Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When will this unnecessary game bashing stop?

Comments

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by dreamsofwar

Please excuse and forgive this post if you disagree or I get my facts wrong. I am curious why most people constantly come on this site to troll and bash games that don't spell out doom and gloom for them or their gameplay experience?

Why must people jump up and immediately point fingers and foam spit out of their mouths if they don't like Guild Wars 2? Why get so angry if Turbine has layoffs? Why say a game is dead when there is a server merge? Why not just sit back and think for a moment?

I genuinly believe MMO's thrive on the success of others if they have the resourcefulness and cunning to adapt, which I believe a fair number do.

Do you think Rift would go out of its way to become more than just a themepark if it had no competition on the market? Do you think WoW would have adopted certain features of its competition over the years, despite being on top? What about LOTRO with RoR, the tagging system seems strangely similar to the system in GW2, doesn't it? It is also being called one of the best expansions in terms of improvements in gameplay for LOTRO. So you see competition improves games. Its healthy and its positive. So to the people that come here regularly and say things like "oh I hope x game dies because y game will kill it LOLOLOL", well I see this, I bloody well hope not. I may not be sold on GW2 yet but I am confident in the new features I will introduce, I am confident that some of these features might get into the heads of other developers and be expanded on or tweaked. 

What I hope people realize I'm trying to say is other MMO's shouldn't be looked at as enemies, something to be threatened and scared by to the extent that there is much time spent raging at the keyboard about how it sucks and nobody should play it. Why not look at it simply as a positive contribution towards this genre, no matter how small? Even if it is another cookie cutter theme park that can at first glance be passed off as a clone with no contribution towards the genre, how about simply looking at it as a positive thing? Plenty of theme park clones on the market would influence developers of new projects to steer away from that gameplay, to try something new.

Again, if my facts are wrong forgive me. However, I genuinly believe that all of this raging and trolls vs fan(atic)s is really quite meaningless.

All the bashing is from a small vocal minority not the majority... It's the same people over and over if you look. 

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

I find it humorous at times. Seeing people post things like "I played the game for 500 hours and it's terrible I will never go back"  what even makes it more humorous is that many times in these posts the game has only  been out for 2 months. 

My recommendation is to get a job and a life. I would hate everything too if all I did was sit in front of the computer playing 22 hours a day.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Please excuse and forgive this post if you disagree or I get my facts wrong. I am curious why most people constantly come on this site to troll and bash games that don't spell out doom and gloom for them or their gameplay experience?

Well, the big game opening at the end of  last year still gets a half-hearted bashing from time to time, but most of the determination is gone.

I'd say most of it takes place in the first six-nine months.  Depends on other major releases.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    And another thing as posted above. You do see the same people over and over doing it. ..Just. Makes me laugh. 
  • StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Originally posted by Starpower

Why do you come here and read it?

You could just.. you know play the games you enjoy and talk about them on actual fan sites

Well its a good point. I come here to learn about new MMO's and keep up to date. It is mainly a news site after all. I do also come here for player reviews of games and discussions concerning games. By discussions I don't mean hate threads and flame wars by the way. Just interesting, informed opinions. I keep my eyes on multiple games out of interest. I suppose I could go to each sites forums individually but that is much more time consuming and possibly more bias.

Forums like anything is a form of entertainment. I've been to many and the ones where the moderation is so strict, where only fan related posts are allowed (all negative even constructive ones are removed) doesn't see a lot of traffic. Same goes for sites where people are gathered in agreement over something. It will have its moment then quickly fall to small numbers.

Forums thrive on conflict and people are entertained by it wether negatively or positively. Ask Jerry Springer. Sometimes when a game lets you down and you have nothing else to look forward to playing. The forums are your best source of getting that bang for your buck you just wasted

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by LoverNoFighter

As long as we pay for the game, I think we're entitled to bash them.

In most cases, the bashing is justified.

Bashing is NEVER justified - PERIOD. Constructive criticism, yes - bashing no.

All games are made by human design, so we have to deal with that foible.

