Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Nothing Like GW2

13»

Comments

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013
    Originally posted by Entinerint
    Originally posted by Consensus

Sounds like another murdering of a great singleplayer series to me.

Pretty much.

From what first impressions of pre alpha gameplay footage the guy that saw during the interview that was hosted here in mmorpg.com it sounded completely different.More like a solid mmorpg with oblivion-skyrim style combat and much better in design and ideas than most current mmos we ve seen so far.

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by Wizardry
    Originally posted by GreenishBlue
    like Skyrim if you play in that province? I don't see TESO to be Skyrim 2; TESO has some GW2 and other WoW clones elements; I think many will be dissapointed

I never liked Skyrim nor Wow,so don't want to see anything like either.

I want to see NON linear and a developer that can create/design,not just copy.

Physx? Destructive surfaces? interaction? will this game have anything other than a world to wander around doing the exact same thing i was doing in my last game?How about team work to do quests,and by that i don't mean holding each others hand,maybe 2 players go in one direction and 2 the other,why does every game have to copy each other?

What i see right now is a ton of MMORPG's that are empty shells,then the ONLY change is a new set of textures.The main games are extremely shallow,nothing more than a push to end level and 99% of the time,done with linear questing ,i want my adventure to fel like a Role playing adventure from level 1>end.I don't want level 1 to be 3 kills and i am level 2 that is just stupid gaming.

I have played Elder scrolls and to be honest ,i am expecting nothing from this developer.If they can surprise me i will be jumping out my chair for joy and more than willing to give them my money.I want to wander into a game and feel like the creator/producer put some real thought into the game.I don't want to feel like i hand my tickets over and jump onto a linear ride.

If you dislike Elder Scrolls games so much, why are you even bothering to follow this game? It would seem you could find something better to do with your time. As far as non linear goes.... Skyrim is pretty non-linear apart from the main quest which you don't ever have to do.....

• amadeuzamadeuz Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by Ambros123
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo

I believe TESO will have more tactical combat than GW2 and more quests mixed with events. I've always wanted an elder scrolls online world.  

I've heard alot of whining on this forum on GW2 and how disappointing it was after 1 month. This is how it works with all mmorpgs, people rush through the game and only think about reaching max level and complete all quests, get the best gear as fast they can. The problem lies with the player not the game. I still have fun in GW2, i don't have World completion only 35% and 6 alts. If you are bored with a game, play another game and then in a few weeks/months you will eventually come back to the old game and enjoy it. Please stop blame the games, blame yourselves.

I didn't rush to 80 nor did I rush to get the best gear.  I'm just losing intreset.  GW2 has tremendous potential and is a good game, combat is fun and the lore is pretty good.  GW2 has a lot of great concepts but they didn't finish em to it's full potential.

Home instance was a let down, your race personal story was like a teaser used in betas and is broken up bits and pieces if you do it at level, cross profession combos are sorta a pain to pull off as both have to time their skills right which is just too much hassle (knowing what professions can do what, knowing what combo field is there, knowing which of your skills will do a useful combo are just a bit overboard in calculation), major DEs are a tremoundous let down when your in a zerg enviroment or how aggrivating it is when champions will 1-2 shot you no matter how well one can dodge not to mention it's very static. 

Then there is the whole repairs debate and how dungeons are just not worth the repair cost nor about the ridiculous amount of grinding it takes for legendary iterms nor how DRs are a slap in the face to people who want to work on their legendary items.

A week ago I had written off ESO as a "meh" MMO who are trying to cash in on an IP but from what I hear from reviewers is that ESO is what GW2 lacks in.  Real exploration, variety of quests that are not kill this or gather that, real tactical teamwork combination, a real story.  I jsut hope that they will do player housing

People aren't whining because they rushed through content but are seeing the game for what it truely is and the "oooo shiney" effect is wearing off.  GW2 is still a value as one can play whenever they feel like and a great game for inbetween times of patches or games.

From what I listened to the preview from OP's link audio, it seems like ESO is trying to be Skyrim in multiplayer game, and try to fulfill what GW2 lack in, and this is a good thing. I love Elder Scroll games, also I like GW2 and I know GW2 has a great potential but it lacks a lot of great things that I wish it should be in the game right now.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by halflife25
    When people say TESO is more like GW2 they mean that it is deviating from old themepark model. But it is true that TESO is not your typical WOW clone as haters wanteed us to believe. TESO is more like Skyrim..i have been hearing that a lot from those who tried alpha and it is great in my book because i love Skyrim.

All the old information painted it to be a typical WoW clone. Now they've seen how bad SWTOR did and are trying to steer it to be more of a GW2 clone. We didn't make it up, that's fact. Look at the old previews, they say WoW constantly in the articles.

Sadly they're still leaving in retarded shit like phasing.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by amadeuz

I believe TESO will have more tactical combat than GW2 and more quests mixed with events. I've always wanted an elder scrolls online world.  

