Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dissapointed in GW2 - Leaving GW2 - Not what I expected !

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Popori

But who is the real victor in all this?

The next generation of fanboy/hater, of course.

See ya'll in the Next Big Thing forum, whatever that is.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by halflife25
    Originally posted by Creslin321
    Yes, you should try ;).

Anyway, I suppose there was a time when I actually contributed useful things to this site way back when.  But now I recognize it for what it is and that time has passed lol.

also, isn't your calling out of my opinion that his opinion is stupid, basically the same thing I did ;)?

No;;;i am simply disagreeing with your way of dealing with people who might have different interpretation of terms MMO. I don't think even remotely implied that your opinion is stupid. I just don't feel there are any absolutes or my interpretation is the only right one when it comes to MMOS.

[mod edit]

I thought we just got over this on alst page? anyways...

Only day i will start calling other people stupid for having a different opinion is when i am completely full of myself. But since i am not, i respect others opinions as much i expect them to respect mine.

Now if someone is twisting facts is another matter.  Look at the new title Star Citizen for example. The whole MMO term is evoloving with every new title so much that the creator doesn't want to confine his game into any limitations of one definition.

So your 20 years of experince playing  RPG got nothign to do with interpretation of the term MMO. Which is not absolute and never was.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Nadia

Definition of what is MMORPG is not set in stone. In my opinion GW2 is a MMO but i certainly won't call others stupid because they think differently. GW2 is a MMO is not some scientificaly proven fact and the whole MMO term is open to interpretation because it is ever evolving.

i agree but Grimal also claimed ANET marketed GW1 as a mmo

ive only seen players (not anet) make that claim

ANET always described GW1 as a CORPG - Competitive Online RPG

Really?  My boxed copy of GW1 that I bought on the day of release says nothing about Competitive Online RPG.  I think the words massive or massively exist on it (I'd have to look back) but nowhere does it say that.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Icewhite

I am guessing TESO will be "the one" now the marketing has kicked in to counteract people's concerns about its design.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    Yes, you should try ;).

Anyway, I suppose there was a time when I actually contributed useful things to this site way back when.  But now I recognize it for what it is and that time has passed lol.

also, isn't your calling out of my opinion that his opinion is stupid, basically the same thing I did ;)?

No;;;i am simply disagreeing with your way of dealing with people who might have different interpretation of terms MMO. I don't think even remotely implied that your opinion is stupid. I just don't feel there are any absolutes or my interpretation is the only right one when it comes to MMOS.

[mod edit]

Amazing but true.....

Take away the Raiding & Trinity and you have a "new Genre" !!!      hahahahaha

Crazy.... I guess some are TOO used to that mechanic thay cannot conceive a MMORPG without that!

Does it have raids? No. Does it have Tanks & heals? Not at all....

Then it must not be a MMorpg..... some seems to think...

So, "painted myself into a corner, no escape" then?

Lol..no but that wasn't a serious psot now was it? hahah!!

Originally posted by RefMinor

I am guessing TESO will be "the one" now the marketing has kicked in to counteract people's concerns about its design.

Aw, and I was counting on Smedley. Ah well.

Let me order my TESO hat.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• PoporiPopori Member UncommonPosts: 334

I agree, it will be as stupid of a pot vs. kettle battle as GW2.  Though, I suspect the initial topics will be

"TESO (is/isn't) really part of TES universe, here's why!"

Originally posted by Vhaln
    Originally posted by grimal

ANET did market GW1 as an MMO originally  Hell, I remember coming to this site at the time and everyone here said it was an MMO.

You remember wrong.  On both counts.

You know, these days, you can dig up all sorts of old stuff. Forum posts, press releases, really almost anything you could possibly be referring to.  So.. I wonder if you could find even a single example?

See my post above.  I can scan box if that would suffice and post it later this evening or tomorrow morning.  Again, this is an original first day of release box.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Yes, you should try ;).

seriously though I have been playing RPGs for over 20 years calling GW2 not an RPG is ridiculous and saying it's not an MMO is equally ridiculous.. i could go around saying GW2 has more sandbox elements than themepark but that statement doesn't make me look any less stupid even if it is just my opinion

Only day i will start calling other people stupid for having a different opinion is when i am completely full of myself. But since i am not, i respect others opinions as much i expect them to respect mine.

