Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Funcom does a good job.

Anarchy Online is still the best mmo I've ever played.  Maybe the best video/computer game I've ever played.   2001-2004 AO I'm talking about. 

When you read threads about what mmorpgs should be, you think "that was AO!!!!"

Age of Conan is awesome.  Put failcom logos as your avatar all you want, but AoC has it all.  Mature community, depth, hundreds of skill points you can apply to your character when you level, fun combat (way more visceral and action packed than the wanna be console games like tera or RaiderZ).  If you want console level action combat check out DC Universe, Vindictus, or PSO2.  PSO2 is beyond awesome btw.    Awesome soundtrack.   Very dark fantasy world, no bubbly fat animal people like in tera or gw2.  AoC reminds of 80s style DnD - gritty.

The Sercret World is also pretty amazing.  People asked for something different and Funcom delivered.  Sure, it's not perfect, but it's different.  TSW makes you think.  An mmo that makes you use your brain??  What is this 1999??? 

Funcom, imo, makes the best mmos.  They have 3, and they are all awesome. 

Comments

• EazydzzzEazydzzz Member Posts: 24
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    [mod edit]

Really?  Because every game of theirs I play has a strong, very nice, and very mature community.  I've made more friends in Funcom games than I have in any other games, and I've dabbled in almost every mmo.

• DonY81DonY81 Member UncommonPosts: 398
    Originally posted by Eazydzzz

Anarchy Online is still the best mmo I've ever played.  Maybe the best video/computer game I've ever played.   2001-2004 AO I'm talking about. 

Age of Conan is awesome.  Put failcom logos as your avatar all you want, but AoC has it all.  Mature community, depth, hundreds of skill points you can apply to your character when you level, fun combat (way more visceral and action packed than the wanna be console games like tera or RaiderZ).  If you want console level action combat check out DC Universe, Vindictus, or PSO2.  PSO2 is beyond awesome btw.    Awesome soundtrack.   Very dark fantasy world, no bubbly fat animal people like in tera or gw2.  AoC reminds of 80s style DnD - gritty.

The Sercret World is also pretty amazing.  People asked for something different and Funcom delivered.  Sure, it's not perfect, but it's different.  TSW makes you think.  An mmo that makes you use your brain??  What is this 1999??? 

Never played AO but i loved Age of Conan. I also own TSW which was good. On another note how is AOCs pop these days im from europe and have been thinking of taking another look.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

If Funcom put AoC's combat, combat animation, and character models in TSW and i assure you that i will subscribe for a long time. Thats the only reason (aside from a nonsensical full fledged cash shop in a sub based mmo) im waiting for F2P on TSW. Yes, only reason.

cant talk about AO since i never played it. 

Originally posted by DonY81

Never played AO but i loved Age of Conan. I also own TSW which was good. On another note how is AOCs pop these days im from europe and have been thinking of taking another look.

Supposedly the EU servers are where it's at.   The US servers are doing very well, so the EU servers must be great.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

They've got great ideas, but often crappy execution. AO and AoC are especially good examples of this.

The most annoying of Funcom's failures is that, IMO, AO is still their best MMO. It has a huge, open world and a great mix of sandbox and themepark features - something both TSW and AoC lack. Too bad it's so 2001 it makes your eyes hurt, had some disappointing expansions, is quite dead and still doesn't have that new graphics engine they have talked about for years.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Its interesting how Funcom has become this edgy underdog dev that certain types like to rally behind.  "Interesting" probably isn't the word they would use.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

Originally posted by Scalpless

They've got great ideas, but often crappy execution. AO and AoC are especially good examples of this.

The most annoying of Funcom's failures is that, IMO, AO is still their best MMO. It has a huge, open world and a great mix of sandbox and themepark features - something both TSW and AoC lack. To bad it's so 2001 it makes your eyes hurt, had some disappointing expansions, is quite dead and still doesn't have that new graphics engine they have talked about for years.

I agree about AO, that's why I have to say I'm talking about the Ao of old.  You need people to enjoy AO.   The whole structure of AO revolves around there being a lot of people playing.  Land control, the war, the ever-evolving story revolved around people.  AO was the first, and hopefully not last, mmo where the community (not just you as the "hero") was actively involved in the story.  You could vote,  could have protests, ect ect that would make an actual change in the game world.  It felt like an ever changing world, and felt like you could possibly make a dent in what went on. 

