Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can anyone speak to the extent UW will be a "sandbox"?

Comments

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by Torgrim
    Originally posted by bunnyhopper
    Originally posted by Krashner

1. Darkfall is an open world sandbox, not an arena.

No.

Dosen't matter how many time you say it It's still big NO

Wow, that was an amazingly well thought out rebuttal....

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

Originally posted by MMOExposed

As I said in my thread. DF is a open ended THEMEPARK. There is no sand. 

And it was pointed out, over and over and over again why what you said in your thread, was incorrect. A sandbox with less sand in it than other sandboxes doesn't suddenly become a themepark.

You simply have to be trolling, which is what most of the posters must have suspected you were doing in your other thread on the matter.

Originally posted by Badaboom

I've been a fan of darkfall for many years.  I have been a voice advocating, unsuccessfully, for more sandbox elements since the development stages.  

What really needs to happen with unholy wars is hundreds of fluff things to do that have nothing to do with pvp.  Things like writing in books, learning the racial languages, chat bubbles, local banking, localized resources, pack mules, music, instruments, etc. 

Then what you left with is a world that you can immerse yourself in.  None of the things I mentioned take away from the pvp and some of them actually enhance the pvp by adding layers of depth. 

I agree.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by kaiser3282
    Originally posted by Badaboom

I've been a fan of darkfall for many years.  I have been a voice advocating, unsuccessfully, for more sandbox elements since the development stages.  

What really needs to happen with unholy wars is hundreds of fluff things to do that have nothing to do with pvp.  Things like writing in books, learning the racial languages, chat bubbles, local banking, localized resources, pack mules, music, instruments, etc. 

Then what you left with is a world that you can immerse yourself in.  None of the things I mentioned take away from the pvp and some of them actually enhance the pvp by adding layers of depth. 

While I agree with most of your post, chat bubbles in DF are a horrible idea. Imagine trying to aim at people in  a crowd as an archer while they run around spamming stuff they have macroed to keep popping up chat bubbles and block your view of others around them.

Not an issue if they are toggleable

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

As I said in my thread. DF is a open ended THEMEPARK. There is no sand. 

And it was pointed out, over and over and over again why what you said in your thread, was incorrect. A sandbox with less sand in it than other sandboxes doesn't suddenly become a themepark.

You simply have to be trolling, which is what most of the posters must have suspected you were doing in your other thread on the matter.

So what in the world would a sandbox with no sand be? 

Just a box?

Because DF1 has no sand. Calling DF1 a sandbox is like calling GW2 a sandbox. You lost your mind.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

No.

Look what UO,EVE,Ryzom,AC,Wurm,SWG have and then compare those features to Darkfall, therer is no need to explain it any futher.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

So what in the world would a sandbox with no sand be? 

Just a box?

Because DF1 has no sand. Calling DF1 a sandbox is like calling GW2 a sandbox. You lost your mind.

No sand? Think you better qualify and list "sand" for the sake of clarity eh.

But funnily enough if you are going to go down that route then yes calling it a "box" is a hell of a lot better then calling it a themepark, because doing the latter is utter lunacy.

Darkfall is a game with all the core mechanisms which point to it being a sandbox mmo. It is also a game which is nowhere near as feature rich or fleshed out as UO or EVE. So it is a sandbox which is lacking in comparison to these games.

For example, it has a non instanced housing system replete with decorating et al. And yet that housing system is nothing like as fleshed out as UO or SWG. It has a crafting system and decentralized economy, but nothing like that seen in EVE.

The core features are there, they are just not implemented as well as in other games, perhaps because it simply is not as good and also partly due to the fact pvp is more at the fore.

Sorry but it is as clear as day it is a sandbox game which is simply not as feature rich as it's sandbox peers. Calling it an arena or a themepark is just utterly ludicrous. So call it a "box" if you want, makes far more sense then some of the BS getting bandied about.

Oh and mentioning GW2 as though it is similarto DF and then questioning if someone else has lost their mind. Priceless, just as funny as the other thread banging on about it being the same as LOTRO.

No.

Look what UO,EVE,Ryzom,AC,Wurm,SWG have and then compare those features to Darkfall, therer is no need to explain it any futher.

You mean games which offered the same/similar core mechanics but where better fleshed out, amazing. Guess that must make it an arena game.. except no that's complete derp isn't it.

No.

You mean games which offered the same/similar core mechanics but where better fleshed out, amazing. Guess that must make it an arena game.. except no that's complete derp isn't it.

With that statment I know you haven't played anyone of the games I sead, nice fail there.

No.

With that statment I know you haven't played anyone of the games I sead, nice fail there.

Again another amazing rebuttal there. You could have tried to point out the core mechanics are vastly different in them, or that it wasn't an issue about them being more fleshed out.

But no, why not go for three pointless responses, you've chalked up two already anyway.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

No.

Again another amazing rebuttal there. You could have tried to point out the core mechanics are vastly different in them, or that it wasn't an issue about them being more fleshed out.

But no, why not go for three pointless responses, you've chalked up two already anyway.

Everyone has their own definition of sandbox.

I go with:

Can i build stuff where i want in the way that i want to?

Can i shape the terrain?

Is it a player ran world?

etc.

Basiclly, once it gets too far from minecraft, its not a sandbox for me.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• NacarioNacario Member UncommonPosts: 222
    You guys are getting no where, just thought Id let you know. It takes certain practice to balance ego vs humility.
    Originally posted by Toxia

Everyone has their own definition of sandbox.

