Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I dislike the fact the game limits 6skills max on action bar

Comments

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Rimmersman
    Originally posted by halflife25
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

I am not a big fan of skill restrictions like this in MMO. I didn't like it in Guild Wars1.

What bothers me, is that TESO will have weapon skills as well as special class skills. But all of these suppose to go on a limited 6 slot action bar.

I much prefer the GW2 method, which gave extra slots for weapon skills, and gave slots for players to make something more unique.

Really hope the developers can make the 6slot system fun, since even in GW2's spammy limited action bar system, it gets boring fast.

Heh and the purists scoff at the idea of having a hotbar in the first place.

I love a limited hotbar like was implemented in GW2, TSW, and GW1.  It forces choice onto the players instead of this crapfest of a billion hotbar slots like in WoW, Rift or other games.

It is not same as GW2. Only thing same is fewer skills on hotbar. In TESO you can use and swap skills according to your choice where as in GW2 your weapon skills are fixed.

Exactly lol, some people need to actually listen to what the devs and the people who have actually played the game have said.

Repeat after me GW2 fanatics ..TESO is not gw2, TESO is not GW2, now tap those heals together.

Meanwhile you fail to read the words that were still on your screen from quoting as you replied.

He said he likes a limited hotbar like in GW2, TSW, and GW1. As in, you have a small number of skills usable at one time instead of multiple rows of 10-12 hotkeys. Just like in GW2, you cannot freely change your skills around mid-combat, it has to be done out of combat, which forces you to choose your loadout ahead of time.

He did not say "This is exactly the same as GW2". Do you know the difference between similar and exactly the same?

Repeat after me people obsessed with GW2 while claiming to hate it and in denial of features from it being used in TESO... TESO has several features similar to GW2, TESO has several features similar to GW2, now tap those HEELS (not heals) together.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,061
    Originally posted by muffins89
    i played a few hundred hours of oblivion and skyrim and all i did was swing my sword.  6 abilitys sounds like too many.

^This... I was wondering when ES ever even had action bars? I only remember being able to right click or left click for attacks.... So OP must not be one of those that want the MMO to stay true to the single player games.

Originally posted by Emeraq
    i played a few hundred hours of oblivion and skyrim and all i did was swing my sword.  6 abilitys sounds like too many.

^This... I was wondering when ES ever even had action bars? I only remember being able to right click or left click for attacks.... So OP must not be one of those that want the MMO to stay true to the single player games.

While it didnt have an actual hotbar, you did have menus for picking your skills / spells. But those menus also stopped the game while open. Wouldnt exactly work well in an MMO...

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

I am not a big fan of skill restrictions like this in MMO. I didn't like it in Guild Wars1.

What bothers me, is that TESO will have weapon skills as well as special class skills. But all of these suppose to go on a limited 6 slot action bar.

I much prefer the GW2 method, which gave extra slots for weapon skills, and gave slots for players to make something more unique.

Really hope the developers can make the 6slot system fun, since even in GW2's spammy limited action bar system, it gets boring fast.

I love a limited hotbar like was implemented in GW2, TSW, and GW1.  It forces choice onto the players instead of this crapfest of a billion hotbar slots like in WoW, Rift or other games.

It is not same as GW2. Only thing same is fewer skills on hotbar. In TESO you can use and swap skills according to your choice where as in GW2 your weapon skills are fixed.

Exactly lol, some people need to actually listen to what the devs and the people who have actually played the game have said.

Repeat after me GW2 fanatics ..TESO is not gw2, TESO is not GW2, now tap those heals together.

Meanwhile you fail to read the words that were still on your screen from quoting as you replied.

He said he likes a limited hotbar like in GW2, TSW, and GW1. As in, you have a small number of skills usable at one time instead of multiple rows of 10-12 hotkeys. Just like in GW2, you cannot freely change your skills around mid-combat, it has to be done out of combat, which forces you to choose your loadout ahead of time.

He did not say "This is exactly the same as GW2". Do you know the difference between similar and exactly the same?

Reapeat after me people obsessed with GW2 while claiming to hate it and in denial of features from it being used in TESO... TESO has several features similar to GW2, TESO has several features similar to GW2, now tap those HEELS (not heals) together.

+1 reading comprehension ftw

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Originally posted by Emeraq

I don't want a ton of abilities but we do have to keep in mind that spells are a type of ability.  Even Skyrim had power attacks with melee weapons executed by holding the attack mouse button and moving forward, to the side or backwards.  I can't say that I like the terms elder scroll and action bar together - in essence all they are doing is calling moving stuff around and calling it something different.

I guess that also depends on what kind of abilities they add and how they give us access to them.  Personally, action bars don't bother me as bad as going back to 1-9 hot keys.  I want other ways to use our abilities that is more related to TES.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    The limited hotbar is the one thing that has me interested in TESO. I have never liked the rows of hotbars in the WoW-trend MMOs. It is one reason I was never able to get into WoW. I even think Guild Wars 2 has too many when you consider weapon swapping and dodge on top of the ten skills.
  • fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

I used to think I will like small number of skills in mmorpg after some mmorpg's have like 40+ skills, but I was proven otherwise after playing GW2 and TSW.