Originally posted by Vhaln
    Its interesting how Funcom has become this edgy underdog dev that certain types like to rally behind.  "Interesting" probably isn't the word they would use.

Nope.  Not an edgy underdog.  Just like people who don't like WoW are just hating WoW to be cool.  Right?  One post about Funcom being good and they are now "an edgy underdog"?

Maybe I just like Funcom games.  Name one company that makes better games in the mmo world. 

Am I being an "edgy underdog"?

"certain types"

[mod edit]

[mod edit]
    [mod edit]

they exist but they're more rare...naturally people react to disconfort but sit and enjoy confort.

there's positive threads too. Just not as often. Nobody needs a shoulder to ... laugh on. :D

No confort taken.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Im happy that Funcom have managed to turn things around after AoCs launch disaster. Like someone else said, they have great ideas but poor execution.

Maybe one day they will release a great MMO but with resent issues, sadly I doubt it.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405

I'm happy with TSW, but I could be happier if they fix the pvp in Fusang. I have a lifetime sub and still enjoy playing a few hours every week.  

There were a lot of things I liked about AoC and  a lot I didn't. I can't stand Villas...I've had enough of that for a lifetime. And when I bought AoC, I bought it legitimately. I mean, I was living in Korea. Then they blocked me because they sold the rights to a Korean distributor and wouldn't let me download the English client here (since I took time off and wanted to re-install). I have an 80 guardian. I have lived in Korea for a long time and I have never met a single person here who plays AoC. So that made me mad at FC.

I've never tried AO. 

• DreskestDreskest Member Posts: 69

I don't know if they make the best MMOs , but I surely enjoy them. I waited a long time for a modern day MMO with an awesome setting and atmosphere, and TSW delivers exactly what I was looking for, along with a superb story, really cool dungeons, and a complex skill system that allows for lots of interesting combinations, among other things.

Not perfect, but there's no perfect game out there. What's in there was more than enough to get a lifetime membership.

Now AoC. I still have a sub and think it's worth every cent. Game still has a bunch of issues, and to many people out there, they're gamebreaking issues. Not to me, and I really appreciate what FC did to create this low fantasy virtual world.

And Anarchy Online. It's hard to believe the game is so old, because I still find the gameplay and the game systems way above the average MMO, and really hope at some point, they manage to make the graphical update a reality. Pretty sure this would inject new life into the game.

Don't play AO that much anymore, but keep my yearly plan going to show my appreciation and support for Funcom, a gaming company that brings many cool and interesting ideas to the MMO genre, and yes, the execution of these ideas may not always be the best, and some people may claim their execution leave a lot to be desired, and/or their  games just plain suck, but I am honestly not bothered by these comments.

I do enjoy playing Funcom games, and in the end, that's all it matters to me.

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    [mod edit]

one more here

my first mmo was AO ,not played AOC(not interested for game setting), but now I am impressed with awesome TSW,yes they make great work

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Im not a Funcom supporter seems like every game they have launched has had it share of problems and no change it looks in future. I suppose what bothers me the most is offering a Life-Time sub and a short time later talking of TSW going F2p and item shops. In my opinion Funcom is more interested in your money then game expericence.

Every Life-Time sub i have gotten went F2p and i will not support the company or there games any longer. Funcom is at the top of my List of game developers that i will not support.  TSW will go F2p sooner than later.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Who ever does the audio at funcom, both the soundtrack, voice and spot effects is if the highest quality. Aoc and tsw have the best soundtrack in mmos, heck better than the vast majority of solo games. If funcom end up going bust, someone should hire these guys. They are also a very strong company on instanced dungeon design, heck they invented them, however chars not really my thing. Funcom suck at pvp, and that's what keeps me playing long term.
  • StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

"Funcom does a good job"

-Must be why they have mass layoffs with every release

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Title incomplete: Funcom does a good job at [ ________ ].

