Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BadSpock's Hitting Bottom: A Re-Review

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by Grimula

My favourite part of GW 2 was the underwater combat exploration

Underwater is just amazing in GW2...they need to add a whole bunch more to underwater hahah

I thought underwater exploration was much better in WOW:CATA, but people complained about it and so they abandoned an underwater based raid.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

I didn't read the whole thing.  but what I read sounds familiar to me.

I got to 85 pretty quickly.  Orr was indeed VERY disappointing as was WvW.

This game has crappy progression and a poor motivation/reward system.  As of yet they haven't mentioned anything that makes it sound like they will/want to fix it.

-Pretty much this.

good enough game to kill a few hours with here and there- beyond that? Not so much. I have not logged in in a couple weeks and probably will not for another few at least.

hat said- It being B2P means I always have SOMETHING to log into whenI need to "scratch that itch"- So its all good I guess.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

I didn't read the whole thing.  but what I read sounds familiar to me.

I got to 85 pretty quickly.  Orr was indeed VERY disappointing as was WvW.

This game has crappy progression and a poor motivation/reward system.  As of yet they haven't mentioned anything that makes it sound like they will/want to fix it.

A very impressive feat; this must put you as GM status.  Perhaps you are confusing this game with WoW Cataclysm, which you have played before.

But yeah, many complaints like yours are whiney.  The game was pretty much advertised as end game gear being easy to get, with everyone having the same stuff (different looks though).  The game is ultra casual and caters to the solo player essentially.  If it didn't it would likely have a sub fee.

End game progression would be nice, but it wasn't promised.  Don't like it, don't play it!

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by grimal

Finding GW2 boring after 1.5 months !=  MMO burnout.

lol,its a theme park..

so not really

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Read the entire thread, and I can agree with most points in the OP. GW2 just comes off as lackluster.

But for me this has nothing to do with the lack of a carrot- my carrot has always been whether or not I feel like playing. If I feel like playing MMOs I go to that; if I feel like a FPS or console game I have ones of those I enjoy as well.

The biggest loss I've felt has only to do with community- as the friends I've made in MMOs since I started in EQ1 choose RL more and more over MMOs I find it increasingly difficult to find like-minded individuals in these games and without people that I desire to log in to interact with why not just play single player RPGs or other genres that do combat, story, and graphics far better than MMOs do?

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506

Not too late to hop in the ArcheAge line and wait patiently with the rest of us.

You seriously cannot let GW2 ruin your MMO addiction. Don't go out like that, lol.

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    This just in....(and im not bs'ing)..my 8 year old son (who had been playing GW2, not me) just told me that he is bored of playing GW2 about 2 hours ago.  He refused to log in....that's how I felt after 3 days.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Randayn
    This just in....(and im not bs'ing)..my 8 year old son (who had been playing GW2, not me) just told me that he is bored of playing GW2 about 2 hours ago.  He refused to log in....that's how I felt after 3 days.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• VaultarVaultar Member Posts: 339

Still going strong here too and thats when I have TL2 and Bordelands 2 on my hdd which I still hardly played. Just recently I completed explorable mode of Twilight Arbor (a very difficult dungeon) and got so much satisfaction out of it for making through it till the end especially it being my first time. Unlike others here, I LOVE cosmetic coz it means that I am not trying to catch up with others in terms of best gear and I just aim too look badass. I just neeeed those nightmare legguards and breastplate! They just look too awesome. Then there is this other dungeon that has gear with perfect stats for my char that I just have to do tooo once I am done with TA.

Then there is 100% world completion to aim for, story to finish, do dragon runs with guildies, runs in orr and wvwvw (which I get addicted to whenever I visit it). So basically, I like everything about the game that u don't like. 

It all comes down to personal preferences, outlook and expectations. 

Looking forward to EQL and EQN.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Originally posted by drakaena

Not too late to hop in the ArcheAge line and wait patiently with the rest of us.