I prefer many skills ways rather than GW2 / TSW solutions.

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

Thems the breaks kid.

A ton of skill bars and the need for macros wasn't fun for a lot of people. The top video games for the last 10 years has offered better game systems than mouse clicking rows of icons.

MMOs are growing and you should be happy.

a yo ho ho

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520
    When you're forced to macro skills just to keep a game playable, or forced to buy special hardware because a normal keyboard isn't good enough to deal with 40+ skills, then that's bad game design in my opinion. If the game was turn based I could see it, but fuck I can't stand playing games where I have to micro-manage a giant hotbar full of skills. GW2 and TSW are on the right track and I'm looking forward to more games innovating away from giant hotbars full of skills.
  • revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464

Sorry to burst your bubble but the skill bar works exactly like GW2 and the same goes to the guy you quoted who is dead wrong. You have 2 FIXED weapon skills, 3 skills of your choice and 1 ultimate (also called elite in GW2). This is ok for me because I really the combat in GW2 but do not try to convice yourself otherwise.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by revy66

Sorry to burst your bubble but the skill bar works exactly like GW2 and the same goes to the guy you quoted who is dead wrong. You have 2 FIXED weapon skills, 3 skills of your choice and 1 ultimate (also called elite in GW2). This is ok for me because I really the combat in GW2 but do not try to convice yourself otherwise.

The word here is exactly and since it is not exactly like GW2 where all your weapon skils on hot bar are fixed you are just contradicting yourself. You can't swap even a single weapon skill in GW2. but in TESO you can swap your weapon skills. How the hell is that 'exact'...or you have your own personal dicitionary for english words?

The word here is exactly and since it is not exactly like GW2 where all your weapon skils on hot bar are fixed you are just contradicting yourself. You can't swap even a single weapon skill in GW2. but in TESO you can swap your weapon skills. How the hell is that 'exact'...or you have your own personal dicitionary for english words?

Can you even read what I said two times in this thread already? You cannot swap your weapon skills at all. They are predetermined according to the weapon type you are holding like in GW2.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

Can you even read what I said two times in this thread already? You cannot swap your weapon skills at all. They are predetermined according to the weapon type you are holding like in GW2.

Can you link that, I've not read anything about the first 2 skills being locked at all, infact from what ive read the 1-6 abilities are tied to class not weapon, the 2 weapon abilities are tied to left mouse (click for light attack and hold down for heavy) and even those can be swapped out

"As you achieve combat success using a particular type of weapon, you gain experience in the associated weapon tree. As your weapon expertise grows this unlocks alternative light and heavy attacks, as well as upgrading to improved ranks of existing abilities."

Quote from here

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

i personally think that each class should have its own unique interface based on how the class is played or at the very least each role should have its own interface.

few buttons are great for action combat but it falls apart when your talking about support based classes. I would much rather see completely unique class based interfaces

Originally posted by deakon

Can you link that, I've not read anything about the first 2 skills being locked at all, infact from what ive read the 1-6 abilities are tied to class not weapon, the 2 weapon abilities are tied to left mouse (click for light attack and hold down for heavy) and even those can be swapped out

"As you achieve combat success using a particular type of weapon, you gain experience in the associated weapon tree. As your weapon expertise grows this unlocks alternative light and heavy attacks, as well as upgrading to improved ranks of existing abilities."

Quote from here

Nowhere does it say they can be swapped out, it can mean anything from directional attacks, movement + attacks, unlocking the ability to hold down the button for an alternate attack or something like that. In this article from IGN they also state the first 2 attacks change according to your weapon.

• AtaakaAtaaka Member UncommonPosts: 213

<nods>

I do not enjoy being limited. What a waste of resources. There are some things that players do that make the character personal and almost unique. Much of this has to do with ability to pull out the 'kitchen sink' and simply bash the hell out of something where all other choices have failed.

GW2, for instance, where a ranger has switchable in-combat skill choices (as does every class) is still limiting my option to conquer things around me when the going gets too tough for the twelve skills available. I'm not fond of thinking, "Dang! I wish I had that other skill from the other weapon that could easily fit the skill set of the current weapons."

Tie my hands and bound my speech! I wouldn't feel less restricted.

Ataaka

-Sale on kictchen sinks on Keinig server(ficticious server), 750g each.

• deakondeakon Member Posts: 583

Quote from here

Nowhere does it say they can be swapped out, it can mean anything from directional attacks, movement + attacks, unlocking the ability to hold down the button for an alternate attack or something like that. In this article from IGN they also state the first 2 attacks change according to your weapon.

