Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dissapointed in GW2 - Leaving GW2 - Not what I expected !

Comments

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by grimal

"GW2 isn't an MMORPG" is my favorite criticism of the game.  Sadly, some people think it's going to stick...

Maybe it's not what you wanted, but it's still an MMORPG.  Don't be obtuse.

Similar to when people said GW1 wasn't an MMORPG back when it released.

No it isn't.  GW1 was not massively anything, it was a completely instanced based game.  That's why they said it wasn't an MMO.  Because it wasn't.

Read my post again, it applies to you.

Back when GW1 launched, there was the exact same debate.  It wasn't until a long time after that the arguing stopped and it was seen as a COOP game.

Just because this site, ANET, you and others want to consider this a true MMORPG does not mean I have to.  Will it be looked upon the same way in five years as it is now?  Not so sure.  Time will tell.  But in the past two months the opinion of this game by the masses has changed drastically. 

Actually, you're off the mark there.  ANet marketed GW1 as a CORPG.  Not the players.  GW2's definition is not likely to change either, try as very, very few of you might.

It's not a crime to be wrong, but your comparison is flawed at its base.  Don't use GW1 as an example ever again.

ANET did market GW1 as an MMO originally  Hell, I remember coming to this site at the time and everyone here said it was an MMO.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

So knowing the differences between the two games in the series... what is GW2 if not an MMO?  This should be good.  I bet if I asked that in a poll, I'd get a dozen different answers.

So knowing the differences between the two games in the series... what is GW2 if not an MMO?  This should be good.  I bet if I asked that in a poll, I'd get a dozen different answers.

Depends if you had paid ANET marketers answering said poll.

Personally, I consider it an MMOAG...Massively Multiplayer Online Action Game.

No straight answer?  I'm shocked.  Anyway, enough with the topic hijacking.  GW2 is an MMORPG, but you're more than welcome to think it isn't along with half a dozen other people.

EDIT: You edited, so so will I.  MMOAG is "fair" but there is still the idea that there is a role playing element present in the game.  Action games don't necessarily have that feature.

No straight answer?  I'm shocked.  Anyway, enough with the topic hijacking.  GW2 is an MMORPG, but you're more than welcome to think it isn't along with half a dozen other people.

EDIT: You edited, so so will I.  MMOAG is "fair" but there is still the idea that there is a role playing element present in the game.  Action games don't necessarily have that feature.

I answered in my edit and thank you for allowing me my thoughts to be dictated by me and not someone else.

Edit (lol, btw): True, there are some RPG elements, but they are light enough for me to still consider it an MMOAG at this time.  Now, if they make changes, it could push it over to the MMORPG category for me.

I answered in my edit.

I edited in my answer of my .. edit.  Well you did say we don't agree yesterday.  I don't think you're a fool for believing a certain way, I guess I just don't understand.  Back to the thread, ladies and gents.

I answered in my edit.

I edited in my answer of my .. edit.  Well you did say we don't agree yesterday.  I don't think you're a fool for believing a certain way, I guess I just don't understand.  Back to the thread, ladies and gents.

Thanks.

Back to the OP.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

I was having fun with GW2, farting around here and there, not really having any direction - and that was fine with me.  Then came the announcement that Darkfall Unholy Wars was due out in November, and I suddenly lost interest in GW2.  The two games are fairly different, and the anticipation of the new DF kinda dulled GW2 for me.

Not a bad game by any means, just not much fun for me any more.  I've given my account to my sister in law, so I, for one, won't be back.  I've jumped enough in that game to need a couple of knee replacements.

Originally posted by Creslin321

"GW2 isn't an MMORPG" is my favorite criticism of the game.  Sadly, some people think it's going to stick...

No it isn't.  GW1 was not massively anything, it was a completely instanced based game.  That's why they said it wasn't an MMO.  Because it wasn't.

Back when GW1 launched, there was the exact same debate.  It wasn't until a long time after that the arguing stopped and it was seen as a COOP game.

Just because this site, ANET, you and others want to consider this a true MMORPG does not mean I have to.  Will it be looked upon the same way in five years as it is now?  Not so sure.  Time will tell.  But in the past two months popular opinion of this game has changed drastically. 

It's a free Internet, you can believe what you want.  Doesn't make it any less stupid lol :).

I think the genre has been around long enough that it has spawned several subgenres.

MMO - Parent

MMORPG - Child

MMOAG - Child

MMOCRPG (C stands for Coop) - Child

So before calling something stupid, maybe try to understand what they are saying?

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    Originally posted by jdlamson75

I was having fun with GW2, farting around here and there, not really having any direction - and that was fine with me.  Then came the announcement that Darkfall Unholy Wars was due out in November, and I suddenly lost interest in GW2.  The two games are fairly different, and the anticipation of the new DF kinda dulled GW2 for me.

