Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this the "New Game Experience"

2»

Comments

• FaleshFalesh Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Originally posted by salenger

I think the new videos are showing off new features instead of showing old ones.  I am hoping the third person archery was just that, and FP will still be the default.

I think the big question is will Darkfall: Unholy wars be ready for Nove 20th?  With the current release of information and gameplay videos, many are doubting this...especially with AV's track record.

Leading up to the release of the original game they didn't post much in game content as they had the philosophy that it is good for people to find out about it as they play. They seem to be doing the same this time round so I don't think it is anything to worry about. If a delay was on the cards they wouldn't have explicitly stated a week or two ago that they were taking the servers down on the 15th to make more room for DF:UW.

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I'm intrigued by this game, on paper it sounds Like a cross between my two favourite mmos, daoc and eve.

But I worry is it a youngsters game?

Looking for a mostly UK guild of middle aged musos / smokers / old school gamers

I am playing darkfall on and off since launch, I am 21 years old and im always one of the youngest in my guild having played with guys that were also above middle age.

I dont think a 14 year old boy would be able to make many allies in a game like this and it is a very harsh world to play in if you have no allies. Im sure that a couple of months after launch the community will be ''cleaned up'' to say it in a harsh way just like it happened in darkfall 1.0

• MelkrowMelkrow Member Posts: 278

Originally posted by Flute
    Originally posted by Hairysun... The more I see of the changes they seem to be implementing, the deeper the sinking feeling I have goes.  ...
    Hate to say it, but I agree. 

There is a real risk now that Aventurine is about to repeat all the same old mistakes they made with Darkfall 1.0 - Puncture being mechanically identical to an instant cast ray spell (which were removed for balance reasons), and the other abilities seen so far being strikingly similar to "everyone is now a mage".

The irony is that if we set aside all the hype about multiple classes and diverse gameplay options, and simply assume there will be one "superpowered" unbalanced mage-like class that is simply better than all the others, the game will still be a load of fun.  Sure Aventurine may have botched their class design and failed to create diversity, but the original Darkfall 1.0 ultimately led to everyone being the same "class" (min-maxxed tank mages), so everyone being the same class won't actually be a problem.  Nor will it be an issue that everyone is a mage - they already were in Darkfall 1.0, and the game was fun when the population was large enough.

Will I buy a year subscription to this game?  Are you kidding me?  I'm going to buy a pre-paid Visa for this one now, it is getting shades of Dark'n'Light showing through, so no I am not going to take any risks at all now.  But I will play it, and even if Skirmisher really is just an Air Mage now it could be a lot of fun.  Sure everyone else might be a Skirmisher too (or whatever else the "best" class is), but hey that was what happened in Darkfall 1.0 anyway so what is the problem?

I would just like to point out...."INSTANT" part of the "ray"... and how it is VERY DIFFERENT from puncture.

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars
    Played: Darkfall, EVE, AoC, Ryzom, Ragnarok Online, GW2, PS2, Secret World, WOW, City Of Heroes/Villains, Champion Online.
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden
    Originally posted by Falesh
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

The most frightening simalirity seem me IMO to be, that both "expansions"/"patches" try to remove the existant playerbase in favor of a new one.

Also similar seems to me that the direction of the NGE and DF UW is in favor of the mainstream. a WoWification so to speak.

They are trying to remove the existing playerbase? Rubish. It is still a FFA PvP game with full loot, siege warfare and so on. The addition of the roles/schools mearly add diversity to the combat system, which is still fps aimed. Please explain how that is WoWification.

So Darkfall meant to be just a FFA full loot PvP with siege warfare ? Thats maybe the result after what AV did to it and narrowed it that much down.  Did we forgot the next-gen MMO patter of Tasos?

If that's case then there should be a oficial statement about it , that they narrowed down the game and now its a big combat arena but they repeatedly putting effort in trying to convince us that is not that case (with not very convincing statements btw).