I go with:

Can i build stuff where i want in the way that i want to?

Can i shape the terrain?

Is it a player ran world?

etc.

Basiclly, once it gets too far from minecraft, its not a sandbox for me.

True to an extent, but it really depends on whether you are using the word within the context of the specific genre or not. If we apply the overarching word across the entire gaming spectrum then it is questionable as to whether any mmos are actually sandboxes or not.

Within the genre though, there tends to be a general consensus as to what it means, although as is quite clearly seen here, not everyone agrees lol!

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    You can't shape the terrain in eve either.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    You can't shape the terrain in eve either.

Or fish.

No open pvp in SWG or territory control, or resource control, or player pirates, haulers, bodyguards.

Guess both of them are themeparks lulz.

• PigEyePigEye Member Posts: 78

DFO is not for the faint of heart, nor is it for the masses.

With that said, IMO DFO came closes to nirvana of any game I have ever played, tho played is not the right word... experienced is probably a far better adjective to use =p

PigEye McNasty
    DFOUW NA

No.

So you found yourself a new word "rebuttal" to fuel your argument and still you haven't posted one single thread of  straw why Darkfall is in the same sandbox classroom as SWG,EVE,UO,AC,Ryzom,Wurm.

Can you you please post why Darkfall is fit in the same classroom or are you gonna write rebuttal to all my my post? I really hope so beacuse if you do then I know Darkfall is not a sandbox game.

Just beacuse a game had FFA PVP dosen't automaticly lable it sandbox even you have to agree with this.

A true sandbox game must have an equal % of PVE and PVP, none of em can have more, in Darkfall case you have more PVP than PVE hence why it's labled PVP arena.

You can babble how much you like why Darkfall is a sandbox game when in reality it is only a PVP game with little PVE.

You can use whatever fancy words you like and twist and bend your opinion but you are still wrong in anyway.

As I sead check the other games and then come back to me and say the same thing.

But sadly I think you are one of the WoW generation and you have no clue what most of the games were in the old days and you still brickwall argument that you are right, good for you I guess, but sadly you are misstaken.

It's ridiculous to call df a sandbox
    If we take uo as the ultimate sandbox
    And swtor as the ultimate themepark

Df has way more in common with uo than it does swtor.
    Or if you take a game just in the themepark side, say daoc.
    And a game just in the sandbox side, say ac.

It still has slightly more in common with ac.
    Torgrim
    So wuurm isn't a sandbox then, it has way more pve than pvp?
  • ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

I'd like to learn more about those player-driven aspects of this game that may be considered sandbox in nature.  Crafting, adventuring, etc.  What drives this game? 

I can only tell how i played,close all chats and only followed vicinity chat and it was like DayZ goes MMORPG.

10+ adventuring experience.

Let's internet

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075
    Originally posted by Hotjazz
    Originally posted by TsaboHavo

i know the pain of having our favorite game changed "for a more broader appeal ". the problem is many sandboxers wants a fantasy EvE and see in darkfall the potential to become one.

I`m one of those sandboxer that want some security for the new players. The anarchy players was proven wrong 15 years ago in UO.

In early UO players were suppose to police themselves, but it fell flat on the face. 80 % of the playerbase were murderers, 19 % new players and 1 % was anti pks. It was no penalty for being a murderer and they could walk into any town. This showed the comunity that players can never police themselves and something had to be done. UO took a drastic approach and implementet statloss for murderers. After statloss murderers became famous and respected daredevils. They risked their char for their playstyle.

In Darkfall we just killed our alt char when we had some murdercounts. We could kill the same crafter in a capital city every 10 minutes with no penaltys at all. It was the worst alignment ever made and Darkfall was bound to fail. Murderers in darkfall don`t risk anything and got no respect as they are just the average player.

In UO we had guards to protect players in a city. They had a plutonium halberd of doom and would insta kill you the second you did anything wrong. Why any PK would complain over Darkfalls weak towers is beyond my understanding. There should be a penalty for killing new players in a newbie area, because in darkfall there is enough space to kill players without penalty.

You can kill a new players and take a murdercount or you can man up and try to kill a decent player in the lawless area. Only shit players would defend their right to kill new players as they please.

Good post and I agree. But like you say aventurine's allignment system is practically non existant, and they never committed to making it work in 3 years. I'm pretty sure they've changed their mind since the original design to be completely FFA with a bit of noob protection. Darkfall will never be about red/pk vs blue/anti, or even race vs race it will remain practically lawless, mark my words. ;(

My blog: image

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Torgrim
    So wuurm isn't a sandbox then, it has way more pve than pvp?

It has PVP but the game is not focused on it as a main feature like Darkfall is yet It is there for those who loves it.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    @ Torgrim

Darkfall is not centered around PvE but it's there for those who love it. Guess it's a sanbox after all then..?

Sorry but you inventing some random PvE vs PvP percentage qualification does not make your private definitions universal.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Biskop
    @ Torgrim

Darkfall is not centered around PvE but it's there for those who love it. Guess it's a sanbox after all then..?

Sorry but you inventing some random PvE vs PvP percentage qualification does not make your private definitions universal.

disagree, as DFO doesnt appear to have any appreciable PVE associated with it, it does however appear to be a PvP based Themepark, which does put it into a fairly narrow band of 'niche' if thats possible, one thing i would definitely not class DF;UW as though, is a sandbox game, it misses too many categories to be classed as one, nor do i think it is meant to be one.image