Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I HAD a confession, but now I am asking something else.

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by Foomerang  

Originally posted by GeezerGamer For a themepark or for an MMO or for an MMORPG, I really don't care. I don't think GW2 is great. I think it's decent. For most, I think you can say you got your money's worth. But even that's subjective. But it's not a great game. A great game keeps me comming back month after month. And even then that's not all there is to it. I sub and play Rift. I think it's the best of what's available. It's a good game. But is it great? I'm not sure I would say it is.
      I sub to Rift as well and I think its a decent mmo. I also think its too combat centric although dimensions are a huge step in the right direction. When I played SWG for 8 years, i never felt this need to make sure I was getting my money's worth. It was just satisfying enough knowing on some server was my city, my home, my stuff and so was everyone else's. Now I gotta make sure I feel like im getting the best bang for my buck. Entertain me. All I really need are the tools and systems to entertain myself. Thats a huge problem with todays mmos and why so many people talk about burnout or hitting that wall. The content needs be given back to the players. I want to be able to log on and be allowed to create. I want to log on and find out my friend's city is under attack. I want to log on and sit in a chair I made. Bleh. Im just aimlessly blathering now, sorry.
    is it? Really? It's not blathering when that's what you want in a game. People looked at the backlash GW2 recieved and say WTH people? You complained because MMOs didn't have this or that. GW2 comes along and gives you this or that, you guys don't know what you want!

BS! You just told me what you want and it's not available anymore. As far as my above statement, it assumes that what was delivered lived up to the promise. I'm sorry but being able to say you successfully delivered on a bunch of technical features off a checklist is not the same as delivering an experience.

@Pur, I think this idea that we have to open a negative statement with a positive stems from dealing with the white knights.

If you don't soften the blow upfront, the retaliation is harder on the back. LOL

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Foomerang Originally posted by GeezerGamer For a themepark or for an MMO or for an MMORPG, I really don't care. I don't think GW2 is great. I think it's decent. For most, I think you can say you got your money's worth. But even that's subjective. But it's not a great game. A great game keeps me comming back month after month. And even then that's not all there is to it. I sub and play Rift. I think it's the best of what's available. It's a good game. But is it great? I'm not sure I would say it is.
    I sub to Rift as well and I think its a decent mmo. I also think its too combat centric although dimensions are a huge step in the right direction. When I played SWG for 8 years, i never felt this need to make sure I was getting my money's worth. It was just satisfying enough knowing on some server was my city, my home, my stuff and so was everyone else's. Now I gotta make sure I feel like im getting the best bang for my buck. Entertain me. All I really need are the tools and systems to entertain myself. Thats a huge problem with todays mmos and why so many people talk about burnout or hitting that wall. The content needs be given back to the players. I want to be able to log on and be allowed to create. I want to log on and find out my friend's city is under attack. I want to log on and sit in a chair I made. Bleh. Im just aimlessly blathering now, sorry.
    No, you're not blathering.  Actually this is a very good post.  I actually have a very similar perspective.

Just be careful because I suspect the next hype wave is going throw the "sandbox" word around a lot.  I think it's going to lure many in.

Yeah I think this last wave was "dynamic content, objective based meaningful pvp, and personal story". This next wave looks like "player choice, sandbox content, and permanence". Gotta watch for the new buzzwords. Its like the music industry haha
  • stealthbrstealthbr Member UncommonPosts: 1,054
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

there's only so many games I can do this in till you make the realization it's just tedious and pointless.. true you could say this about playing any game. Point is all themeparks since wow have been more or less fundamentally the same the structure of the game is pretty much the same and honestly to me has gotten stale over the years.. GW2 at least is trying to mix things up and obviously not everyone will appreciate it.. i played 100s of warfronts in Rift to get tier 8 gear which at the time was the best.. but then what was there to do? run around ganking people in owpvp for what purpose? complete PVP rifts for what purpose?..

you just come to a point when you need more world structures like full exploration or political systems or ways to shape the world to want to play a game for very long periods of time.. GW2 doesn't solve this as it's been an issue in pretty much all themeparks.. for me I play them for fun and get the most out of the content and when I get bored I move on..

