Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Wizardry Online: Hardcore? You Bet It Is!

Comments

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Atrocious to sully the Wizardry name with this POS!  Basically nothing from any of the prior Wizardry games is in this one.

Kind of what I'm thinking as well.  Sir-Tech (original founding company) created the Wizardry world.  A new company stepping in is about as useful to gaming as EA creating a new Ultima game (Original for Ultima was Richard Garriott, Origin Systems, Inc.).

The founders for any original game had passion for games and roleplaying.  The new companies these days are more concerned with how much money they can make, instead of making a superior game.

Geez, how long before a craptastic company comes along and tries to monetize Might and Magic as an MMORPG.  Ugh.

...Please do not give them any ideals. Imagine "mandate of heaven" or "World of Xeen" F2P with Cash Shop... You log in and the flashing ad says "Click here to buy Dragon Class" or "$2.99 chest key- Today ONLY"

EDIT: I see you now have given them bards tale as well... Yes the remake was bad... But not 2012 bad...yet...

Hehe to your comments :)

Whatever happened to games that are good because they were original? /Peace

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Atrocious to sully the Wizardry name with this POS!  Basically nothing from any of the prior Wizardry games is in this one.

Kind of what I'm thinking as well.  Sir-Tech (original founding company) created the Wizardry world.  A new company stepping in is about as useful to gaming as EA creating a new Ultima game (Original for Ultima was Richard Garriott, Origin Systems, Inc.).  Everything EA makes turns to garbage because the "suits" are not even gamers.

The founders for any original game had passion for games and roleplaying.  The "license owning" companies these days are more concerned with how much money they can make, instead of making a superior game.

Geez, how long before a craptastic company comes along and tries to monetize Might and Magic as an MMORPG.  Ugh.

While we're at it, lets also sodomize Bard's Tale.  The SP remake wasn't bad enough?

It was easier back then, all they had was passion. The money wasn't there yet. Not its big business and ya you can go it indie, if you want it to look like a game from 1992.

Sad truth is, games cost money now. A LOT of money and theres way too much competiton and pressure to produce results. I would never want to be a developer in this generation of games. I'm amazed anyone does.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

While we're at it, lets also sodomize Bard's Tale.  The SP remake wasn't bad enough?

It wasn't that bad. I know a few youngsters who liked it :)

But if you loved the first series, this new version was so thin... and without any respect to the first 3. It almost seemed like a Bard's Tale: The Parody.

• RakujiRakuji Member UncommonPosts: 144
    sounds fun

Kick to the Face.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

Games like these have a tendency to come and go pretty quick. Thye usually fade in obsecurity in few days. Let us see how long this one will last and if all the so called 'hardcore ' players will put their money where there mouth is.

Time to face the music boys and girls. I am in are you? (no i am not hard core and i despise words like care bear).

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by halflife25

Games like these have a tendency to come and go pretty quick. Thye usually fade in obsecurity in few days. Let us see how long this one will last and if all the so called 'hardcore ' players will put their money where there mouth is.

Time to face the music boys and girls. I am in are you? (no i am not hard core and i despise words like care bear).

Already signed up for beta and yes I'll put my money where my mouth is, like I will for Unholy Wars, Archeage, WoD, like I did for Darkfall, like I did for EVE. Just like many other players will.

Really though, you need to understand that the "hardcore" crowd also want games which are not just bug ridden, highly exploited, badly developed messes. Mortal Online didn't die on it's arse because it was "hardcore".

Half of the time we stick with these games even though they have major major technical issues, limited support and virtually zero funding. If anything it is probably one of the most "loyal" crowds who invest in even piss poor quality products for the long term due to wanting that high risk/open ruleset.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

Originally posted by Po_gg

But if you loved the first series, this new version was so thin... and without any respect to the first 3. It almost seemed like a Bard's Tale: The Parody.

I liked the original Bard Tale games.  Rough games, and definitely not casual. Lol!

I loved the M&M series more though.  The one really worth playing (IMO) is MM3, which is free as abandonware. 4+ good too, 1-2 were good for the time.  Might and Magic is best left to meories and replayability of the original games.

