Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If UW fails I'm quitting online gaming

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by KatlaOdindottir
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Originally posted by pdabb38
    I've bought three busts in a row. WAR,AOC,and GW 2. If UW gets me game locked , I'm gonna upgrade my PC.If ity fails I'm giving up on morpg's indefinately.

No amount of wishful thinking can make a game based on FFA full looting PvP a success.  Couple this with the initial release failure and the really horrible looking combat animations of this new game.  A niche game will always remain a niche game.

You're clueless, EVE.

Eve is not applicable however, as it doesnt have any similarities to DF or DF;UW .. but Eve is a sandbox game, DF;UW is a PVP based themepark, totally different concepts, as DF;UW is all about the PVP and Eve is not, it has PVP but its just one part of the game. So, i'd say the guy is right, no amount of wishful thinking can make a game based on FFA full loot PVP a success.. particularly as thats all DF;UW has, its about time they actually evolved the game, limited game mechanics = limited game. image

• skellyninjaskellyninja Member UncommonPosts: 5

I'm with the OP on this.

I have truely enjoyed a few MMO's. Everquest, Anarchy Online, Eve Online, and Darkfall. These were the only games I hold in high regard as for my overall experience.

I have played every AAA MMO that has came out, usualy for only a month or 2. None of them hold my interest for more than a few months and in the last few years I lost interest completely. The gaming population is now officialy horrid. I do not identify with gamers anymore. We are now in the time of a 4chan afterbirth of children raised on the internet, it's epidemicly bad.

If Darkfall would have just updated their game even a couple times a year, and listened to players about easier to fix things.. it would have steadily grown and kept tens of thousands of players subscibed. Instead it was almost completely neglected, players felt abandoned and I started to feel cheated paying a monthly fee.

The updates added nothing players wanted, did not fix the easy problems, made new problems, and then we were ignored again. WTF. But they were secretely working on a new game???? ...

The people who make and publish Darkfall have no business sense and they don't seem to give a shit about anything, and yet they make the only game I am even remotely interested in.

• ShrinkGamerShrinkGamer Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by Ramonski7
    I'd ask you not to give up on the genre just yet but you picked not one, not two, but three mmorpgs that are so far different than what you are now banking your whole decision on if you should continue playing that it's hard for me to take you seriously.

That's like me saying I played Darkfall, EvE and Mortal Online. Now I going to pick up Storm Legion and if it doesn't impress me I'm giving up on the entire genre. Ask yourself does that even make sense?

This ^.

I'm in the same boat OP and I dont want to touch the cookie cutter games anymore that are cattering to a younger crowd of immature kids. @OP UW will be fun if you make it fun. Its giving you all the tools, even DF1 did a pretty good job, so don't blame AV if you don't like it this time around, its a sandbox/open world. Therefore you need to fill it with your adventures and not expect to be spoon fed. Else you can go back to WoW and receive instant level 80s and looking for derp.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Originally posted by wordiz
    Originally posted by Sicae
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    I've bought three busts in a row. WAR,AOC,and GW 2. If UW gets me game locked , I'm gonna upgrade my PC.If ity fails I'm giving up on morpg's indefinately.

Wow. Smh, honestly I have to blame you. You bought into the hype of those games and was disappointed, yet critics gave you a early warning about each of them. 

Its your own fault.

If you read the paid critics, they hyped up the game to the sky. If you read the negative gamer critics, you would never buy a game because there will always be people hating on games.

And most of the problems with these games didn't come until later levels or end game. 

Which many people warned you within the first damn week!! Look at GW2. Again that's your fault. Critics gave you a warning. You chose to ignore those warnings. Can't blame anybody but yourself.

Except that all the problems in WAR, AoC, Rift, and all WoW clones were clear from the very first minutes of playing, not the end game. They were just bad MMOs right in their core.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Phry

No amount of wishful thinking can make a game based on FFA full looting PvP a success.  Couple this with the initial release failure and the really horrible looking combat animations of this new game.  A niche game will always remain a niche game.

