Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

POLL - Who continues to play and who stops?

killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

It seems that there are a decent number of people that continue to play and love GW2 and a decent number of people who believe it suffers from lack of longevity.  I'm curious what people have done in the game to this point and whether or not that influences their choice to continue playing.  So here's the poll.

Edit:  I understand that these poll selections will not fit every single person's exact situation.  Like any other poll, please select the option that best fits your situation.  Specifically, the poll is looking for the amount played/accomplished in game and whether or not you will continue playing.  I apologize for any 'flavor' text in the poll options.

Comments

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636

Intelligently constructed survey - but still shows the 60/40% split between pro and con players.

Factor in the fanboi/hater bias on this site - I would GUESS at this being approximately 1:3 - then you have a pretty good approval rate.

Even if these factor out at 1:1 (which even detailed observation here really doesn't support) you still have more liking it than not.

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

Hit lvl 80, working for 100% map completion (99% as today) working for legendary weaps

WTB dungeon groups

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Where is option "I stopped playing and I don't play to play again" (even non regullarly) ?

There are people who returned game or people that are quitting for good. 

It is not trolling on my side I just think it is valid question.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    I am lvl 80 and playing PVP. it is mostly my guildies keeping me in game right now. I have a blast in PVP with them.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Kenaoshi

Hit lvl 80, working for 100% map completion (99% as today) working for legendary weaps

WTB dungeon groups

They need more personal story quests, that send you back through the lands, i am not a completionist, but i love traveling the lans as long as i have a goal in mind.

I would gladly pay 10 euro for a 20 to 30stepstory modeincluding a dungeon story mode(making dungeon and exploration modesfree) even if the whole sory was kind of linear.

My endgame consists mostly of PvP, both WvWvW for longer sessions and sPvP for shorter sessions.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• AzzatakyAzzataky Member UncommonPosts: 208
    I'm level 80 some time, I like everything in game so far even leveling another alt(s). But what I miss is something "epic". Story is cool, dragons are there, bosses in dungeons are cool, but dragons in world come regularly. I miss epic fights with bosses like Baium from Lineage 2, where you are not going on them everyday. But GW 2 is not that game I guess. You can teleport everywhere etc. Its just casual friendly and also time consuming friendly, I hope that lack of epic stuff wont make me stop playin. I like it so far, we'll see.

Played: Lineage 2,Guild Wars 1 and 2, Age of Conan, Ragnarok Online, LOTRO, World of Warcraft, League of Legends, EvE online
    Tried: KAL Online, Face of Mankind, ROSE online
    Playing: CS:GO

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Azzataky
    I'm level 80 some time, I like everything in game so far even leveling another alt(s). But what I miss is something "epic". Story is cool, dragons are there, bosses in dungeons are cool, but dragons in world come regularly. I miss epic fights with bosses like Baium from Lineage 2, where you are not going on them everyday. But GW 2 is not that game I guess. You can teleport everywhere etc. Its just casual friendly and also time consuming friendly, I hope that lack of epic stuff wont make me stop playin. I like it so far, we'll see.

Sometimes i just dont use teleports but travel the distance on foot, quit enjoyable just doing the events thrown at you.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

LvL 80, exotic armor and most of my weapons. Completed the personal story and I'm now working on my 100% world and will try to get arah armor as well.

I'm also aiming for legendary after I get enough money but that'll take some time now.

Tho there's still tons of achievements I still have to do, like jumping puzzles which I still didn't do, diving, etc...

edit: I forgot there's this halloween acts and events which are really cool (except the part where I got DCed when act 3 started and couldn't log in for 10 mins, hated that ofc :D )...

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• AzzatakyAzzataky Member UncommonPosts: 208
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by Azzataky

Sometimes i just dont use teleports but travel the distance on foot, quit enjoyable just doing the events thrown at you.

Yea I do that sometimes too. But I usualy play with my gf or friends and those people they don't get it, they don't want to wait, they want to farm. :/

Played: Lineage 2,Guild Wars 1 and 2, Age of Conan, Ragnarok Online, LOTRO, World of Warcraft, League of Legends, EvE online
    Tried: KAL Online, Face of Mankind, ROSE online
    Playing: CS:GO

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    My choice isn't there.  Hit level 80, not in full exotics, log in 3-4 times per week and having fun.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by fenistil

Where is option "I stopped playing and I don't play to play again" (even non regullarly) ?

There are people who returned game or people that are quitting for good. 

It is not trolling on my side I just think it is valid question.

How big does the poll really need to be?  Just pick the option for not playing regularly - that would include not playing at all, ever again, no matter what.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995
    Originally posted by Roxtarr
    My choice isn't there.  Hit level 80, not in full exotics, log in 3-4 times per week and having fun.

Hit level 80 and there's still tons I enjoy and log on for.