I sort of feel the same way with Wizardry, the more I think about it.

If someone buys the Sonny & Cher license, can they now start doing Sonny & Cher concerts?  Would fans actually notice their names are really Alfred & Donna?  .... Probably, so will we notice the developers of Wizardry Online are not the same developers from Sir-Tech?  Some might.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

I liked the original Bard Tale games.  Rough games, and definitely not casual. Lol!

I loved the M&M series more though.  The one really worth playing (IMO) is MM3, which is free as abandonware. 4+ good too, 1-2 were good for the time.  Might and Magic is best left to meories and replayability of the original games.

If someone buys the Sonny & Cher license, can they now start doing Sonny & Cher concerts?  Would fans actually notice their names are really Alfred & Donna?  .... Probably, so will we notice the developers of Wizardry Online are not the same developers from Sir-Tech?  Some might.

-Good Sir, I would like to direct your attention to http://www.indiegogo.com/grimoireforever which is truley Wizardry 7.5. This was made by Cleve Blakemore one of the original Sir tech devs who worked on 7 and 8. Its been in the works for about 200 years and is EPIC beyond belief.

I played the demo/beta/whatever like 15 years ago and its still around on certain...um...sites I cannot mention with Skull Flags and Black beards- needs configured in DosBox... Anyhow, its seriously amazing (the 15 year old version) and he has been working on it this whole time.

Here is a good read where he announces this all http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/grimoire-kickstarter.75724/ as a "kickstarter"

I think this may be right up your alley- Cleve is a...very interesting individual.

Cheers.

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453
    looks like and sounds like a terrible game.
  • jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by bunnyhopper

Half of the time we stick with these games even though they have major major technical issues, limited support and virtually zero funding. If anything it is probably one of the most "loyal" crowds who invest in even piss poor quality products for the long term due to wanting that high risk/open ruleset.

Couldn't have said it better myself, so I won't.

/cheers.

-Good Sir, I would like to direct your attention to http://www.indiegogo.com/grimoireforever which is truley Wizardry 7.5. This was made by Cleve Blakemore one of the original Sir tech devs who worked on 7 and 8. Its been in the works for about 200 years and is EPIC beyond belief.

I played the demo/beta/whatever like 15 years ago and its still around on certain...um...sites I cannot mention with Skull Flags and Black beards- needs configured in DosBox... Anyhow, its seriously amazing (the 15 year old version) and he has been working on it this whole time.

Here is a good read where he announces this all http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/grimoire-kickstarter.75724/ as a "kickstarter"

I think this may be right up your alley- Cleve is a...very interesting individual.

Cheers.

Yeah there was a booth at E3 I stopped at.  Cool game design, great graphic displays.  Their Gamescon demo was more limited, poster displays were not plentiful, shall we say.  I've been signed up to be a beta tester for quite some time .. next month we go! oh yeah.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

Cheers.

Yeah there was a booth at E3 I stopped at.  Cool game design, great graphic displays.  Their Gamescon demo was more limited, poster displays were not plentiful, shall we say.  I've been signed up to be a beta tester for quite some time .. next month we go! oh yeah.

No you are thinking of the "other" Sir tech devs- Brenda and whats his name from Projet Obsidian (I think is the name)- They cancelled that. This has never been at E3 (or anywhere)- Cleve actually has a huge rivalry with those guys and says some damn funny stuff (in the thread I linked) about his adventures with that "team" (stuff he has said even on their kickstarter page which was never  denied)

Cleves game was actuall;y supposed to come out in 1999/2000 I think but he is a perfectionist and kept "adding stuff"/"fixing stuff" etc - never satisfied. Now in 2012 he decided to release and honestly the Demo thats out there was ready to go... Add years worth of content and fixes to that-

• TorgenTorgen Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Guess this will be the first permadeath game that I will try out. Somehow I never liked permadeath (not even in ARPGs like d2) but after reading up on this game I cant wait to see my first char dying :P
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    More stuff like perma death, high stakes and intensity might get me interested in pc gaming again. I was a casual pc gamer, specifically in wow, but the rarity that I might get to pug a raid and I might get a nice upgrade is what kept me engaged. Dungeon finder and raidfinder ruined that, not only for wow,but now everyone wants it and wants it now.
  • genclaymoregenclaymore Member UncommonPosts: 44

Good that they posted the info, since I know what the game gonna be. It no longer inerested in me.  I not cool with Perma Death, I Stop playing Realm of the Mad God for that reason. Repeating starting over get old. I would rather just play another game. Then keep recreating that class over.

