Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are the 3 sides actually balanced?

ImpsyImpsy Member UncommonPosts: 53
Simple question really. Convoluted troll-bait answers I'm sure. Are the 3 sides balanced? What are the pros and cons of each side? Why is there a population discrepancy?

Comments

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973
    Simple answer.. No..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Eachside has pros and cons,

NC,

Pros: Highest damage

Cons: Weakest armour and lowest rate of fire

VS,

Pros: Least projectile drop off, best tank armour, hardest to see at night time.

Cons: Tamks are murder to manouvere, weapon fire gives away position easily, purpule bodystockings are gay!

TR,

Pros: Highest rate of fire,the best organised faction I've played with so far (obviously not an ingame design feature).

Cons: Shitty weapon stability (very hard to aim), the other factions often co-operate to rape the TR (maybe me just being paranoid).

That's the most I've learnt so far, I don't see massive imbalance in factions though for a while shotguns (especially NC shotties) have been WAY OP! Turning a corner and going from full health and shields to butt raped in one shot was getting old real fast. I think they may have adjusted that since it hasn't been happening recently, there are patches atleast every other day so stuff is being balanced and tweaked all the time.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Its a SOE game, of course nothing is balanced.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

I'll sound like a broken record and say that the game is entitled to be unbalanced at this phase of development. Even games already released sometimes take years to balance, if ever.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107
    Originally posted by Xasapis
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

I'll sound like a broken record and say that the game is entitled to be unbalanced at this phase of development. Even games already released sometimes take years to balance, if ever.

Weren't they releasing within a month though..? I love the game but I'd think they should be pretty close to balance right now.

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

Simple answer  No

however, is it unplayable in terms of not being able to beat a faction with least effort/maximum gain with another faction that has the most problems? also, no

each faction has their advantages, many will over look them and focus on what they see while few will understand them and exploit those who are blissfully ignorant.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I've been VS at heart with PS1, VS was always the least popular faction (except during the broken Lasher era), and as per usual, VS is the least populated in PS2 as well and it's difficult to get kills as VS compared to TR which is a cakewalk to get kills with.

No, it's not balanced, and the population balance makes it worse.

• fadisfadis Member Posts: 469

Simple answer.  As factions, pretty much.  There is a lot of variance in individual units/weapons - however.

Find someone that plays the majority of their time with 1 faction and they will tell you the other 2 are OP in some way or another.

The game is about conquest and teamplay.  Whatever imbalances there might be are insignificant against organization.

ex.  guy above writes about VS being weak... but the VS Magrider is easily the best MBT... and MBT spam is pretty much the easiest way to conquer large sections of Indar and Esamir. 

going further - I'll use my own stats.  I play mostly NC... I'm probably a mediocre player... my overall K/D ratio is just under 2:1.  But... by empire... I've killed about 4 times as many TR as VS --- and my ratio of killing TR is greater than 2:1... while VS is .85:1.

So from my perspective... however it is I play - mostly Heavy Assault - .... VS are OP and TR are easy kills. 

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by fadis

Simple answer.  Pretty much.

Find someone that plays the majority of their time with 1 faction and they will tell you the other 2 are OP in some way or another.

The game is about conquest and teamplay.  Whatever imbalances there might be are insignificant against organization.

That couldn't be further from the truth, you really should take the time to look into it a little more.

The imbalances existing are gamebreaking. You probably play NC :P

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by GolbezTheLion

Simple answer.  Pretty much.

That couldn't be further from the truth, you really should take the time to look into it a little more.

The imbalances existing are gamebreaking. You probably play NC :P

TR here, got no probs with balancing.

maybe it's just you after all :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• sgtalonsgtalon Member UncommonPosts: 129

I think that overall the teams are balanced. Sure one team might have better whatever, but skill and tactics are way more important that the little variations in weapon stats. 

I know tons pf people that say this weapon or that vehicle is over powered or under powered, yet there are tons of people that are experts at those things and completely dominate with them. 

As a primarily support role guy running Medic or Engineer, i have a positive Kill Death ratio pretty much every night. Normally i am working on capturing or defending outposts, I don't  normally join the giant zerg fights. Even as an Engineer i have had tremendous Kill Streaks because smart playing is much more important than the numbers on weapons.

I have killed multiple Heavy Assault defending or capturing a base without dying. Just last night I was able to capture an outpost solo with 3 or 4 people defending it that kept pulling Heavy Assault and snipers just by being smart about my tactics.

If you stand toe to toe and flgiht like it is World of Warcraft, sure the balance is off. But if you play it like a shooter and use smart tactics, it is not.

So don't listen to the cry babies :)

PS2 is a seriously great game. It gets even better when you find an Outfit that has good tactics. IF the game releaased right now it would be awesome. Give it another 2-3 weeks and it will only get better.

Simple answer.  As factions, pretty much.  There is a lot of variance in individual units/weapons - however. Find someone that plays the majority of their time with 1 faction and they will tell you the other 2 are OP in some way or another. The game is about conquest and teamplay.  Whatever imbalances there might be are insignificant against organization. ex.  guy above writes about VS being weak... but the VS Magrider is easily the best MBT... and MBT spam is pretty much the easiest way to conquer large sections of Indar and Esamir. going further - I'll use my own stats.  I play mostly NC... I'm probably a mediocre player... my overall K/D ratio is just under 2:1.  But... by empire... I've killed about 4 times as many TR as VS --- and my ratio of killing TR is greater than 2:1... while VS is .85:1.So from my perspective... however it is I play - mostly Heavy Assault - .... VS are OP and TR are easy kills.   
    The Magrider should be VS's strong point, as it was in PS1 as well as the Quasar too but too bad the MAX isn't even worth equipping in PS2.

