Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FOV (Field of View) Changes Beta Test

JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

I tried this today and it works well. Both horizonal and verticle view increases. You can back out the camera a little more when you need it. 

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/news/FOV-Field-of-View-Changes-Beta-Test/first#post551634

We’re ready to beta test a change to our FOV (Field of View) that should provide a better experience for those with widescreen monitors. We want your feedback about the change to help us decide whether to deploy it to all players.

To help test, you’ll need to add a special command line to your GW2 client’s shortcut. Here’s how:

1) Create a shortcut to your GW2 client (right-click -> “Create Shortcut”)
2) Right-click the GW2 client shortcut
3) Click “Properties”
4) Locate text field labeled “Target.”
It should contain the file path of your shortcut, and will look something like this:C:GamesGw2Gw2.exe
5) Type -testVerticalFov at the end of the Target line
Be sure to include a space between .exe and -test.
The line should look like this: C:GamesGw2Gw2.exe -testVerticalFov
Please note that your Target line may or may not have quotation marks. If it does have quotation marks, this tag should go outside of them. So it will look like this:
“C:GamesGw2Gw2.exe” -testVerticalFov
6) Once the command line has been added, click Apply -> OK.
7) That’s it! Jump in and play with this new setting, and post your feedback in the following thread: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/tech/FOV-Field-of-View-Changes-Beta-Test-Feedback-Thread/first#post551648

If at any time you want to return to the old FOV, simply remove the –testVerticalFov from your target line and it’ll return to normal.

Comments

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788
    Yes, I tried it. It's great. Reduces "tunnel vision" greatly.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    wow!!! great stuff! everyone should give this a shot!

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    I never noticed fov issues with my 56 inch set.  Is this a thing where your face is one foot away from a 32 inch monitor?
  • jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    I never noticed fov issues with my 56 inch set.  Is this a thing where your face is one foot away from a 32 inch monitor?

Try this, put GW2 in window mode and reduce the vertical length of the window.

Or get 2 additional monitors and do the ATi's 'eye-infinity' thingy.

Or next time you get to the 'view point' and the video plays, look at how the camera shows you a lot more than you normally see.

Anet's handling of FOV is really bizzare. Lying about it being 75 when it is actually 65 and giving some really contradictory reasons why 'we won't increase FOV' as well.

Anyone know what the actual FOV value is with this beta thingy?

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by jpnz

Try this, put GW2 in window mode and reduce the vertical length of the window.

Or get 2 additional monitors and do the ATi's 'eye-infinity' thingy.

Or next time you get to the 'view point' and the video plays, look at how the camera shows you a lot more than you normally see.

Anet's handling of FOV is really bizzare. Lying about it being 75 when it is actually 65 and giving some really contradictory reasons why 'we won't increase FOV' as well.

Anyone know what the actual FOV value is with this beta thingy?

yeah I'll just head out and buy 2 more monitors wtf lol.   I'm playing in 16:9 and I assume people who are having issues are too.  If not 16:10

yeah I'll just head out and buy 2 more monitors wtf lol.   I'm playing in 16:9 and I assume people who are having issues are too.  If not 16:10

Playing it on a standard 24 widescreen here and it is bad.

Just look at the video when it does that 'sight' thingy and then look at it once it finishes; which is why their 'artistic integrity' reasoning was contradictory.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by Jyiiga

I tried this today and it works well. Both horizonal and verticle view increases. You can back out the camera a little more when you need it. 

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/news/FOV-Field-of-View-Changes-Beta-Test/first#post551634

We’re ready to beta test a change to our FOV (Field of View) that should provide a better experience for those with widescreen monitors. We want your feedback about the change to help us decide whether to deploy it to all players.