That one covers what you just described.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

Hit level 80, full exotics, completed story and I'm still a lot of fun. Do log on regularly.

I'm still chasing achievements and jumping puzzles. In the meantime I level up crafting on my alts, and occassionally level up my alternative character. Altoholics will enjoy this game, as for others only those who like cosmetic progression.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Its difficult to really make a poll tailored to what everyone did. Not really to be expected every option is available. Probably would been best to go with the options...

Playing the game and still enjoying it

Playing the game every so often

Not playing the game anymore though might peek back occasionally

Not playing anymore and no plan to ever return

Never played/Never plan to

But meh. I want my "Made 2x level 80s and have no plan of playing ever again" option cause I'm picky and demand one for a situation that obviously everyone should of encountered! /sarcasm

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Originally posted by halflife25
    I am lvl 80 and playing PVP. it is mostly my guildies keeping me in game right now. I have a blast in PVP with them.

yea but you cant do nothing alone in pvp you always need to have gang bang party to do something that makes difference.

Originally posted by Purutzil

Its difficult to really make a poll tailored to what everyone did. Not really to be expected every option is available. Probably would been best to go with the options...

But meh. I want my "Made 2x level 80s and have no plan of playing ever again" option cause I'm picky and demand one for a situation that obviously everyone should of encountered! /sarcasm

Except.. OP correct me if I'm wrong, but that wouldn't be the same kind of poll.  Maybe he's trying to figure out when people tend to quit, not just if they quit.  Do they quit when they run out of things to do, or somewhere along the way, before then?

It becomes a question of whether people leave the game because they need more of the same sort of content, or because they want something different.  I think its a good question.  For almost any MMO.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

Originally posted by Purutzil

Yeah, a poll like that would work.  However, my intention with this poll were to relate in game accomplishments to desire to continue playing the game.  The three best "play phases" that would fit the largest number of people and provide relatively telling information were pre 80, at 80 and 80 with full exotics and story complete.  I suppose I could have added map completion to the last play phase as well.

Edit: @Vhaln Yes, exactly!  Your response went up as I was typing my reply above.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Hit 80 on my ele and leveling up my guardian / warrior.

Got really bored with my ele but I'm one of those that have to finish one char to start the next so slogged through it via DE grinding. God that was bad but my fault so.. >.>

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

One option that might be missing, given the spirit of the poll, would be something like

• Didn't like the game at all, and quit almost right away.
    I guess maybe such a vote should go under the last option, even though that's obviously a different answer.. it's the closest one to simply saying you don't like the game at all?

Thinking about it a bit more, it does seem like a totally different answer than saying you were working towards 80, but got bored.

Originally posted by Vhaln

One option that might be missing, given the spirit of the poll, would be something like

• Didn't like the game at all, and quit almost right away.
    I guess maybe such a vote should go under the last option, even though that's obviously a different answer.. it's the closest one to simply saying you don't like the game at all?

I suppose it technically could fall under option 2.  "Still working towards level 80 and I grew bored with the game. Will not be logging on regularly."

While that doesn't exactly describe the situation, it does show that you started a character, did not make it 80 and will not regularly (or ever in this case) be logging on.

Ah you were too fast for my edit.. yeah, that's what I thought at first, but then, just thinking about it.. seems like there's a big difference between hating the game right off the bat, and getting bored of it too quickly?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

I am reminded of the classic analogy of a straight line drag strip with a brick wall directly across the far end...and the futility of approaching that wall while still accelerating.

But the whole discussion is so 2002.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by m0lly
    Originally posted by halflife25

yea but you cant do nothing alone in pvp you always need to have gang bang party to do something that makes difference.

Isn't that what MMO's are about - being in a party? If you want single player games, look elsewhere (SWTOR - cough, cough).

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

I quit about a week ago. It's not that I don't think its a good game... I just got bored very quickly. I think it is due to the skill system. Not sure why, but it got old to me faster that usual. Even with swapping out weapons, I just didn't think there were enough skills that I liked. If there were to add additional skills for the weapons and let me chose which I want to use, it might help. 

So bascially, at least to me.. the fighting got ridiculously repetitive/boring running around dodging, attacking, dodging, attacking. Not that it's so different in other games, but coupled with the stale DE's and hearts (which I can't stand) made it wear. I'm not sure how, but this game made me miss the good ol' questing from eq2 and wow.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by botrytis

Isn't that what MMO's are about - being in a party? If you want single player games, look elsewhere (SWTOR - cough, cough).

This is what has been said since Everquest, but I disagree with it. MMOs are about the world and everyone in the world, not being in a party. A simple co-op game like Phantasy Star Online can have a party, but it obviously isn't an MMO. This is why instances and MMOs should not mix as it turns it away from being an MMO and more into being a co-op game.