Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com will be down for maintenance beginning at midnight EST on Wednesday, August 31. Downtime is expected to last only a couple of hours.

How does one learn how to make an attack system?

mikecacklemikecackle City, ILPosts: 151Member

I want to create a combat emulator for one of my concepts. Now I am more forward in my design, I am stepping into developer territory, but can't seem to figure out if there is a particular logic to follow or study... How to go about my combat algorithm per se? Is there someplace you can see how others do it or read about how others have tried to do it? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• mikecacklemikecackle City, ILPosts: 151Member

And by combat system, I mean the core dice rolling features of the game..

Game calculates your armor this that and this, rolls a 30 sided die, to see if it hits based off defender defense.. etc etc etc.

• VrikaVrika FinlandPosts: 3,334Member Rare

You're looking for something like this? http://code.google.com/p/simulationcraft/

EDIT: On second tought, maybe that is far too complex to be of any practical use. /EDIT

• mmoskimmoski plymouthPosts: 282Member
    Originally posted by mikecackle
    I want to create a combat emulator for one of my concepts. Now I am more forward in my design, I am stepping into developer territory, but can't seem to figure out if there is a particular logic to follow or study... How to go about my combat algorithm per se? Is there someplace you can see how others do it or read about how others have tried to do it? Any help would be appreciated.  

I think the only logic to study here is to replicate what happens in reality, you may formulate simple concepts such as:

Attacker hits defender

damage to defender = (attackers strength + weapon strength) - (defenders toughness + defenders armour)

Other than that, look at RPG game books such D&D, BladeStorm etc.. they have intricate combat systems.

As everything comes down to numbers in computers games, basic visualisation could be programmed in a C/C++ console application, where you will get simple text and numerical outputs. From that you could move into fully visual concepts.

• LegacyGameLegacyGame Posts: 131Member Uncommon

What is it not meant to be? Make a list of that, then move on to the questions below.

What is the combat based on? Free Form Action / Soft Target Action / Locked Target Action / Real Time Turn Based / Frozen Time Turn Based / Shooting / Puzzle / Mixture (of which mixture)

What is the camera angle? Third Person Behind / Third Person Shoulder / Isometric / First Person 

What is the camera interaction? Smart Cam / Free Form / Fixed 

What is it trying to emulate? Reality? Fantasy? High Fantasy? Mixture?

What features of which games is it drawing from? From those put them together, can they be put together, is there synergy?

How is it meant to be controlled? Can it be mapped to a controller? Could it be condensed to a controller? Is a keyboard paramount?

How complex is it meant to be? What is so important about the complexity? Does it add depth or is it convoluted?

Why is it meant to be interesting? What does it do that hasn't been done as well or at all?

Is it single player? Multiplayer? Online? Massively Online?

You can't expect answers without asking questions first. When you answer all of this I'm sure people will be able to reference examples at length of what you can study and what parts specifically to take note of. If you don't take the visual aspects into account then study MUD's. 

• VrikaVrika FinlandPosts: 3,334Member Rare

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't notice this was necro /EDIT