Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Elder Scrolls Nothing Like GW2

Comments

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

Thank god, i don't think i could handle another great looking MMO that turns out to be a soul less husk.

Well you know what they say about opinions.

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

So in spite of several features and mechanics taken directly from GW2 which NEVER existed in any TES game, youre still going to stick with its just like TES and nothing like GW2.... Stuff being put in that never existed in a game series somehow makes it just like the rest of the games in the series and completely unlike the game which they took those features from? Your logic intrigues me.

What is your obsession with DEs anyway? You keep talking about it as if we havent known from the start that TESO was going to have standard questing instead of DEs. You bring it up once again in reply to my post which didnt once mention DEs or quests. I would also like to know how running to a guy with a ! over his head, clicking him, then clicking "Accept", then going about doing pretty much the same thing you were doing in GW2 (killing stuff, collecting stuff, etc) somehow makes the game have so much more of a soul and be less mind numbing.

Im looking forward to the game too (now that it isnt turning out to be a complete WoW clone like they originally said), but pretending its not like GW2 in any aspect whatsoever just because the game isnt exactly the same as GW2 in other areas is just plain silly.

Skyrim does have random dynamic events going on in locations. Unlike GW2 it's not always the same DE going on at the same location (I know the size of the DE is smaller in Skyrim but they are there).

NPC's in Skyrim don't have "!" above their heads and I believe ESO doesn't.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by immodium

So in spite of several features and mechanics taken directly from GW2 which NEVER existed in any TES game, youre still going to stick with its just like TES and nothing like GW2.... Stuff being put in that never existed in a game series somehow makes it just like the rest of the games in the series and completely unlike the game which they took those features from? Your logic intrigues me.

What is your obsession with DEs anyway? You keep talking about it as if we havent known from the start that TESO was going to have standard questing instead of DEs. You bring it up once again in reply to my post which didnt once mention DEs or quests. I would also like to know how running to a guy with a ! over his head, clicking him, then clicking "Accept", then going about doing pretty much the same thing you were doing in GW2 (killing stuff, collecting stuff, etc) somehow makes the game have so much more of a soul and be less mind numbing.

Im looking forward to the game too (now that it isnt turning out to be a complete WoW clone like they originally said), but pretending its not like GW2 in any aspect whatsoever just because the game isnt exactly the same as GW2 in other areas is just plain silly.

Skyrim does have random dynamic events going on in locations. Unlike GW2 it's not always the same DE going on at the same location (I know the size of the DE is smaller in Skyrim but they are there).

NPC's in Skyrim don't have "!" above their heads and I believe ESO doesn't.

It may not be an actually !, they might use a different symbol, but they have confirmed it is standard WoW/EQ style (basically the same as your static quests in Skyrim) questing, not DEs. Even the public dungeons consist of grabbing quests from static NPCs, no dynamics. Thats kind of a shame to me considering what theyre doing with the dungeons themselves, the lack of dynamics feels like they sort of stopped halfway through making something awesome.

I know those types of events exist in Skyrim and that they dont use !, they use an upside triangle thing instead. But we're not talking Skyrim. The seeming lack of any sort of dynamic events (like the stuff you see in Skyrim) is kind of a turn off. It would be a bit more difficult to implement in an MMO but it would be kind of cool for them to add some of those things and have them occur for different players in different places (vs GW2 style DEs always occuring in the same place) adding a bit more variety on top of the standard quests.

• LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by Brenelael
    Originally posted by halflife25
    When people say TESO is more like GW2 they mean that it is deviating from old themepark model. But it is true that TESO is not your typical WOW clone as haters wanteed us to believe. TESO is more like Skyrim..i have been hearing that a lot from those who tried alpha and it is great in my book because i love Skyrim.

It's not what "Haters want you to believe" it's how the devs themselves described the game during the initial announcement phase. Since then they went into hiding and have changed the game a lot because of the huge backlash from the community after that initial release of info. When the info was first released it was described by the devs themselves as sort of a WoW/DAoC hybrid with a TES paint job. Since then they have reworked most of the major game mechanics to make it more TES like.

Bren

This^

The TESO I'm hearing about now & the TESO I've been hearing about months ago are totally different mechanic wise =)

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    threads like these are ridiculous these are themepark MMOs they are going to have many similarities..  you are going to go out and kill things you are going to go out and find things you are going to go out and help people with things. You are going to use skills you are going to do solo and group content you are going to fight larger monsters with other people helping you.. anyways any game of the same genre and especially the same sub genre is going to be "alike" in many ways.. i also found the fact you could join multiple guilds in TESO very similar to GW2 although I haven't seen the full features lists of how guilds will work yet.. read some good things about TESO so ill be looking into it.. i hold of my excitiment on games till i get to see gameplay video and usually test the game for myself though..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    When people say TESO is more like GW2 they mean that it is deviating from old themepark model. But it is true that TESO is not your typical WOW clone as haters wanteed us to believe. TESO is more like Skyrim..i have been hearing that a lot from those who tried alpha and it is great in my book because i love Skyrim.

