Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

I give up.

Comments

• fenistilfenistil GliwicePosts: 3,005Member

Only possible save for Vanguard was closing it shortly after fail release, working on it for at least a year to iron out bugs, horrible performance and huge exploit possibilites and then restarting fresh.  

• ToxiaToxia Lake Charles, LAPosts: 1,319Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Eazydzzz

Give up.  Seriously.  Playing Anarchy Online, Asheron's Call, hell even PSO.  That's all done.

Remember when PC games made you think.  Like really think?

PC games were for the smart people, sans diablo and warcraft of course.

Deep, mentally engaging games that only a few understood.

Remember being a nerd was actually an insult?  It didn't just mean you were some tight pants, hard rimed glasses wearing poser?

Being a "nerd" was not a trendy term, it was what you got called by the jocks as a serious insult.  YOu could be a pussy and take it for what it was, or wear it as a badge of honor and find ingenious ways to  have sex with their sisters/mothers/girlfriends.

Remember when you played an mmo in 1999 and thought "man I wonder what these games will be like in 10 years"?

Did you picture pandas?  Did you picture a mindless pvp zerg gw2 grind?  Did you picture psuedo pedophlia mixed with wanna-be action combat a la tera?

The Secret World is the only game that comes even remotely close to dreams.  But it sells nothing.  It's not even worth.

When you watched star trek and imagined it as a virtual world, did you you picture STO??

The first time you saw an original star wars movie, could you picture SWTOR?

SWTOR is a destruction of dreams.

But then I saw the video of the dude who made wing commander games wanting to make a new game.  His vision is the vision.  His vision of pc gaming in 2012 is accurate.  What he wants to do is what should be done.  It's what we should fork over our hard earned cash for.  A sophisticated experience. 

Not this gear grinding repetative garbage.  Made for complete fucking morons.

I find it sad that when I sit down for video game time, and I maybe have an hour to play, that I end up playing a game that was released in 1994 over the plethora of modern games I have at my disposal.

The fact that an "old school" game can be more mentally stimulating than a new game is sad.

Seems to get that what you expect from a game is hardly ever(in his case never) what you get.

Proceeds to be hyped anyway.

Trainwreck in future. Calling it!

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• wordizwordiz Eugene, ORPosts: 464Member
    This OP is the truth! If I could go back in time and show 12 year old me where MMO's were headed I would have never quit playing EQ. All the money I have wasted in just the last two year alone...smh. We have the tech to make worlds bigger than we can even imagine, but that space that could be used to make a game massive is instead used for pretty graphics. I'd take gameplay over eye candy any day, which is why us old school gamers find ourselves going back to the classics. I've put more hours into Skyrim or New Vegas than I've put into the last 3 mmo's i've played combined probably, capped out, full gear and all. It's just sad really.
  • ZekiahZekiah Aurora, COPosts: 2,499Member

Remember when you played an mmo in 1999 and thought "man I wonder what these games will be like in 10 years"? 

Yep, I remember thinking that during my UO days. But the future became fail, full of disappoint. We should be miles from where we are now. It's really sad.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• rastapastorrastapastor KnurPosts: 153Member Uncommon

I've played games back then, i play games now and i don't find old games any harder than now...

I really don't understand this "ooo im an old school player and im mega pro, You, nowdays gamers, all suck!", it's bullshit. Games weren't harder 10-20 years ago, it's just nostalgia, u miss those old days, cuz u were young or u met some ppl (ye, gamers community sucks nowdays. U meet "old school" idiots who thinks they ate all brains and who have delusions that they are the most skilled players of all, or You meet nowdays trolls, who destroys enjoyment by their behaviour and i can agree here) or for whatever reason. 

I've been playing games for over 20 years.

• BossalinieBossalinie Hattiesburg, MSPosts: 683Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by rastapastor

I've played games back then, i play games now and i don't find old games any harder than now...

