Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to make GW2 look more crisp, colorful and vibrant.

halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

For those who don't visit official forums often or missed the topic here is the link...

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/better-colour-overall-graphic-FXAA

However, it will be better to tweak your own settings to get the desired effect. The original settings were a little too dark for me.

The difference is night and day and i can never go back to the old washed out look of GW2 again.

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    i was using a SMAA injector at launch but mumble didn't work with it.. ill see if I have any luck with this

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• maddbomber83maddbomber83 Member Posts: 422

Doesn't work with Windows 8.

I was using SweetFX and it does make the game look much much better (with your own custom settings).

Will be nice when we can get this in the new OS too.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795

A lot of people are using this in Skyrim and I always felt it completely killed the mood of the game. Everything became so colourful and oversaturated. But since GW2 has different colour pallette it might work better.

Edit. Hmm I tried it today. I turned on only a few options. I didn't want to change the colours too much. I turned off blood in game and the game looks very crisp wtih smaa and small sharpen effect. Quite cool tbh. I will upload some screenshots later.

Edit 2.

image I only increased sharpness a little bit + SMAA + a tiny bit of vibrancy increase. I don't like changing the colours of the game. I prefer to stick to devs intentions but I wanted a crisper image. I like the results so far and my performance doesn't suffer.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    I have been testing this a lot and it would be acrime to play without Sweetfx. It makes color so rich and night actually look like nights. The lighting and everything looks top notch.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by halflife25
    and night actually look like nights.

Oh no, not the darkity-dark black demon in a dark cave at midnight effect again...?

My least favorite of the 'briefly popular in games' graphical trends...90s?  When you had to crank the gamma on every game just to see anything.

It got worse.  Over-Bloom-o-rama was next...heh.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by halflife25
    and night actually look like nights.

Oh no, not the darkity-dark black demon in a dark cave at midnight effect again...?

My least favorite of the 'briefly popular in games' graphical trends...90s?  When you had to crank the gamma on every game just to see anything.

It got worse.  Over-Bloom-o-rama was next...heh.

Nope not that dark, but when it is night the effects should be seen on surroundings too. Without this mod the night time doesn't effefct the torches and other source of lightings or night shadows that much. But with some tweakks in settings it really  makes the night time they way it should be. it has nothing to do with making it so dark that you feel like a blind person trying to find your way out of the dark room.

Wortha  try if you don't like it all it takes is press of 'scroll' key to switch it off.

The thing is, everything is adjustable.

You don't want to just turn on bloom and HDR, you want to adjust the values until they match your preference.

I like toggleing it a bunch while changing settings.  My goal is to improve the image while keeping it close to what the developers made.

Sharpen, a lot.

Saturation, up a bit.

Bloom / HDR balanced so that the overall brightness of the image is the same but 'pops' more.

Using the UI in game as a guide, you can really get the colors just right.  The end goal is this:

Having someone who did not see you edit the game at all sit down and you tell them you edited the game, and they say "It doesn't look any different" and then you toggle the mod off and they say "Wow, it looks much better the way you edited it".

• tv2zulutv2zulu Member UncommonPosts: 73

Thanks for this, I'll try it out :)

I'm not fond of the single post-processing option ingame, but I dooOOooO like me some eye-candy :D

Hey guys is there specific software that shouldn't be running for htis to work. I ask this because I have a couple of guildmates that have high end PCs with gtx 670s and the game just wont launch once sweetfx is all setup, for me it works fine, and I am running a 580gtx, this is also a problem with some of the users in the guild that use 460s and 560s.

Maybe some settings might need to be turned off in nvidia cp. hope someone is able to help.

Thanks in advance.

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Does anyone have any side by side or before and after pics?  I can't tell any difference with just one picture.  

Carl Sagan-

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348
    When I try this, GW2 crashes on startup. And yes, I do follow the very simple instructions of 'copy all to the folder containing the exe'.

YOu are not the only one like I posted above many of my guildmates are crashing also.

Carl Sagan-

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Originally posted by Fion
    When I try this, GW2 crashes on startup. And yes, I do follow the very simple instructions of 'copy all to the folder containing the exe'.

Right click your GW2 icon and select "run as administrator" . This cleared up my crashing issues.

• Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

Just downloaded and tried it....

It does look a lot better with it ! Can anyone share their setting with some screenshoot?

I don´t really know how to adjust values & it looks a little dark by dafault!

TY for the tip halflife25:)

BEFORE                                                                   AFTER

image                       image

Another pic showing great coloring!

• chopgrchopgr Member Posts: 179

i gave sweet/ injector a shot and the vibrance in colors was nice. 

But i removed it because it killed my FPS.

i5 @ 4k + gtx580

http://www.youtube.com/user/chopgr?feature=mhee

"The Heavens burned, the stars
    cried out
    And under the ashes of infinity,
    Hope, scarred and bleeding,
    breathed its last."

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,795

here are a few mine:

stil only a small changes like vibrancy, sharpen, aa.

imageimage

I still say the best way to work this is for someone to sit down at your comp and you say, hey! look what I did!

They then say, I don't see anything different....

Then you turn it off and they go wow, turn that back on!

With that said, below is a link to 4 videos that show it off a bit on my prefered settings.  No noticable hit to frame rate.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvWvNhHN__dXMwRLXMkqZEAHxtMa6ybmU

• BlessingsBlessings Member Posts: 66

Checked out your videos. So this tweeker or whatever, it actually makes the game looks worse. It does make everything "pop" like you say, but from what Ive seen, all its doing is making it darker, and the colors stand out more.

Its like taking a painting, and redoing it with a marker. Idk how you can like playing like that.

• tv2zulutv2zulu Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Originally posted by Blessings

Checked out your videos. So this tweeker or whatever, it actually makes the game looks worse. It does make everything "pop" like you say, but from what Ive seen, all its doing is making it darker, and the colors stand out more.

Its like taking a painting, and redoing it with a marker. Idk how you can like playing like that.

You adjust the settings yourself ;)

I do agree that mad's settings lose a bit too much detail in the dark areas and have just a tiny bit too much saturation. Personal preference tho, and depends on the individuals monitor calibration.

This tweaker does only what you want it to do; It is totally up to the players and there are some great setting without saturation and darkness. This mod is not something that you can get acquainted with in just a day. There are so many options that it is mind boggling.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722

I have to agree that I don't think it makes it look better. I used to work with video editing a lot and there are tools like this as well for that. In the end I always went with a minimum of filters, because it never looked right. From the screenshots and videos I already find it to oversharpen things. Those videos are even worse and really not a good advertisement for the product. The videos have a great amount of detail lost.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    I agree with the others who say it doesn't make the game look better.