I all good for PVping other players, But I don't like the way they are gonna do it. Forced PVP is another  nail in it for me. I do PVP from time to time buy only because it not forced upon me in other mmos I play as I can choose if I wanna do it now or not.  Both Perma Death and Forced PVP is why I not looking foreward to play this game and is no longer inerested. 

But then I glad this game exist so those who are hardcore PVP which been wanting a game just for them. Can now play one and not complain about the other types of players  ruining games for them.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    If this is even remotely close to being like "Dark Souls Online" then I will be a very happy guy!

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Yamota
    So it has cute Pokemon characters but also mature rating? That is odd.

Yeah, no thanks.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• JRRNeiklotJRRNeiklot Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Let's hope they don't ruin it with resilience.
  • DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Sounds like a risky move to me ..perma death.

Hard to imagine a game doing well with that in it. But time will tell i guess. Would depend ALOT on the mechanics and time to get back into the action. 

Just sounds like an huge stick.. better have a even bigger carrot on that stick too:) Just hard to imagine what that would be without getting tedious in a hurry.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

Permadeath is death for this game. No game is without some cheats/bots/hacks. No interent game is without random disconnects.

How happy would any of you be to lose a character due to a power burp?

Permadeath will make people want to cheat and complain more.  It will make the community worse not better.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by Ryowulf

Permadeath is death for this game. No game is without some cheats/bots/hacks. No interent game is without random disconnects.

How happy would any of you be to lose a character due to a power burp?

Permadeath will make people want to cheat and complain more.  It will make the community worse not better.

Well.. this game is not a usual MMO. Permadeath was good for Quake, so it will be good for this one.

It is much more a Action Multiplayer Dungeon Crawler, it is about the tough challenge against Mobs or Players.. and permadeath fits perfectly well in this game. So i will give it a try. :)

But i dont expect a World, or anything like it, much more a lot of fast and tough action..  i miss the dungeon crawler genre, with games like Dungeon Master, Eye of the Beholder, Ultima Underworld and so on.. and this one is such a game, just mulitplayer(and not so much massive multiplayer, but didnt fit in a dungeon crawler anyways), with good and crazy action and some tough decisions.

And i guess to get to deepest level of some dungeonn will be a serious challange.. and not comparable with those raids or dungeons from other games. It is much more mayhem.

The point is really what you expect about it. I expect a mix from Dungeon Master, Quake, Hexen(IDSoft) and the like. And that sounds fun for me. And could have a lot more longlevity than some other games, although your character want live that long.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

I know barely looking into it at all but...

"Wizardry Online"

That title online makes me feel like its as far away from hardcore as feasibly possible. It just sounds like the complete opposite of hardcore if it was to have an opposite. The only thing I can think of that would sound less hardcore would be to call it "Rainbows Online".

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489
    Originally posted by Purutzil

I know barely looking into it at all but...

"Wizardry Online"

That title online makes me feel like its as far away from hardcore as feasibly possible. It just sounds like the complete opposite of hardcore if it was to have an opposite. The only thing I can think of that would sound less hardcore would be to call it "Rainbows Online".

Go play any of the old Wizardy titles. When you're lost, alone, and getting raped by Fuma Ninjas and Reapers then come back here and sound like you know what you're talking about.

a yo ho ho

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Tayah
    Originally posted by Yamota
    So it has cute Pokemon characters but also mature rating? That is odd.

Yeah, no thanks.

Can't wait to see these guys posing on the message boards with screenshots of their awesum hardc0re badass toon...heh.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• makiimakii Member Posts: 280

The game is freaking old and has been out quiet some time in Asian Market.

SOE jsut bought the rights to publish it since they kept publishing one fail mmo after another.

Desperate Comapany doing foolish things.