You seriously cannot let GW2 ruin your MMO addiction. Don't go out like that, lol.

I'm waiting on ArcheAge myself. I had this called from the beggining and it's not just a problem with GW2. It's all themepark games. Once you consume all the content there's nothing really left to do. The part GW2 got right was their B2P model. When they release new content and event you can jump in consume it and forget about it until more content comes out.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Grimula

My favourite part of GW 2 was the underwater combat exploration

Underwater is just amazing in GW2...they need to add a whole bunch more to underwater hahah

I thought underwater exploration was much better in WOW:CATA, but people complained about it and so they abandoned an underwater based raid.

Vash'Jir (WoW Cataclysm) was definitely a treasure.  I had friends and family watch me play, and they commented that what I'm playing looks really good.  They never played WoW.

The underwater in WoW was good, but you are being a tad naive here.  It was expensive for Blizzard to keep doing detailed underwater zones.  Every nook and cranny could be explored and swam to.  It's far cheaper for Blizzard to do boring 2D landscapes in a 3D world.

The people complaining against underwater worlds were shills, promoting a cheaper way for Activision-Blizzard to do business.  You fell for it, although it didn't change your gut feeling.

You see when enough people seem to complain about awesome stuff, then the mindset changes, and suddenly underwater worlds were out.  You think underwater worlds were better, but you didn't voice loud enough.

I think Vash'Jir (WoW) was one of the best things to be added to Cataclysm.

But then again, this might be a whiney post, right?

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I don't see myself quitting this game for a long time, but I use a different perception than many. I base my enjoyment from how much I contribute to a game, not by how much the game contributes to me.

Good luck with your future endeavors.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by eyelolled

I don't see myself quitting this game for a long time, but I use a different perception than many. I base my enjoyment from how much I contribute to a game, not by how much the game contributes to me.

I don't mean to offend you, but didn't you buy the game for your entertainment? The game should be contributing to your entertainment. What you wrote makes no sense.....at least not to me. Anyway, whatever makes you happy I suppose.....

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    Originally posted by stevebmbsqd
    Originally posted by eyelolled

I don't mean to offend you, but didn't you buy the game for your entertainment? The game should be contributing to your entertainment. What you wrote makes no sense.....at least not to me. Anyway, whatever makes you happy I suppose.....

Sorry for not being more clear, I like to roleplay in games. Creating a backstory for my character, acting in accordance to the personality of the character I create. These are all investments of effort, not financial. The effort that I put in to my character, and the game, makes me want to keep it going.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

It's weird isn't it? All my TERA guildies like GW2 more than TERA but they are already finding themselves bored and un-inspired in GW2 within 2 months...whereas we played TERA for 5 months...probably longer if GW2 didn't come out. I actually have one guildie that plays TERA and complains about it being shit while saying GW2 is amazing..but he doesn't play it...because he's accomplishing nothing, there's no progression.

GW2 makes you realize you need social features, the trinity and "the carrot", no matter how "fun" the game is. They are the fundamentals of MMOs and GW2 lacks all three.

Originally posted by Pivotelite

It's weird isn't it? All my TERA guildies like GW2 more than TERA but they are already finding themselves bored and un-inspired in GW2 within 2 months...whereas we played TERA for 5 months...probably longer if GW2 didn't come out. I actually have one guildie that plays TERA and complains about it being shit while saying GW2 is amazing..but he doesn't play it...because he's accomplishing nothing, there's no progression.

GW2 makes you realize you need social features, the trinity and "the carrot", no matter how "fun" the game is. They are the fundamentals of MMOs and GW2 lacks all three.

it has many many forms of progression and things to strive for.. people just can't get out of the mindset that stat progression is all there is in this regard

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

it has many many forms of progression and things to strive for.. people just can't get out of the mindset that stat progression is all there is in this regard

Really? I'm rank 13 in sPvP got my gear and got bored of Spvp, went to WvW, enjoyed it for a few days, played it non-stop and spent all my gold on siege, then got bored. I already have my full exotic set from running CoF for 2 hours per day for 4 days...

what other progression should i go for? The stats of my character in PvP and PvE are set and so are my looks... there's not much more to do, same goes for all my guildmates(some with two 80s in full exotics already).

