Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

idea for a payment system........

xaritscinxaritscin CaliMember Posts: 350 Uncommon

having experience from both F2P and P2P forms of payment, i've come to the conclusion that we need a new system. one which could benefit both players and developers equally.

"Pay for Time" (P4T):

this systems evolves from the P2P system, instead of having to pay a whole monthly fee, players can pay the sum of the time they want to spend.

as an example: Derp is a casual player, but due to real life problems he only has 1 dollar, the P4T system allows him to play ffor 1 day, the time doesnt disappear while offline, so Derp can save his time and use it when he wants.

(take in count that i haven't calculated the incomes, this is just an idea, so havent figured out the whole revenues).

the P4T rewards in the manner that players pay the amount of time they want to play, without having to worry about having the money to pay the next month.

of course there are several flaws that i havent resolved like:

- if Derp can pay for a day, and he plays in short cicles (2-3 hours) this would extend his gametime for about 12 or 8 days. so monthly i would only get 2 dollars from him.

now extending that, what would happen with a guy who decides to pay a whole year?. and doest the same, he plays in short cicles.

-how to get a bigger income while allowing players to play without loosing time?

Comments

• BjordionBjordion Jersey City, NJMember Posts: 10

This is a great concept and extremely ideal to the consumer.  This will become even more viable as time marches on and more studios pop up, thereby creating more games that compete against one another for the attention of their respective player bases.  

The difficulty would lie in determing a pricing structure that would adequately cover the cost for "$1 plan" players in regards to the transaction fee, which likely is performed via a credit/debit card.  It wouldn't make sense to allow a player to purchase $1 of game time when it cost $3 to perform the transaction.

I has a crayon

• xaritscinxaritscin CaliMember Posts: 350 Uncommon
    Originally posted by Bjordion
    This is a great concept and extremely ideal to the consumer.  This will become even more viable as time marches on and more studios pop up, thereby creating more games that compete against one another for the attention of their respective player bases.     The difficulty would lie in determing a pricing structure that would adequately cover the cost for "$1 plan" players in regards to the transaction fee, which likely is performed via a credit/debit card.  It wouldn't make sense to allow a player to purchase $1 of game time when it cost $3 to perform the transaction.  

thanks to hear it, to be honest, i was inspired by the payment system for mobile phones, you pay the amount of minutes you want to use for calls or sms, and those bought minutes dont disappear. as the same system, i have to figure a good price for it.

cause $1 for 2 hours would be unfair for players. some people would be paying a whole monthly sub in less days for example. at first i was thinking in dividing $30 by the number of days so i got 1 dolar per day. that was the initial fee. but with the time acumulation system, it gets tricky.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAMember Posts: 14,247 Rare
    Originally posted by xaritscin
    having experience from both F2P and P2P forms of payment, i've come to the conclusion that we need a new system. one which could benefit both players and developers equally. "Pay for Time" (P4T): this systems evolves from the P2P system, instead of having to pay a whole monthly fee, players can pay the sum of the time they want to spend.

You do know that subscription evolved from hourly, right?

Hourly is still popular in the east, though.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• anemoanemo Member Posts: 998 Uncommon

I don't like it from a business owner setpoint.

Because every time my customer has to open the wallet consciously they also make the decision on whether or not something is worth it.   Forcing the customer to do so more than once a month seems suicidal for the western market, I have the feeling it works in the eastern market because net cafes are still a major way to get Internet and computer access.

With subscription the customer chooses once, and literally forgets about it for the most part since they aren't making a choice after the first one.   With a cash shop of any sort the player gets a near immediate positive feedback.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• ReklawReklaw Am.Member Posts: 6,495 Uncommon

Yet for about 0,50 cents a day Derp would be able to not worry about that 1 day and he can log approx 30 day's at any time he wants within those 30 day's.

And if Derp really has real life issue's that gives him only 1 dollar a month he should stop gaming get his real life in order or in some cases put time in his studie that eventually when he gets a job he doesn't have these financial issue's.

