Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server Wipe?

DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362
Have seen the stories and was just wondering will this be treated like a new game? Is everything going to get wiped and they start new or will your old characters be around still? Couldn't find a FAQ on the site.

Comments

• PresbytierPresbytier Member UncommonPosts: 424
    There will be no Server wipes; however there will be new servers that players can choose and there will be no player transfer at launch to ensure these new servers grow naturally.

"Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."-Guybrush Threepwood
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."-Hunter S. Thompson

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

odd that there are no server wipes when I thought it was a completely new game

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314
    Because there would be riots in the streets if they wiped.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by birdycephon
    Because there would be riots in the streets if they wiped.

...and not only that, but it is simply unnecessary if new fresh servers are offered as well. Why create the bad feeling when you don't need to?

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

Hearing of the fresh servers really excites me!!! I didn't know there would be any.

I swore never to return without a character wipe, knowing all the exploits that were abused to level and gain retarded amounts of money.

Them taking a zero off of everything does nothing towards making sure everyone gets a even start. going from a billion to a hundred million for launch, while taking a zero off the price of everything, does nothing to stop them from abusing the market and skyrocketing prices

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

I think this is a mistake.  If the game is not that great then those new servers will be ghost towns and pointless.  And lack of wipe will discourage some people from coming back.

I doubt anyone would riot if they wiped. 

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583
    Originally posted by adam_nox

I think this is a mistake.  If the game is not that great then those new servers will be ghost towns and pointless.  And lack of wipe will discourage some people from coming back.

You doubt that those who have paid a sub for a year or more would riot if there was a wipe?

You don't know what you're talking about, I assure you.

Originally posted by Netspook

You doubt that those who have paid a sub for a year or more would riot if there was a wipe?

Didn't they do a poll for wiping vs not wiping, and it was split almost even?

So...of the 8k players that subbed after the downfall, 4k people would be SO MAD. Minimal, and something i would call a neccessary sacrifice :)

EDIT: This coming from someone who has two chars with most of the combat classes maxed and a nice wad of cash.

I want a fresh start in this fresh revamp. Everyone should.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    Was also thinking of checking this game out again and was concerned about the high levels with crazy amounts of gil. Glad they are using brand new servers and also keeping the old ones. It's a win/win. I may not be one of those people but I can imagine suddenly having a character I spent two years on being wiped (When already the whole game is changing) would be really unpleasant. Enough even to just move on, but I think that's a great way of handling it.
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Toxia

So...of the 8k players that subbed after the downfall, 4k people would be SO MAD. Minimal, and something i would call a neccessary sacrifice :)

Was it really only 8k? Where did you get that from?

And an even split? I am not sure... I seme to remember seeing somewhere that it was closer to 70/30, and if the unwiped servers drop below 30% then they would get dropped... I might be wrong there though, it's purely from flawed memory, I don't have a source and cba to get one right now ;)

Originally posted by Vesavius

Was it really only 8k? Where did you get that from?

And an even split? I am not sure... I seme to remember seeing somewhere that it was closer to 70/30, and if the unwiped servers drop below 30% then they would get dropped... I might be wrong there though, it's purely from flawed memory, I don't have a source and cba to get one right now ;)

SE/community manager has removed the chart showing population on servers from the japanese website once subscriptions started again. The chart had the population pegged at 47k total( that's logging in, active) before the sub kicked in. Using that as a base, the community came up with 8-12k as a subscriber base number after the sub kicked in.