If the product is shit, then I see no reason not to bash it.

Espescially when management of said product blatantly ignore their paying customers.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by AdamTM

Criticizing isn't contingent on the ability to physically create something.

Else 99% of movie, book, food and other critics would be out of a job. Roger Ebert isn't a director, he can't make movies.

He is both writer and screenwriter.  You have to count Beyond the Valley of the Dolls and assorted biographies though.

Don't let that stand in the way of disdain for critics though, they certainly deserve some.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by botrytis

If the product is shit, then I see no reason not to bash it.

Espescially when management of said product blatantly ignore their paying customers.

It's also pretty funny sometimes.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Sorry but the swtor bashing was justified.

Universal 9/10 reviews given to a mmo that played like an average sprpg
  • lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Sorry but the swtor bashing was justified.

Universal 9/10 reviews given to a mmo that played like an average sprpg

To fans of any MMO, bashing of their precious is never justified. Isn't that how GW2 fans or any fans feel?

Many will say that bashing for GW2 is justified too. This is just nonsense and again falls into 'soccer fan' mentality.

Many have been saying samething about GW2 that it plays like a solo RPG.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Sadly, can't agree with you about the Non-bias moderators comments...

I've gotten several "suspensions" likely from fanboys reporting my posts and mod's not bothering to actually read.  I know this for a fact because I sent in a complaint and a DIFFERENT took a second to read the situation and removed the suspension...

Best I can tell 90% of the moderation is done by user reports and the mods just take action on those.  I understand the need for users to assist in moderation considering how many posts are on this site however the system is bad as it is.

I believe a post can only be reported once.  It should allow the post to be reported by multiple people making it easier for moderators to tell right away if the community feels the post was a "troll" or if just one person got butt-hurt over it and is crying to "mommy"  ;)

Anyway, who wants to read "This game is super duper pooper amazing!"   "Best game ever!"   "You'll never find a better game this game beats every other game!"

Personally I want to see what negative thngs people have to say about he game.  Sadly it takes a while to filter out the trolling and useless complaints (similar to he useless positive post examples above).

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by Painlezz

I've gotten several "suspensions" likely from fanboys reporting my posts and mod's not bothering to actually read.  I know this for a fact because I sent in a complaint and a DIFFERENT took a second to read the situation and removed the suspension...

Best I can tell 90% of the moderation is done by user reports and the mods just take action on those.  I understand the need for users to assist in moderation considering how many posts are on this site however the system is bad as it is.

I believe a post can only be reported once.  It should allow the post to be reported by multiple people making it easier for moderators to tell right away if the community feels the post was a "troll" or if just one person got butt-hurt over it and is crying to "mommy"  ;)

Anyway, who wants to read "This game is super duper pooper amazing!"   "Best game ever!"   "You'll never find a better game this game beats every other game!"

Personally I want to see what negative thngs people have to say about he game.  Sadly it takes a while to filter out the trolling and useless complaints (similar to he useless positive post examples above).

I agree. I also like to read criticism and negative topics more because there is always room for improvement in MMOS.

On the other hand 'best game ever', 'servers are full, trolls are lying' etc offer nothing in that regards.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Pretty simple really, forums are another form of FFA PVP, just without the full looting. image

People who repetitively bash games are your  corpse campers and those who willfully spread mis-information could be considered your griefers.

It will never stop, (do people stop bashing each others pro sports teams, even when there is no logical reason to support one over another?) so you have a choice to make, join the fun or walk away.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by lifeordinary
    Originally posted by Painlezz

I agree. I also like to read criticism and negative topics more because there is always room for improvement in MMOS.

On the other hand 'best game ever', 'servers are full, trolls are lying' etc offer nothing in that regards.

What about non bias reviews about the game rather than one sided arguments? I don't find constantly reading negative threads gives me a good idea of a game either.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

"When will this unnecessary game bashing stop?" When people stop hitting the reply button to "game bashing" posts.

