Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smedley: "EverQuest Next will be the world's largest sandbox-style MMO ever made"

Comments

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035
    Originally posted by sanshi44
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by sanshi44
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar

EQ was a themepark through and through.  Linear class design, every warrior was the same, every monk, every druid... Completely loot driven.  Zones catering to specific levels (yes there were some mobs in each zone that were harder but the zone itself was all approximately the same level).  Llimted crafting completely outdone by loot and of course absolutely no way to impact/shape/own the world.

EQ was a complete themepark.

What is or what isnt a themepark/sandbox all comes down to the individual, for me EQ was neither sandbox or themepark.

For me themeparks are on the rail and hold ur hand - which EQ was definetly not this is what i see as the key factor of a themepark game .

For me Sandbox allow you can influence the world itself build cities edit terrain and all that good stuff and lots of xploration and hidden things.

It just means that Everquest was one of the first Theme Park games, Sandbox game mechanics are totally different, its not really a matter of opinion, Sandbox games do not have levels, or 'classes' and neither do the mobs etc that you encounter in the wilderness.image

Arrr but sandbox uses a skil system which EQ also had aswell if you remember correctly there was a skill that lvled for every skill/spell you used. 1h sword skill the higher it was the more accurate and more dmg you did with swing, Evocation skill reduced the amount of fizzles and increased effectiveness of the spell that used the Evocation skill. Meditation skill the higher it was the faster your mana regenerated, Some were class only based skill other everyone got. EQ has alot of sandbox element but it also has alot of themepark it is a theme of its own, its neither completly sandbox and its neither a complete themepark.

This is accurate. I dont agree than you cant use a class system in a sandbox, but eq certainly has a skill based system underneath its levelling system. eq had soo much fun stuff that no one talks about. That stuff was the magic. Not the levels and not the raids. Weve seen what magic is created from levels and raids.

lets see what the other magic can do.

• pvpirlpvpirl Member UncommonPosts: 178

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Exactly, you can't have progression pve in a sandbox, its the opposite of sandbox.EQ was a themeparkEQ2 was a themeparkEQ fans love progression pve.Therefore EQN will have progression pve and will be a themepark. Although it may have some sandbox elements around crafting / housing / farming / Terra forming etc.. the very act of having the Linearality of a progression pve endgame (well endgame full stop) will make it not a sandbox.

We shall see, but I wouldn't be so quick to write it off.

Non-stanced dungeons and forced leveling via question would be enough of a step in the right direction for me to be vaguely happy.

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447
    The fact that this thread is 50 something pages long pretty much shows the interest in EQ as well as sandbox type games.

how can you tell if there interested in eq and sandboxes? :)

imageimageimageimageimageimage

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    Originally posted by koboldfodder
    The fact that this thread is 50 something pages long pretty much shows the interest in EQ as well as sandbox type games.

On this forum though, I don't know if we're a good representation of the current or potential MMO player.

• pvpirlpvpirl Member UncommonPosts: 178

I just installed and played EQ2 for the first time. The EQN team better, BETTER, forget any of those design concepts ever happened. And post luclin EQ1 frankly.

Originally posted by pvpirl

I just installed and played EQ2 for the first time. The EQN team better, BETTER, forget any of those design concepts ever happened. And post luclin EQ1 frankly.

well after having a really good look at planetside 2's systems i have this feeling that the entire eq next gameworld will have a major territory control component to it and aside of starting cities there will be no safezones in the world and the game will be FPS.  

i have this feeling that there will be frontlines for war and the teams will be as follows. The frontlines will be constant battles but behind the lines it will be relatively safe with guards and patrols.

Good                    Neutral               

Evil                 

Dwarf
    Fae
    Froglok
    Halfling
    High Elf
    Wood Elf

Barbarian
    Erudite
    Gnome
    Half Elf
    Human
    Kerra

Arasai
    Dark Elf
    Iksar
    Ogre
    Sarnak
    Troll

• WolfmeisterWolfmeister Member UncommonPosts: 50
    given the company and the person quoted, and said history in mmo.... I wouldnt give anything he said two squirts worth of recognition.

We are the Founding Fathers in this virtual world in which we create. As such it seems we must do what our Founding Fathers had to do.. in order to let our fellow gamers have a fair shake.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    I've said it before in the thread asking what dev could make a AAA sandbox and I still believe it. SOE is the most likely dev to make the next era of MMOs that return to it's sandbox origin.
  • ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

Doesnt matter if its true what you said Mr Smea...Smedley,but i give you now  this rare  Phial of Galadriel anyways,you might need it.

If you can lead MMORPG´s out of Saurons realm or help in the process even tiny bit ,then NGE never happened in my books.

Let's internet

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Rungard

I doubt Sony would launch a second rvr game, why would they want more competition, when ps2 will already have competition from gw2 & teso as a rvr game and firefall as a sci-fi fps mmo
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Rungard

I doubt Sony would launch a second rvr game, why would they want more competition, when ps2 will already have competition from gw2 & teso as a rvr game and firefall as a sci-fi fps mmo

Free assets i would imagine. Im sure theyll reuse anything thats useful since they are both made with the same engine. If its not rvr im sure it will be world pvp probabally half safe zones

have you seen those maps? each one is 64 square kilometers and there is three. Regardless of how it goes, i think we have alot of goodness coming our way.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Good take on the sandbox/themepark debate from Pyrostasis.

