Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Going back to old school MMO's I think

CorberCorber Member UncommonPosts: 38

So I bought GW2 and tried it for awhile now.  I have 2 level 80's and to be honest I am just bored with it. Now before you start the flame wars know that I am bored with it because it's not what I am used to, not that it's not a good game, just not a game for me.

So with that being said I was looking back to the MMO's I used to play and have come to a cross roads.  I like the MMO genre but I don't really care for the F2P format with cash shops all that much so I think I am going to choose the road the leads back to the older MMO's that have a subscription.

I like the old school way of having a tank, healer and support classes. I also like player housing (but not needed).

So I would like to know if you guys/gals may have a suggestion of somewhere I can call home. 

P.S. I hope that it's not that I'm just getting old and losing interest in MMO's....

Corber

Comments

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Nothing wrong with wanting what you want. I have a lot of friends who echo your experience with newer games.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

Although it IS F2P now. I suggest Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. Here's why IMO...

1. It feels like the  true sequel to EQ...more so than EQ2.

2. Although F2P (Until lvl 20 for most classes), and although having a cash shop (Which is mainly for vanity stuff, and nothing over powering)...you have the option to sub (Gold Membership)...which opens up the entire game. If you don't want to sub for $15 a month...you can pay a bit less to simply open the class you choose to stick with and play it to cap in the F2P format.

3. HUGE world...and all opened....no instancing...this includes dungeons, which are huge as well. Only loading is at rifts to go continent to continent.

4. There are your typical Tank, heal, support classes. I personally haven't found a class I dislike yet...and I have played Healers almost exclusively through my entire MMORPG career (If you want to call it that. Couldn't think of a better word).

It's F2P on Steam...download it and give it a try. Not gonna hurt. GL with your hunt for a more permanent MMORPG home!

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852
    Originally posted by Corber

So I bought GW2 and tried it for awhile now.  I have 2 level 80's and to be honest I am just bored with it. Now before you start the flame wars know that I am bored with it because it's not what I am used to, not that it's not a good game, just not a game for me.

So with that being said I was looking back to the MMO's I used to play and have come to a cross roads.  I like the MMO genre but I don't really care for the F2P format with cash shops all that much so I think I am going to choose the road the leads back to the older MMO's that have a subscription.

I like the old school way of having a tank, healer and support classes. I also like player housing (but not needed).

So I would like to know if you guys/gals may have a suggestion of somewhere I can call home. 

P.S. I hope that it's not that I'm just getting old and losing interest in MMO's....

Corber

The Irony here is that GW2, while it has a Cash Shop is in no way same as any of the F2P ones.

They do not sell Power, and they do not have crasy limitations on purpose on many aspects of the game (such as Inventory) in order to force one in to a microtransaction.

GW2 really has a Cosmetic and Convenience Cash Shop... I like the Model.

Albeit, it is a Themepark and I get bored a bit (I am a Sandbox Player), but overall it is Fun to most, especially Themepark Players as it eliminates much of the Tediums other Themeparks have.

Leveling is Fast, there is no Quest Grind, no gear Grind either. Plenty of well thought Conveniences, very few if any Time Sinks.

And it is B2P, which means once you buy it you do not have to worry about how much time you spend in it and how efficiently you spend your time in it since there is no Subscription.

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by Goatgod76

2. Although F2P (Until lvl 20 for most classes), and although having a cash shop (Which is mainly for vanity stuff, and nothing over powering)...you have the option to sub (Gold Membership)...which opens up the entire game. If you don't want to sub for $15 a month...you can pay a bit less to simply open the class you choose to stick with and play it to cap in the F2P format.

3. HUGE world...and all opened....no instancing...this includes dungeons, which are huge as well. Only loading is at rifts to go continent to continent.

4. There are your typical Tank, heal, support classes. I personally haven't found a class I dislike yet...and I have played Healers almost exclusively through my entire MMORPG career (If you want to call it that. Couldn't think of a better word).

It's F2P on Steam...download it and give it a try. Not gonna hurt. GL with your hunt for a more permanent MMORPG home!

