Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXIV Roleplay: Reborn!

ValarienceValarience Member UncommonPosts: 25

Hello everyone, today it is my pleasure to unveil Final Fantasy XIV Roleplayers, or as I like to call it: FFXIV Roleplay: Reborn.

The purpose of Final Fantasy XIV Roleplayers is to offer roleplayers in FFXIV whether new, returning, or already here, the opportunity for a fresh start. With the inevitable influx of players taking a look at A Realm Reborn, we want to create a space for roleplayers of any style to gather, get to know one another, and discuss relevant topics in a neutral environment. 

More than that, we want to offer the roleplaying community a fresh start as well. The previous two years have had their ups and downs for roleplayers, and not everything has been rainbows and sunshine. We feel that as part of revitalizing the roleplaying community, we should cast off the weight of the past. While we have no intention of replacing those who came before us, we hope to co-exist alongside them with an environment and style all our own.

So what can you expect from FFXIV-RP.com?

Regular Feature Articles
Columns, featurettes, and news relevant to roleplayers will grace our front page on a regular basis. As time goes on, we'll be increasing our staff to increase the rate of articles so our users always have something new to read. Our ultimate goal is to provide in-character coverage of events and important milestones within the game. If you're a capable writer with a bit of spare time, we encourage you to apply as a journalist!
A Meeting Place
Linkshells and Free Companies with roleplaying in mind are encouraged to advertise on our listings forums, where potential new members will be able to find the group that's right for them. An event calendar is free to be utilized by any user, allowing them to post their events right to the sidebar module at any time for maximum exposure. If that's not enough, the Adventurers' Guild forum offers everyone the opportunity to pitch new free company and linkshell ideas, search for people interested in creating joint backstories, or just find a new roleplaying partner.
A Repository of Creativity
With forums for active roleplay, character stories and journals, art and videos, and a fully-featured user-friendly wiki coming (very!) soon, FFXIV-RP offers you a place to share your creativity with the entire community. We'll even be highlighting popular works on our front page!
Unbiased Moderation
FFXIV-RP is a place for all roleplayers in Final Fantasy XIV, and we plan to facilitate this without personal bias. Our rules don't exist to further a personal agenda, or to dictate how any individual should roleplay. All we ask is that you conduct yourself with cordiality and respect. All opinions are welcome, when presented in a civil manner!

Ultimately we want to provide roleplayers in FFXIV with the strongest platform possible on which to build their future, but we need your support to do it! Whether you're a casual roleplayer or into full-time immersion, regardless of server, and even if you don't actively roleplay but love to talk about the lore, you're welcome to stop by, sign up, and introduce yourself. We expect our community to grow in the months leading up to launch, and hope that anyone interested in the roleplaying facets of Final Fantasy XIV will be a part of it!

Comments

• ValarienceValarience Member UncommonPosts: 25

Hello everyone, just here with an update on the progress of Final Fantasy XIV Role-Players! We've been growing steadily over the last week, and we'll continue to gain steam as we press on into the future.

We're celebrating the final save this week with a special 'Final Countdown' edition of our Inquiring Minds (formerly Moogle Madness) series, which asks our users questions pertaining to their characters and their roleplay in the game. We'll be posting a new article every day this week, with each question themed around the fall of Dalamud.

Feel free to join in and participate in the discussion!

Happy end-of-the-world, everyone! :D Now that the servers are down and storylines are (mostly) concluded, we'll be doubly focusing on the growth of FFXIV-RP. As of yesterday afternoon, we've finally unveiled our wiki where users can add character profiles, linkshell or free company pages, and more with an easy-to-use article generator.

We'd also like to highlight this thread, where our users are beginning to share their characters' last moments before the events of the End of an Era trailer. We welcome role-players across the board to participate!

• Neo_LibertyNeo_Liberty Member UncommonPosts: 437
    what if i am new to rping and FFXIV

Originally posted by Neo_Liberty
    what if i am new to rping and FFXIV

FFXIV-RP is open to roleplayers of any experience level. ^^ We've got plenty of helpful and friendly users who are more than happy to help newcomers grow comfortable with the setting, and role-playing as well.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

While I appreciate the work that's went into the site, isn't it a bit redundant since there's already another FFXIV RP site?

Edit: Nevermind, found the Open Letter thread. All is explained.