Of course, burnout will always occur, no matter which game you play. You can only have so much of something before it becomes mundane. The speed in which that occurs, however, greatly differs if the time you invest within a game actually brings about tangible effects to the gameplay. GW2 simply did not make use of such forms of hooking a player, and consequentially is suffering from players (understandably) complaining greatly about longevity. There simply is no compelling reason for them to play their characters when they do not feel their characters are developing.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    I'm still having fun in gw2 and i've no doubt that annoys people.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by stealthbr

there's only so many games I can do this in till you make the realization it's just tedious and pointless.. true you could say this about playing any game. Point is all themeparks since wow have been more or less fundamentally the same the structure of the game is pretty much the same and honestly to me has gotten stale over the years.. GW2 at least is trying to mix things up and obviously not everyone will appreciate it.. i played 100s of warfronts in Rift to get tier 8 gear which at the time was the best.. but then what was there to do? run around ganking people in owpvp for what purpose? complete PVP rifts for what purpose?..

you just come to a point when you need more world structures like full exploration or political systems or ways to shape the world to want to play a game for very long periods of time.. GW2 doesn't solve this as it's been an issue in pretty much all themeparks.. for me I play them for fun and get the most out of the content and when I get bored I move on..

Of course, burnout will always occur, no matter which game you play. You can only have so much of something before it becomes mundane. The speed in which that occurs, however, greatly differs if the time you invest within a game actually brings about tangible effects to the gameplay. GW2 simply did not make use of such forms of hooking a player, and consequentially is suffering from players (understandably) complaining greatly about longevity. There simply is no compelling reason for them to play their characters when they do not feel their characters are developing.

if that's how you feel then I agree but to me I always feel like im progressing my character the more traits I unlock the more sets of equipment I complete to fill out a build the and better I get at using my skills in the action oriented fast paced combat all leads to me progressing my character.. not sure why progressing HAS to just be stats or new skills.. for me in an action based game getting better against my enemies knowing how to counter differn't builds and win in differn't situations all are forms of progression and in this regard GW2 offers a lot for me.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by Enigmatus

GW2 has gotten kinda boring for me.

Before I continue, let me say this:

I never thought GW2 would be some kind of MMO revolution. I didn't think it was innovative or anything like that. I knew dynamic events weren't really dynamic.

I knew what I was getting, and I feel I did get my money's worth.

Now that that's out of the way...

I'm not 100% sure WHY I've gotten bored of it. It's become like WoW for me; I sorta wanna log in, but I'm not able to bring myself to do so.

It definitely wasn't community, since I generally almost NEVER talk to anyone unless I was really bored. I doubt it was SPvP or WvWvW, because I had never bothered to go in there in the first place.

I eventually came up with only one major reason I could think of that could have contributed to my feeling of ennui towards GW2.

Everything has a feeling of telling you what to do, but at the same time, it feels like there is no definite goal to work towards. The result is a feeling of pointlessness.

Unfortunately, I cannot figure out how to really explain this, and I really need to log off right now, so I'll add more stuff later.

Bingo.  This is how I feel as well.  I log in to play and have no real goal or reason to play.  Nothing to look forward to like I do in other MMOs.  This is what happens when rewards are taken away from game design IMO.  Or when the rewards don't match the effort as is the case here as well.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

It seems a bit too slick to me, its hard to put my finger on it, but i kinda wish the game was rougher round the edges.  what it does it does well, but it kinda lacks soul or something.  Its like over produced music. It also doesn't help for me personally that the pvp lacks rivalry, I need good enemies in my games.

Still it a lot bloody better than the other big mmos - like wow & swtor.

this issue is present in all themeparks.. whats the point of getting all that raid gear what do you do with it in raid based games? do more raids? whats the point in grinding out PVP gear in themeparks? stomp on lowbies? again it's really an issue with all themeparks in general.. it's basically themepark burnout..

meant ot quote part of the OP oops

it feels like there is no definite goal to work towards. The result is a feeling of pointlessness.

I have to disagree on this point.  Only due to actual experience with GW2 and other MMOs.  I always felt I was working toward something, even at level cap in Lotro, WoW, Rift, FFXI and so forth.  In GW2, I feel like I have beaten the game and have no real reason to progress, probably because there is NO progression in endgame.  It's just a static ending basically which is funny considering most of the game is dynamic.  I felt very let down in the longevity department of what is essentially a great fun game to play a character to level cap/map completion through at least once.

Originally posted by elocke

this issue is present in all themeparks.. whats the point of getting all that raid gear what do you do with it in raid based games? do more raids? whats the point in grinding out PVP gear in themeparks? stomp on lowbies? again it's really an issue with all themeparks in general.. it's basically themepark burnout..

it feels like there is no definite goal to work towards. The result is a feeling of pointlessness.

