Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much crowd control should be in a MMORPG?

mikecacklemikecackle Member Posts: 151

How much crowd control should be in a MMORPG? And how should it be handled?

Should every class have a stun? Should it allow being beat to death? One break cc counter per class?

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    I think that if player's reaction time and motor skills decide the outcome of the battle, then there should be no or very little crowd control because it's so irritating to suddenly become unable to play. But if the outcome is decided by strategies and choises made by players, then crowd control is good because it adds an extra layer of depth and you can still think about your next choise even if you're crowd controlled for a while.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

Well, that depends.

PvP vs PvE would be two totally different answers.

I know in PvE, I loved playing my enchanter in EQ1. Those CC's would last for upwards of a minute, but in that environment, mobs would tend to swarm and a single missed CC could easily miss a wipe. It was challenging, you didn't have much to do when the pulls were easy, but when all crap broke loose, you were the line between glorious defeat or hard-fought victory. Periods if time where all you could do was drool, but then everyone would poop themselves and there you would be, saving the day. It was fun.

Then the game changed somewhat, pulls and zones became more tame, and CC wasn't nearly as necessary (probably because only one class really specialized in it, and a couple of other classes could kinda/sorta do it depending on the circumstances).

So I would say - how much CC there ~should~ be depends on how much the environment calls for. It depends greatly on environmental design (both the world and the NPCs that populate it), and class design.

And in PvP, it's a totally different ballgame.

• mikecacklemikecackle Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

Well, that depends.

PvP vs PvE would be two totally different answers.

I know in PvE, I loved playing my enchanter in EQ1. Those CC's would last for upwards of a minute, but in that environment, mobs would tend to swarm and a single missed CC could easily miss a wipe. It was challenging, you didn't have much to do when the pulls were easy, but when all crap broke loose, you were the line between glorious defeat or hard-fought victory. Periods if time where all you could do was drool, but then everyone would poop themselves and there you would be, saving the day. It was fun.

Then the game changed somewhat, pulls and zones became more tame, and CC wasn't nearly as necessary (probably because only one class really specialized in it, and a couple of other classes could kinda/sorta do it depending on the circumstances).

So I would say - how much CC there ~should~ be depends on how much the environment calls for. It depends greatly on environmental design (both the world and the NPCs that populate it), and class design.

And in PvP, it's a totally different ballgame.

That's interesting, so with fine analysis, you're kinda saying, it's fun to STUN, but not to BE STUNNED Right? :D

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

I agree with Ridelynn the most here. The measure of spot/spec aoe's, mass debuffs (or insome instances CC by proxy with mass buffing of alied forces) needed in an MMO is not only dependant on weather your in PvP or PvE but also dependant on the end game that is indivudal (though not nescessarily unique) to the MMO you are playing.

That is really hard question to get into because it is a really broad question. CC means different things in different games. As does how effective it is and will continue to be in different situations across various games. I definately like broad question open discussion threads. It's a can-o-worms that is really fun to get into.

I will say that in general I find CC in MMO's to be either extreemly effective in PvE or exteemly effective in PvP but not both. And as a tendancy I typically minimize my use of it electing for direct damage high dps instead. In my opinion the best crowd control is taking out anemy would be crowd control.

But one thing i would like to ask the OP, is to define what they mean by crowd control (as it can mean a lot of things in a lot of different games). In Aika it is largely the realm of the night magician, doing minimal distractive over time damage acrross large areas or more massive but longer cast time damage on areas. In world of tanks it's artilerly fire in constant barrage that might not even hit anything but makes people think twice about rushing the apposing side.