely rabid fanboy of spaceships and nothing but. I really do want to find some kind of fantasy MMO for a change of pace and scenery, I really do. Even uber awesome spaceships get tiring after a while, as would too much of anything honestly. But after having been exposed to the deeper levels of Eve and the kind of completely off the wall unscripted stuff that can happen there, I just keep seeing again, and again and again that new MMOs just...don't...have the content. Once you get past the top layer of flashy fluff, there's nothing really there.

Perhaps Eve raised my standards too high...meh, oh well, can't go back now. I'm gonna go blow some cool shit up :)

Where's the any key?

• KaocanKaocan Atlanta, GAPosts: 1,270Member

If you like to tank and heal, then build your guardian to do exactly that. It does work in GW2.

http://www.gw2builds.org/create/bwe_1/guardian#4.1.1.0-3.12.17.8.0-20.0.0.30.20-10.2.10.12.1.10.11

Replace all those DPS runes and get yourself a nice set of Dolyak or Earth runes. Put the swords away and pull out the blunt weapons. Rely on HoTs and symbols to keep you and your team alive in the fights. Be a tank...not a DPS warrior.

Seriously though, I'm not knocking ya Spockman, but you say it yourself...you like being a tank/healer. Yet all the way through you talk about trying to be everything but one of those two on the best class to be either. I wont ever admit to be a great tank or a great healer, but I get invites all the time to help on dungeon runs when things aren't going so well. Sure I get the crap beat out of me from time to time, but I can stand and take the punishiment far beyond most. And my boons and HoTs I give my team make them all better off than they would be without me.

I love being a tank in a game that has no tanks, I love being a healer in a game that has no healers. It can be done, you just need to figure out how to make it happen.

(DISCLAIMER - The use of the word YOU in the above post is not directed at any one person in particular, but towards those who fall into the category itself - there is no personal attack here, neither intentional nor implied.)

Originally posted by bcbully

@badspock This is what you said to me spock when I hit a wall at 3 weeks and made the thread "Losing intrest fast" (which was locked for some reason..), prior to that thread I had been saying how much fun I was having. 

Spock-

"So the entire thread is pointless, and comes off to me (and others) as just a baiting attempt to create yet another black vs. white back and forth BS thread."

"So again, pointless thread - troll bait - no point anymore but to create yet ANOTHER pro vs. con back and forth thread."

You have said a lot of other things to and about me aswell because of how I feel about GW2. The funny thing is, is that you reasons mirror mine. No big deal man. Next time don't be so fast to judge. 

If I remember correctly, your thread made a lot of references to TSW and how you were going back and how much better X was in TSW (and we all know/knew your fanboi-esque love of TSW) so that indeed made your thread "another pointless attempt to create yet another black vs. white troll bait flame war."

Not at all suprised threads like yours got/get locked.

It's all about tone and presentation.

Originally posted by Creslin32

Hmmm...I'm surprised that it took you a while to kill stuff with warrior.  With my D/D elementalist, I kill things very fast...and I'm not even specced for damage.

I mean, I know this was your experience, but you may see different results with different gear.  GW2 is actually HEAVILY influenced by gear.  It may not be a gear-grind game...but getting good gear matters a lot.

I only got my warrior into the 30s, killing stuff w/ him seemed to be much faster than on Guardian - but Guardian really only started having "problems" in the 60-70+ range.

And I did say in OP-

"And yes, I've tried about 6 different trait combinations, weapon combos, etc. On my Guardian at level 77/78 using level 75 Rare weapons, even with the supposed "OP" Greatsword and then Sword/Torch combo. Yes I'm fully Runed 6/6 set w/ Weapon runes, all gear is 75+ blue/green/rare."

So I did think of that (gear issues) and upgraded EVERYTHING.

No the real problem isn't how fast I can kill in PvE while leveling up, though that DOES help to keep things from getting boring.

It's that once I do hit 80... what are my options?

Dynamic events are all AoE zerg fests - at least in my experience - which is a big "no thanks."

I don't like the dungeons at all - they just don't feel solid/polished without that role-based party experience.