I watched it, he spent 2 months in UO preparing to steal everything from another person just to get back at him, that's griefing for me.

• BaselineBaseline Member Posts: 503
    Smedley is trying to redeem himself for SWG's Sandbox-to-Themepark blunder, where a great game with a great community turned into another run-of-the-mill cash grab.
  • herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Dunno  if this has been posted already but as we all suspected the failure of swtor was the main reason for soe to take a new direction in the design

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/23/sony-online-everquest-next-design/

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318
    Originally posted by rungard

well after having a really good look at planetside 2's systems i have this feeling that the entire eq next gameworld will have a major territory control component to it and aside of starting cities there will be no safezones in the world and the game will be FPS.  

i have this feeling that there will be frontlines for war and the teams will be as follows. The frontlines will be constant battles but behind the lines it will be relatively safe with guards and patrols.

Evil                 

Dwarf
    Fae
    Froglok
    Halfling
    High Elf
    Wood Elf

Barbarian
    Erudite
    Gnome
    Half Elf
    Human
    Kerra

Arasai
    Dark Elf
    Iksar
    Ogre
    Sarnak
    Troll

actually the diety based pvp server from eq1 way back would be a more logical step and it's ruleset was pretty good and already written, wouldn't be too hard to adapt it and not have to change the world and it's lore to fit some weird one race per team thing. the three teams were made up of goodies (tunare, marr, etc..), newts (agnostics, sol ro, bristlebane, etc..), and evils (cazic, inno, bertox, etc..). 

Was by far the best eq experience I ever had. didn't think they would end the server as it was the most popular pvp server by far, and the rewards for killing other players were interesting and just beginning to get creative when it was all pulled.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    SOE has a history of proclaiming their latest games are going to be the biggest/best/greatest <insert genre> ever released.  I remember he was dancing to that tune back when EQ2 was coming out, talking about how revolutionary it was going to be.  Instead, we just got "/pizza".

You make me like charity

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

In my perfect game, Smed mixes the lore and game of the EQ1 diety pvp server with the original SWG game, when we could 'bring a knife to a gunfight'.

SWG had by far the best cities, crafting, and population of any game, the wars were intense and hard fought. Put that in Norrath and I believe you have an epic game.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    SOE has a history of proclaiming their latest games are going to be the biggest/best/greatest ever released.  I remember he was dancing to that tune back when EQ2 was coming out, talking about how revolutionary it was going to be.  Instead, we just got "/pizza".

The best pizza i ever had. EQ2 is even today is an amazing game. Dwarfs every other PVE MMO in content and features.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by hercules

Dunno  if this has been posted already but as we all suspected the failure of swtor was the main reason for soe to take a new direction in the design

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/23/sony-online-everquest-next-design/

But they scrapped their work before any of those games came out... I think he's using those more as supporting evidence of his idea that themeparks(WoW clones) are done.

• NeherunNeherun Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Originally posted by nate1980

Now, I never played SWG, what was it about that game, from those that played it, that made it such a good game? such a good sandbox? What elements would you like to see in EQN?

1. Being able to build the character you wanted, since it had a skill-based system.

2. Playermade cities governed by player Mayors

3. Being able to own your own house

4. Player made economy, complete with full-time crafting professions. Almost everything you wore was player crafted. It wasn't a loot based game.

5. Clothing, lots and lots of different kinds of clothing, so you could look unique.

6. Flag yourself PvP system.

7. The community. Very helpful, and almost everyone RPed every once in a while. Image Designers, Interior Decorators, Crafters, and Entertainers all acted the way you'd expect one in their respective professions to act. Some people, encouraged by the freedom the world offered, RPed 100% of the time. 

8. Entertainers and other non-combat full-time professions. 

There's the part that made me originally unsub from SWG, /flag PvP restricts a player too much. Some of you fulltime crafters may not want it. But all the real good stuff (thievery! banditry! mercenary work! assassinations! piracy! warfare involving politics!) are out once flagged PvP happens. The world may turn into a more grim state, but a sandbox requires the option to be the villain, as there is always the bully to smash your sand castle into bits, but its up to you whether to call forth your big brother, or grab that shover and stick it up the ass of the one who broke your castle.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by rungard

Evil                 

Dwarf
    Fae
    Froglok
    Halfling
    High Elf
    Wood Elf

Barbarian
    Erudite
    Gnome
    Half Elf
    Human
    Kerra

Arasai
    Dark Elf
    Iksar
    Ogre
    Sarnak
    Troll

The original EQ PVP servers had factions: Blue: Human, Barbarian, and Erudite. Purple: Gnome, Dwarf, and Halfling. Yellow: Wood Elf, High Elf, and Half-Elf. Orange: Dark Elf, Ogre, and Troll. I think it was one too many factions, so your faction list could be interesting, but with the world of Norrath being reinvisioned, they could go farther than simply Good vs Neutral vs Evil.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    The title, hopefully that will change. EQ Next. It sounds like a cosplay clothing store and shows no creativity what so ever.
  • sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    Originally posted by Scot
    The title, hopefully that will change. EQ Next. It sounds like a cosplay clothing store and shows no creativity what so ever.

They said thats the code name of the project and not its acualy name i beleikve you will get the acualy name of the game when they show it off at the fanfair next year. They did state its just tempory name atm.

This discussion has been closed.