I've heard alot of whining on this forum on GW2 and how disappointing it was after 1 month. This is how it works with all mmorpgs, people rush through the game and only think about reaching max level and complete all quests, get the best gear as fast they can. The problem lies with the player not the game. I still have fun in GW2, i don't have World completion only 35% and 6 alts. If you are bored with a game, play another game and then in a few weeks/months you will eventually come back to the old game and enjoy it. Please stop blame the games, blame yourselves.

I didn't rush to 80 nor did I rush to get the best gear.  I'm just losing intreset.  GW2 has tremendous potential and is a good game, combat is fun and the lore is pretty good.  GW2 has a lot of great concepts but they didn't finish em to it's full potential.

Home instance was a let down, your race personal story was like a teaser used in betas and is broken up bits and pieces if you do it at level, cross profession combos are sorta a pain to pull off as both have to time their skills right which is just too much hassle (knowing what professions can do what, knowing what combo field is there, knowing which of your skills will do a useful combo are just a bit overboard in calculation), major DEs are a tremoundous let down when your in a zerg enviroment or how aggrivating it is when champions will 1-2 shot you no matter how well one can dodge not to mention it's very static. 

Then there is the whole repairs debate and how dungeons are just not worth the repair cost nor about the ridiculous amount of grinding it takes for legendary iterms nor how DRs are a slap in the face to people who want to work on their legendary items.

A week ago I had written off ESO as a "meh" MMO who are trying to cash in on an IP but from what I hear from reviewers is that ESO is what GW2 lacks in.  Real exploration, variety of quests that are not kill this or gather that, real tactical teamwork combination, a real story.  I jsut hope that they will do player housing

People aren't whining because they rushed through content but are seeing the game for what it truely is and the "oooo shiney" effect is wearing off.  GW2 is still a value as one can play whenever they feel like and a great game for inbetween times of patches or games.

From what I listened to the preview from OP's link audio, it seems like ESO is trying to be Skyrim in multiplayer game, and try to fulfill what GW2 lack in, and this is a good thing. I love Elder Scroll games, also I like GW2 and I know GW2 has a great potential but it lacks a lot of great things that I wish it should be in the game right now.

They have got a LOT of work still to do if they want it to be like Skyrim online.  They are closer than they were, but still more like WoW than TES.

• umie214umie214 Member Posts: 123

great to see the effect GW2 has had on the industry. in all honesty, any future MMO's wont stand a chance unless they adopt the dynamic event system. 

as for ESO, i doubt it will pull me away from GW2. i doubt it will have any sort of decent PVP. 

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    Originally posted by umie214

great to see the effect GW2 has had on the industry. in all honesty, any future MMO's wont stand a chance unless they adopt the dynamic event system. 

as for ESO, i doubt it will pull me away from GW2. i doubt it will have any sort of decent PVP. 

Lets hope they adapt the dynamic events, but not the cash shop. Though tbh, I find it hard for any mmorpg these days to survive without at least some sort of hybrid monetary model. The pure cash shop is just bad for end customer that wants a long term mmorpg entertainment.

Originally posted by umie214

Quest grinding needed to be axed FAST. That and instancing have led to the poor state of modern MMOs.

Sadly GW2 gets rid of quest grinding but doesn't encourage socializing enough.

Originally posted by tazarconan

Pretty much.

From what first impressions of pre alpha gameplay footage the guy that saw during the interview that was hosted here in mmorpg.com it sounded completely different.More like a solid mmorpg with oblivion-skyrim style combat and much better in design and ideas than most current mmos we ve seen so far.

It has phasing. Thats about the worst design decision possible.

And can we please stop saying pre alpha? I know the devs are trying to convince us that's what it is, but that's just marketing BS. Pre alpha is the new beta I guess.

If it was pre alpha, there wouldn't be functional features, much less playable gameplay.

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406
    Originally posted by amadeuz

I don't understand. You basicly discribed the features that GW2 is best in (Exploration and a real story) and then procede to say it's what GW2 lacks in ....

They have got a LOT of work still to do if they want it to be like Skyrim online.  They are closer than they were, but still more like WoW than TES.

The green bit...

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Pretty much.

And can we please stop saying pre alpha? I know the devs are trying to convince us that's what it is, but that's just marketing BS. Pre alpha is the new beta I guess.

If it was pre alpha, there wouldn't be functional features, much less playable gameplay.

He's right ...

Alpha is for testing and Beta is for marketing :)

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Pretty much.

What u mean by phasing?

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by fernetek
    In complete seriousness, it won't be Skyrim for me unless I can A) Murder villagers

Having players that much freedom in a MMO these days will ruin it.

People will kill everything in sight, they will greif as much as possible till TESO gameworld is utterly dead and barren.

There has to be something in the middle UO/EVE kind of system to prevent this sort of behaviour.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• GN-003GN-003 Member Posts: 78
    Whatever, show me the money! I'd like to sit down and watch (ideally I'd like to play it) someone play TESO for a couple of hours and then, only then will I decide whether or not this is a proper Elder Scrolls game.