Now if someone is twisting facts is another matter.  Look at the new title Star Citizen for example. The whole MMO term is evoloving with every new title so much that the creator doesn't want to confine his game into any limitations of one definition.

So your 20 years of experince playing  RPG got nothign to do with interpretation of the term MMO. Which is not absolute and never was.

Valid opinion:  I don't like baseball, I think it is boring to watch.

Stupid opinion:  baseball is not a sport.

you know, I remember that there used to be a time where people could actually be WRONG.  But now apparently, we have to respect evreryone's opinion regardless of how delusional those opinions are.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

I agree, it will be as stupid of a pot vs. kettle battle as GW2.  Though, I suspect the initial topics will be

It's not REALLY an MMO, or even a computer game!

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

My expectations were never that high.  I expected a decent MMORPG, and its lived up to that, no question.  

I'd *hoped* for a great MMORPG, and in that.. it really needs more longevity, more depth and variety of content, more to do at the level cap that isn't totally pointless.  I still think ArenaNet can build it into something like that, but from what I can tell, that's not even the direction they're taking it in.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

It's not REALLY an MMO, or even a computer game!

Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad

Aw, and I was counting on Smedley. Ah well.

Let me order my TESO hat.

The marketing campaign hasn't started for EQN yet, I imagine that will get very fraught as the meaning of Smed's term "sandbox style game" gets revealed.

Yes, you should try ;).

seriously though I have been playing RPGs for over 20 years calling GW2 not an RPG is ridiculous and saying it's not an MMO is equally ridiculous.. i could go around saying GW2 has more sandbox elements than themepark but that statement doesn't make me look any less stupid even if it is just my opinion

you know, I remember that there used to be a time where people could actually be WRONG.  But now apparently, we have to respect evreryone's opinion regardless of how delusional those opinions are.

You are comparing apples and oranges here.

I never said I didn't like GW2; in fact, I like it.

I just consider it a different type of MMO than you do.  The difference here is that you are calling me stupid for it.

How many versions of baseball are there? and how many times baseball has changed its rules and evolved with new editions over the year?  not a valid comparison now is it? 

More valid compairons would be that GW2 is a video game or not. MMO is a term to define the genre of games like GW2 which is not the same.

I still think ArenaNet can build it into something like that, but from what I can tell, that's not even the direction they're taking it in.

otoh--how often can you accurately predict a dev team's future from 60 days?  Seriously?

How many versions of baseball are there? and how many times baseball has changed its rules and evolved with new editions over the year?  not a valid comparison now is it? 

More valid compairons would be that GW2 is a video game or not. MMO is a term to define the genre of games like GW2 which is not the same.

It was originally the English game of Rounders so at least once.

I still think ArenaNet can build it into something like that, but from what I can tell, that's not even the direction they're taking it in.

otoh--how often can you accurately predict a dev team's future from 60 days?  Seriously?

"From what I can tell," meaning.. yeah, I can't tell, but just from dev posts, and the nature of the changes and additions they've been making, I can take an educated guess.  Might be way off, but just saying, from what I can tell.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

I'm dictating that everyone must have this playing in the background when reading these silly threads:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A3j0zWpTs0

I think it really captures the thread's energy.

I'm dictating that everyone must have this playing in the background when reading these silly threads:

I play that all the time while reading these forums. Because there is no such thing as non-silly thread on mmorpg.com ;)

Not Samwell?  Disappointed, am I.

In that metaphor, the parallel question would be, how many sports are there?  How many different versions of sports?

In that metaphor, the parallel question would be, how many sports are there?  How many different versions of sports?

Vhaln your metaphors are stupid.

*just keeping it in with theme of the topic*

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Nice to see the usual suspects of the GW2 White Knight Brigade out in full force...yet again.  And this game WAS heavily, heavily hyped by the fans and the developers for quite some time before release.  Anyone that posted concerns or critisms were beaten down.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.