Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall Unholy Wars: Skirmisher Role / Deadeye School

2»

Comments

• FluteFlute Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

Its amusing watching all the complaints / crying about Skirmishers being the new "OP mage" or whatever when we have seen only 1 of 4 sub-roles within Skirmisher, ..

Actually what we have is Skirmishers being given Puncture, a shot that mechanically is the same as the instant cast rays Aventurine said last month they were removing because they were overpowered.

So yes, Aventurine have Romnesia.  That is something the community has every right to be concerned about, because if the new game is to fix the flaws that plagued Darkfall 1.0, Aventurine putting the flawed elements back in is not going to end well.  Max damage AoE template anyone?  Remember what Darkfall 1.0 was like before they fixed that?  No thanks.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

This new version of DF still won't get me to return and give AV any more money, they've shown their true colors on where they stand with ethics. They as a company are dishonest  & shady with their intentions. You'd think they learn from DF with AOE's, now they add them to arrows too.  Tasos is infamous with misinformation to anybody who was around from the first two years of DF1. He has had the remainder of the DF community subbing for the last 2 years by making the wipe an uncertainty, then playing it down like they were trying to find a way to fit characters into the new game. On Nov 20th PS2 and DF UW are released, I know where I'm going.

They're now e-mailing those who've had DF1 accounts and unsubbed and removed the info from the account to put the info back on so they can do some perks and price discounts on the account. Which goes against their first statement of old DF1 accounts just need to sign back in just sub and not have to buy the client. Another ploy to get details of those they left and removed their information. They needs those peoples info to show those whom invested in DF UW.

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by IAmMMO

I still won't get me to return and give AV any more money, they've shown their true colors on where they stand with ethics. They as a company are dishonest  & shady with their intentions. Tasos is infamous with misinformation to anybody who was around from the first two years of DF1. He has had the remainder of the DF community subbing for the last 2 years by making the wipe an uncertainty, then playing it down like they were trying to find a way to fit characters into the new game. On Nov 20th PS2 and DF UW are released, I know where I'm going.

i dont see proof of his attention

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666
    Originally posted by Flute
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

Its amusing watching all the complaints / crying about Skirmishers being the new "OP mage" or whatever when we have seen only 1 of 4 sub-roles within Skirmisher, ..

Actually what we have is Skirmishers being given Puncture, a shot that mechanically is the same as the instant cast rays Aventurine said last month they were removing because they were overpowered.

So yes, Aventurine have Romnesia.  That is something the community has every right to be concerned about, because if the new game is to fix the flaws that plagued Darkfall 1.0, Aventurine putting the flawed elements back in is not going to end well.  Max damage AoE template anyone?  Remember what Darkfall 1.0 was like before they fixed that?  No thanks.

Correction: This spell you're talking about is nothing like rays. Its not instant, you cant cycle it between 3 other rays + impale again and you can predict it before it comes out.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    Originally posted by Raxeon

I still won't get me to return and give AV any more money, they've shown their true colors on where they stand with ethics. They as a company are dishonest  & shady with their intentions. Tasos is infamous with misinformation to anybody who was around from the first two years of DF1. He has had the remainder of the DF community subbing for the last 2 years by making the wipe an uncertainty, then playing it down like they were trying to find a way to fit characters into the new game. On Nov 20th PS2 and DF UW are released, I know where I'm going.

Then you've not taken the time to go read all his old post started from 3 years ago onwards. Good day to you.

Originally posted by Raxeon

Then you've not taken the time to go read all his old post started from 3 years ago onwards. Good day to you.

plans change just like i told someone i would pick them up but my car wouldnt start. i guess i had some attentions to lie to that person didnt i

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    attention or intention? you got me confused there
  • NacarioNacario Member UncommonPosts: 222
    Subjective opinion inc. While I do understand original Df players complaints about 3rd person only, I feel that it is spot on. IMO mmorpgs must also have a focus on the rpg, not just the mmo aspect as u see in planetside with fps combat and different systems, where there can be more lore elements in mmorpgs. In this comes the tiny bit of 3rd person perspective, like how you get a better view of your character and the gear. This alone could very well appeal to more and new playergroups, similarities with other Mmorpgs, while at the same time be a unique sandbox. Now im not stating this is the onøy way to go, but as a whole it doesnt neccesairly dumb combat down as there are other changes involved. Like prvention of scripts, once you had thiis it made combat easier. Everyone could chose all roles and abilities at the same time, but really everyone where playing distinct similar choices due to flavor of the year setup, making everyone the same anyway.