Not a bad game by any means, just not much fun for me any more.  I've given my account to my sister in law, so I, for one, won't be back.  I've jumped enough in that game to need a couple of knee replacements.

After seeing some of the vids for Darkfall, to have any anticipation for it just goes to show how different people think.

Here is what I see in gw2.

A game where you have different races. Not humans with different colored skin, but characters that move, look, even fight differently than each other.

The animation and sounds blend in a way that I have seen in very few mmo's. You use fire to kill a guy and he burns to death. A dead spider curls up on its back. When you hit something it looks and sounds like you hit it.

Up until Orr you can explore the world pretty easily and there are reason to do so, unlike some games where you end up having tons of mobs follow you around half the map or worse run faster than you.

Weapons, skills, and traits can completely change how a class fights.

How many mmos can you name where you can fight and explore underwater and have under water weapons?

If you are tired of fighting you can go do jumping quests or just look around.

Anet didn't just make a game, sell it then start working on an expansion. They are giving you free content.  They work on fixes and are updating the game all without a sub. What mmo does that? Many new single player games are asking for money for new weapons or a little extra content etc.

The value for the money for this game is stunning. The detail.  The commitment shown to this game rivals or tops any mmo made in recent memory.

GW2 has its problems. Orr is awful, it actually reminds me of the things I hated about GW1. Yet taken as a whole, its a game that sets a standard of what an mmo can be.

Think about it. What if SWtoR had maps that where huge and all of it exploreable? How about not needing run back and forth to quest hubs?  What about races like Ewoks and Wookies? How can Tor have spent soooo much money and ask for a sub, and yet not be as complete as GW2?

What if TSW had a character gen where you could pick body shapes and size? A game with good combat and sound animations? How can TSW which had plenty of money spent on it and asks for a sub, not be a more compete game than GW2?

You can pick out things you don't like about GW2 or things you liked about other mmos, but in terms of a 'whole' game.  Not a feature or two. Few other two month(?) old mmos come close to it.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

ANET did market GW1 as an MMO originally  Hell, I remember coming to this site at the time and everyone here said it was an MMO.

heres the press release from April 2003, announcing Guild Wars

- a year before GW1 launched

NCSOFT UNVEILS ARENANET’S HIGHLY-ANTICIPATED COMPETITIVE ROLE PLAYING GAME, GUILD WARS

http://web.archive.org/web/20061210065012/http://www.guildwars.com/press/releases/pressrelease-2003-04-22.php

SEOUL, South Korea/SEATTLE, WA, April 22, 2003 -- NCsoft, the world's top developer of online computer games is pleased to announce Guild Wars™, a mission-based competitive online role playing game, produced by its Seattle-based ArenaNet studio. Guild Wars will have its first major public showing at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3), May 14-16 at the Los Angeles Convention Center.

In the fantasy world of Guild Wars, players can engage in cooperative group combat, in single player adventures, or in large head-to-head guild battles. Guild Wars is a game that will constantly evolve, using streaming technology to provide players with the latest updates while they’re online. In addition, gamers will be able to play Guild Wars without a monthly fee in North America. NCsoft will announce a variety of pricing options for gamers in other parts of the world in the near future.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Just because this site, ANET, you and others want to consider this a true MMORPG does not mean I have to.  Will it be looked upon the same way in five years as it is now?  Not so sure.  Time will tell.  But in the past two months popular opinion of this game has changed drastically. 

It's a free Internet, you can believe what you want.  Doesn't make it any less stupid lol :).

I think the genre has been around long enough that it has spawned several subgenres.

MMO - Parent

MMORPG - Child

MMOAG - Child

MMOCRPG (C stands for Coop) - Child

So before calling something stupid, maybe try to understand what they are saying?

I honestly have no clue what you are talking about.  We were talking about how you thought gw2 is not an MMORPG.  Not some crazy inheritance relationship.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

Opinion is an opinion. There is nothing stupid about it. it is not like he stated facts like 'earth is round' as an opinion.

Definition of what is MMORPG is not set in stone. In my opinion GW2 is a MMO but i certainly won't call others stupid because they think differently. GW2 is a MMO is not some scientificaly proven fact and the whole MMO term is open to interpretation because it is ever evolving.

Who made you the spotlight user anyway? if i flame and insult people regularly would i get the title too?

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

It's a game. It's not heaven that opens up in the sky and a golden door that leads you through the clouds.

Still a game, you get bored of them eventually. Then you can come back to them and enjoy them.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by halflife25

Definition of what is MMORPG is not set in stone. In my opinion GW2 is a MMO but i certainly won't call others stupid because they think differently. GW2 is a MMO is not some scientificaly proven fact and the whole MMO term is open to interpretation because it is ever evolving.

i agree but Grimal also claimed ANET marketed GW1 as a mmo

ive only seen players (not anet) make that claim

ANET always described GW1 as a CORPG - Competitive Online RPG

• XenoskaXenoska Member UncommonPosts: 21

Who made you the spotlight user anyway? if i flame and insult people regularly would i get the title too?

