Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lord of the Rings Online: Turbine Layoffs Confirmed

1235»

Comments

• starwarsnutstarwarsnut Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Originally posted by Gaborik
    Originally posted by DavisFlight
    LotRO has the biggest IP in the entire world, and they're limping along in barely relavent FTP, dumping out an expansion once in a blue moon that adds almost nothing. Mounted combat is the biggest feature to hit LotRO since launch, and it isn't even that good. That's kind of sad. Darkfall launched with mounted combat.

Wrong Star Wars has the biggest IP in the entire world. Wrong lotro is not limping along. Question how many years has wow been out how many years has lotro been out? How many expansions has wow put out how many expansions has lotro put out? Every blue moon hmm? Try playing the game before you speak about a game thanks.

Well ive played the game from closed beta to a little after mirkwood, Itryed roi beta was crap tryed isen live was crap tryed ror beta was crap tryed ror live was more crap. Uninstalled lotro after 5 years of garbage and a wasted IP.

The moors was not revamped or "new" all they did was move 2 outposts and 2 rez points around and add buffs to keeps and outposts lol. Wheres the suposed new pvp map? that we were told 2 times about 5 years in nothing but 2 rez points and 2 outposts moved? Its a slap in the face to the pvp players what's left that is.

There was a turbine employee dating a customer lol believe what you will. The point was about ethics and proffesionalism which lotro devs/gm's had none of. Accusing and banning my friend for suposedly buying 3000$ in gold lol they didnt even apoligize for the mistake and told him to shut up about it.

CS/GM's telling people oh just go redo that 2 hour raid that took you a month to organize due to thier loot chest bieng bugged.

These along with the grocery store now are the main reason lotro has failed since f2p.

So i think you should play the game more or be more informed about it before you speak

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    This article never stated the layoffs were from the LOTRO team. And just last week they added 5 experienced developers. So these comments about the layoff prove lotro is failing are misguided. Granted lotro is not the most populated mmo out there or to some not the best. But from what my kinmates and experience day in and day out its still a very good and active game. I would bet the road to Mordor will continue and it will be a fun ride.

Yes, most comments are misguided from the title of the thread. They just see LOTRO - Layoffs and proceed with LOTRO bashingimage

• GaborikGaborik Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by starwarsnut

LotRO has the biggest IP in the entire world, and they're limping along in barely relavent FTP, dumping out an expansion once in a blue moon that adds almost nothing. Mounted combat is the biggest feature to hit LotRO since launch, and it isn't even that good. That's kind of sad. Darkfall launched with mounted combat.

Wrong Star Wars has the biggest IP in the entire world. Wrong lotro is not limping along. Question how many years has wow been out how many years has lotro been out? How many expansions has wow put out how many expansions has lotro put out? Every blue moon hmm? Try playing the game before you speak about a game thanks.

Well ive played the game from closed beta to a little after mirkwood, Itryed roi beta was crap tryed isen live was crap tryed ror beta was crap tryed ror live was more crap. Uninstalled lotro after 5 years of garbage and a wasted IP.

The moors was not revamped or "new" all they did was move 2 outposts and 2 rez points around and add buffs to keeps and outposts lol. Wheres the suposed new pvp map? that we were told 2 times about 5 years in nothing but 2 rez points and 2 outposts moved? Its a slap in the face to the pvp players what's left that is.

There was a turbine employee dating a customer lol believe what you will. The point was about ethics and proffesionalism which lotro devs/gm's had none of. Accusing and banning my friend for suposedly buying 3000$ in gold lol they didnt even apoligize for the mistake and told him to shut up about it.

CS/GM's telling people oh just go redo that 2 hour raid that took you a month to organize due to thier loot chest bieng bugged.

These along with the grocery store now are the main reason lotro has failed since f2p.