I welcome this, and with more graphical polish it has potential to grow.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by DAS1337
    Originally posted by Hancakes
    Originally posted by Realbigdeal
    At the end of the video, the 2 fighters are getting killed by an arrow that farted on them. The effects are so lame.

The "lame" effects would have what impact on gameplay?  image   FFS, most of that crap is turned off/down in large scale fights anyway.

Im sorry, not enough fluff for you?  

Your comment makes no sense to me, other than to try and look cool in front of people who don't care about your opinion.

Immersion is a large factor in a game that is supposed to be a sandbox.  In fact, immersion is a big reason why any game is successful.

Then how do you explain the success of WoW, one of the most nonimmersive MMOs that exist?

Originally posted by DavisFlight

At the end of the video, the 2 fighters are getting killed by an arrow that farted on them. The effects are so lame.

The "lame" effects would have what impact on gameplay?  image   FFS, most of that crap is turned off/down in large scale fights anyway.

Your comment makes no sense to me, other than to try and look cool in front of people who don't care about your opinion.

Immersion is a large factor in a game that is supposed to be a sandbox.  In fact, immersion is a big reason why any game is successful.

Then how do you explain the success of WoW, one of the most nonimmersive MMOs that exist?

Wow had perfect timing when it came to launch date, as well as addictive systems such as lore and gameplay. There are vast differences between amounts of mmos today than competition back then. The game also run easily on lower pcs.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by ayronamic
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Wow had perfect timing when it came to launch date, as well as addictive systems such as lore and gameplay. There are vast differences between amounts of mmos today than competition back then. The game also run easily on lower pcs.

Right, I have it worked out WHY it was a success. But don't pretend competition wasn't stiff. Just the casual market hadn't been tapped yet. In any case, just about every AAA MMO of the last 8 years hasn't been immersive AT ALL.

Maybe Vanguard was the closest one.

Competition is a valid point. Even many youngsters at the time didnt know what an mmorpg was.. Just look at vanilla and the amount of time it took to lvl up. It was acceptable as cunsumers had different or little expectations and demands. Many had an epic feel which strenghtened the addictiveness. This could also be as result of wow learning of the prev mmos flaws and offer improvements. Add this with what I originally stated :)
  • nileqnileq Member Posts: 476
    Originally posted by Consensus

3rd person is dumbing down the game somewhat I agree. as it makes it harder to sneakup/sticky back. but the game was never fully 1st person anyway, so personally I dont mind too much. plus not forcing people into 1st person will make the game have alot more mass appeal.

And all the people worrying there will be no 1st person option are being stupid.

I am pretty sure that 3:d person will be optional, and it will be very close and only give a very slight advantage to seeing behind you/over hill, and seeing over a hill you could do in DF1 aswell, just bring out your sword.

I have nothing clever to say.

• OnigodOnigod Member UncommonPosts: 756
    Originally posted by Suraknar

Are there any videos explaining new mechanics?

Are they adding Classes? Or are they adding professions? Like SWG? Is it still asystem based on skills the player chooses for their character?

This video seems to have like a Class of Squirmisher which gets access to certain skills...

So many questions already answered.

Your character can still have whatever you want and can do whatever you want it to do without being forced into anything and always being able to change something back.  that said.. a simple look on the darfall site (blog) answers all your questions.

• gekidogekido Member UncommonPosts: 66

I only have one major concern.  Aim assistance (aimbots).

The DF1 community has already been using pixel detection in regular combat for a long time.  Insta cast rays really made it more apparent.  With the new system, it would almost seem easier to accomplish.

• ArnoagnsArnoagns Member Posts: 100

I think it's comical people are flaming those that have issues with the graphics. Those are the only things we can gauge right now as we haven't seen any legitimate, extended gameplay in action. I think me and many others who have problems with the poor animations (same animations as in DF) would still be perfectly content if it has great gameplay.