But you can't take the MBT everywhere you go, I rolled an NC last night on a different server and faced an army of Magriders and it took a lot of effort to take them out, once we got inside their base the VS couldn't really fight back.

Originally posted by sgtalon
    I think that overall the teams are balanced. Sure one team might have better whatever, but skill and tactics are way more important that the little variations in weapon stats. 

Originally posted by Thane

Roll a VS, come back and tell us how it went.

• mikecacklemikecackle Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by TeknoBug

Originally posted by sgtalon

Originally posted by Thane

Roll a VS, come back and tell us how it went.

heh well said...

Game is so out of control, its a complete flop... those are my feelings.. I am err was a hardcore elite PS1 vet... I played PS2 beta in the highest levels of clan play and watch the game unfold into the biggest pile of crap that is now just showing the signs of how they are going to exploit it for cash.. The entire fun of what was there has been stripped, there has never been point to more than half of the playable content as the games goals are non existant... i dont even understand why people log in anymore.. they are simply fed this unlock system that makes games become crack based addictive... painted over one horribly designed game that did not even come close to any real vision...

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973
    Its alot closer than it was in the beginning and even more so than it was in Planetside 1.

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• ImpsyImpsy Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Ok folks, with the actual release being on 3 days away, what are everyone's thoughts now on the game being balanced? If you think there's a problem let it be heard here and why you think so!
  • SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375
    Originally posted by Impsy
    Ok folks, with the actual release being on 3 days away, what are everyone's thoughts now on the game being balanced? If you think there's a problem let it be heard here and why you think so!

I think they've done a pretty damn good job on balancing, infantry is almost perfectly balanced, some vehicles need a bit of adjusting, but overall i'm happy where the game is at present, there's certainly not a OMG OP feeling to any faction.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Originally posted by SysFail

I think they've done a pretty damn good job on balancing, infantry is almost perfectly balanced, some vehicles need a bit of adjusting, but overall i'm happy where the game is at present, there's certainly not a OMG OP feeling to any faction.

This.

• Yoottos'HorgYoottos'Horg Member UncommonPosts: 297

I really enjoy the game and I will be playing it upon release. However, the game is in constant flux. They add, remove, and modify certification all the time (sometimes it seems like every patch)--the chasis certification comes to mind. I know SOE is going to pay-to-win this thing to death but I dont think that matters as much to a group, just individuals. Most of the time you find yourself caught up in a zerg and personal certfifications don't matter as much in that situation. Now when you're capping a far outpost by yourself...well then...certifications matter.

Here is a tip: You want an easy way to get certification points? Cert a High Explosive (HE) Lightning and start following the zerg. If you're real lucky you can come upon an AMS Suny and farm the crap out of them. HE + zerg = faming. It's just that simple...

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

I've had no problems with balancing.  Little vehicle quirks here and there that I think needs addressing but nothing too terrible.  I do wish the Vanu weren't so damned hard to see at night (you know how hard it is to snipe someone who is just as dark as the environment?). That being said, I used that tactic to sneak into many a base and snipe people who thought they were safe.  

That being said the NC is the only group I can't get into.  That entire rather be a poor free miserable person than a rich indentured happy person is a load of garbage.  Especially since "freedom" isn't more than a perception thing.

I've been itching for launch.  Happy hunting everyone.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's good that the sides aren't balanced carbon copies of each other. This is one of the things that made daoc and planetside so good. It breeds antagonism.
  • WaldoCornWaldoCorn Member UncommonPosts: 235

Balanced, well Ive played each race, and always think man those red guys are tough, or jeez those blue dudes are tough, or god

those purple guys are tough.

But by the same token Ive seen each get rolled by the zerg.

So yeah they are, and no thank, god they are not. Strange answer, I know.

See the world and all within it.
    Live a lifetime in every minute.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

its not balanced, but its unbalanced in such a way that it really feels as if every empire has their own strenghts and weaknesses. Making it a choice of preference

so.. stat/role/strenght wise.. unbalanced

gameplaywise.. balanced

yust my opinion

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Grass is always greener on the other side.

I think each faction has their strong and weak points, so a direct answer to your question is NO factions aint balanced in terms of damage / hp / armor / tank / aircraft / troopers.

But when it comes down on massive battles ( thats what PS2 is all about) its actualy balanced.

Sure there needs to be some tweaks left and right, but there isnt much diffrence in those bigger battles.

As a TR player we got our asses handed alot of times by both other factions, its always smell fishy when you lose alot of ground.
    But like most games you have the good and the bad days.

The only major concern is that PS2 needs Extremely high end hardware to run smooth, this may backfire alot as not many people have a 7970 / 670 with a super proc installed.
    Performance means a world of diffrence in shooters, so there is more imbalance in terms of hardware performance then actual damage / armor performance.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    You don't need a card as fast as a 7970. 7850 is fast enough for ps2 on good settings. You can get by on medium settings with a 6850.

560 onwards should be done with nvidia also.