Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Are we going to see it done better?

Cod_EyeCod_Eye jarrowPosts: 1,016Member

Now GW2 is a couple of months old and without taking away Anets glory of a successful game despite its faults, will we see other major developer look on it and do it better?

I enjoyed levelling up my character and discovering every nook and cranny of each map, but I have to be honest the end game is stale and I now find it very difficult to log onto the game and do anything.  Even the Halloween event isnt very inspiring, go to 6 different points in the world and talk to an npc to get a scroll to hand in to an npc.  The clocktower is fun and frustrating, but that wears off after a short time, the pvp mini games didnt draw me in, i'd rather go to WvWvW or do spvp.

What can other developers do different to make this game better than it is? will a developer take the main ingredients from GW2 and add more carrot on a stick to win a larger player base? will they keep the cash shop or put more meaningful items in there to encourage player spending? or even add a subscription and give you the complete experience without a cash shop?  Or will the mainstream companies stay away?

Comments

• ImixZinzImixZinz frazier park, CAPosts: 553Member
    Originally posted by biggarfoot

Now GW2 is a couple of months old and without taking away Anets glory of a successful game despite its faults, will we see a major developer look on it and do it better?

I enjoyed levelling up my character and discovering every nook and cranny of each map, but I have to be honest the end game is stale and I now find it very difficult to log onto the game and do anything.  Even the Halloween event isnt very inspiring, go to 6 different points in the world and talk to an npc to get a scroll to hand in to an npc.  The clocktower is fun and frustrating, but that wears off after a short time, the pvp mini games didnt draw me in, i'd rather go to WvWvW or do spvp.

What can other developers do different to make this game better than it is? will a developer take the main ingredients from GW2 and add more carrot on a stick to win a larger player base? will they keep the cash shop or put more meaningful items in their to encourage player spending? or even add a subscription and give you the complete experience without a cash shop?  Or will the mainstream companies stay away?

I feel the same way about GW2, in fact i have not even logged in for the holloween event it feels like it just ran out of purpose.

I think that GW2 is an amazing game at its core and imo on par with SWTOR's leveling system in a less personal way. Its just somehow Anet has forgotten that competition is what drives people to play MMO's (and games in general). Whether its to have the best gear/character, clear content first (or at all), PvP rankings/ladder etc... GW2 doesnt offer any of this for sustained play and so the "reason" to continue playing is completely absent. I don't think a carrot on a stick would be the key factor to an MMO's success if theres reason to attain that carrot.

• QuirhidQuirhid TamperePosts: 5,969Member Common
    If Arenanet is not a "major developer" who is?

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye jarrowPosts: 1,016Member
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    If Arenanet is not a "major developer" who is?

I never said they wasn't, I was referring to other mainstream developers. maybe you should try reading the post instead of making critical remarks without doing so.  I admit I should of put "other" instead of "a".

• Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member

No.  Well... maybe.  I think smart devs will incorporate the new stuff GW2 brought to the genre, but due to people not being able to let go of preconceived notions of what all MMO endgame should be, we'll go right back to the lack of variety we've seen for the past 8 years, at least in regard to what you do at level cap.  Note, I'm not saying GW2 endgame is better or worse than the traditional stuff (I haven't played it yet), just that it's because of PEOPLE that change happens or doesn't happen.  They sell us only what we'll buy.

I'm all about variety.  It's one of the reasons I supported GW2 from the beginning.  They didn't make a graphically superior version of WoW and sell it to an already inundated market for that type of game.  Not everyone enjoys what GW2 brings to the table, but for those who do, they have enough money now to add to the game to keep fans happy, much like Rift or any other successful money making MMO.  The more styles we have to play, the better.

• Swollen_BeefSwollen_Beef Tampa, FLPosts: 200Member
    Originally posted by biggarfoot

will a developer take the main ingredients from GW2 and add more carrot on a stick to win a larger player base? will they keep the cash shop or put more meaningful items in there to encourage player spending? or even add a subscription and give you the complete experience without a cash shop?  Or will the mainstream companies stay away?

They will copy GW2 and call it innovative because they spent $50 million more on it.