Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dissapointed in GW2 - Leaving GW2 - Not what I expected !

Comments

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by halflife25
    Originally posted by Vhaln
    Originally posted by Creslin321

Valid opinion:  I don't like baseball, I think it is boring to watch.

Stupid opinion:  baseball is not a sport.

you know, I remember that there used to be a time where people could actually be WRONG.  But now apparently, we have to respect evreryone's opinion regardless of how delusional those opinions are.

How many versions of baseball are there? and how many times baseball has changed its rules and evolved with new editions over the year?  not a valid comparison now is it? 

More valid compairons would be that GW2 is a video game or not. MMO is a term to define the genre of games like GW2 which is not the same.

In that metaphor, the parallel question would be, how many sports are there?  How many different versions of sports?

Vhaln your metaphors are stupid.

*just keeping it in with theme of the topic*

It's not my metaphor, it's Creslins.  Geez man, pay attention :p

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• PoporiPopori Member UncommonPosts: 334
    Originally posted by Vhaln

you know, I remember that there used to be a time where people could actually be WRONG.  But now apparently, we have to respect evreryone's opinion regardless of how delusional those opinions are.

How many versions of baseball are there? and how many times baseball has changed its rules and evolved with new editions over the year?  not a valid comparison now is it? 

More valid compairons would be that GW2 is a video game or not. MMO is a term to define the genre of games like GW2 which is not the same.

In that metaphor, the parallel question would be, how many sports are there?  How many different versions of sports?

Vhaln your metaphors are stupid.

*just keeping it in with theme of the topic*

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Yes, you should try ;).

Anyway, I suppose there was a time when I actually contributed useful things to this site way back when.  But now I recognize it for what it is and that time has passed lol.

also, isn't your calling out of my opinion that his opinion is stupid, basically the same thing I did ;)?

No;;;i am simply disagreeing with your way of dealing with people who might have different interpretation of terms MMO. I don't think even remotely implied that your opinion is stupid. I just don't feel there are any absolutes or my interpretation is the only right one when it comes to MMOS.

seriously though I have been playing RPGs for over 20 years calling GW2 not an RPG is ridiculous and saying it's not an MMO is equally ridiculous.. i could go around saying GW2 has more sandbox elements than themepark but that statement doesn't make me look any less stupid even if it is just my opinion

I thought we just got over this on alst page? anyways...

Only day i will start calling other people stupid for having a different opinion is when i am completely full of myself. But since i am not, i respect others opinions as much i expect them to respect mine.

Now if someone is twisting facts is another matter.  Look at the new title Star Citizen for example. The whole MMO term is evoloving with every new title so much that the creator doesn't want to confine his game into any limitations of one definition.

So your 20 years of experince playing  RPG got nothign to do with interpretation of the term MMO. Which is not absolute and never was.

You are comparing apples and oranges here.

I never said I didn't like GW2; in fact, I like it.

I just consider it a different type of MMO than you do.  The difference here is that you are calling me stupid for it.

[mod edit]

I am arguing that GW2 fits into a subcategory of MMOs...Much like the term "sandbox" and "themepark" do.   If we didn't use those terms, someone who bought SWTOR thinking it would be like SWG would be gravely disappointed.

A lot of people have posted on these boards they went into GW2 expecting something different...ie more of an MMORPG feel.  Look around.  People have posted they find it "shallow", "MMO-lite", "lacking progression", etc.  So I am not alone in this.

Maybe, just maybe all of us could come to some sort of agreement that these games are in fact different and maybe going in with the expectations of an MMORPG only to encounter a MMOCRPG could be avoided in future.

The developers may not want to use these terms yet, but it doesn't mean that it isn't true.

Originally posted by Ginaz
    Nice to see the usual suspects of the GW2 White Knight Brigade out in full force...yet again  And this game WAS heavily, heavily hyped by the fans and the developers for quite some time before release.  Anyone that posted concerns or critisms were beaten down.