So i think you should play the game more or be more informed about it before you speak

Again because one gm dated a player (this again not coming from a very reliable source)makes all of turbine unethical as you call it? Your friend bought 3000 gold? He should be banned (again this from an unreliable source shiw us these email). This isnt wow 3000 gold is a ton in lotro if you played you would know this. As for moors feel free to read this http://www.lotro.com/gameinfo/devdiaries/2236-riders-of-rohan-developer-diary-the-ettenmoors, a lot more there than you discribed. Feel free to explain which raid you speak of that took a month to organize? Which loot chest was bugged? As for you played the beta of ROR and therefore make your opinion about ROR is laughable. Im sure it was the 1st session which was a very stripped down version. Dude you dont like lotro its clear just move on making these claims like gm dating, friend bought 3000 gold and being banned makes you look silly.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by keirion
    Originally posted by Papadam
    Originally posted by Papadam

The instance cluster showed on the page that it was included the first 3 days when pre-orders went live! Then they made a stealth update to the page and removed it!

When people got angry and felt mislead, they came out and posted that it was a Copy/Pasta mistake from previous Rise of Isengard expasion! LOL

It took then a whole outrage on the forums that went on for several weeks! before Turbine decided to include the Instance Cluster within the expansion again. And only if you buy it with money! With TP you have to buy everything seperately and in end cost you a lot more!

And what you blattering about server merges man?? No one in this entire topic has ever mentioned that? lol. /shrug

FYI, you're currently offering false information, which undermines the accurate information in your post.

If you buy the expansion as an expansion in their Turbine point store, you will get the instance cluster included. This is an UPGRADE from the previous expansion where they could only offer it piecemeal until the cluster came out due to the lack of tech to be able to sell things that were not yet released.

It is true that people weren't pleased with the pricing with the lack of instance clusters. However, Turbine responded and fixed it, which is a lot more than most developers would do. Players as a whole are VERY happy with the expansion on all counts.

They didn't fix it! They were FORCED to fix it, as people refused to pay 40 bucks for a questpack and started demanding refunds based on false advertisment! Plus the outrage on both official and public forums didn't do them any good either!

The worst was that initially when the Pre-order page went live, it actually showed the Instance Cluster was included!

Then they waited three days to cash in on the initial pre-order rush, to suddenly remove the instance cluster from the pre-order with no notification whatsoever!

When people suddenly discovered this little stealth update and became very angry and rightfully so, they were forced to respond.

The response was that it was a "Copy / Paste" error from the previous Rise of Isengard expansion an that it was never intended to include an instance cluster to the Rohan expansion!

Then they waited for several weeks to see if people would buy this farce of an explanation and if they could get away with, before they finally decided to include the instance cluster within the expansion again!  /facepalm

You are completely missing his point.  This expansion they are selling the expansion as a whole, with the instance cluster, for POINTS.  Something they didn't do last year.  It's jsut about the only good thing they did this year.

Again because one gm dated a player (this again not coming from a very reliable source)makes all of turbine unethical as you call it? Your friend bought 3000 gold? He should be banned (again this from an unreliable source shiw us these email). This isnt wow 3000 gold is a ton in lotro if you played you would know this. As for moors feel free to read this http://www.lotro.com/gameinfo/devdiaries/2236-riders-of-rohan-developer-diary-the-ettenmoors, a lot more there than you discribed. Feel free to explain which raid you speak of that took a month to organize? Which loot chest was bugged? As for you played the beta of ROR and therefore make your opinion about ROR is laughable. Im sure it was the 1st session which was a very stripped down version. Dude you dont like lotro its clear just move on making these claims like gm dating, friend bought 3000 gold and being banned makes you look silly.

thank you for proving my point about ethics. As you can see here this the kind of person who lotro wants to cater to.

Whats silly is a gm accusing a player of buying 3000$ worth of gold thats whats silly stupifd and unethical. For you to say and think thats a justifiable thing is the real joke. I have played its why i know its ridiculous which is why im discussing it in the first place. Its idiotic for a gm to ban someone who appealed for over a year to get his account back and got it back a year later and was told to shut up about it.

