Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dissapointed in GW2 - Leaving GW2 - Not what I expected !

123457»

Comments

• lifeordinarylifeordinary Member Posts: 646
    Originally posted by nsignific
    The only FACT is one you derive or test on your own. Everything else is just you believeing someone else.

You decided to single out Wikipedia as something not to trust. That's fine, but I predict your life will be much harder than neccessary - unless you're lying, of course, and rely heavily on Wikipedia - just not today, to prove a point?

Calling someone "young" (generation Z) and tying a specific ineptitude to it is an insult. I'm amazed you'd try to convince us otherwise.

What? i have never used wikipedia to prove or dis prove any so called facts and yet my life has been fine. Do people really rely heavily on something like that?

And generation x, y, z are just terms to define the change in attitude and habits of generations. We use those terms among friends and family all the time. But i guess you missed the irony when someone quoted wikipedia and told halflife to keep it real.

As if his facts from wikipedia are some kind of absolutes. And those who disagree with him are not in touch with reality.

Please.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

For a $60 game, it certainly has a lot of content. Got my value out of it. :)

I am disappointed that ANet still hasn't figured out how to write a story / char / lore that is even remotely good but the gameplay is pretty solid.

I'd say graphics are too but that's because I saw it on my 3 monitors using a borrowed ATI (Eye Infinity FTW). On my normal setup it looks awful (FOV cough cough).

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

What? i have never used wikipedia to prove or dis prove any so called facts and yet my life has been fine. Do people really rely heavily on something like that?

And generation x, y, z are just terms to define the change in attitude and habits of generations. We use those terms among friends and family all the time. But i guess you missed the irony when someone quoted wikipedia and told halflife to keep it real.

As if his facts from wikipedia are some kind of absolutes. And those who disagree with him are not in touch with reality.

Please.

You're not very inquisitive, then, I wind up on Wikipedia often just to learn about something new.

Or, I guess you're really old then and got done with school in the '80s.

Either way, the point was not to use Wikipedia to prove/disprove something on a MMO FORUM, the point was how useful Wikipedia was. If you classify it as untrustworthy, your life WILL get harder instantly. Try checking an obscure fact (library ho!).

Obiously I wouldn't stake my future on a Wikipedia article, but would prefer to do so over anything else available on the internet, really.

The stuff about generation z is just laughable now, it was an obvious insult and weasling out of it now is just embarrasing.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Te biggest unexpected shortcomming is that it feels much more like a game the like a virtual world, which is what i had been hoping for. 

I think this is a good critique of Guild Wars 2, but this has been a growing trend since World of Warcraft.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Mannish
    Its not a bad game but its a bad mmo. Why? Because it lacks everything that makes a mmo into a mmo. High production? I dont even see it. The game looks and plays like a budget free to play game.

So does many other games. Have you actually played it or are you just parroting what 'Negative Nacy's' would say? Please, it is an MMO but not what you are used to - 1. No tiered gearr grind for better (stats) armor - does have a looks grind. 2. No holy Trinity - (I think that is good). 3. No linear progression. 4. Big zones and each race has a very unique and decently thought out story and zone specific to it.

Mannish - you obviously have not played the game, so why even post.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by jpnz

I am disappointed that ANet still hasn't figured out how to write a story / char / lore that is even remotely good but the gameplay is pretty solid.

I'd say graphics are too but that's because I saw it on my 3 monitors using a borrowed ATI (Eye Infinity FTW). On my normal setup it looks awful (FOV cough cough).

I have one monitor and it looks fairly nice although I do have a AMD HD 5750 video card.

A.net went for the drawn look and they have said that time and again in blogs, etc. What did you expect?

Please be specific.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Right now I think Guild Wars 2 is the best MMORPG on the market, but I definitely have criticism for it. I am a fan of the dynamic events because it makes the world more dynamic, but I think they took what could have been a good way to create a changing world and turned them into a themepark ride. Instead of mindlessly going from one yellow exclamation point to the next, you go from one orange circle to the next. It doesn't matter what is happening, just that it is a good source of experience. As a person above said, Guild Wars 2 feels like a game, not a virtual world.
  • OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Mahavishnu

This game is awesome!