I really don't understand this "ooo im an old school player and im mega pro, You, nowdays gamers, all suck!", it's bullshit. Games weren't harder 10-20 years ago, it's just nostalgia, u miss those old days, cuz u were young or u met some ppl (ye, gamers community sucks nowdays. U meet "old school" idiots who thinks they ate all brains and who have delusions that they are the most skilled players of all, or You meet nowdays trolls, who destroys enjoyment by their behaviour and i can agree here) or for whatever reason. 

+20 year gamer here and I agree with this. Just like everything else in this world, you'll have your "Get off my lawn" individuals. Don't let your video game phd turn you into that guy...

• SabbathSMCSabbathSMC Katy, TXPosts: 226Member

Our games have been dumbed down just like our education system.

seriously here is a 8th grade exam in 1895 can you even score a 50 on it?

What it took to get an 8th grade education in 1895...

Remember when grandparents and great-grandparents stated that they only had an 8th grade education? Well, check this out. Could any of us have passed the 8th grade in 1895?

This is the eighth-grade final exam from 1895 in Salina, Kansas, USA. It was taken from the original document on file at the Smokey Valley Genealogical Society and Library in Salina, and reprinted by the Salina Journal.

8th Grade Final Exam: Salina , KS - 1895

Grammar (Time, one hour)
    1. Give nine rules for the use of capital letters.
    2. Name the parts of speech and define those that have no modifications.
    3. Define verse, stanza and paragraph
    4. What are the principal parts of a verb? Give principal parts of 'lie,' 'play,' and 'run.'
    5. Define case; illustrate each case.
    6 What is punctuation? Give rules for principal marks of punctuation.
    7 - 10. Write a composition of about 150 words and show therein that you understand the practical use of the rules of grammar.

Arithmetic (Time,1 hour 15 minutes)
    1. Name and define the Fundamental Rules of Arithmetic.
    2. A wagon box is 2 ft. Deep, 10 feet long, and 3 ft. Wide. How many bushels of wheat will it hold?
    3. If a load of wheat weighs 3,942 lbs., what is it worth at 50cts/bushel, deducting 1,050 lbs? For tare?
    4. District No 33 has a valuation of $35,000... What is the necessary levy to carry on a school seven months at $50 per month, and have $104 for incidentals?
    5. Find the cost of 6,720 lbs. Coal at $6.00 per ton.
    6. Find the interest of $512.60 for 8 months and 18 days at 7 percent.
    7. What is the cost of 40 boards 12 inches wide and 16 ft...? Long at $20 per metre?
    8. Find bank discount on $300 for 90 days (no grace) at 10 percent.
    9. What is the cost of a square farm at $15 per acre, the distance of which is 640 rods?
    10. Write a Bank Check, a Promissory Note, and a Receipt

U.S. History (Time, 45 minutes)
    1. Give the epochs into which U.S. History is divided
    2. Give an account of the discovery of America by Columbus
    3. Relate the causes and results of the Revolutionary War.
    4. Show the territorial growth of the United States
    5. Tell what you can of the history of Kansas
    6. Describe three of the most prominent battles of the Rebellion.
    7. Who were the following: Morse, Whitney, Fulton, Bell, Lincoln, Penn, and Howe?
    8. Name events connected with the following dates: 1607, 1620, 1800, 1849, and 1865.

Orthography (Time, one hour)
    [Do we even know what this is??]
    1. What is meant by the following: alphabet, phonetic, orthography, etymology, syllabication
    2. What are elementary sounds? How classified?
    3. What are the following, and give examples of each: trigraph, subvocals, diphthong, cognate letters, linguals
    4. Give four substitutes for caret 'u.' (HUH?)
    5. Give two rules for spelling words with final 'e.' Name two exceptions under each rule.
    6. Give two uses of silent letters in spelling. Illustrate each.

7. Define the following prefixes and use in connection with a word: bi, dis-mis, pre, semi, post, non, inter, mono, sup.
    8. Mark diacritically and divide into syllables the following, and name the sign that indicates the sound: card, ball, mercy, sir, odd, cell, rise, blood, fare, last.
    9. Use the following correctly in sentences: cite, site, sight, fane, fain, feign, vane, vain, vein, raze, raise, rays.
    10. Write 10 words frequently mispronounced and indicate pronunciation by use of diacritical marks
    and by syllabication.