To help test, you’ll need to add a special command line to your GW2 client’s shortcut. Here’s how:

1) Create a shortcut to your GW2 client (right-click -> “Create Shortcut”)
    2) Right-click the GW2 client shortcut
    3) Click “Properties”
    4) Locate text field labeled “Target.”
    It should contain the file path of your shortcut, and will look something like this:C:GamesGw2Gw2.exe
    5) Type -testVerticalFov at the end of the Target line
    Be sure to include a space between .exe and -test.
    The line should look like this: C:GamesGw2Gw2.exe -testVerticalFov
    Please note that your Target line may or may not have quotation marks. If it does have quotation marks, this tag should go outside of them. So it will look like this:
    “C:GamesGw2Gw2.exe” -testVerticalFov
    6) Once the command line has been added, click Apply -> OK.
    7) That’s it! Jump in and play with this new setting, and post your feedback in the following thread: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/tech/FOV-Field-of-View-Changes-Beta-Test-Feedback-Thread/first#post551648

If at any time you want to return to the old FOV, simply remove the –testVerticalFov from your target line and it’ll return to normal.

H@Ck3r!!!!!!

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• TGSOLTGSOL Member Posts: 274
    Wierd. I play on a 16:9 monitor and normally if a game is below 90 FOV I notice and it gives me a headache... yet I've not had any problems with GW2 and it doesn't appear to me to be as low 65. I'll have to try this and see how it changes things...
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    This works good
  • PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

Jeez, this looks so much much better... wtf they don't have this on default?

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

Perhaps the term "beta-test" has something to do with it? ;D

They wanted to make sure it worked well before fully-implementing it...

I know shocking right? 

Originally posted by Stx11

I know shocking right? 

think he meant why wasn't it available for launch.. i remember reading something about performance concerns with the higher FOV

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    Why do they have to make this so complicated?  At least in OpenGL, changing the field of view is literally as simple as changing two of the entries in one matrix, once, ever.  I doubt it's any harder than that in DirectX.  Did they stupidly hard-code in a bunch of things that need to depend on monitor resolution and make it a pain to track them all down and fix it?
  • snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

NO, just requires a little research to understand. It has nothing to do with how big your monitor is or where you sit.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Stx11

I know shocking right? 

think he meant why wasn't it available for launch.. i remember reading something about performance concerns with the higher FOV

Exactly, and I don't see any decrease in performance at all.. which surprised me actually. Imo ANet wanted to compromise with the now fashionable narrow fov (never could play newer cods because of that, made me feel claustrophobic and somehow closed in). Imo, narrow fov doesn't make much sense in a game that prides itself with awesome scenery. This wider fov makes the game feel so much more "epic", especially the later regions and Orr in particular. The sooner they implement fov slider, the better.

• ghost047ghost047 Member UncommonPosts: 597
    Either I don't do it properly or I'm blind, but I can't find where the option is after I get in game.

Get a life you freaking Gamer.....no no, you don't understand, I'm a Gamer, I have many lives!!

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    I can scroll out so much that my Charr is looking like a little cat now. I don't like it. Its to much
  • maddbomber83maddbomber83 Member Posts: 422

Pay attention to the pumpkin on the top left of my screen as I moved the camera so it was in the same spot, zoomed all the way out.

With

With Out

ANet basically admitted that their FOV of 65 doesn't work.

Your zoom changes once you go into the instance for Mad King.

I tried to play with the default view (ish) for MK and it is basically impossible to play 'well' and avoid the 'stuff on the ground'.

Granted you can just kill him without the 'move out of the fire' since he is so easy, but on a normal dungeon run you are gimping yourself if the fights are like that and you have the default FOV.

My guildies always play MK first, then go into W v W since the zoom stays that way until you logout.

I never understood the whole FOV issue, why would ANet want to give that advantage to those who have 3 monitors + eye infinitey only? Just head scratching stuff.

Gdemami -

Originally posted by maddbomber83

Pay attention to the pumpkin on the top left of my screen as I moved the camera so it was in the same spot, zoomed all the way out.

With

With Out

yea the difference is really noticable.. not sure how some people can't see it.. i play skyrim with about 90 FOV so it's not hard to tell when I'm playing games with a much lower one