I have to disagree on this point.  Only due to actual experience with GW2 and other MMOs.  I always felt I was working toward something, even at level cap in Lotro, WoW, Rift, FFXI and so forth.  In GW2, I feel like I have beaten the game and have no real reason to progress, probably because there is NO progression in endgame.  It's just a static ending basically which is funny considering most of the game is dynamic.  I felt very let down in the longevity department of what is essentially a great fun game to play a character to level cap/map completion through at least once.

you can see my reply about this above but for me better stats and new skills isn't the only way to feel like you are progressing your character

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

I don't know i had lots of fun in daoc, planetside and coh for years.

They are themepark games.  Like GW they arent raiding for phatlewt games.

Its not the loot for me, though no doubt it will be for others, I just feels too refined, over polished if you like, hard to explain but thats why im starting to go off it.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Maybe but other ThemeParks atleast have a grind which gives you something to improve your char. In GW 2, once you got exotics, there is nothing to do to improve your character, none. 

Alot of people are saying bad things about gear grinding but remove it, like GW 2 did, and what do you have? Well nothing it appears.

Not saying gear grind is the only high end activity in MMOs but you cant remove it and replace it with nothing. Same with the trinity system, a lot of people dont like it, that is fine but again you cant remove it, replace it with nothing and think everything will be fine. It wont and GW 2 isn't.

Originally posted by Yamota

Maybe but other ThemeParks atleast have a grind which gives you something to improve your char. In GW 2, once you got exotics, there is nothing to do to improve your character, none. 

Alot of people are saying bad things about gear grinding but remove it, like GW 2 did, and what do you have? Well nothing it appears.

Not saying gear grind is the only high end activity in MMOs but you cant remove it and replace it with nothing. Same with the trinity system, a lot of people dont like it, that is fine but again you cant remove it, replace it with nothing and think everything will be fine. It wont and GW 2 isn't.

really can't understand why people can't grasp new skills and better stats are not the only way to feel you are progressing your character especially in an action oriented game where timing and positioning outweigh sheer numbers.. and also replaced the trinity with nothing? guess my support elem my CC heavy guardian and my DPS ranger just sit around doing nothing all day

really can't understand why people can't grasp new skills and better stats are not the only way to feel you are progressing your character especially in an action oriented game where timing and positioning outweigh sheer numbers.. and also replaced the trinity with nothing? guess my support elem my CC heavy guardian and my DPS ranger just sit around doing nothing all day

I said character progression, ofcourse you can progress the skills of you as a player but you can do that in Tetris and I am not playing Tetris, I am playing an RPG where progression of your character is a fundamental activity. I think your are mixing character progression with player progression, for me atleast, they are very different.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

You are massively overstating the case for the GW2 combat system there. It's not a bad system, but it really is not the quantum leap from typical (and typically attrocious) themepark combat systems that some seem to be implying.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

I said character progression, ofcourse you can progress the skills of you as a player but you can do that in Tetris and I am not playing Tetris, I am playing an RPG where progression of your character is a fundamental activity. I think your are mixing character progression with player progression, for me atleast, they are very different.

you have a ton of ways to customize your character through traits, sigils, runes, differn't weapons, utility skills being proficient in multiple builds and getting gear for each is plenty of progression imho for this type of game.. sure people want more and as  very new game I'm sure more will come but I don't feel gw2 lacks ways to feel like you are progressing your character this on top of skill progression in a action oriented game is much more satisfying for me than games like rift and wow especially in PVP. 

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

Badspock is an MMO burnout who needs to take an extended break or quit MMO gaming altogether. He has a very bad habit of  jumping on the hype bandwagon of " best game evar!!" for a month or two & calls people out who post anything negative for his game of the month.

Look at some of his SWToR posts, and now its the same for GW2. FFS find something you like to play and stick with it, if its not an MMO then move on to another game.

I personally am getting a bit bored with GW2 and will probably pick something else up for awhile and try it. I guess I just dont feel the need to tell the world my decision. Its a fucking game, not a life altering decision. Enjoy it or move on to something you do.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by Razperil

So you decided to jump on the bandwagon just like everyone else? Wow, what a sheep. In all honesty, do you really think anyone gives a crap? It seems that so many of you have the absurdness that just because you do not like a game, others will care. Do what others have said over and over again; stop playing! How more simple can it be?

I DIDN'T JUMP ON ANY BANDWAGON. I thought the game looked good and I wanted to play it. I got bored, but wasn't sure if I should state it or not until Badspock decided to do it. IS THAT SO WRONG?

Why do you assume that everyone who wants to make a statement about something is just a mindless sheep?