Geography (Time, one hour)
    1 What is climate? Upon what does climate depend?
    2. How do you account for the extremes of climate in Kansas?
    3. Of what use are rivers? Of what use is the ocean?
    4. Describe the mountains of North America
    5. Name and describe the following: Monrovia, Odessa, Denver, Manitoba, Hecla, Yukon, St. Helena, Juan Fernandez, Aspinwall and Orinoco
    6. Name and locate the principal trade centers of the U.S. Name all the republics of Europe and give the capital of each...
    8. Why is
    the Atlantic Coast colder than the Pacific in the same latitude?
    9. Describe the process by which the water of the ocean returns to the sources of rivers.
    10. Describe the movements of the earth. Give the inclination of the earth.

Notice that the exam took FIVE HOURS to complete.

Gives the saying 'he only had an 8th grade education' a whole new meaning, doesn't it?!

No wonder they dropped out after 8th grade. They already knew more than they needed to know!

No, I don't have the answers! And I don't think I ever did!

Have fun with this...pass it on so we'renot the only ones who feel stupid!!!

played M59,UO,lineage,EQ,Daoc,Entropia,SWG,Horizons,Lineage2.EQ2,Vangaurd,Irth online, DarkFall,Star Trek
    and many others that did not make the cut or i just plain forgetting about.

• kb056kb056 redford, MIPosts: 423Member Common
    Name them.
  • HelleriHelleri Felton, CAPosts: 927Member Uncommon

Give up.  Seriously.  Playing Anarchy Online, Asheron's Call, hell even PSO.  That's all done.

Remember when PC games made you think.  Like really think?

PC games were for the smart people, sans diablo and warcraft of course.

Deep, mentally engaging games that only a few understood.

Remember being a nerd was actually an insult?  It didn't just mean you were some tight pants, hard rimed glasses wearing poser?

Being a "nerd" was not a trendy term, it was what you got called by the jocks as a serious insult.  YOu could be a pussy and take it for what it was, or wear it as a badge of honor and find ingenious ways to  have sex with their sisters/mothers/girlfriends.

Did you picture pandas?  Did you picture a mindless pvp zerg gw2 grind?  Did you picture psuedo pedophlia mixed with wanna-be action combat a la tera?

The Secret World is the only game that comes even remotely close to dreams.  But it sells nothing.  It's not even worth.

When you watched star trek and imagined it as a virtual world, did you you picture STO??

The first time you saw an original star wars movie, could you picture SWTOR?

SWTOR is a destruction of dreams.

But then I saw the video of the dude who made wing commander games wanting to make a new game.  His vision is the vision.  His vision of pc gaming in 2012 is accurate.  What he wants to do is what should be done.  It's what we should fork over our hard earned cash for.  A sophisticated experience. 

Not this gear grinding repetative garbage.  Made for complete fucking morons.

I find it sad that when I sit down for video game time, and I maybe have an hour to play, that I end up playing a game that was released in 1994 over the plethora of modern games I have at my disposal.

The fact that an "old school" game can be more mentally stimulating than a new game is sad.

Games like the old ones (some of which are actually still running) such as ultima online or neverwinter nights, that have persisted through the years and upgraded as they went significantly don'rt exist anymore, IMO. They are all WoW-escs pretty much. There is one acception i think...

Runescape. People have learned to hate the very word for no truly good or valid reasons. 

But I will say if you want a game that requires patience, intelligence, strategy, timing, learning etc. to make it by...Runescape is the only game I can think of that requires all of that and more.

Let me give you  summary of a runescape quest which was recently released and you can do the moment you make a new account:

In drynor village you meet Ozan (runescapes signiture hero/mascot for rangers), he is concerned about a new gang of theives, but more importantly that an old friend (a guard from the desert city where ozan was exiled from after a frame up which you learn in the story line) is involved with them.

Ozan wants you to pose as a prospective new memeber of the gang. In short this leads to cautiously following the man to HQ for the gang, interogating him, and finding out that a prince has been kidnapped.