Frelorn was dating a customer who's in a monster player tribe. Its why they removed the monster player manual link off the elindilmir forums b/c i filed a ticket about and they investigated and removed the monster player manual.

The raid i speak of is moria gear back in the day and rift if you see people have jobs and lives and you have to organize the raids and times around that its apparent you arent in a guild even lol. This is a common bug in lotro even know i still hear about that chest loot bug.

As for the moors i dont need to read i been out there and played it. Anyone whos a pvp'er knows all they did was move 2 outposts and 2 rez points and added some buffs. Thats it

I find it interesting you dont want to discuss the suposed pvp map they lied their butts off about 2 times in a row. Btw im rank 15 which is worthless as well. 

so yes based on 5 years of game play and seeing their highly unethical behavior i do stand by that statement. 

Do you understand what unethical means? It means unproffesional. Imagine going to get burger king and theres illegal aliens working in ther kitchen dropping food on the floor and picking it up and putting the hamburger back on hamburger buns and serving it to you. Well thats what turbine gm/cs has done the last 5 years.

I can tell you havent played lotro long if you believe you what you do there. The diiference between the moors of shadows of angmar launch and now is they moved 2 outposts and 2 rez points added buffs and the delving thats pretty much it. They lied about that new pvp map. So defend away fanboi it is what it is

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329

Well after this last rant i think i have it figured out. You had a crush on a creep (thats what they call monsters). She told you that she was dating a gm and if you keep harassing her she will report you. You also tried to buy 3000 gold and got caught. Its also obvious you have not played since moria since your so called raid that took over a month to put together was the rift. Just an fyi there are orthac, draig and skraids going on all day on my server. Thats fine you can call me a fanboi because i like to correct tro!!s.

Not always the case. About a years ago when I still played LOTRO I sold a items for something like 350 gold or something like that on the AH and was banned for 30 days  because they said that I had bought gold. I tried to petition the ban letting them know that I had recieved the gold from an item sold on the AH. All I recieved back was a email from a GM saying thanks for supporting the game but I had no items placed on the auction house and was lying.

GM's seem to be pretty shady in this game. At least in my experince with them. lol

• UzikUzik Member UncommonPosts: 281

In other news, Asheron's Call still requires a purchase and subscription and still has enough players to keep the game running and get monthly content packs.

WB should have just let Turbine do their thing.

(Uzik ibnYaraq in game. Always willing to help.)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/UzikAlJhamin

• GaborikGaborik Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by f0dell54

Well after this last rant i think i have it figured out. You had a crush on a creep (thats what they call monsters). She told you that she was dating a gm and if you keep harassing her she will report you. You also tried to buy 3000 gold and got caught. Its also obvious you have not played since moria since your so called raid that took over a month to put together was the rift. Just an fyi there are orthac, draig and skraids going on all day on my server. Thats fine you can call me a fanboi because i like to correct tro!!s.

Not always the case. About a years ago when I still played LOTRO I sold a items for something like 350 gold or something like that on the AH and was banned for 30 days  because they said that I had bought gold. I tried to petition the ban letting them know that I had recieved the gold from an item sold on the AH. All I recieved back was a email from a GM saying thanks for supporting the game but I had no items placed on the auction house and was lying.

GM's seem to be pretty shady in this game. At least in my experince with them. lol

Well I didnt say every case is wrong or a lie. But some people by their comments hint there is more to their story than they say. I would believe this could happen, what ive heard the 1st offence they just take back the gold and warn you. But every case is different iguess.
    Originally posted by f0dell54

Well I didnt say every case is wrong or a lie. But some people by their comments hint there is more to their story than they say. I would believe this could happen, what ive heard the 1st offence they just take back the gold and warn you. But every case is different iguess.

it took my friend over a year to get his account back emailing them every day for over a year then they dont even apoligize to him they just say heres your account back shut up about this. Theres nothing hidden or any of this bs either the community knew who this person was and stood up for him it caused a big mess and everyone filed tickets saying this is bs and a year later oh guess what the gm was wrong.

