Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Defiance: NYC Gamer's Day Preview

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

We had a chance to check out Trion Worlds' upcoming MMOTPS, Defiance, during a recent Gamer's Day press event in NYC. Read on to discover what we learned.

Defiance is one of the more intriguing MMOTPS projects on the horizon due to the unique partnership between Trion Worlds and Syfy. You see, Defiance isn’t just an MMO, but also a TV show. The events in both the show and game will, to some extent, be reflected in both mediums.  If that weren’t enough, Defiance will be one of the few MMORPGs available on the XBOX 360 and Trion Worlds helps to entice the shooter crowd to give that whole “MMO thing” a shot (pun intended!) with their game.

Read more of Michael Bitton's Defiance: NYC Gamer's Day Preview.

Comments

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Ugh, can't wait for this game.  Especially after Trion went and just gutted Rift.  SO pissed at them for what they did to it.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by Hrimnir
    Ugh, can't wait for this game.  Especially after Trion went and just gutted Rift.  SO pissed at them for what they did to it.

At the risk of derailing my own article's comment thread, care to elaborate? I'm genuinely curious. :P

• LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331
    Originally posted by MikeB

At the risk of derailing my own article's comment thread, care to elaborate? I'm genuinely curious. :P

Me too , please Elaborate on what you mean? From what I've seen rift has greatly improved their game.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Huh? They are just about to release a huge expansion! /confused ?

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

It will be very interesting to see how this game fares in comparison to Planetside 2.

Defiance will have the marketing muscle and the advantage of TV tie-in exposure, so it will be in everyone's face. But it looks like PVP-Lite compared to PS2.

Will Defiance's PVE content plus marketing tilt the scales in it's favour vs PS2 ?

• SkullyWoodsSkullyWoods Member Posts: 183
    I'm a regular extra on the show. I obviously can't say much about it but everything looks awesome so far.

#TeamVainlash
    Why did Marceline's dad eat her fries? I mean...cause she bought them and they were hers...

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by MikeB

Sorry for the late response guys. As far as gutting Rift. They went and totally uprooted the entire way the skills interact and pretty much how the game *plays* as a result. Essentially they took almost every ability and removed any kind of cooldown from it, and in many cases a lot of them are off global cooldown as well. This completely gutted the macro system and made it 90% useless. Previously, especially in the case of warriors, classes had a smoothness and a flow to how they played. Now, after 1.11 patch there are tons of energy starvation issues, overall clunkiness and just a simple feeling of the game not being fun to play. Mostly due to having ultra complex rotations, you end up feeling like you are playing the UI and not the actual game. It was essentially a ham fisted attempt to add complexity to the combat that so far has failed miserably. Overall, warriors are the most pissed, mages the least so, but yeah, its not a happy place over on the Rift forums.

The most frustrating part is they're doing SO much really cool stuff with the expansion, but many of us are ready to quit, including me, after i dropped 120 dollars for the 1yr sub with the expac, because its just not fun to play anymore. You feel like you are just fighting the UI instead of playing a game.  Its hard to explain to someone who hasnt played it, but its just, bad.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche