Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Moving past 3 faction limitations... What about the payment model?

sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

I want to aviod the dreaded payment debates.  I don't mean to offend anyone who objects to this type of payment plan, it's only an option.  We have to keep an open mind and let TESO grow how they feel best (even if they are limiting races to factions).  Here is a suggestion I have for a possible payment plan.

Per Faction (4-6 months after release)

Okay, so we're getting 3 factions, how about a few payment options down the road.  Four to six months after relase sell 3 separate digital editions of the game online;

• The Elder Scrolls Online: Daggerfall Convent
  • The Elder Scrolls Online: Ebonheart Pact
  • The Elder Scrolls Online: Aldmeri Dominion

Each costing $39.99 (bundle for $59.99).

Full and Limited Access

You can select one of 3 subscription models;

• Non-subscribed with limited access
  • Player-set amount for moderate access
  • $14.99 a month for full access

Non-subscribed users pick a character for a week.  Xp and gold gain is reduced by 50% but the amount subtracted is collected and can be purchased later. They can PvP, PvE and explore but can't particapate in trade, dungeons or switch characters unless they buy game time.

Player Set Amount.  Player can choose how much a month they want to invest.  Although they can switch freely between characters they are locked into one faction each week.  They are given game time per week depending on how much money is taken out each month.  Any left over time can be used to purchase xp/gold boosts, previously earned xp, faction selection unlock or luxury items from the subscriber only store.

Alliance Subscribers have full access to the game and access to a luxury store.  Any new items are free for fully subscribed players.  They also get credit to spend on xp/gold boosts, past luxury items or previously earned xp.

Document Notes

* I've changed the moderate sub to a player set amount.  With this I figure players can say "I want to pay 5 bucks a month", then they can set that price and they would get game per week for that month.

* Luxury store is really a generic term.  I'm not sure if they are planning to do something like this.  It is good to have items you can buy that don't effect game play.  This allows the richer players to invest more into the game.  I figured they could release 1 item a month.  Players subscribed would get this item for free.  I'm not totally sold on the luxury store idea as of yet - will update later.

Tolder Summary

After 4 to 6 months sell digital copies separated by factions for $39.99 each.  Allow players to choose the amount they pay in subscription (if any) and give them game time depending on the amount paid.  This should be done in a way that would make it ideal to have a full subscription but give players a way to play while unsubscribed.

Comments

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    So...you think that they should charge us a ton of money? You're obviously either rich, or a child.
  • EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

Definitely not into the deparate factions thing, unless the bundle can be upgraded to (see GW2's upgrade system as reference).

Also, while I'm cool with subs (because I am rich as fuck, not a child - and because I feel it creates a more stable game environment if the game can retain the subs needed), I think that may be the final nail in ESO's coffin.

They're already off to a bad start and then if they announce any kind of sub system that will give all the haters (yes I'm one of them but not one who would care about a sub fee) the excuse to drop the mic on the game completely.

In light of GW2, it NEEDS to be B2P with a cash shop.  It won't survive any other way IMO.

Freemium could work as you're suggesting, but only if there's NO buy price.

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by wordiz
    So...you think that they should charge us a ton of money? You're obviously either rich, or a child.

Not at all!  I was looking for a way to lower the price. Lets say you only play a few hours a week, then you could select a lower subscription fee.  There would still be the standard "play all you want" $14.99 sub fee and on top of that, they get any released luxury item for free!

Make it easier for customers who bought the game to come back and explore.  Limit thier particapation, impact on economy and experience gained.  They could PvP and explore but can't go into dungeons or use the auction house.

Many games are already doing something like this.

Originally posted by Entinerint

Definitely not into the deparate factions thing, unless the bundle can be upgraded to (see GW2's upgrade system as reference).

Also, while I'm cool with subs (because I am rich as fuck, not a child - and because I feel it creates a more stable game environment if the game can retain the subs needed), I think that may be the final nail in ESO's coffin.

They're already off to a bad start and then if they announce any kind of sub system that will give all the haters (yes I'm one of them but not one who would care about a sub fee) the excuse to drop the mic on the game completely.

In light of GW2, it NEEDS to be B2P with a cash shop.  It won't survive any other way IMO.

Freemium could work as you're suggesting, but only if there's NO buy price.

Yeah, looking back I think selling the game in 3 seperate parts (via factions) may not be a good idea.  It could lead to less sales - if they was going to do this, they should wait a few months after release to pull in the people on the fence.

You are right, subscription MMOs tend to have a more stable economy.  Yet part of me feels like I've bought the game, I should at least be able to play it!  Limit the non-subbed but use them to populate the world.  PvP can always use some people but save dungeons for subscribers.

I'm not sure on the last part.  I don't like the term freemium at all.  The cash shop changes to what type of subscription you have.  If you're not subscribed then you can only buy your xp back ($1 per level - you can only puchase the xp you've accumlated while playing un-subscribed) or purchase game time ($1 for 24 hours - particapte in crafting, player trade, dungeons)

I've changed the original post.