It's not what "Haters want you to believe" it's how the devs themselves described the game during the initial announcement phase. Since then they went into hiding and have changed the game a lot because of the huge backlash from the community after that initial release of info. When the info was first released it was described by the devs themselves as sort of a WoW/DAoC hybrid with a TES paint job. Since then they have reworked most of the major game mechanics to make it more TES like.

Bren

So what exactly is different? What mechanics have changed since they first announced it? Do you have sources and a list of the two. I thought it was more along the lines of people jumping the gun and assuming things rather than waiting to get the facts, but let me know if I am wrong. Show me where it has changed.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Agree with op

It's instanced for a start
    Originally posted by stevebmbsqd

Bren

So what exactly is different? What mechanics have changed since they first announced it? Do you have sources and a list of the two. I thought it was more along the lines of people jumping the gun and assuming things rather than waiting to get the facts, but let me know if I am wrong. Show me where it has changed.

Theres a link in the op to player testimonies about how it feels more like an Elder Scrolls game than a WoW clone.

Theres also a player testimony on Youtube claiming the same.

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448

Bren

Theres a link in the op to player testimonies about how it feels more like an Elder Scrolls game than a WoW clone.

I realize that. I was just asking the person why he assumed it was like a WoW clone. When I read the initial release I didn't think that, but I know a lot of people did. Now people are claiming they have changed everything so I am asking for specifics....

• SoliloquySoliloquy Member CommonPosts: 128

Just a friendly reminder that, as the discussion evolves, people should be constructive, respect other's opinions and argue their points in an intelligent and non baiting manner.

Bren

I realize that. I was just asking the person why he assumed it was like a WoW clone. When I read the initial release I didn't think that, but I know a lot of people did. Now people are claiming they have changed everything so I am asking for specifics....

Ahh, ok.

Have only really followed the game since a week ago so don't know what the first incarnation of the build was like.

What I am gathering from newer information is that combat mechanics are very similiar to TES games. You have magicka, stamina and health. Choose to level one when level up. When you do you gain some passive skills depeding on what you picked.

Any class can wear anything. Use any weapon also.

Exploration is similar. Find a dungeon explore/loot it then leave. Maybe a quest/quest chain in there, maybe not.

Heard something about live events in game. Not to sure if that was for the "press" only.

No info on crafting yet.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Bren

The initial way the game was described it had tab targeting and auto attack for one. The devs actually went as far as to directly compare the mechanics to WoW in more than one interview. Look up the original dev videos from a few months back if you don't want to take my word for it. They went as far as to say that TES combat mechanics wouldn't work in a MMO. The only thing that survived mechanics wise from the original release of info is the limited hotbar. The left and right button attacks are new as well as in the original info they said you could tie different skill attacks to those buttons. There has been much more that has changed as well. Like I said before don't take my word for it go and watch those early dev interviews and see for yourself what we almost got instead of what they are showing now.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    I think if Bethesda is putting their name on it it's going to be good. They have'nt failed us yet, one of the few developers IMO that still has something going for them. The big question is if it will be something you can continue playing past the first few months, which is something most mmo's have failed at recently. If they have a competitive, long term, end game...this will be a winner. 
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Agree with op

It's instanced for a start

Which is instanced? GW2 or TESO?

Theyre both instanced, but youre saying it as if you agree with him that theyre nothing alike because 1 is instanced and the other isnt.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by ShakyMo Agree with op It's instanced for a start

Theyre both instanced, but youre saying it as if you agree with him that theyre nothing alike because 1 is instanced and the other isnt.

He was probably referring to TESO as an instanced game as it utilizes phasing in order to enable people to see the results of the quests they complete.

In any case, calling either of them instanced is a good way to show that you don't completely understand how instancing works.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by Alot

He was probably referring to TESO as an instanced game as it utilizes phasing in order to enable people to see the results of the quests they complete.

In any case, calling either of them instanced is a good way to show that you don't completely understand how instancing works.

This is one of those topics where people have their own interpretations.

Other day i w s arguing with the guy who said any MMO which has loading screens is completely instanced world. Each to his own.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo Member Posts: 662

I believe TESO will have more tactical combat than GW2 and more quests mixed with events. I've always wanted an elder scrolls online world.  

