Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ZOS need to hire Torn Banner to remake their combat from the ground up!

EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868

http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/97i3kd/chivalry--medieval-warfare-review

Played this today.  It is beautifully tuned.  I've always enjoyed FPS melee combat, but also recognized its flaws.  Until now!  Aside from the gimmicky arrow-cam, this is pretty much flawless.  Finally, somebody found the right balance!

If they made the ESO combat like this, it would be a winner.

And before anybody starts crying: totally possible in an MMO environment against multiple foes.

Comments

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan
    I'm sorry, but that looked like total crap to me. The animations, and especially character movements, looked jerky and artificial.

You gotta play it, the animations could use some polish (the team are just a bunch of Source modders after all) but the way it FEELS and PLAYS is amazing.

I was pretty skeptical too until I played it.

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

The video on their homepage looks a little better.  It looks fun, is there a demo?

Originally posted by sapphen

The video on their homepage looks a little better.  It looks fun, is there a demo?

Sadly not, since it's all online.  They could have given maybe one map as a demo, but demos don't do companies any favors these days.

Anyway, point is, if ESO had this combat, it WOULD perhaps live up to the hype some people are giving it.

Personally, it is just that much fun, visceral and intense (without being too fast-paced to be seemingly unfair), that I would play ANY MMO that had combat like this, even Hello Kitty Online!

• LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by Entinerint
    I'm sorry, but that looked like total crap to me. The animations, and especially character movements, looked jerky and artificial.

You gotta play it, the animations could use some polish (the team are just a bunch of Source modders after all) but the way it FEELS and PLAYS is amazing.

I was pretty skeptical too until I played it.

I don't know what it says about todays gaming industry when modders & indie/small gaming companies are making decent to better games.

• PsychoPigeonPsychoPigeon Member UncommonPosts: 565
    that combat system in a mmo would be awful. Mount&Blade Warband has the best melee combat system so far, fluid, responsive, just pure juice.
    Originally posted by PsychoPigeon
    that combat system in a mmo would be amazing.

Fixed.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Played this today.  It is beautifully tuned.  I've always enjoyed FPS melee combat, but also recognized its flaws.  Until now!  Aside from the gimmicky arrow-cam, this is pretty much flawless.  Finally, somebody found the right balance!

And before anybody starts crying: totally possible in an MMO environment against multiple foes.

You have lost your mind. The FPS view wasn't the most important thing about TES games and their combat. That's why 

Bethesda went out their way with Skyrim to improve the Third person view of Melee combat. FPS combat in TES games has been known around the Internet to be terrible combat in the game from a general point of view. I don't see why so many people here seem to try to make it out to be something great which it never was.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

You have lost your mind. The FPS view wasn't the most important thing about TES games and their combat. That's why 

Bethesda went out their way with Skyrim to improve the Third person view of Melee combat. FPS combat in TES games has been known around the Internet to be terrible combat in the game from a general point of view. I don't see why so many people here seem to try to make it out to be something great which it never was.

very true i have been playing TES games since arena and it was never the combat itself that made these games so fun.. actually melee combat has always been the bland part of the game imho although skyrims is pretty fun

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by MMOExposed

I agree that FPS wasn't the most important thing about TES but it's still a pretty respectable guildline.  I disliked the FPS perspective in other games but played it in elder scroll games because that was part of their identity.  I would be disappointed if ESO does not have first person view.

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

I don't think there is a demo, but I purchased it on Steam and I don't regret it one bit. Lots of fun...and challenging too. Challenging...something MMOs know nothing about.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    I think the combat is the least of TESO's worries for long time TES fans.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

Originally posted by grimgryphon

I don't think there is a demo, but I purchased it on Steam and I don't regret it one bit. Lots of fun...and challenging too. Challenging...something MMOs know nothing about.

I love that type of gameplay and not many games did it well.  I'm glad to hear that this title was executed well, I'll have to get me a copy when I get the extra cash.

I know that ESO wants to expand the combat but they shouldn't forget their roots.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Interesting concept for a game actually. I am a big fan of historical and ancient warfare. My big turn off though is the animations and swordplay demonstrated in the video. When if comes to ancient weapon use I am a hardcore realist. The game itself maybe fun but if going to far to make it look and sound real the developers should have actually done some real research into how combat was actually fought with those weapons instead of simply stereotypes. Most of what was shown is entirely wrong when compared to historical tactics manuals.

Personally I would love to see a game truthfully mimicking ancient martial arts (both western and eastern). Sadly this would mean actual research by the developers on western arts long dead (or turned into sport nowhere near similar to their origins. IE fencing ... absolutely nothing like real the sword arts it is based upon) and eastern arts previous to the pale practices of today (moden day martial arts are twisted into philosophy and movements reflecting little effective application they once had). 

I'll have to wait to see before making an opinion on TESO. I personally don't think it would benefit being a hardcore FPS similation though.

You stay sassy!

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

I totally agree. It looked way too clunky.

Personally, whenever I play other RPGs like Dragon Age, or the Witcher (or most MMORPGs), for example, I always find myself wishing for more engaging, visceral, tactical combat like Skyrim has.

Faked combat is always SO boring.  Combat in those games feels like a chore, whereas in Skyrim I'm actually excited to get into a fight because it can be very unpredictable.  Nothing like an enemy getting RIGHT in your face to make you feel like your life is in danger, ha!

Chivalry doesn't seem to be going for realism, that's more Mount&Blade's bag.  Chivalry is trying to be like a medieval melee version of UT basically, objective-based, fast-paced combat (or as fast-paced as the setting will allow).

It's way more fun playing in its moment-to-moment than any MMORPG with boring tab-targeting dice-roll fake combat, that's for damn sure.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

Personally, whenever I play other RPGs like Dragon Age, or the Witcher (or most MMORPGs), for example, I always find myself wishing for more engaging, visceral, tactical combat like Skyrim has.

Faked combat is always SO boring.  Combat in those games feels like a chore, whereas in Skyrim I'm actually excited to get into a fight because it can be very unpredictable.

so confused how is TES combat more tactical than dragon's age?

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

Faked combat is always SO boring.  Combat in those games feels like a chore, whereas in Skyrim I'm actually excited to get into a fight because it can be very unpredictable.

so confused how is TES combat more tactical than dragon's age?

Because you actually have to use tactics in order to win a battle, ie: timing, maneuvering, use of environment, skill at aiming all comes into play, whereas Dragon Age is more about strategy, pausing the game and queueing up attacks on various characters.

That's how, people get the terms "tactics" and :strategy" confused all the time.

In modern war, strategy is an overall battle-plan, tactics are the moment-to-moment decisions on the field.

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by PsychoPigeon
    that combat system in a mmo would be awful. Mount&Blade Warband has the best melee combat system so far, fluid, responsive, just pure juice.

Pretty much hit it on the mark.

Although M&B Warbands multiplayer leaves a lot to be desired. So this might give me my melee PvP fix.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Just purchased off of Steam and downloading as I type this.

Thanks Entinerint for the review link.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

Gotta say, I have played a LOT of warband MP and Chivalry feels a lot more fluid, responsive and visceral. 

M&B has always been a bit more clunky but also more realistic to me.

I see M&B like ArmA and Chivalry like Battlefield.

And War of the Roses is like Gears of War (ie: terrible)