To reascue him you must travel with Ozan to Al Kahrid. Navigate desert city roof tops as if it were out of the alladin movies. Face of intellectually against a master spy, Steal the prize of a city through some serously mission impossible tactics, then use it to activate ancient devices, shortly before you loose it to giant dung beetles and have to recover it *shudders* only to face off against a desert godess who isn't playing with anything close to a full deck of cards (and the whole time this dang heart of al kahrid apears to be alive and is possesing people to state it's protest to your interference).

...and did I mention if you don't have plenty of water/light clothing/a way to refill water (such as cutting catus tops with a knife) you can die out there? or the flying carpets? And the complete rebuild of al kahrid that was released with the quest series? The full voice acting and cinematics?

This is a first half remake of the old prince ali rescue quest (the old quest is subsiquently being removed from the game).

I chalenge you to sign-up and do this quest and tell me Runescape doesn't know how to make a real MMO ; )

• dieman4dieman4 washington, WAPosts: 8Member

What your waiting for is called "Virtual Reality" now my friend. Wait for it. Its coming :P that will surely change gaming. However, not everyone will be able to handle it...thats why it will be a new era of gaming. It will split between gaming on a screen and gaming within a virtual world :P good days are coming...patients is key.

we've past that mark...Platforms like second life did a long time ago (especially since it is viewwable in 3d and has interactive...sensory....stimulants you can buy for it). 3DVU are not ever going to be true game building platforms nor true gaming in their own right. And, we're talking about MMO's which are semi escapisms  not toal escapisms.

• VardahothVardahoth Temecula, CAPosts: 386Member Uncommon

The only thing I can agree with here is the community of gamers has changed for the worse because:

#1 mmorpgs and the internet are much more widely used now, and any idiot is playing them now.

#2 They have dumbed down games so idiots and trolls don't have any problem playing them.

As far as the games not getting any easier, this is sorely mistaken. I will explain what lineage 2 used to be like vs what it is now:

#1 teleporting used to cost too much gold, so people ran the distances between towns instead of teleporting (alot can and did happen during this time).

#2 No raidbosses were instanced. Most raid bosses took 2 full 9man parties to kill (and most of the time people still died). The end game raidbosses spawned once a week (random time with 16 hour window from the time it was killed), and because of the pvp, it would require not just a clan, but a coordination of an alliance (usually around 100+ players) to kill it. If there was no opposition, I would say the raid boss would take about 45 players to kill. This means it gave clans you (or someone in your group) at war with could ambush you. Also when they did the raidboss spawn events outside of town people were dropping their gear (which took a good 4-6 months to get a full set).

Now instead, all the end-game raid bosses are instanced and some take as much as a single party to kill.

#3 Leveling used to be grinding off of monsters and not quest-exp given. There were repeatable quests you could take to get extra exp and gold off the spot you were grinding, but the majority of your exp/gold came from grinding the same level mobs for months (sometimes years even). Not only that, but it required you to party up with people because you couldn't do it by yourself.

Now they have instanced daily quests that get you to 99 easy and can be solo'd.

#4 If you died to a monster you had a chance of dropping 1/5 items/gear. This made everyone in your party pay attention to what they were doing. If 1 person didn't do their job, the whole party would suffer for it (and usually kos the idiot that made them loose gear if they couldn't get back in time to retrieve it). People also lost a good chunk of exp that without a bishop willing to spend 30+mins to get to where you are and give you a high level rez, or buying a brez which was only obtained through special currency that took about 2 days to farm for, you would find yourself spending a good 4+ hours farming the exp back you lost.

Now you no longer loose items/gear dieing to monsters. Now clans have a passive buff called clan luck that gives 50% exp back upon death, mixed with clanhall rez (also wasn't offered before) will give another 50% (40% if stacked with 50% buff) exp back upon death loosing up to a maximum of 0.02% per death (takes about 5 minutes to get back).

I'll stop right here unless you want me to give more examples.

I remember quitting WoW during vanilla for thinking that was too easy (even with 40man raids). I've only heard they dropped raids to like 10 people. Theres a non-L2 example for ya.