You're clueless, EVE.

Eve is not applicable however, as it doesnt have any similarities to DF or DF;UW

Haha what? What universe is that true in?

• Bakkoda24Bakkoda24 Member UncommonPosts: 257

I liked WAR, back when it first came out...

Either way, I wouldn't hold my breath.

• CosianCosian Member UncommonPosts: 4

As with all games approaching a FFA full loot model where twinked and level capped players rule the roost, you have a 90 day window to have some fun while everyone is leveling together.  After that, you get a tiny but dedicated niche game crowd.

Apparently the business model here is to capitalize on a small niche crowd whilst keeping development and ongoing game maintenance costs to a minimum.  It is a very small number of people that will be playing this game 90 days after launch ... just like the orginal DF ...

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

me too until:

Neverwinter

Repopulation

TESO

Kindoms of Ala..w/e

or what ever else comes out image

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

You're clueless, EVE.

Eve is not applicable however, as it doesnt have any similarities to DF or DF;UW .. but Eve is a sandbox game, DF;UW is a PVP based themepark, totally different concepts, as DF;UW is all about the PVP and Eve is not, it has PVP but its just one part of the game. So, i'd say the guy is right, no amount of wishful thinking can make a game based on FFA full loot PVP a success.. particularly as thats all DF;UW has, its about time they actually evolved the game, limited game mechanics = limited game. image

No matter how you spin it, EvE fits the red, which makes him wrong.

• TigerAeroTigerAero Member Posts: 127
    Originally posted by bossalinie

You're clueless, EVE.

No matter how you spin it, EvE fits the red, which makes him wrong.

I'll never forget the dozens of IGN articles on EvE, "The game you pay not to play." LOL.

• Mike-McQueenMike-McQueen Member UncommonPosts: 267
    What does suck is that if this game fails, other companies will be less likely to give this style of game a go. So it's up to a low budget indie company to save real risk/reward pvp which imo really bites. The hype alone should be enough to convince developers of the potential but all they see are $'s. Sad but true. And let's be clear, Darkfall has nothing themepark about it, a completely open world with no bread crumb trails = sandbox even if it's more pvp oriented/ feature heavy.

I'm a unique and beautiful snowflake.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

[mod edit]

On the other I'd have to ask if you've done any research on the past of the company that your betting everything on. Aventurine has a long history disappointments and not living up to their promises. DF1 was only delayed about 7 years from its original release date. When DF1 did go live it rather underwhelmed most that had bought into aventurines hype. The game one could say was bad enough they had to remake it (not just fix it) as Darkfall UW

Has Aventurine learned from thier past mistakes? Its possible, but i'm more then alittle skepitcal. Personally Op I'd say your setting yourself up for failure and I have no sympathy.

• YalexyYalexy Member UncommonPosts: 1,058

For me DF:UW allready has failed before even going live. The game simply lacks alot of stuff that's necessary imho.

I'm playing MMOs these days for a few month (usually 3-6) until I've leveled up and cleared the content. DF:UW will face the same problem imho, as you'll level up waaaaay too fast etc.
    Content is basically non-existant in DF:UW, so I guess I'll be very bored with this game after some two month.

Why the hell has no dev the balls to grab all the features of EvE Online and turn into a groundbased MMO? That would be the sandbox MMO I'm interested in actually.

DF:UW will be just like DF nothing else then a FFA-shooter full of jerks. Probably one of the worst communities I've seen to date when I played DF when it was released and not really anything enjoyable to play, especially with the lack of things to do other then to macro up your skills and preying on the weak afterwards.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

I feel for you. Only true MMOs to look forward to are DF:UW and Pathfinder Online that only one released is Xsyon. But no one wants to be Xsyon it is to hardcore and DF is a niche group (Concerned about the themepark features myself). And Pathfinder Online isn't even mentioned on this site but that will be for real MMORPG players.