And apparently, unless you were one of the original White Knights, it's still unacceptable to criticize this game in any way.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Nice to see the usual suspects of the GW2 White Knight Brigade out in full force...yet again  And this game WAS heavily, heavily hyped by the fans and the developers for quite some time before release.  Anyone that posted concerns or critisms were beaten down.

And apparently, unless you were one of the original White Knights, it's still unacceptable to criticize this game in any way.

I don't think SPOCK is still in their 'circle of trust'. He got the boot.

Poor chap ;(

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Yes, you should try ;).

Anyway, I suppose there was a time when I actually contributed useful things to this site way back when.  But now I recognize it for what it is and that time has passed lol.

also, isn't your calling out of my opinion that his opinion is stupid, basically the same thing I did ;)?

No;;;i am simply disagreeing with your way of dealing with people who might have different interpretation of terms MMO. I don't think even remotely implied that your opinion is stupid. I just don't feel there are any absolutes or my interpretation is the only right one when it comes to MMOS.

seriously though I have been playing RPGs for over 20 years calling GW2 not an RPG is ridiculous and saying it's not an MMO is equally ridiculous.. i could go around saying GW2 has more sandbox elements than themepark but that statement doesn't make me look any less stupid even if it is just my opinion

Only day i will start calling other people stupid for having a different opinion is when i am completely full of myself. But since i am not, i respect others opinions as much i expect them to respect mine.

Now if someone is twisting facts is another matter.  Look at the new title Star Citizen for example. The whole MMO term is evoloving with every new title so much that the creator doesn't want to confine his game into any limitations of one definition.

So your 20 years of experince playing  RPG got nothign to do with interpretation of the term MMO. Which is not absolute and never was.

I just consider it a different type of MMO than you do.  The difference here is that you are calling me stupid for it.

I'm actually calling your opinion stupid ;).

i also don't care if you like or dislike gw2...I'm arguing with you because you are trying reject the classification of a game that everyone agrees on just to make some kind of point.  This does nothing but cause confusion, and I always thought it was a really sily thing to do.  This is just like the people who swear that skyrim isn't a sandbox.

I am arguing that GW2 fits into a subcategory of MMOs...Much like the term "sandbox" and "themepark" do.   If we didn't use those terms, someone who bought SWTOR thinking it would be like SWG would be gravely disappointed.

A lot of people have posted on these boards they went into GW2 expecting something different...ie more of an MMORPG feel.  Look around.  People have posted they find it "shallow", "MMO-lite", "lacking progression", etc.  So I am not alone in this.

Maybe, just maybe all of us could come to some sort of agreement that these games are in fact different and maybe going in with the expectations of an MMORPG only to encounter a MMOCRPG could be avoided in future.

The developers may not want to use these terms yet, but it doesn't mean that it isn't true.

Massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) is a genre of role-playing video games in which a very large number of players interact with one another within avirtual game world.

As in all RPGs, players assume the role of a character (often in a fantasy world) and take control over many of that character's actions. MMORPGs are distinguished from single-player or small multi-player RPGs by the number of players, and by the game's persistent world (usually hosted by the game's publisher), which continues to exist and evolve while the player is offline and away from the game.

From:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massively_multiplayer_online_role-playing_game

Sure sounds like gw2 to me.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Side A:  Apparently it's wrong to criticize this game in any way.

Side B:  Apparently it's wrong to defend this game in any way.

I'm taking Side C and saying both sides are silly geese.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

Massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) is a genre of role-playing video games in which a very large number of players interact with one another within avirtual game world.

As in all RPGs, players assume the role of a character (often in a fantasy world) and take control over many of that character's actions. MMORPGs are distinguished from single-player or small multi-player RPGs by the number of players, and by the game's persistent world (usually hosted by the game's publisher), which continues to exist and evolve while the player is offline and away from the game.

From:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Massively_multiplayer_online_role-playing_game

Damn he quoted wikipedia. Abondon thread now... it is over.