IS it worth getting into? Because I have expressed interest in giving this a whirl now its on steam. However I am hearing it is still buggy, empty, restricted and has little development or support?

Originally posted by dreamsofwar
    Originally posted by Goatgod76

IS it worth getting into? Because I have expressed interest in giving this a whirl now its on steam. However I am hearing it is still buggy, empty, restricted and has little development or support?

It is still pretty buggy yes. But it is getting fix love now that it's gone F2P...as odd as that sounds...because despite the bugs, many more people are subbing becuase it is still quite good as far as the old school vibe (myself included).

Since going on Steam, the population has increased quite a bit. If you like playing Tanks, you won't have much issue getting groups. But even playing other classes, finding groups isn't real difficult. As I said..it's F2P...try it out...not going to lose much but some time.

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988
    I've found myself doing the same thing these past couple of months. I'm currently playing Neocron 2 and Minions of Mirth, but I highly recommend/second the Vanguard suggestion. I don't care for SoE's free to play model, but it's good for testing the waters I suppose if you're unsure whether you'd enjoy the game or not.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    If you want an oldschool experience, play Vanguard. It's pretty much the best PvE MMO on the market once you've already played GW2. And it is certainly challenging/oldschool.
  • fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Corber

There is no such games like you ask. 

Closest would be Rift or possibly Final Fantasy XVI 2.0   (but that is not avabile atm, will release in few months).

They are not that old school though.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    Try out Vanguard saga of heroes for real. I was playing that before it went f2p and OMG was it amazing. to bad it just had bad timing iwth other mmos and now im hooked into gw2. If i get osme free time though. Imma go back to Vanguard. Its one of the most challenging mmos ever. If they didnt nerf the hell out of it for f2p lol.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

Originally posted by HeroEvermore
    Try out Vanguard saga of heroes for real. I was playing that before it went f2p and OMG was it amazing. to bad it just had bad timing iwth other mmos and now im hooked into gw2. If i get osme free time though. Imma go back to Vanguard. Its one of the most challenging mmos ever. If they didnt nerf the hell out of it for f2p lol.

There hasn't been any nerfing. I have died more times in Vanguard then I have while playing WoW and Rift combined...and I am a VERY careful player. Undead in VG are SUPER aggro ridden.

Was fighting some Paladins, Priests, and some other healer type yesterday that if I pulled more than one...I had to root one out of range of the other or they healed one another. Was a pain, but nice to see the AI...at least in that particular area, was a bit more strategic.

• CorberCorber Member UncommonPosts: 38

Thanks for everyone's feedback. 

When I say old school MMO I don't mean that it has to be "Old" I just mean the style of having a Tank, Healer and Support classes.

Does Vangaurd have player housing?  Is crafting worth it?

Someone mentioned Rift also.  Is that game worth investigating?

Corber

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

When I say old school MMO I don't mean that it has to be "Old" I just mean the style of having a Tank, Healer and Support classes.

Corber

Yes and yes to the Vanguard queistion. Houses have to be handcrafted though, so it'll cost you quite a bit unless you have friends who can help you build it from scratch.

I don't care for Rift, but it has a 20 level free trial last I checked, so you can check that out at anytime.

• CorberCorber Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Am I the only one that feels like this?  I hope I'm not just getting too old for gaming...
  • WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386
    Vanguard has some of the best crafting ever seen in an mmo.
  • RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    If you want an oldschool experience, play Vanguard. It's pretty much the best PvE MMO on the market once you've already played GW2. And it is certainly challenging/oldschool.

+1

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

+1000 to Vanguard

I recently went back to playing Vanguard and even with all its flaws, I enjoy it more than any other MMO. The world is very beautiful, even against current games, but I do wish they would update the character models. As I mentioned in another thread, they have that, "oops, I just pooped my pants, I sure hope no one noticed" wide-eyed stare that just drives me nuts.

Give Vanguard a whirl.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

Corber

Here..

Vanguard crafting http://elderscrollsotr.mymiddleearth.com/2012/10/26/episode-43-hands-on-with-eso/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyocqJ_8vks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W5snx6pcHg

Vanguard Housing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gYJSIyp59U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5lXH4PIxww