I've heard alot of whining on this forum on GW2 and how disappointing it was after 1 month. This is how it works with all mmorpgs, people rush through the game and only think about reaching max level and complete all quests, get the best gear as fast they can. The problem lies with the player not the game. I still have fun in GW2, i don't have World completion only 35% and 6 alts. If you are bored with a game, play another game and then in a few weeks/months you will eventually come back to the old game and enjoy it. Please stop blame the games, blame yourselves.

I understand perfectly well how instancing works. Both of them have instances, that is undeniable. I took it as he was trying to say TESO was a seamless open world or something.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

I understand perfectly well how instancing works. Both of them have instances, that is undeniable. I took it as he was trying to say TESO was a seamless open world or something.

Is there some official information i missed about TESO? i know it is an open world but where can i get updated with this seamless or not info? i am not even sure about world design right now other than that it is an open world.

Is there some official information i missed about TESO? i know it is an open world but where can i get updated with this seamless or not info? i am not even sure about world design right now other than that it is an open world.

Not sure about the entire world. From what theyve described areas will be zoned off, but Im not sure as far as loading screens or not. From what theyve described it doesnt sound seamless. Theyve talked about their public dungeons which you need to load into as well. There is also the whole multiple "channel" thing going on with everyone on a mega server but populations being split into channels sort of like the overflow in GW2 but with multiple versions of it. No mention yet of what the limits will be per channel.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo

I believe TESO will have more tactical combat than GW2 and more quests mixed with events. I've always wanted an elder scrolls online world.  

I've heard alot of whining on this forum on GW2 and how disappointing it was after 1 month. This is how it works with all mmorpgs, people rush through the game and only think about reaching max level and complete all quests, get the best gear as fast they can. The problem lies with the player not the game. I still have fun in GW2, i don't have World completion only 35% and 6 alts. If you are bored with a game, play another game and then in a few weeks/months you will eventually come back to the old game and enjoy it. Please stop blame the games, blame yourselves.

I didn't rush to 80 nor did I rush to get the best gear.  I'm just losing intreset.  GW2 has tremendous potential and is a good game, combat is fun and the lore is pretty good.  GW2 has a lot of great concepts but they didn't finish em to it's full potential.

Home instance was a let down, your race personal story was like a teaser used in betas and is broken up bits and pieces if you do it at level, cross profession combos are sorta a pain to pull off as both have to time their skills right which is just too much hassle (knowing what professions can do what, knowing what combo field is there, knowing which of your skills will do a useful combo are just a bit overboard in calculation), major DEs are a tremoundous let down when your in a zerg enviroment or how aggrivating it is when champions will 1-2 shot you no matter how well one can dodge not to mention it's very static. 

Then there is the whole repairs debate and how dungeons are just not worth the repair cost nor about the ridiculous amount of grinding it takes for legendary iterms nor how DRs are a slap in the face to people who want to work on their legendary items.

A week ago I had written off ESO as a "meh" MMO who are trying to cash in on an IP but from what I hear from reviewers is that ESO is what GW2 lacks in.  Real exploration, variety of quests that are not kill this or gather that, real tactical teamwork combination, a real story.  I jsut hope that they will do player housing

People aren't whining because they rushed through content but are seeing the game for what it truely is and the "oooo shiney" effect is wearing off.  GW2 is still a value as one can play whenever they feel like and a great game for inbetween times of patches or games.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Gw2 has a persistent zoned world (well except for when it does overflow)

TESO runs multiple INSTANCES of each zone, even the pvp zone. TESO is and instanced game like swtor, Aoc and tsw, rather than a zoned game like wow or gw2.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by GreenishBlue
    like Skyrim if you play in that province? I don't see TESO to be Skyrim 2; TESO has some GW2 and other WoW clones elements; I think many will be dissapointed

I never liked Skyrim nor Wow,so don't want to see anything like either.

I want to see NON linear and a developer that can create/design,not just copy.

Physx? Destructive surfaces? interaction? will this game have anything other than a world to wander around doing the exact same thing i was doing in my last game?How about team work to do quests,and by that i don't mean holding each others hand,maybe 2 players go in one direction and 2 the other,why does every game have to copy each other?

What i see right now is a ton of MMORPG's that are empty shells,then the ONLY change is a new set of textures.The main games are extremely shallow,nothing more than a push to end level and 99% of the time,done with linear questing ,i want my adventure to fel like a Role playing adventure from level 1>end.I don't want level 1 to be 3 kills and i am level 2 that is just stupid gaming.

I have played Elder scrolls and to be honest ,i am expecting nothing from this developer.If they can surprise me i will be jumping out my chair for joy and more than willing to give them my money.I want to wander into a game and feel like the creator/producer put some real thought into the game.I don't want to feel like i hand my tickets over and jump onto a linear ride.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

Sounds like another murdering of a great singleplayer series to me.

My blog: image

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Consensus

Sounds like another murdering of a great singleplayer series to me.

Pretty much.