*runs  in circle screaming*

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I don't think SPOCK is still in their 'circle of trust'. He got the boot.

Poor chap ;(

Yeah we jump on everyone for their extremely rational statements like GW2 is not an MMORPG lol.

honestly, my arguing in this thread has very little to do with GW2 and everything to do with an absolutely absurd claim that just needs to get put in its place.  I would do the same thing if someone said that WoW was literally not an MMORPG.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Yes, you should try ;).

i also don't care if you like or dislike gw2...I'm arguing with you because you are trying reject the classification of a game that everyone agrees on just to make some kind of point.  This does nothing but cause confusion, and I always thought it was a really sily thing to do.  This is just like the people who swear that skyrim isn't a sandbox.

Sorry, but I laugh when people use wikipedia to cite information.  You do know it's a contributive website, not some sort of authority, right?

Oxford Dictionary:

Themepark: an amusement park with a unifying setting or idea.

Sandbox:

noun

• historical a perforated container for sprinkling sand on to wet ink in order to dry it.

• Computing a virtual space in which new or untested software or coding can be run securely.

2 (also sandbox tree) a tropical American tree whose seed cases were formerly used to hold sand for blotting ink.

Wow, those don't sound like Skyrim or SWTOR to me!  My gosh we all must be wrong!

This is an evolving genre...names/terms/phrases are being created/altered all the time to apply to these games.

Yes, you should try ;).

Sounds like Battlefield 3 to me, I always make a medic from brooklyn that suffers from chronic back pains and homesickness.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

So in short. It maybe didnt live to everyones expectations

It all depends on whether you blame yourself, or everything else in the world, for managing your expectations?

Agreed.

But but but....I was just a victim to magical hype train!  I couldn't do nothing I tells yah!

I remember a few months ago, YOU and many others, but MAINLY YOU, we're saying GW2 HAS NO HYPE!

So which is it?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Jimmydean

It all depends on whether you blame yourself, or everything else in the world, for managing your expectations?

Agreed.

But but but....I was just a victim to magical hype train!  I couldn't do nothing I tells yah!

Or, ya know, if you were expecting an MMORPG from a title labeled as MMORPG.

Oh I see, see I was under the impression that an MMORPG  was a persistent rpg world that is shared by a large amount of players.  Pretty sure GW2 fits this definition to the T.

can you please argue your point of why gw2 is not an MMORPG?

It's more of an MMOAAG (Massively Multiplayer Online Action Adventure Game) than an MMORPG.  I mean, even SOE isn't labeling Planetside 2 as an MMORPG, but rather an MMOFPS.  There's a reason why we label things differently, so we can see what they are beforehand.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Agreed.

I remember a few months ago, YOU and many others, but MAINLY YOU, we're saying GW2 HAS NO HYPE!

So which is it?

Sarcasm detector broken?

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

Originally posted by Vorthanion

Agreed.

Oh I see, see I was under the impression that an MMORPG  was a persistent rpg world that is shared by a large amount of players.  Pretty sure GW2 fits this definition to the T.

It's more of an MMOAAG (Massively Multiplayer Online Action Adventure Game) than an MMORPG.  I mean, even SOE isn't labeling Planetside 2 as an MMORPG, but rather an MMOFPS.  There's a reason why we label things differently, so we can see what they are beforehand.

See! I'm not alone.

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    Not sure what people were expecting.  Anet has always been pretty straight forward with what they were delivering.  There should be no surprises.  It's an instant thrills, no carrot-on-a-stick, no traditional holy-trinity MMO.  It's a game you can come and go as you please with no commitment.  As I've said before, GW2 is the f**k-buddy of MMOs.  Obviously it's not going to please more traditional MMOers.  If players want Evercrack or World of Warcrack then it's not the game for you.  Personally, I'm stilling enjoying the game as much as I did during BW1.  Good news is I can still play any new MMO in addition guilt-free since there is no sub. 
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315
    How can you play a game for 300 hours and be dissapointed? Sounds a lot like burn out. Usually if I dislike a game i only need a couple of hours to know
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726

Agreed.