Am i going to continue to do WvW and plummit into bankrupcy for no purpose other than fun? Continue Spvp to get some unobtainable and ridiculously high ranks that mean nothing? Am I going to run average dungeons with people who suck for no gear or anything of value?

There's hardly any ways to make money in this game and even with money the only thing you can spend it on is WvW or cosmetics, there's no progression.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    The game is good for the casuals, those who don't spend a lot of time gaming but for those who need to get down to the nuts and bolts of any rpg this game doesn't provide them the satisfaction they require from an online  rpg.  Still a decent game if you have nothing better to do.
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by bigsmiff

Good write-up.

I have been playing since right after launch and I have talked to maybe five people total. I do not get the mmo feel at all in GW2. Crafting in mmo's has always been 80% of my gameplay, and I find the crafting in GW2 to be very very lackluster. It is not a bad game, but it isn't for me at all.

i still don't see how you guys play MMOs like this.. i don't care if the game mechanics force talking or not.. without a guild or a good list of friends any MMO would get boring to me after awhile. 

When I started playing EQ back in 1999, I didn't have to join a guild to enjoy immense amounts of socializing and chatter in that game.  Instancing and phasing and action combat all add to these games feeling like they're dead.  Game mechanics try to force people apart and guilds encourage people not to socialize and chatter outside of said guilds and action combat means people are generally too busy to socialize even in their groups.  I miss the slower combat of EQ as it allowed people to chatter and switch up tactics on the fly without punishing players for the smallest mistakes.

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    Yep. It's not the game, its everyone else. We just don't know how to have fun. Shame on us simple minded brainwashed peons.
  • ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

I respect your opinions Spock but I dont agree with most of them.  I am of the opinion that there is a certain segment of people out there that are just "burnt" out of MMO's and I would say you elicit strong indicators of such.  [mod edit]

[mod edit]

I wont try and convince you on why you are wrong but suffice it to say, GW2 was an open book for the last year or so of development and we knew exactly what we were getting.  I wont try to convince you that trying to play something that didn't suit your needs or wants was foolish, nor will I try to convince you that playing a game based on hype is foolish.  I understand your opinions are your own but it was you that decided to play a game that didnt fit your ideas.  It would be like me picking up Planetside 2 or Arche Age (Which IMO are horrible games by "my" standards) and getting pissed because it had things I think are stupid in an MMO.  All I can say give the genre a break and pick games on their own merits next time.

As a semi-casual player, with quite a bit of extra disposible income, who loves siege warfare and open ended world exploration without the reliance of stat progression and 39 others to progress, GW2 is the pinnacle of game design for me.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Really? I'm rank 13 in sPvP got my gear and got bored of Spvp, went to WvW, enjoyed it for a few days, played it non-stop and spent all my gold on siege, then got bored. I already have my full exotic set from running CoF for like 4 days...

what other progression should i go for? The stats of my character in PvP and PvE are set and so are my looks... there's not much more to do, same goes for all my guildmates(some with two 80s in full exotics already).

Am i going to continue to do WvW and plummit into bankrupcy for no purpose other than fun? Continue Spvp to get some unobtainable and ridiculously high ranks that mean nothing? Am I going to run average dungeons with people who suck for no gear or anything of value?

There's hardly any ways to make money in this game and even with money the only thing you can spend it on is WvW or cosmetics, there's no progression.

why are your looks set? also one exotic set offers one set of stats for only a few limited build sets.. you want to really play a class you will need multiple sets of armor to fill out the other roles.. GW2 character progressing is about builds.. the trait system when combined with the right armor, weapons, sigils, and runes can completely change how you play a class.. to maxamize any character for multiple builds and become proficient with it will take a good long time and to do multipe classes will take a very long time.. here's a question what is your purpose for progressing in any themepark? to get to that next raid? what happens when you complete all the raids and have the best gear what do you do then? in GW2 you have lots of side activties you can enjoy and many more to come.. what people are saying is they really just don't enjoy what the game has to offer which is fine but the game has a TON to offer for people who actually enjoy what's there...