I will admit there is a bit of nostalgia to myself missing the "good ol days". But mostly I miss leveling, pvping, reputation, status, and relationships you held in game used to mean something. Now with this "everybody wins a trophy" gameplay it has made the level of competition and gameplay meaningless to me.

P.S. I did something that I haven't done in a long time. FFIV remake just came out for nintendo ds. I decided to give it a shot and I must say I still enjoyed it all the way to the end. Most the games that came out after ps2 I haven't been able to finish as they have just been so damn dull to me. What did I like so much about FFIV? The story line, and character buildup was amazing. They even did a good job for the voice acting. It just seemed to be a game more for adults than this pokemon crap.

I Quit.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/436845/page/1

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2316034
    Retired Gamer: all MMORPG's have been destroyed by big business, marketing of false promises, unprofessional game makers, and a generation of "I WIN and GIVE ME NOW".

I have been playing over 20 years myself... I can say... I have no real nostalgia besides discovering glitches, easter eggs, breaking game barriers and the like (one of my favorite in-game activities). Yeah that covers a lot of things. But not the real intended gameplay of games.

I will also say games were harder. as one example of games being harder....when is the last time you saw a game over screen and sat their in disbelief as a few hours of your saturday morning up to after noon was just flushed down the toilet in one fell swoop because you made a single mistake?

It's definately not in many MMO's I have played. There are few running that still have the institution of perma-death and loss of at least most of what you are carrying in items or monetary wealth or experience and sometimes combos of any of the 4 (two browser based examples that -though not full on about it- come to mind are Runescape and Dead Fontier). But too many MMO's are too forgiving of playing them poorly.

I also think it sucks that a player who is incompitent can chuck money at a lot of these games and buy their way to success on the backs of others. True the compitent people have the option to pay as well... but being better at games I have found tends to lend them towards not buying it if they can earn it or don't really need it.

A hard game offers true substantial loss as a consequence of failure. And, is unforgiving as to weather that failure was exactly your fault or not. People who need it easy rage quit these games, and all you can do is salute their departure as it proves a good garden weeds itself.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Elmhurst, ILPosts: 6,403Member

Not even sure how to answer the op's level of hubris.  Not sure if serious, honestly.  Seems too over the top to be other than a pretty standard troll.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• atticusbcatticusbc Posts: 1,069Member Uncommon

so what? people should apologize for not being physically abused, ostracized, having enough "nerd cred," being old enough, [insert random criteria that the op thinks makes a gamer]? y'know what? nerds these days are just as bad as the bullies from the op's "good old days." sorry that the world has advanced to be more inclusive. actualy, wait. no i'm not.

go enjoy your little world.

• eXizzLeeXizzLe detriot, MIPosts: 29Member

1 game to end all games...

DARKFALL: UNHOLY WARS 

• ragz45ragz45 rochester hills, MIPosts: 687Member Uncommon

The only way that we will ever see the possibility of a return to more hardcore gaming like what your discribing (al EQ, AC, UO, etc) is if a few things happen.

• The game is produced by a small privately owned studio
    • That studio chooses to cater to the MUCH less populated hardcore niche gamer
    • The direction the studio chooses to take the game isn't dictated by outside influence. (shareholders, backers, publisher)
    • That studio never ever sells out once they start to turn a profit to a larger corperation that offers them a buyout (EA, sony, etc)

There is simple too large of a market for the casual gaming crowd, and too small a market for the few of us that want a hardcore game with strong death penalties, reputation, required grouping, etc.  The situation is basically a perfect storm type, and we will probably never see it.  Because even if a studio did dare to make such a game, they would sell out to the highest bidder as soon as they started to turn a profit.
  • ragz45ragz45 rochester hills, MIPosts: 687Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by eXizzLe

If you bother to read many of the more indepth discussions about UW, you will notice that they are removing many of the Skill type actions required for the game.  Arrow drop being a good example.  Even Darkfall is simplifying their game to cater to the more casual crowd.