A few seconds ago I just did this:

I saw a vista on a high mountain and could not find a way to reach it, until I understood that I had to climb up from the other side. So I walked through a tunnel and passed a camp, that I already knew. Only this time there was an attack from underground which led to a boss fight. So I stayed a while and enjoyed the fight.

Afterwards I continued my search for a way to the vista and discovered a cave full with spiders. The first spiders were easy but then there came a bigger one which called for help of its minions. Desperately I just rushed through all spiders to where I assumed to be the exit to the vista and I found it. But there were still the spiders behind me! I jumped over cliffs and stones to get rid of the majority of them and succeeded.

So in the end it was me against big mama and one of her children, it was a long fight and I almost died several times. I had to use all my skills and tactics to survive. When I finally claimed the vista it really felt like the end to an epic adventure!

No other MMO on the market gives me the same excitement.

Yeah.... that's easy to write and it makes it seem so poetic... until you've done it 9 times in different areas, or fought that boss repeatedly just because you needed to get by the area. 

I could write something that sounds just as good about any mmo. Telling it like a story and playing it over and over are two different things it would seem.

Originally posted by nsignific
    Originally posted by lifeordinary

Please.

You're not very inquisitive, then, I wind up on Wikipedia often just to learn about something new.

Or, I guess you're really old then and got done with school in the '80s.

Either way, the point was not to use Wikipedia to prove/disprove something on a MMO FORUM, the point was how useful Wikipedia was. If you classify it as untrustworthy, your life WILL get harder instantly. Try checking an obscure fact (library ho!).

Obiously I wouldn't stake my future on a Wikipedia article, but would prefer to do so over anything else available on the internet, really.

The stuff about generation z is just laughable now, it was an obvious insult and weasling out of it now is just embarrasing.

There is difference between quoting wikipedia to give some basis to your opinion and quoting wikipedia to pass your opinion as a fact.

As far as weasling out, you know that i didn't use the term 'generation z' right? but when someone is trying to be obnoxious with his posts like 'i just quoted Wikipedia so it is a fact....get real'. You are just asking for it.

And i think half life was still quite reasonable with his reply. I on other hand would have got a warning from mods because i have very low tolerance for obnoxious and 'i am always right' crowd.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Mannish
    Its not a bad game but its a bad mmo. Why? Because it lacks everything that makes a mmo into a mmo. High production? I dont even see it. The game looks and plays like a budget free to play game.

The game has very high production, just because you don't like the game doesn't mean it's not a quality title. i don't like call of duty but i'm not going to deny the game high production value. what exactly does it lack that other mmo's have?

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I believe some just want everything to suck.  However, I think most people that complain are suffering from Themepark burnout.  We've been hit with so much of the same no freedom MMO's for so long I imagine most are pretty sick of the same formula over and over.

GW2 has done some really nice things, those things are not enough of a change for some people.

I still play GW2 very casually and it's fine for 5 - 10 hours a week.  I pretty much vowed to not purchase another 100% Themepark ever again after playing this years no freedom/no consequences offerings.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by CallsignVega
    Originally posted by fundayz
    Originally posted by Jimmydean
    Originally posted by Creslin321
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

So in short. It maybe didnt live to everyones expectations

It all depends on whether you blame yourself, or everything else in the world, for managing your expectations?

Agreed.

[mod edit]

Or, ya know, if you were expecting an MMORPG from a title labeled as MMORPG.

Massively multiplayer? Check

Online? Check

RPG? Check

Sooooo please explain how GW2 is NOT an MMORPG.

It's prefectly fine to say "I didn't like GW2, it doesn't have the things I look for in  an MMO", but to make the claim that GW2 is not an MMORPG is simply absurd.