On top of the multiple branching stories you have all the zones to play through, you have world completeion, you have all the jumping puzzles, you have dye hunting,  do some crafting, play with the mystic forge not to mention a large content patch is schedule for sometime in november with a bunch of sPVP updates as well.. for a newly released MMO this game has a LOT to do just many are tired of the themepark design and it's understandable as many nowadays  often need that "purpose" to continue playing. Thing is that purpose does vary greatly from person to person..

Originally posted by Zylaxx

I respect your opinions Spock but I dont agree with most of them.  I am of the opinion that there is a certain segment of people out there that are just "burnt" out of MMO's and I would say you elicit strong indicators of such.  Contrary to what the Trolls & Haters have said to the contrary.

I can assure you none of my guildies are burnt out on MMOs, there's just nothing left to do in GW2 after a short period of time for any non-casual players, and coming from TERA, obviously none of us are casual.

Were not burnt out of MMOs, were burnt out on content, because there's not much MMO content, themeparks continue to provide less and less MMO content and more FPS/Minigame solo non-social carrot-free casualized progressionless carebear nonsense.

@Aerowyn - I know there's a lot of content but it ties into what i'm saying to Zylaxx, there's not a lot of MMO content, going around alone and doing boring hearts and whatnot for world completion is RPG, single player, mario content, not MMO content. And I don't need 20 sets of gear to play my character right, I do well in WvW and PvE with my full dps/crit armor and my survivability trait set. As for Spvp, I can buy one set of every type of gear and spend one day experimenting and then swap between any of my option on a whim, no progression needed to get every single set of everything in spvp outside of cosmetics.

Regardless 3 of my TERA guildies already have 100% world completion anyways, however I can't be bothered.

Guild wars 2 is a great game for what it is don't get me wrong but I can't see people playing this game anything but very casually/on-off within a few months time. There's just no reason to, especially without the sub-fee. I personally sign in day to day with a growing feeling of wondering what to do and asking myself why i'm playing, having guildies signing in less and less doesn't help with that feeling.

Originally posted by Zylaxx

I respect your opinions Spock but I dont agree with most of them.  I am of the opinion that there is a certain segment of people out there that are just "burnt" out of MMO's and I would say you elicit strong indicators of such.  Contrary to what the Trolls & Haters have said to the contrary.

I can assure you none of my guildies are burnt out on MMOs, there's just nothing left to do in GW2 after a short period of time for any non-casual players, and coming from TERA, obviously none of us are casual.

Were not burnt out of MMOs, were burnt out on content, because there's not much MMO content, themeparks continue to provide less and less MMO content and more FPS/Minigame solo non-social carrot-free casualized progressionless carebear nonsense.

i'd really love for you to show me a single themepark at release that offered as much content as GW2 offers right now.. i have played them all and GW2 has more unique things to do at launch than any themepark I can think of..

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Sucks to see you burn out on GW2, BadSpock.  Maybe you'll like it better as the game matures a bit and Anet starts adding/changing DEs, etc.

You brought up some very good points, especially about Orr.  I'm almost there so I can't comment on it yet.  Anyway, I hope you have posted your thoughts to the official forums so Anet can have a chance to address them (provided others post similar feelings); I've seen they are very receptive to ideas.

For myself, I still think the game is total awesomeness and look forward to playing more.  Perhaps it's because I have to share my computer time with my wife and kids and they are also having a blast with the game.  To watch them at various times have so much fun in the game just makes me want to play more often.  :)  I expect it will be even better when we get a new computer set up so two of us can play together.  Can't wait for that!

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!