Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Developer who made the most impact on mmo?

2»

Comments

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

A lot of what made EQ tick was directly from Brad, and EQ probably had the biggest impact on MMOs. You can see his influence in Vanguard, which is insanely similar to EQ.

But Lord British and Koster were pretty huge in sandbox design...

Mark Jacobs... I honestly have no idea how much he actually contributed to DAoC and all of Mythic's games before DAoC. How much was Mythic and how much was Jacobs? We'll never know because Jacobs hasn't made any MMOs outside of Mythic.

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    Originally posted by Terranah
    Ralph Koster for SWG.  He didn't just create a world, he created a galaxy.  Wasting his talents at the moment from what I have read.

sadly msot of the  original devs are doing exact same thing he is doing either nothing or some facebook  thingieimage

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    I voted for John Smedley because he is the only one who has been continueously active since the old days into the present trying to create some type of innovation in the MMO industry. He is the only AAA player who is still talking about sandboxes and that is good thing. He is not just trying to copy old ideas either. Smedley is the one who came up with the idea of SOEmote which will probably be a mainstay in next generation MMOs. Remember Smedley is an old Dungeons and Dragons enthusiast where the only limits are the bounds of the imagination. If anyone is going produce that perfect MMO Smedley has got the best chance.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I still say whoever it was at funcom who came up with the idea of instances in anarchy online.

That has had the biggest impact on mmos.
  • XarnthalXarnthal Member Posts: 130

In this poll we see how many people have NO clue about the MMO industry. 

Sennheiser
    Assist
    Thage

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    This is a hard one. So many of them have made a massive impact on MMOs through what they've done and the people they've inspired.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Jeff Strain has my vote as well.

Lead programmer of THE MMO that changed MMOs forever (for better or worse).

Founder of the company currently making the biggest waves in the industry.

Yep, easy one for me.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

A lot of what made EQ tick was directly from Brad, and EQ probably had the biggest impact on MMOs. You can see his influence in Vanguard, which is insanely similar to EQ.

But Lord British and Koster were pretty huge in sandbox design...

Mark Jacobs... I honestly have no idea how much he actually contributed to DAoC and all of Mythic's games before DAoC. How much was Mythic and how much was Jacobs? We'll never know because Jacobs hasn't made any MMOs outside of Mythic.

well jacobs is pretty much mythic he created it and  kept it going  for a long time.i sort of have a soft spot for people who not only had to create a mmo but had to run a company on such a tight budget also .

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Kenze
    I voted other, since you didnt have the legendary Derek Smart as a choice.

This. Derek Smart is awesome at developing MMO.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by Xarnthal

In this poll we see how many people have NO clue about the MMO industry. 

+1.