Regardless if they all trolling or serious- once you stop feeding them (block the ones you notice only complaining) the boards become a nicer place.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I feel that all of these negative posts are a direct result of a devolving MMO industry. We should be going forward instead of falling backwards. We have gone from robust crafting, deep class systems and open world exploration to cookie cutter themepark games with zero depth. That is my take on it anyway...
  • VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

The level of negativity directed at MMOs is astounding. We are fortunate to be alive during a time where there are video games that appeal to everyone; where high-speed connectivity works in our favor to access those games, and where we have tools to reach across the globe and find others to share those games with.

Rather then enjoy these years, some choose to waste them by getting angry over video games and at others for liking what they, themselves, do not like.

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by pierth

"When will this unnecessary game bashing stop?" When people stop hitting the reply button to "game bashing" posts.

Regardless if they all trolling or serious- once you stop feeding them (block the ones you notice only complaining) the boards become a nicer place.

We are on the same page. It's what I do. Often wonder whether these folks are planted here by companies. Before I left MMO's for about a year, I had another account since march of '04, I have a pretty general idea of some of the long time members and who's word and opinion I tend to value more than others, and which folks are going to just tear into things.

Adding..........I really miss the days that MMO's were a niche market, mainstream killed mmo's for me. I'm not saying bring back corpse runs, but wow, I really miss the old communities.

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

Well honestly there is just about the same amount of hype as there is bashing lol.

But this day in age in the gaming community we shouldnt be getting piss poor mmo's. With the technology, skill, money, and advancements in the gaming industry why should bad games be released? I think many are just pist a game they feel they like is released and is a huge let down. I mean how many games have been released this past 5+ years that have realy sucked? A good bit.

And personaly i want to read the negativity of a game also. I lost track of the games i bought by just reading the hype, and was so disappointed after i got the game. Cant all be perfect and great mmo's.

Having an open mind and listening to the good and bad is part of life. And not being open minded only makes you narrow minded.

• maddhatter44maddhatter44 Member Posts: 78

can't beat them, join them. 

grinding my teeth is more more fun then grinding in [ insert mmo here]

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal
    We're bashing the games because we are not the ones making them.  Deep down we all wish we could design the game and we are all sure we'd do a better job.  I know I would.

I think thats a good reason why we shouldn't bash though. I mean if we're not making them what right do we have to say it should be better, can we do better? Its like people bashing music whilst having no musical talent of their own isn't it?

We're the ones that have to listen to it.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

It is the lifeblood of the site... I wouldn't want it to go away anytime soon if you enjoy posting here in any sense.

If these forums relied on purely positive posts for their footfall they would get about 10 hits a day lol :)

A simple fact of internet life is that the vast majority of people do not engage unless they are pissed off in some manner. Best get used to it if you want to share the space.

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by Vesavius

It is the lifeblood of the site... I wouldn't want it to go away anytime soon if you enjoy posting here in any sense.

If these forums relied on purely positive posts for their footfall they would get about 10 hits a day lol :)

A simple fact of internet life is that the vast majority of people do not engage unless they are pissed off in some manner. Best get used to it if you want to share the space.

Im not talking about relying on only positive posts, more like constructive criticism. Bashing a game without an actual explanation and just saying "oh wah wah its shit wah worst game ever" doesn't really provide anybody on these forums with insight does it?

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by pierth

I'm a victim of this as much as anyone but it is true... look at all the threads with actual helpfull information or PVP videos or guides in any game and watch how fast they drop down.. then watch the post that simply states X game is boring as hell and watch it grow to 30 pages in a few hours.. misery loves company as always

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by bigsmiff
    I feel that all of these negative posts are a direct result of a devolving MMO industry. We should be going forward instead of falling backwards. We have gone from robust crafting, deep class systems and open world exploration to cookie cutter themepark games with zero depth. That is my take on it anyway...

I don't think the industry is devolving - It is evolving - may be you don't like where the industry is going. It does happen - look at the automobile industry - many people don't like how complex cars are (I don't) but that is the way the industry is going - you can't stop it.

Vote with your walltet but remember, we all have a vote.