Fill in the blank, and you have a much more complete/commentable topic.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

I haeve to agree, even with their flaws they at least try to make unique games, the problem is that they tend to vear a bit too far, at times creating clunkly hard to use game mechanics, in the case of TSW, so many choices but at the same time so few actual choices resulting in too simple game mechanics, they somehow managed to do both in the same game.

• ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783

FunCom  has great ideas coupled with incredibly bad implementation, pathetic CS and bad management...plus amazing ptchmen which is why they are still around.

AO was a visionary idea executed in an incredibly botched fashion. It had the hands-down worst launch in MMO history and the customers hosed by it were never really compensated. It's staggered on since then because behind the horrid management there are some very invested and skilled people.

AoC was a significantly better launch, but again was terribly managed and completely failed to deliver on both what it could have been and what FC claimed for it initially.

TSW was the best launch of FC's run, so clearly they can learn something and are improving at some level of management. However once again I think it falls far short of what was promised and what the game could have been. They *will* move to F2P soon, regardless of what it does to lifetime subscribers and others because that is what the upper level of FC management does. All their current customers have served their purpose and can now be thrown under the bus as TSW will be milked for the operating capital, clout and hype to bankroll FC into their next project ;)

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Originally posted by ericbelser

FunCom  has great ideas coupled with incredibly bad implementation, pathetic CS and bad management...plus amazing ptchmen which is why they are still around.

AO was a visionary idea executed in an incredibly botched fashion. It had the hands-down worst launch in MMO history and the customers hosed by it were never really compensated. It's staggered on since then because behind the horrid management there are some very invested and skilled people.

AoC was a significantly better launch, but again was terribly managed and completely failed to deliver on both what it could have been and what FC claimed for it initially.

TSW was the best launch of FC's run, so clearly they can learn something and are improving at some level of management. However once again I think it falls far short of what was promised and what the game could have been. They *will* move to F2P soon, regardless of what it does to lifetime subscribers and others because that is what the upper level of FC management does. All their current customers have served their purpose and can now be thrown under the bus as TSW will be milked for the operating capital, clout and hype to bankroll FC into their next project ;)

Very well put young man. The Beer is on me.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • BrixonBrixon Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Not sure why Funcom never really overhauled AO. AO is by far their best title, but it was mared by a horrible launch. The depth and setting can't really be found in any other MMO. If they would upgrade the game and relaunch it, they might have hit on their hands.
  • Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675
    Originally posted by Brixon
    Not sure why Funcom never really overhauled AO. AO is by far their best title, but it was mared by a horrible launch. The depth and setting can't really be found in any other MMO. If they would upgrade the game and relaunch it, they might have hit on their hands.

Exactly.  I loved AO when I played it, it was a fantastic game, but like everything else Funcom does, they promise a lot and never come through on any of it.  How many years have they been claiming the new graphics engine is coming out "real soon now"?  Let's be honest, it's never coming out.  It's just a line to string people along for a little longer and wring more money out of them.  I stopped playing AO because I had basically done everything it had to offer and I know that they're never going to follow through on any of their promises.  Come on Funcom, be honest, tell people that you're never going to do anything more with the game.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Haha, depth? AoC? We talking the same game here? AoC is just a WoW clone with boobs. And TSW would have been a better game if they had fully committed to being a singleplayer game instead of a mostly singleplayer MMO. But Funcom got greedy and thought they could slap a monthly fee on it and call it an MMO.
  • VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Vhaln

Nope.  Not an edgy underdog.  Just like people who don't like WoW are just hating WoW to be cool.  Right?  One post about Funcom being good and they are now "an edgy underdog"?

Maybe I just like Funcom games.  Name one company that makes better games in the mmo world. 

Am I being an "edgy underdog"?

"certain types"

[mod edit]

I was drunk when I posted that.  I apologize.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

FunCom do some things really good, but they do have problems as well. Programming have always been a problem as example, AO took months before it was even playable.

Another problem they have is the fact that their games are far too small. What killed AoC for me was not the bugs (even if they didnt help) but the fact that the zones were few and small. Not counting AO here though.

And they add content really slow as well. AoC have been out for years and is still really small even with the expansion. Same thing here with AO, there they added loads of stuff but since then they seems to have grown lazy, or the engine makes it so adding content is too much work.