That's still not really accurate.  GW2 is still stat and chance based combat like a RPG.  Also has no-aim tab targeting.  The only "action" is the dodge mechanic. 

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • thetimesthetimes Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by funyahns
    How can you play a game for 300 hours and be dissapointed? Sounds a lot like burn out. Usually if I dislike a game i only need a couple of hours to know

300 hours for a console game is great. 300 hours for a mmorpg isn't that good.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by achesoma

Agreed.

That's still not really accurate.  GW2 is still stat and chance based combat like a RPG.  Also has no-aim tab targeting.  The only "action" is the dodge mechanic. 

Yeah, I don't know how people can say its NOT an rpg.  It is pretty light on the rpg elements but so is Diablo 3 and yet its referred to as an rpg.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by funyahns

Yep me too. Login and see right away that it's going to be really really bad. That was my experience with SWTOR right off the bet. played it for 8 total game hours.

Didn't bother with TSW.

GW2 has pleanty to do for me. People keep saying what's the point, well what's the point of the gear treadmill games you know the ones with subs? get gear to go to dungeons, get gear to go to raids, get gear to go to hard raids....rince and repeat. At least GW2 actually gives you the ability to get decent gear from crafting outside the dungeon system. :P

And I get to see the lore without having to follow the elitist jerks cookie cutter crap.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by CallsignVega
    Originally posted by fundayz

Agreed.

[mod edit]

Massively multiplayer? Check

Online? Check

RPG? Check

Sooooo please explain how GW2 is NOT an MMORPG.

It's prefectly fine to say "I didn't like GW2, it doesn't have the things I look for in  an MMO", but to make the claim that GW2 is not an MMORPG is simply absurd.

You could play GW2 by yourself, there isn't anything massively multiplayer about it. The amount of crappy instances in the game is mind-boggling. Guilds mean nothing and are chat rooms, and group encounters can be doneby random people running into each other not saying a word. Yawn. 

By that definition pretty much every game on this site is not a MMO.  I honestly cant think of a single game where you couldnt solo. 

What do other games do with guilds other than give you a chat room and a few buffs? I mean, EQ2 has guild halls I suppose, but at the end of the day its just a convenience hub, which GW2 doesnt need due to its design.

My guild is very active and runs dungeons and WvW, isnt that what guilds are for? Are they meant to do something else, like turn into Voltron?

I keep reading these same two comments, but there really is no substance to them. All I see is people who need to be told how to have fun in a game.

Originally posted by achesoma

Agreed.

Actually you're not accurate, all of the dodging doesn't occur 100% from the dodge mechanic, you can straffe and get that effect, you can hide behind object and the mobs have to get to you etc heck i've even dove off a cliff and into water to give the mobs a harder time how is that not action?. Still haven't argued the point. It's an RPG because it follows the midieval model of an adventuring system, it's an mmo because of how it handles large numbers of people online playing together. how is it not an mmorpg again?

Let me just ask you : What did you expect ?

Absolutely nothing more then what i got, literally everything they said would be in it was in it. The only thing they haven't done was the outside the game apps. I would so love those right now.

So even if you are leaving you will probably be back.

Peace out ;)

That is so true. The very people complaining will most likely be back at some point. 

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I bought the game in hopes of world class WvW.On a grade  of 1-10...10 being the highest. I'd give WvW a # 5.

I love to craft but found this games crafting like an unending tooth ache.Simply NOT FUN. Simply NOT WORTH the effort. a #3

I don't play games to pve.Pve to me, is a means to a faction vs faction conflict end.I found pve to be startelingly fun and would grade it a 9.

My highest level character is 75.I will continue to push to 80...and hope the game gets better.If I were paying a subscription ......I WOULD NOT BE PLAYING NOW.