Obviously there can be many reasons why some might have financial issue's and those reasons can be very legit and perhaps not even by their own doing. But still those people need to prioritize what is important.

Sorry OP it's not that I am against different payment options, it's just that I still can't understand what is wrong with a normal sub-fee to experiance the whole game at any time someone wants to without having restrictions because a game is F2P or Hybrid or Cashshop. Because let's say suddenly Derp has more playtime, yet his money issue remains the same shouldn't his first priority be to try HARD to fix that money issue.

Originally posted by Loktofeit
    having experience from both F2P and P2P forms of payment, i've come to the conclusion that we need a new system. one which could benefit both players and developers equally. "Pay for Time" (P4T): this systems evolves from the P2P system, instead of having to pay a whole monthly fee, players can pay the sum of the time they want to spend.

You do know that subscription evolved from hourly, right?

Hourly is still popular in the east, though.

i have experience from the client side. not the corporative one. didnt know that

• rungardrungard st. john''s, NFMember Posts: 1,035
    having experience from both F2P and P2P forms of payment, i've come to the conclusion that we need a new system. one which could benefit both players and developers equally. "Pay for Time" (P4T): this systems evolves from the P2P system, instead of having to pay a whole monthly fee, players can pay the sum of the time they want to spend.   as an example: Derp is a casual player, but due to real life problems he only has 1 dollar, the P4T system allows him to play ffor 1 day, the time doesnt disappear while offline, so Derp can save his time and use it when he wants. (take in count that i haven't calculated the incomes, this is just an idea, so havent figured out the whole revenues). the P4T rewards in the manner that players pay the amount of time they want to play, without having to worry about having the money to pay the next month. of course there are several flaws that i havent resolved like: - if Derp can pay for a day, and he plays in short cicles (2-3 hours) this would extend his gametime for about 12 or 8 days. so monthly i would only get 2 dollars from him. now extending that, what would happen with a guy who decides to pay a whole year?. and doest the same, he plays in short cicles. -how to get a bigger income while allowing players to play without loosing time?

this was the original internet game system where you payed by the hour. It wasnt very popular.

Originally posted by Reklaw
    Yet for about 0,50 cents a day Derp would be able to not worry about that 1 day and he can log approx 30 day's at any time he wants within those 30 day's. And if Derp really has real life issue's that gives him only 1 dollar a month he should stop gaming get his real life in order or in some cases put time in his studie that eventually when he gets a job he doesn't have these financial issue's. Obviously there can be many reasons why some might have financial issue's and those reasons can be very legit and perhaps not even by their own doing. But still those people need to prioritize what is important. Sorry OP it's not that I am against different payment options, it's just that I still can't understand what is wrong with a normal sub-fee to experiance the whole game at any time someone wants to without having restrictions because a game is F2P or Hybrid or Cashshop. Because let's say suddenly Derp has more playtime, yet his money issue remains the same shouldn't his first priority be to try HARD to fix that money issue.    

the idea is to give an alternative to the payment systems we have right now. F2P sounds nice in the theory but as i see it always ends becoming P2W. some people doesnt have the money to pay a monthly sub, also, monthly subs dont save the time, if you dont play in that month you loose those $15.

im trying to figure a system where clients still pay, but they dont loose the time they invest if they cant play at the moment, and the 100% of the content is avaliable to them.

we need a new payment system, F2P has proven to be unsuccesfull from my point of view.

• OnomasOnomas USAMember Posts: 1,129 Uncommon

15$ a month (11-13 for longer subs) is actualy a cheap price for 24/7 entertainment. Thats .50 cents a day, try to find cheaper entertainment this day in age, please do and tell me. I would rather pay 50 cents a day for unlimited game time and no cash shops than f2p or pay by the hour. I hate cash shops, they are cheap way to suck money from the community often charging you for more quests, gear, gear upgrades, extra slots, more characters, and so much more that is just given to most paid sub games.

• AdmiralWolverineAdmiralWolverine NestonMember Posts: 29
    Didnt they do this with the original APB?