<3

• soundprodigy3000soundprodigy3000 Member Posts: 2

I'd like to join. I'm looking for a guild totally or at least mostly dedicated to roleplay. I'll be new to 14 using the ps3 so please get a hold of me when you can. preferrably through email as i dont check websites too often. I'm signed up to far too many  as ive been looking for a rp community forever and i cant keep track of it all. 

[email protected]

anyone who runs or knows a good rp linkshell looking for new people or people in general please let me know. thanks

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by soundprodigy3000

I'd like to join. I'm looking for a guild totally or at least mostly dedicated to roleplay. I'll be new to 14 using the ps3 so please get a hold of me when you can. preferrably through email as i dont check websites too often. I'm signed up to far too many  as ive been looking for a rp community forever and i cant keep track of it all. 

[email protected]

anyone who runs or knows a good rp linkshell looking for new people or people in general please let me know. thanks

Hello Soundprodigy3000,

It is said there will be dedicated Role Play servers when the game is released.  If you do not find a linkshell of role players, then you can simply join one of those (or that one if there is only one).

Due to regional datacenter you might need to check the official forums (lodestone) and perhaps even http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/ to see where most will gather.  Traditionally NA servers have more RP dedicated servers, so if you live in a different timezone you might also want to look for a Linkshell that has events around your time.  :3

The first RP server in 1.0 was Besaid, with Balmung taking it's place when two servers merged together.  They were unofficial servers back then.

The RP coalition is typically good at keeping the RP community together.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • soundprodigy3000soundprodigy3000 Member Posts: 2
    Cool. Well ill be looking when this gane finally goes live. These pushbacks, while expected, still fumes disappointment for us ever so patient ps3 players. All i know is if this game isnt to my expectations after 3 years and some pushbacks....im gonna have a fit and im done with anymoee final fantasy they shove out. Promises promises. Theres only so many times youll allow yourself to be bitten by the same dog.
  • YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by soundprodigy3000
    Cool. Well ill be looking when this gane finally goes live. These pushbacks, while expected, still fumes disappointment for us ever so patient ps3 players. All i know is if this game isnt to my expectations after 3 years and some pushbacks....im gonna have a fit and im done with anymoee final fantasy they shove out. Promises promises. Theres only so many times youll allow yourself to be bitten by the same dog.

A Realm Reborn is a completely different game on a brand new engine.  :)

Though one reason why it never made it to the PS3 in the past was because of it wasn't well received (and thus the game was completely remade from the ground up).  They probably didn't have the funds or inclination to make a PS3 version simply because it would shut down once they were ready to test the new version of the game.  It wouldn't of been a simple port, as FFXIV 1.0 pushed most high end modern computers to their limit, so they would've had to completely redo and reoptimize the game for the console.

In the Public Nico Nico event Yoshi said that the beta testing for the Ps3 (Phase 3) will probably be in June, as they're waiting for Sony Certification  You can look at a (roughly) translated version from that event here:  http://ffxiv-roleplayers.com/  

Just click "show" on the first news of the day.

They completely scrapped the old version, so it was more so working on a brand new game for that time rather than it being "pushbacks", and I believe in a letter from the producer (there were like 50) they said that they only reused about 5-10% of the old content (though obviously still have to work on it to fit the new engine).  

You can take a look at their roadmaps here:  http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/teaser/index.html

In them you also see that they completely remade almost everything, even building the areas all over again from scratch.

If you want to get caught up on FFXIV 1.0 lore, then here's a good video:  http://www.twitch.tv/thaze_tv/b/338928300

It has the Ul'dah storyline in addition to the Grand Company Quests for the Immortal Flames.  A Realm Reborn takes place sometime in the future after the events of 1.0 and the cinematic ending 1.0 had ( located here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39j5v8jlndM ), so it may be good to brush up on what happened if you're into lore and such.  The video starts at around six minutes in I believe.  They may have come out with the complete version of that movie as well (it adds about 3 minutes onto that video).  It's probably on their youtube account.

As far as they are handling it, they have profusely apologized for FFXIV hundreds of times in multiple letters and press reviews.  They kind've won me over with even going into details of how wrong they were and the like.  That particular one was pages long.

Aside from all of that, I know it must be frustrating waiting for something for a long while.  There are some media sites that released first impressions going around.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.