@atticusbc

That's a good point about what a nerd is having changed. For instance I am an antiques dealer (okay yeah pretty nerdy), who gets together with a jujitsu and kenpo instructor (one in the same person), An old ass guy who pretty much thinks the world should be shot (and probably is never far from doing it himself), Surly gas station manager who is a hardcore soldier of fortune survivalist, and some pretty big local dp's....we play MTG, D&D, Werewolf the apocolypse, Pirates of crimson waters, or exalted once a week (we switch off with campaigns).

Anicdotaly (and actually true on top of that), county sheriffs did come knocking on the door one night, they saw us make several munchies trips and one after closing (which ended up in vending machine munchies instead) and thought we were casing the convienience store.

Worst of all they could not see paydawns anima filling the room with light after a truly epic attack on a mob...damned mundane.

Point being one would probably not expect most of us to be into what we are into, nerding out the way we do each week. but any one can be a nerd these days. and it really is no longer a derogatory term. Unless your amongst people with boring lives.

• eXizzLeeXizzLe detriot, MIPosts: 29Member
    Originally posted by ragz45
    Originally posted by eXizzLe

If you bother to read many of the more indepth discussions about UW, you will notice that they are removing many of the Skill type actions required for the game.  Arrow drop being a good example.  Even Darkfall is simplifying their game to cater to the more casual crowd.

been playing since 09

they released a single video of 2 arrow abilites, arrow arc is still in there (normal shots). with those abilities taking 20% of your stam/mana you're not going to spamming that. and i still doubt that's the finished animation/physics

anyways i always loved the unique challenging aspect of DF's combat system, fact is only like 2% of the gaming population did, so i can't hate them for giving me more sheep to kill, hopefully dumbing down their game will bring in a larger population.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Privacy Preferred, NCPosts: 1,059Member

OP, developers are not stupid on average. They are making games for a main stream audience because that’s who plays and where the money is. It’s no longer a niche hobby for “nerds" and games like Halo are more popular and profitable than Hollywood films. That “jock” that used to bully you? Well, his modern day equivalent likely goes home and plays video games on the X-Box or an MMO too. The world changed and picking up games for PC is no longer a way to distinguish yourself from anyone else as somehow smarter and trying to screw some one else’s mom in high school or take a poke at their GF just to humiliate them is morally questionable in a snake like way to begin with. Somehow? I am glad you are bitter...

"Somehow? I'm glad you are bitter..."

The reason is probably being given proof that good gardens weed themselves.

...Unfortunately some weeds are mandrakes and scream allot before they die.

Originally posted by Vardahoth

The only thing I can agree with here is the community of gamers has changed for the worse because:

#1 mmorpgs and the internet are much more widely used now, and any idiot is playing them now.

#2 They have dumbed down games so idiots and trolls don't have any problem playing them.

As far as the games not getting any easier, this is sorely mistaken. I will explain what lineage 2 used to be like vs what it is now:

#1 teleporting used to cost too much gold, so people ran the distances between towns instead of teleporting (alot can and did happen during this time).

#2 No raidbosses were instanced. Most raid bosses took 2 full 9man parties to kill (and most of the time people still died). The end game raidbosses spawned once a week (random time with 16 hour window from the time it was killed), and because of the pvp, it would require not just a clan, but a coordination of an alliance (usually around 100+ players) to kill it. If there was no opposition, I would say the raid boss would take about 45 players to kill. This means it gave clans you (or someone in your group) at war with could ambush you. Also when they did the raidboss spawn events outside of town people were dropping their gear (which took a good 4-6 months to get a full set).

Now instead, all the end-game raid bosses are instanced and some take as much as a single party to kill.

#3 Leveling used to be grinding off of monsters and not quest-exp given. There were repeatable quests you could take to get extra exp and gold off the spot you were grinding, but the majority of your exp/gold came from grinding the same level mobs for months (sometimes years even). Not only that, but it required you to party up with people because you couldn't do it by yourself.

Now they have instanced daily quests that get you to 99 easy and can be solo'd.