That IGN article is from may which was a completely different build that had a more traditional mmo combat system (whch everyone screamed "wow clone!" at), the one i posted is from last weeks press event

here's another quote from the same site

"In terms of equipment, I predominately stuck to a sword and shield fighting style with heavy armor for defense. My own power attack provided a short duration buff to my physical resistance which I later had the option to replace with an offensive snare"

and tbh the original quote does say that you can change both light and heavy attacks aswell as upgrade your existing ones, your light and heavy attacks are assigned to your left mouse and not your action bar

and here's another quote that clarifies the combat system a bit

"Left clicking activates your basic melee attack, while holding the left mouse button charges a power attack. Power attacks do not cost Stamina to use, however they are slower to execute. Additionally, they feature some context sensitive elements, inflicting additional effects depending on your target’s state. Holding the right mouse button engages active blocking, slowly draining stamina in order to intercept enemy attacks with a weapon or shield. While in active block mode, the player can shield (or weapon) bash by left clicking to interrupt enemy spell casting or to break free of crowd control effects."

and

"The five hotbar abilities offer an additional dimension of tactical flexibility in combat and are not restricted by an artificial cooldown. By abolishing cooldown contingent combat, ZeniMax has done away with a “rotation” based system in which there is an optimal way to complete each encounter. Instead, ESO features a combat system with heavy emphasis on situational responses to enemy actions where careful management of your combat resources (Stamina and Magicka) is key to victory."

Both those quotes are from the same paragraph i just cut the stealth section out, so you have 5 abilities that use resources (mana/stam) a sixth slot for your ultimate and your 2 weapon abilities (light and heavy), all of which can be swapped out and upgraded

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

That IGN article is from may which was a completely different build that had a more traditional mmo combat system (whch everyone screamed "wow clone!" at), the one i posted is from last weeks press event

here's another quote from the same site

"In terms of equipment, I predominately stuck to a sword and shield fighting style with heavy armor for defense. My own power attack provided a short duration buff to my physical resistance which I later had the option to replace with an offensive snare"

and tbh the original quote does say that you can change both light and heavy attacks aswell as upgrade your existing ones, your light and heavy attacks are assigned to your left mouse and not your action bar

and here's another quote that clarifies the combat system a bit

"Left clicking activates your basic melee attack, while holding the left mouse button charges a power attack. Power attacks do not cost Stamina to use, however they are slower to execute. Additionally, they feature some context sensitive elements, inflicting additional effects depending on your target’s state. Holding the right mouse button engages active blocking, slowly draining stamina in order to intercept enemy attacks with a weapon or shield. While in active block mode, the player can shield (or weapon) bash by left clicking to interrupt enemy spell casting or to break free of crowd control effects."

and

"The five hotbar abilities offer an additional dimension of tactical flexibility in combat and are not restricted by an artificial cooldown. By abolishing cooldown contingent combat, ZeniMax has done away with a “rotation” based system in which there is an optimal way to complete each encounter. Instead, ESO features a combat system with heavy emphasis on situational responses to enemy actions where careful management of your combat resources (Stamina and Magicka) is key to victory."

Both those quotes are from the same paragraph i just cut the stealth section out, so you have 5 abilities that use resources (mana/stam) a sixth slot for your ultimate and your 2 weapon abilities (light and heavy), all of which can be swapped out and upgraded

This does give me hope that they are planning to do something with directional attacks rather than just hitting a hot key.  I hate to sound like a broken record but it would be really awesome if they had additional maneuvers that allowed us to execute abilities.  Even just a click, hold and drag the mouse attack.  I know it's hard to perfect these combos but it would help me personally accept the new combat renovations.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    From my understanding you get 6 slot but they are for spells and your attacks com from your mouse buttons. I don't mind 6 slots because I would rather have the game balanced properly instead fo the merry-go-round of balancing other games go through.
    Originally posted by Ataaka

I do not enjoy being limited. What a waste of resources. There are some things that players do that make the character personal and almost unique. Much of this has to do with ability to pull out the 'kitchen sink' and simply bash the hell out of something where all other choices have failed.

GW2, for instance, where a ranger has switchable in-combat skill choices (as does every class) is still limiting my option to conquer things around me when the going gets too tough for the twelve skills available. I'm not fond of thinking, "Dang! I wish I had that other skill from the other weapon that could easily fit the skill set of the current weapons."

Ataaka

IMO you have it backwards. Limiting you makes you more unique. If everyone has access to all skills at the same time, everyone is exactly the same. There is nothing unique about being able to do the exact same thing as everyone else. But in games like GW2 and TESO the fact that you dont have the skills equipped to "conquer things around you" but that other ranger next to you does, makes you unique vs eachother. Same class, but due to his setup he is capable of things you arent.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

Quote from here

I don't even think you are keeping up with latest info and podcasts and you tube videos of alpha information. Because what you are saying is an outdated information.

• Sounds really bad when I read it, but I'll reserve judgement until I see how it plays.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Ataaka

Ataaka

That IS the point with limiting - so you don't take off more than you can chew. I like that about GW2. It forces a choice on what is on your bar and what you can use.

I got sicke of the massive skill bars in Rift, etc. It was pointless and there were many skills that were situational and would only be used once. Waste of screen space.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    One of the best parts that made GW1 fun, glad to see them bringing this back into the fold, makes for much better diversity.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    One of the best parts that made GW1 fun, glad to see them bringing this back into the fold, makes for much better diversity.

GW1 isn't a MMO. GW2 is a MMO, but that kind of combat mechanics been proven to get boring fast in a MMO settings.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design