You could play GW2 by yourself, there isn't anything massively multiplayer about it. The amount of crappy instances in the game is mind-boggling. Guilds mean nothing and are chat rooms, and group encounters can be doneby random people running into each other not saying a word. Yawn. 

You can play wow by yourself aswell, it's up to the individual how they choose to play. dungeons in wow can be done by a group of random people not saying a word to each other.

Originally posted by Istavaan
    You can play wow by yourself aswell, it's up to the individual how they choose to play. dungeons in wow can be done by a group of random people not saying a word to each other.

I don't think it is fair to compare GW2 to other MMOS since according to GW2 manifesto GW2 was suppossed to improve on all the older MMO problems. But i think they somehow forgot the good old problems like  'feeling of playing besides others and not with others' , 'RNG' and 'LFG Spam'.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Expected a good game, got a good game.
  • david361107david361107 Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Originally posted by Mahavishnu

This game is awesome!

A few seconds ago I just did this:

I saw a vista on a high mountain and could not find a way to reach it, until I understood that I had to climb up from the other side. So I walked through a tunnel and passed a camp, that I already knew. Only this time there was an attack from underground which led to a boss fight. So I stayed a while and enjoyed the fight.

Afterwards I continued my search for a way to the vista and discovered a cave full with spiders. The first spiders were easy but then there came a bigger one which called for help of its minions. Desperately I just rushed through all spiders to where I assumed to be the exit to the vista and I found it. But there were still the spiders behind me! I jumped over cliffs and stones to get rid of the majority of them and succeeded.

So in the end it was me against big mama and one of her children, it was a long fight and I almost died several times. I had to use all my skills and tactics to survive. When I finally claimed the vista it really felt like the end to an epic adventure!

No other MMO on the market gives me the same excitement.

so what was in the freaking vista?

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

I expected the game to be a true MMORPG and give me tons of progression options past the level cap that weren't obtainable within a week of playing.  Granted, many MMOs these days don't offer that anymore, but I do remember Vanilla WoW taking 3 months or longer to hit that status and then the alt play being so vastly different and "new" that I had another 3 months plus of playing to go through and so on....that lasted me about 2 years before I started to get "bored".  GW2 didn't even cover a full month in comparison.

Truthfully, I expect MMOs to have or plan to have content the likes of which my favorite game FFXI has/had.  Still have yet to ever see that.  So basically, LONGEVITY.  That's what is missing from all of these newer games.  They don't have long term gaming options put into place or rewards to strive for over a period longer than a month or 2.  Those games pre 2004 all did/do.

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

it feels much more like a game th[an] like a virtual world

• waterwizardwaterwizard Member Posts: 33
    Takes at least 2 years to get rr100 in WAR.
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by zimboy69

when people leave gw2  i wonder where they are going

its not like  any other mmo  thats acctualy better

and  almost  all its equals you need to pay a subscription 

the only exception i can see is  anything that isnt a fantasy mmo like eve  or planetside 2 or they are giving up mmo's

I've gone back to Rift and beta testing PS2 and various single player games that I have neglected over the years.  I'm even contemplating returning to Warhammer Online for my PvP fix.  I find it more entertaining than PS2's version, which is your typical FPS / Arcade gameplay with little to no consequence for anything.

By the way, Rift and WAR are a much better fit for me than GW2, so your comment about no other MMOs that are actually better is very subjective.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by jpnz

I have one monitor and it looks fairly nice although I do have a AMD HD 5750 video card.

A.net went for the drawn look and they have said that time and again in blogs, etc. What did you expect?

Please be specific.

Try the 3 monitor setup or try the 'window mode and decrease the vertical size'.

You'll be amazed how good GW2 actually is once the full image is in view.

ANet's whole FOV issue is just head scratching bizzaro stuff which they've now effectively said 'we were wrong'; look at the camera angle when you fight MK.

My guidlies fights MK and then do W v W cause the camera is just that better.

I saw someone say 'that's not an advantage' which is just factually false. Seeing more than your opponent is not an advantage? lolwut?

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.