#4 If you died to a monster you had a chance of dropping 1/5 items/gear. This made everyone in your party pay attention to what they were doing. If 1 person didn't do their job, the whole party would suffer for it (and usually kos the idiot that made them loose gear if they couldn't get back in time to retrieve it). People also lost a good chunk of exp that without a bishop willing to spend 30+mins to get to where you are and give you a high level rez, or buying a brez which was only obtained through special currency that took about 2 days to farm for, you would find yourself spending a good 4+ hours farming the exp back you lost.

Now you no longer loose items/gear dieing to monsters. Now clans have a passive buff called clan luck that gives 50% exp back upon death, mixed with clanhall rez (also wasn't offered before) will give another 50% (40% if stacked with 50% buff) exp back upon death loosing up to a maximum of 0.02% per death (takes about 5 minutes to get back).

I'll stop right here unless you want me to give more examples.

I remember quitting WoW during vanilla for thinking that was too easy (even with 40man raids). I've only heard they dropped raids to like 10 people. Theres a non-L2 example for ya.

I will admit there is a bit of nostalgia to myself missing the "good ol days". But mostly I miss leveling, pvping, reputation, status, and relationships you held in game used to mean something. Now with this "everybody wins a trophy" gameplay it has made the level of competition and gameplay meaningless to me.

P.S. I did something that I haven't done in a long time. FFIV remake just came out for nintendo ds. I decided to give it a shot and I must say I still enjoyed it all the way to the end. Most the games that came out after ps2 I haven't been able to finish as they have just been so damn dull to me. What did I like so much about FFIV? The story line, and character buildup was amazing. They even did a good job for the voice acting. It just seemed to be a game more for adults than this pokemon crap.

1. It's not hard to travel between cities...it's just time sinking. It's tricky only when u have ffa pvp ;)

2. Bosses weren't hard, they just had bazilion milions hp to burn down.

3. It's not hard, it's just boring, time sinking not challenging grindfest.

4. Here i can agree, chance to loose item after death was pretty cool, u had to focus 120% on what u do, so here i agree with You.

Hard content isn't boring grind to me. For PvE content, its just how bosses are designed, how deep and hard the mechanics are etc...For over 20 years i haven't seen any challenging or hard boss mechanic. Most so called "hard" bosses are just a gear check (u can't kill boss if i haven't enough gear to do required dps, healing or tanking), but when u get the gear, bosses are easy as...fuck? :)

I've played EQ, WoW, DAoC, SWG and some new MMOs, AoC, RIFT, SW: TOR, GW2. I personaly don't want to come back to old grind days, cuz gaming took a loot of time from my life, now i can casually jump in, have fun with events, dungs for 2 hours and jump off to my family, work etc ;). In GW2 for instance i'm not far behind ppl that put 32432432423423423453234234 hours into game, it's just about my skill and how FAST I LEARN the mechanics, proffesions etc. It's not how LONG I GRIND for particular item that gives me +20 to e-peen stat and allows me to encounter particular mob. 

Also think, back then ppl were generaly pretty bad at gaming MMOs were new etc, ppl have learned a lot over time and are learning now all the time, they know how to play now and for developers it's hard to make very very very hard mechanics, cuz ppl saw mostly all. Ofc they can do gear check boss, but it's rather lame ;)

[b] I respect[/b] Your opionion, but for me personaly, gaming wasn't hard at all, it was just time sinking back then ;)

The hardest boss mechanics i have run into are in runescape....Was just wandering around wildy one time and saw this weird gluttunous mass of tenticles (forgot what it's called I learned more about it after the encounter). "So i was like... yeah ima attack that...looks about a level I can handle"

big mistake... it used some weird whip ability with it's tenticles to teleport me seemingly randomly closer and nearer too it, it unequiped my weapons unless I changed them frequently, drained my prayer, and degraded my food (food in runescape isn't normaly degradable). I fought it for about 5 minutes before I relized it wasn't going any where good and fled...and a pk'er caught me on quater health.

Well in addition to my post, we can make very hardcore game...with perma death. You die, You loose everything, You character is deleted and You can't even make another one with the same nickname ;)