I am on the fence about DF:UW becuase I think it will be even more casual than DF was. Yes DF was missing a lot of elements to make it truly a hardcore game.

Xsyon just need time to develop but it is even no the best MMO feature wise and you have freedom to do anything you want and build anywhere in the world you want. Population is just to small.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Hey, we are talking Aventurine here...pointless thread.

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    So I guess this is goodbye then.... It has been good not knowing you, have fun and take care and all that! Bubye!

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
      OP  you can join me in HKO...we can like have all sorts of fun magical adventures togeather.

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

It is your own fault, the writing is all over the walls.  NEVER listen to paid writers anymore. Under no circumstances belive anything the authors from this site or other game sites write. They are no longer accurate. They over hype the game to maintain favor with the devs to keep beta access privlages. The quickest way to get your site reps kicked out of beta and black balled  is give a game negative reviews. When was the last time you read a negative article about an MMO not released yet?

For a quick example in my entire MMO career I have never seen such a hyped up P.O.S aspect of a game than what this site wrote about TESO. "Megaserver"!!! are you F*%#&@&; kidding me. Its god d&#n Instances, Oh but you get to choose what type people you want to play with. Its nothing more than instances with check box options. If someone actually bought into that article they need clubbed in the head, hopefully it would knock some sense into them. Seriously you think that garbage will work you need to leave MMO's. "Oh i dont want to play with grievers so im going to click the favor PvE instance option" Lets see how well that turns out for you.  Talk about sheep being lead to slaughter.

You need to read gamer reviews, you need to learn to wade through all the troll post reviews, and the over the top fanboy posts. Even though there is always good info that comes out of those posts, you just need to know what you like in your games to know if what they are saying might apply to you!

Remeber the golden rule: never buy into the hype.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• kingotnwkingotnw Member UncommonPosts: 103
    I'm looking forward to checking this out. I tried the original DF and it seemed alright, but I was so late to the party and I didn't know anyone. To the OP... I myself and pretty much done with themepark MMORPGs all together. I really don't care what amount of hype they put behind them anymore, I just have no interest in them. I'm really hoping the EQnext is a huge sandbox game so I can get behind that.
  • makiimakii Member Posts: 280
    u guys expect to much. If this game was that great they would post more footage, but instead they hide everything because something seems wrong with this game. I will try to catch as many fools as possible, it doesnt matter if they quit the first month. They need that money to make Darkfall 3, with new gameengine and even more wowish. Maybe someday there be over 10k players in all servers together.
  • HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    Originally posted by makii
    u guys expect to much. If this game was that great they would post more footage, but instead they hide everything because something seems wrong with this game. I will try to catch as many fools as possible, it doesnt matter if they quit the first month. They need that money to make Darkfall 3, with new gameengine and even more wowish. Maybe someday there be over 10k players in all servers together.

So why are they giving old players the game for free?

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Ultima Online and SWG were massive successes.  You lose.

It's not about the PvP or the full loot.  It's always been about everything else that makes up the game.  THey haven't gotten everything else right.  It takes a number of very thought out game mechanics to support an environment like this, and it just hasn't been done.

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    Originally posted by DAS1337

It's not about the PvP or the full loot.  It's always been about everything else that makes up the game.  THey haven't gotten everything else right.  It takes a number of very thought out game mechanics to support an environment like this, and it just hasn't been done.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by DAS1337

pretty much why DFO never really caught on, i don't think UW is really enough of a fix to DFO's issues that it will be succeed where DFO failed, it is a shame though, DFO had possibilities, but the thinking behind the game mechanics was too limited imo, the constant need to grind was a factor that hindered the games success too, if ever a game needed skill caps, then DFO was it, sadly its something that hasnt been addressed in UW,  not yet at least, maybe UW will finally be the wake up call, but its not something i'd hold my breath for. image

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I would give up entirely, surely world of darkness will appeal to darkfall players?