It's just disconcerting, the graphics themselves are improved slightly - a bit more rounded and smoother edges. But the animations are generally the same, that quick/poorly emoted kind of motion that looks like a series of spazzes than the outcome of motioncapture technology.

AV has a poor reputation now, I hope they fix it with the release of DF:UO, but so far it's all looking like Darkfall 0.2 .

edit: And the whole carebear argument is a bit old. In my experience 'hardcore' players are the most whiniest and fragile consumers I'd ever seen. The idea that any level of toughness and hardskin can be gauged within a video game is nonsense. Casual players are simply people who have other things going on or aren't that interested in video games to warrant it a serious hobby. I have nothing AGAINST those who use gaming as a sole hobby (it's as valid as any other) but let's not pretend hardcore is some hyper-intelligent and resilient mindset.

Carebear is a fallback term so people can invalidate a pretty valid opinion. Otherwise, they'd have to realize the fact that there's more to the game than the few hardcore points they cherry picked.

Originally posted by Arnoagns
    In my experience 'hardcore' players are the most whiniest and fragile consumers I'd ever seen. The idea that any level of toughness and hardskin can be gauged within a video game is nonsense. Casual players are simply people who have other things going on or aren't that interested in video games to warrant it a serious hobby. I have nothing AGAINST those who use gaming as a sole hobby (it's as valid as any other) but let's not pretend hardcore is some hyper-intelligent and resilient mindset.
    Well it's quite obvious that "hardcore" or players that actually care do give more feedback than certain casual players, that simply do not care nor know the how-to. You're just being to generic when pointing out at the groups, seemes more like you had some experiences with "extremists" giving you the wrong impression, as an MMO and the devs need their feedback - and from who will that be. There will always be certain bright minds sticking out, and in some cases "hardcore" or players who dwelve into a certain activity will have more experience than others - this in itself isnt considered skills of hyper-intelligence, not to mention this is rarely required.
  • MelkrowMelkrow Member Posts: 278

Originally posted by psykobilly
    Originally posted by Consensus I think most people agree the flashy spell effects for warriors and archers are lame and annoying, makes everyone look like magicians. but this video is still awesome! much better than the last one. watch in HD full screen you can see alot; the bow reticule gets less accurate when moving compared to being still (crosshair wobble) the circular health bars of enmies around reticule 3rd person archery means DF:UW will be completely 3rd or 1st person optional. generally sweet ui, especially the minimap.
    The effects are lame and annoying you are right.  Woud really like to see sprinting archery.

Personally I think 3rd peson is the carebear route, and would prefer full 1st person so there can be true stealth instead of being able to look around corners and over hills without being seen.  The wow-crowd loves its 3rd person though.

Right... because in DF 1.0 people didn't take out their melee wpn to look around the corners and over the hills.

Playing: Darkfall Unholy Wars
    Played: Darkfall, EVE, AoC, Ryzom, Ragnarok Online, GW2, PS2, Secret World, WOW, City Of Heroes/Villains, Champion Online.
  • Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Looks like I may be able to give it a try since there's no first person view.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075
    Originally posted by gekido

I only have one major concern.  Aim assistance (aimbots).

The DF1 community has already been using pixel detection in regular combat for a long time.  Insta cast rays really made it more apparent.  With the new system, it would almost seem easier to accomplish.

please explain what you mean. df1 had health bars show up on crosshair, how is the new game any different? if anything circular health bars would make pixel detection harder?

My blog: image

Originally posted by Tayah
    Looks like I may be able to give it a try since there's no first person view.

im sure there is but by option

• RingsideRingside Member UncommonPosts: 249

people need to understand that the showcase videos are comming from their blogs with introductions and explanations. Some people here making statetements just as if they werent aware of what AV said when they posted those videos.

exemple: archery with no arc....... This will be like this only for ONE specific shot

regular bow shots remain the same

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    although it doesn't show much i think the movement looks pretty fluid an natural... robotic and unnartural animations really kill games for me but looks pretty good here

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

So..all Deadeyes in UW are left handers? :)