Archery specials borrowed from "Air" magic school, visuals remembering Asian style effects,  global AH and limbo state sending a clear message about their direction IMO.

i doubt limbo will be in No one wants it. plus these changes are needed to keep a bigger population an dplus this is what alot of fans have been asking for except for the limbo state

• HotjazzHotjazz Member UncommonPosts: 742
    Originally posted by Kinchyle

So...this MMO for all "hardcore PvP kiddies" failed. Now this "update" will revive it?

ok...all two of you full loot PvP fans have found your game then huh?

(too bad the game is terrible)

Haha  yes, it had to much boring NPC killing.

I`m not kidding, I have killed 30000 NPCs in Darkfall 1, and my char isn`t done yet. How anyone can stand a game where the main goal is to kill static, boring NPCs over and over is beyond my understanding. But I guess we are different, as I don`t get any feeling of achievement from killing NPC. I have to say I felt good the first time Ragnaros in WOW died, but that was because I was done with a boring dungeon run.

To fight a real person with the risk of losing the gear I have achieved by doing boring stuff, thats something else.  When I lose, I`m punished and have to do the boring repetative stuff you find fun. So It`s not the loss of gear that scares the likes of you, it`s the shame. You will have to face the fact you`re not the almighty Legolas, but just an average player.

The moment you accept you`re just an average player like most of us, that`s when you are ready for a full-loot game like Darkfall. All you have to do when you die is fun things like killing NPCs, so Darkfall should be right up your alley.

Darkfall is a  fun, scary and adrenaline rush sandbox mmo. Sadly not many of you Legolas players dare to even try it.

• indefindef Member UncommonPosts: 344
    Originally posted by Hairysun

This reminds me so much of the SWG NGE.  We really didn't know exactly what was going on until the day of the patch. 

Suprise!

We really don't know the extent of the changes AV has done either.  The more I see of the changes they seem to be implementing, the deeper the sinking feeling I have goes.  I really am trying to keep an open mind with this.  I hope they havn't taken a step back instead of forwards.  No one wants a dumbed down version of the original Darkfall ...... or do they?

~Hairysun

I don't think that's what any of us vets who have been playing forever want... but the changes they've shown in videos will appeal to a wider audience.  The fun that darkfall is is directly related to how many people are in the game.

• indefindef Member UncommonPosts: 344
    Originally posted by Hotjazz
    Originally posted by Kinchyle

So...this MMO for all "hardcore PvP kiddies" failed. Now this "update" will revive it?

ok...all two of you full loot PvP fans have found your game then huh?

(too bad the game is terrible)

Haha  yes, it had to much boring NPC killing.

I`m not kidding, I have killed 30000 NPCs in Darkfall 1, and my char isn`t done yet. How anyone can stand a game where the main goal is to kill static, boring NPCs over and over is beyond my understanding. But I guess we are different, as I don`t get any feeling of achievement from killing NPC. I have to say I felt good the first time Ragnaros in WOW died, but that was because I was done with a boring dungeon run.

To fight a real person with the risk of losing the gear I have achieved by doing boring stuff, thats something else.  When I lose, I`m punished and have to do the boring repetative stuff you find fun. So It`s not the loss of gear that scares the likes of you, it`s the shame. You will have to face the fact you`re not the almighty Legolas, but just an average player.

The moment you accept you`re just an average player like most of us, that`s when you are ready for a full-loot game like Darkfall. All you have to do when you die is fun things like killing NPCs, so Darkfall should be right up your alley.

Darkfall is a  fun, scary and adrenaline rush sandbox mmo. Sadly not many of you Legolas players dare to even try it.

You played the game 3 years ago, not now.  I have a 100% maxxed character which I made a month ago.  I've been farming 0 times and I grinded up my character in less than a week with things my clan mates gave me.  Everything was maxxed out from doing duels.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by ShrinkGamer
    I'm intrigued by this game, on paper it sounds Like a cross between my two favourite mmos, daoc and eve.

Looking for a mostly UK guild of middle aged musos / smokers / old school gamers

In no way is this a game for kiddies. Full loot pvp is just one of the reasons why kids shouldnt play.

Huh? Runescape had that as well. What you talking about?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

I dont think this game has anything in common with the core gameplay of DAOC just a couple features.