Mostly speculation, no hard numbers as to how many are subbing. Looking for forum posts to linky for ya

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

Originally posted by Vesavius

Originally posted by adam_nox I think this is a mistake.  If the game is not that great then those new servers will be ghost towns and pointless.  And lack of wipe will discourage some people from coming back.   I doubt anyone would riot if they wiped. 
      You doubt that those who have paid a sub for a year or more would riot if there was a wipe? You don't know what you're talking about, I assure you.
    Didn't they do a poll for wiping vs not wiping, and it was split almost even? So...of the 8k players that subbed after the downfall, 4k people would be SO MAD. Minimal, and something i would call a neccessary sacrifice :)
      Was it really only 8k? Where did you get that from? And an even split? I am not sure... I seme to remember seeing somewhere that it was closer to 70/30, and if the unwiped servers drop below 30% then they would get dropped... I might be wrong there though, it's purely from flawed memory, I don't have a source and cba to get one right now ;)
    SE/community manager has removed the chart showing population on servers from the japanese website once subscriptions started again. The chart had the population pegged at 47k total( that's logging in, active) before the sub kicked in. Using that as a base, the community came up with 8-12k as a subscriber base number after the sub kicked in.

Mostly speculation, no hard numbers as to how many are subbing. Looking for forum posts to linky for ya

So where is the chart of the amount of people who followed up on yoshis promise to keep the old characters as far as possible? Let me guess, it's a tiny minority just because you said so?

Personaly you sound like someone to whom this game is already lost. If what others did or didn't (even on other servers) bothers you so much, i'm sure you will find something else to quit over.
    A Wipe is out of question anyway.

• DashiDMVDashiDMV Member Posts: 362

So from the column I read today it really sounds like they wiped and will make a totally new game. Did I read it wrong? Will there be grandfathered charaters/gil somewhere in there?

I would like to know because I would like to start totally new so I would want to know if I need to pick out a certain server for that or if the whole game got reset.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

New servers, no wipes.

Older players from 1.0 will have their own servers so they don't effect the economy and crafters that start fresh, everyone wins.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

How do you "relaunch" a game without a server wipe?

Will existing players even know how to play their toons in the new game?

• rygar218rygar218 Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Hell didnt Bahamut blow up just about everything! Wipe it all!
  • PoporiPopori Member UncommonPosts: 334

So despite the fact that these existing characters will have no effect on new players, their mere existence is troubling folks?

I'll never understand you humans.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by zevni78

New servers, no wipes.

Older players from 1.0 will have their own servers so they don't effect the economy and crafters that start fresh, everyone wins.

This.

• Sauteed_OnionSauteed_Onion Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by SuperXero89

How do you "relaunch" a game without a server wipe?

Will existing players even know how to play their toons in the new game?

I can't say with certainty, I didn't even play the game at launch; but I believe at the "End of an Era" cutscene that was played when they took the servers down; the elven guy one of the posters here uses sacrificed himself to send the current subscriber base into a "safe" spot while Bahamut decimated everything. So they are using that as an excuse to keep people's characters for the roll over. It's kinda odd, but that's my take on it.

Additionally the whole concept of "relaunching" a game is kinda new(at least to me), so perhaps this will define how a game "relaunches".. hopefully no other games will have to suffer the maddening burden of a relaunch, and with any luck these guys will make a succesful comeback (and relearn how to make a fucking final fantasy game on ye old console systems).

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600

The whole reason for the "Re-Launch" is to gain back lost fans. Now when the game is fresh people will want to try out the content... Well some will. The content locuts will not look back. So you will have the FF players that will go trew the new lower lvl content for a quick glance, but what about the new players that will need to run these places for the gear/items? It's really discouraging for to bring new players into a game that lots of players will have no need to play.

I mean lets take WoW as an example. If your new and you hit lvl 50 and want to go to the molten core who's going to go with you a month after Achievements came out.....NO ONE. Well this is where the game is going to start players with this type of lvl segregation. So all of those players wanting A fresh start into a new world will already have elitest before it even begins. 

Like many have said, they worked hard and paid subs for a year..... Billing however didn't start until Jan. of this year. The game closed for relaunch in Nov....11 months so yeah over a year into the games life they were like I know the games horrible, so we weren't going to make you pay for it but we have to keep the servers on so it's going to cost you $7.  Less then half of what PS3 users will have to pay if it ever launches at $15. So I can understand that you spent 2 years in a game  and only really spent 6 months worth of normal sub cost to keep the lights on that you feel entitled to something. However I think it could all be summed up in A actual Title. 