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I don't know i had lots of fun in daoc, planetside and coh for years.They are themepark games.  Like GW they arent raiding for phatlewt games.Its not the loot for me, though no doubt it will be for others, I just feels too refined, over polished if you like, hard to explain but thats why im starting to go off it.

I think maybe you mean it doesn't feel organic. Like a canned experience. Thats how swtor felt for me after a while. All of the systems are slick and trim and put in a pretty little package. The end result can sometimes feel disconnected. Similarly, TSW felt like that too where my character seemed to be running in front of a gorgeous backdrop. Raph Koster once talked about game devs being magicians and too often they display how they do their tricks. Do i like class specific instanced content? Sure. Do I want to see a red wall in front of a cave that says "this phase is for consulars only"? No. Do I like exploring? Of course. Do I need screen messages and achievements letting me know I explored an intended exploration spot? No.

Originally posted by elocke

you can see my reply about this above but for me better stats and new skills isn't the only way to feel like you are progressing your character

True, but with GW2 I truly feel as though all progression stops once I've hit 80 and 100% world map.  Like hitting a massive wall.  So they don't even offer an alternative to keep you going or striving for, at all.

Yeah, I agree with Yamota on this one.  I truly feel that my character progression hits full stop at 80/100%map/Full Exotics.  I want more progression systems and they don't have to be gear oriented. 

you have a ton of ways to customize your character through traits, sigils, runes, differn't weapons, utility skills being proficient in multiple builds and getting gear for each is plenty of progression imho for this type of game.. sure people want more and as  very new game I'm sure more will come but I don't feel gw2 lacks ways to feel like you are progressing your character this on top of skill progression in a action oriented game is much more satisfying for me than games like rift and wow especially in PVP. 

Customize is not the same as progress. My character wearing a different hat in game is not progressing or use a different weapon, which does not improve my character in any way, is not progressing. Change does not equal progress.

But hey, if you like that you can progress your character even after 200 hours of gaming time, good for you. A lot of us others dont feel like we do and since you are using such a broad definition of progress it becomes really subjective and pointless to debate.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by jdnewell

Badspock is an MMO burnout who needs to take an extended break or quit MMO gaming altogether. He has a very bad habit of  jumping on the hype bandwagon of " best game evar!!" for a month or two & calls people out who post anything negative for his game of the month.

Look at some of his SWToR posts, and now its the same for GW2. FFS find something you like to play and stick with it, if its not an MMO then move on to another game.

I personally am getting a bit bored with GW2 and will probably pick something else up for awhile and try it. I guess I just dont feel the need to tell the world my decision. Its a fucking game, not a life altering decision. Enjoy it or move on to something you do.

Always nice to welcome new members to MMORPG.com, where we discuss how we think and feel about MMORPG's and other games.....

Oh wait, you're not new..... just don't understand how it's done around here I guess.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Customize is not the same as progress. My character wearing a different hat in game is not progressing or use a different weapon, which does not improve my character in any way, is not progressing. Change does not equal progress.

But hey, if you like that you can progress your character even after 200 hours of gaming time, good for you. A lot of us others dont feel like we do and since you are using such a broad definition of progress it becomes really subjective and pointless to debate.

Some folks just aren't interested in actual character progression in terms of power, and GW2 is perfect for them.

I could see the title would not appeal to those who chase the carrot however, much as GW1 held little appeal either.

For once I managed to save myself 60 bucks.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Always nice to welcome new members to MMORPG.com, where we discuss how we think and feel about MMORPG's and other games.....

Oh wait, you're not new..... just don't understand how it's done around here I guess.

I understand how it works, maybe I am just tired of certain posters insulting others who feel differently about games. Then turning around and agreeing with the same people who were idiots, trolls, morons, ect just a few short months ago.

Posting your likes and dislikes about an MMO or a game is what IMO forums should be for. Not insulting others. So you are right I guess, maybe I dont know how it works around here on second thought.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

I understand how it works, maybe I am just tired of certain posters insulting others who feel differently about games. Then turning around and agreeing with the same people who were idiots, trolls, morons, ect just a few short months ago.

Posting your likes and dislikes about an MMO or a game is what IMO forums should be for. Not insulting others. So you are right I guess, maybe I dont know how it works around here on second thought.

But I didn't agree with anyone I argued with before. All I said was that the game got boring for me, and it took me a while to figure out why. I didn't want to say anything about it because I had a feeling in my gut that the people I argued with would twist my words around to fit their agenda and all around be an arrogant douche.