Lol, no you just need to be pompous enough to believe you're right about everything, even if the subject is meaningless.

By meaningless, i mean, i have no problem with GW2. Whether or not it's really an "MMORPG" i think is indifferent to the topic.

Either you like it or you don't.

I've read some very valid opinions, both ways, and am disheartened nonetheless.

Not saying that i'm ignorning other's opinions, because there is truth in what most people say.

There was a post earlier about us as gamers having too high of expectations. I believe this to be 100% true.

To each their own i guess. Also, WvW i think is the best thing about GW2. Expectations weren't that high for it, but it went above and beyond. Yeah you might get killed by an invisible army once in a while but hell, anyone here play castle sieges in Lineage II? Dear god.

Lol "ignorning..." just laughed at my own post. hahaaa.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

all my disappointments came BEFORE the BWE.  I knew then that the skill system was extended in regards to how many skills you could use (which I wanted in GW1) but they took away secondary professions (disappointed)  I knew that they weren't going to have fantastic character models like in TERA (disappointed) but I found out that the world itself is much more amazing than I expected.  I knew they were removing the monk (disappointed).  I also knew that DE quests were going to be cyclical (obviously, no disappointment when it's common sense)

I knew all those things before, so GW2 has played very close to what I expected, and I'm satisfied with the game and continue to play.

My main disappointment is with a few people on this site that feel the need to campaign against GW2. These people have post again and again trying to convert the masses away from GW2.  These aren't even trolls, they are what trolls wipe their feet on. That might be a figurative example, but it fits perfectly. These campaigners create the groundwork for the trolls to play in by posting their anti-GW2 threads, and then the trolls jump all over anybody that argues with them.

So yeah, if anything, GW2 has proven to me that the game is alot more honest than forums, which is a shame because I first came here because I wanted to get some quality insight into future mmo's.  My disappointment doesn't lie with the game.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Opinion is an opinion. There is nothing stupid about it. it is not like he stated facts like 'earth is round' as an opinion.

Yes, you should try ;).

Anyway, I suppose there was a time when I actually contributed useful things to this site way back when.  But now I recognize it for what it is and that time has passed lol.

also, isn't your calling out of my opinion that his opinion is stupid, basically the same thing I did ;)?

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Yes, you should try ;).

Anyway, I suppose there was a time when I actually contributed useful things to this site way back when.  But now I recognize it for what it is and that time has passed lol.

also, isn't your calling out of my opinion that his opinion is stupid, basically the same thing I did ;)?

No;;;i am simply disagreeing with your way of dealing with people who might have different interpretation of terms MMO. I don't think even remotely implied that your opinion is stupid. I just don't feel there are any absolutes or my interpretation is the only right one when it comes to MMOS.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

No;;;i am simply disagreeing with your way of dealing with people who might have different interpretation of terms MMO. I don't think even remotely implied that your opinion is stupid. I just don't feel there are any absolutes or my interpretation is the only right one when it comes to MMOS.

But...if the term MMO is meaningless, isn't any statement like "it's not an MMO!" essentially a waste of hot air?

I mean, if we're agreeing to accept any definition for (A)...Then "Not (A)" is an statement without meaning.

If we have a definition for (A), one that most people agree on, then in order to "Not (A)", one would have to demonstrate a significant departure from (A).

Did no one study symbollic at all?

So which is it?  Either (A) means something (so does Not (A)), or both (A) and Not (A) are undefined.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Icewhite

But...if the term MMO is meaningless, isn't any statement like "it's not an MMO!" essentially a waste of hot air?

I mean, if we're agreeing to accept any definition for (A)...Then "Not (A)" is an statement without meaning.

If we have a definition for (A), one that most people agree on, then in order to "Not (A)", one would have to demonstrate a significant departure from (A).

Did no one study symbollic at all?

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    Yes, you should try ;).

So NO ONE has the Ultimate truth.... 

It´s a game...can we agree on that? or neither............................?

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    So, "painted myself into a corner, no escape" then?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• PoporiPopori Member UncommonPosts: 334

I think the real tragedy here,

Is all the GW2 pro-trolls and con-trolls could probably be the best of friends...

if they just loved each other despite their differences.

But that can't be...the pro-trolls have to defend against the blasphemies of the con-trolls - stop the spread of disinformation.

And the con-trolls, they can't let the pro-trolls make the subject matter seem flawless - the truth must be known.

So battle ensues, each dancing gracefully around the other.

But who is the real victor in all this?

If anyone.....................................................................................

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

You remember wrong.  On both counts.

You know, these days, you can dig up all sorts of old stuff. Forum posts, press releases, really almost anything you could possibly be referring to.  So.. I wonder if you could find even a single example?

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.