I mean we all know I'm no FF suporter the only FF I've liked since 9 was 12 and none since. However if they are trying to lure back old players and make their fanbase grow. Making a huge lvl gap that doesn't encourage partying with low players in any way shape or form will not help them do that. Grinding by yourself is boring. 

So while I do think that their best intrest would be to do A server wipe and start over so that they might have a healthy fanbase latter because this one lost 90% of their stock that they still have not recovered from. They have already said that they do not plan on doing so. I think that's a mistake.  Nothing says please go away noob like a max lvl at the very relaunch of the game saying please go away noob.

• Sauteed_OnionSauteed_Onion Member Posts: 33
    Originally posted by Weretigar

The whole reason for the "Re-Launch" is to gain back lost fans. Now when the game is fresh people will want to try out the content... Well some will. The content locuts will not look back. So you will have the FF players that will go trew the new lower lvl content for a quick glance, but what about the new players that will need to run these places for the gear/items? It's really discouraging for to bring new players into a game that lots of players will have no need to play.

I mean lets take WoW as an example. If your new and you hit lvl 50 and want to go to the molten core who's going to go with you a month after Achievements came out.....NO ONE. Well this is where the game is going to start players with this type of lvl segregation. So all of those players wanting A fresh start into a new world will already have elitest before it even begins. 

Like many have said, they worked hard and paid subs for a year..... Billing however didn't start until Jan. of this year. The game closed for relaunch in Nov....11 months so yeah over a year into the games life they were like I know the games horrible, so we weren't going to make you pay for it but we have to keep the servers on so it's going to cost you $7.  Less then half of what PS3 users will have to pay if it ever launches at $15. So I can understand that you spent 2 years in a game  and only really spent 6 months worth of normal sub cost to keep the lights on that you feel entitled to something. However I think it could all be summed up in A actual Title. 

I mean we all know I'm no FF suporter the only FF I've liked since 9 was 12 and none since. However if they are trying to lure back old players and make their fanbase grow. Making a huge lvl gap that doesn't encourage partying with low players in any way shape or form will not help them do that. Grinding by yourself is boring. 

So while I do think that their best intrest would be to do A server wipe and start over so that they might have a healthy fanbase latter because this one lost 90% of their stock that they still have not recovered from. They have already said that they do not plan on doing so. I think that's a mistake.  Nothing says please go away noob like a max lvl at the very relaunch of the game saying please go away noob.

I've not played this game, and honestly can't be called a fanboy either cause I've been sickened with final fantasy for many years; but I will say, I've read that they are making "Fresh" servers for people new to the game that old players can't transfer too; and that only new players will be able to get on. I'm not sure if that helps your issue with the relaunch of the game; it doesn't bother me either way. What makes me feel like I'll be interested in this particular game is the actual admittance from the staff that this game was a terrible failure at core levels; and that instead of just buckling and going away they rebuilt the son of a bitch and want to toss it back out. I'm not gonna buy this game at day one be like OMG I'm so exci.. HOLY OMGWTF this sucks, but if the reviews and actual footage I see of the game proclaim it truly awesome I'll buy it and sub. So far, it appears to be doing the right'ish things.

• WeretigarWeretigar Member UncommonPosts: 600
    Originally posted by Sauteed_Onion

I've not played this game, and honestly can't be called a fanboy either cause I've been sickened with final fantasy for many years; but I will say, I've read that they are making "Fresh" servers for people new to the game that old players can't transfer too; and that only new players will be able to get on. I'm not sure if that helps your issue with the relaunch of the game; it doesn't bother me either way. What makes me feel like I'll be interested in this particular game is the actual admittance from the staff that this game was a terrible failure at core levels; and that instead of just buckling and going away they rebuilt the son of a bitch and want to toss it back out. I'm not gonna buy this game at day one be like OMG I'm so exci.. HOLY OMGWTF this sucks, but if the reviews and actual footage I see of the game proclaim it truly awesome I'll buy it and sub. So far, it appears to be doing the right'ish things.

I'll wait for the ps3 release if I want to retry it. However the new servers added will be A great addition if they have good population