Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Maybe it would be a good idea to limit the number of abilities that can be used in combat?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
I was looking at the limited action bar that GW2 and TESO have. Something like that would be good for Darkfall2. Limit of 10-12 abilities.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Seems you aren't familiar with DF UW's new Role system. There are 2 new videos to watch with 2 examples of of those roles and specializations in DF UW.

The examples are Baresark and Skirmisher.  Of course thats not showing the whole picture but its enough to demonstrate that with the new roles your char is limited to 9 specials coming fom his role/specialization and probably some basic abilities that all chars have. The amount should be around 12 -15 ...

(9 specials/abilities at a time becuase it is possible to change roles in the new role system so you have acccess to other 9 abilites)

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Oh, I figured those were just skill lines that can be invested into, like how magic worked in the first game.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    I was looking at the limited action bar that GW2 and TESO have. Something like that would be good for Darkfall2. Limit of 10-12 abilities.

This is exactly what they are doing.  a player no longer has 100 skills at his desposal.  There are still tons of skills but you cant have them all active at once.

I hate and like it at the same time.

Running arround with a sword a bow and a staff at the same time having everything at you desposal really made it the game i wanted to play for 2 years long.  There were no balance issues because everyone was able to do whatever they needed.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

totally unrealistic,it is like saying "ok i have this ability,but somehow i forgot it",i can't stand any kind of give and take limitations.

I think we first need to see what this new rendition will be like,but i feel it won't be much different than the last.If you don't want a class to use a certain skill,then don't give it to them,i can't stand when games do that with bosses,make them immune to every useful skill you have.

All a developer needs to do is THINK about the game they are developing,put more than a couple hours thought into it.They should have an entire 5 years planned ahead for the direction of the game.What we saw in a rushed game like GW2 was a team that had to delay to make constant changes becuase they didn't think out their design at all.

To be frank,i kind of feel this Greek guy is a smart guy,i feel he has been limited by time and budget but is capable of designing a really good game.In saying that,i feel not much has changed,still budget constraints and time limitations,means a rushed out product.He said it himself that the players "Won't wait".

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.