Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't play the game it crashes when I hit play

Created my character, it crashes to desktop every time.  I am below minimum reqs, but the frame rate in char selection seems fine and I have everything on low.  Any ideas? Can I turn shadows off or is this something completely unrelated.

Thanks!

windows 7 64 bit

core 2 duo 2.4ghz

7900gs

4gb memory

Anyone who flames me for my system can STFU or donate a better video card. :)

Comments

• cpthowdycpthowdy Member Posts: 113
    wont flame ya for your system but will ask why in the hell are you here seeking tech support? are the funcom forums not working?
  • HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Because sometimes the best troubleshooting help comes from the community cptnhowdy.

Drivers.

Are your drivers up to date? And that included your audio drivers too.

Oh and can you run in windowed mode? I dont know why but for some reason that seems to fix a lot of my crash problems. And always turn shadows off (if you can). Should always be the first thing you try, before you go and download the newest drivers.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• WhipsmackWhipsmack Member Posts: 37

Originally posted by cpthowdy
    wont flame ya for your system but will ask why in the hell are you here seeking tech support? are the funcom forums not working?

Originally posted by Hokie

Because sometimes the best troubleshooting help comes from the community cptnhowdy.

Drivers.

Are your drivers up to date? And that included your audio drivers too.

Oh and can you run in windowed mode? I dont know why but for some reason that seems to fix a lot of my crash problems. And always turn shadows off (if you can). Should always be the first thing you try, before you go and download the newest drivers.

Funcom forums do not allow new users to create an account.  I guess I have to buy the game, I am on the trial right now.

Video drivers are up to date. I will look into my sound card, it is an old EMU 0404 meant for recording, so that very well could by my issue. 

I did not see an option to disable shadows, but I took the slider to 0 on everything, seems silky smooth in the char creation. 

Thanks for the replies, i'll keep you posted.

Well I disabled audio completely, still crashed.  Any other secret settings I could try?
  • ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

1. Check if their is a Validate button on the launcher to check file integrity.

Downloading gigs and gigs of data is bound to goof up eventually. If not, i'd try a clean install.

2. If not drivers, i'd throw my money on you missing one or more of those windows things that update usually with each game installed. (Directx maybe?) Dont recall names, been awhile since i had to crack a game and install the things manually.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Also, try going down to DX9 instead of DX11.
  • ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

Something else google provided: https://forum.tera-europe.com/showthread.php?t=114025

'Exactly, if you use a name which already exists.. the game crashes. Wasn't aware this bug was still there..

note: it doesn't ALWAYS crash - but it did for me around 4 times in a row till i tried a different charname '

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

Originally posted by Toxia

Downloading gigs and gigs of data is bound to goof up eventually. If not, i'd try a clean install.

2. If not drivers, i'd throw my money on you missing one or more of those windows things that update usually with each game installed. (Directx maybe?) Dont recall names, been awhile since i had to crack a game and install the things manually.

Did the validate files.  What do you mean about the window  that updates with each game installed? Any more info on this subject?

I also just created a character with a crazy random name that no one in their right mind would have typed, too so we can cross that one off the list.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by Whipsmack
    Originally posted by Toxia

Did the validate files.  What do you mean about the window  that updates with each game installed? Any more info on this subject?

I also just created a character with a crazy random name that no one in their right mind would have typed, too so we can cross that one off the list.

I think he's referring to DirectX.  Check to see which version of DX ou have on the PC, and possibly change the settings in TSW to DX9 from DX11.

I have selected direct x 9, considering my card isn't even dx 10.  Looks like i'll be needing to upgrade my video card, but it is more likely i'll lose interest and move on.
  • HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

Was there a video option to "run in windowed mode"? If so try that.

Sounds odd, but doing that has sped up my fps in a lot of games, and has stopped the crashing I was getting in GW2.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."