3000 in gold is crazy my arguement to the gm was if anyone bought 3000 in gold they need physcilogical help the game would be the least of thier worries its just crazy as the community filed saying the same thing its just ridiculous.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

So LOTRO going Freemium F2P wasn't because the game was doing bad. They just wanted to increase their revenue further after the initial success with DDO.

LOTRO is the most successful MMO of all time.  We are going F2P to let the masses enjoy this game.  Siege of Mirkwood was a tremendous critical and financial success and our player base is very happy with the state of the game.

Nice revisionist history there.  LOL.

There seem to be like, 3 LotRO fans that keep trying to derail this topic with some weird posts about a girlfriend or something? They're very ignorant to how small LotRO actually is in the MMO world.

ROFL! I am burning Turbine on the stake here in this topic and I am called a LOTRO fan??  Classic!!

No, I was responding to you, saying that most people agree with you.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

LOTRO has been the most sucessful MMO to be released since WIOW. All the rest have just been far worse. LOTRO has won loads of awards. People saying to be crap is just a matter of opinion, and not fact, unlike SWTOR which is crap as fact

Again this thread is a farce, most posts are on the subject of "LOTRO layoffs" not "Turbine Layoffs" because of the misleadiong title

DDO has more chance of shutting down before LOTRO, and DDO will be more affected by this.

• dreamsofwardreamsofwar Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

So LOTRO going Freemium F2P wasn't because the game was doing bad. They just wanted to increase their revenue further after the initial success with DDO.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

I can confirm that Brandywine, which is arguably the highest populated server of the game, still remains highly populated.

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    The game lost me with RoI.
  • JackFrostyJackFrosty Member Posts: 103

Maybe they are just thinning out the herd on projects like LOTRO and DDO so they can allocate more resources to their new Harry Potter MMO?

Would seem logical.

When I wake up, the real nightmare begins

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

F2P is not the Holy Grail.

Converting a subscription game to F2P only gives a game a temporary extension of life. In the case of Lotro, the F2P boost was quite significant, because it was the first AAA MMO to go F2P. In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King.

But nowadays, Lotro has to compete in an ocean of F2P AAA MMO's. Many of these F2P MMO's are new on the scene. Many AAA MMO's in production are launching as F2P or B2P with Cash Shop.

So Lotro's early advantage has been lost. The Cash Shop spend of players is being spread across more and more games, which means that each single game is earning less and less per player. And the players are demanding more and more free content !

Sooner or later gamers will wake up to the reality that quality MMO's cost a lot of money to make AND to play. You can only play for free if someone else is paying for your play time. That is the reality.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Don't know which server you play on, but I play on 3 or 4 that are doing great, don't have time to check out the other servers.   For example the other night I had 3 pages of 75+ people in my kin leveling and we are not the biggest kin.   Oh and by the way the low level areas are not empty, their are lots of people trying the game out all the time.  So the only thing I can think of you must have chosen a bad server.

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Unfortunate for those who've lost their jobs - and if "corporate culture" is playing out as usual, it's not the people who made the poor decisions who are being fired, but the ones whose job was to follow them, no matter what. Those most deserving of getting the axe rarely ever do, they always find a way to shift the blame to their "underlings". I've seen it, and even experienced it, several times in my life. I was fired on grounds of something I had nothing to do with. My boss's head was on the chopping block and he had to do what it took to "fix it". Not wanting to fess up and admit that he had screwed up, he found a way to BS his bosses by passing the blame on to others. Of course, firing people didn't fix anything because the people he fired weren't the problem. He was. So the problems persisted. It eventually caught up with him, in my case at least.

As for Turbine and the decline of LoTRO, doesn't surprise me. That game started losing its magic for me a long time ago, around the time of Moria. A move to F2P means a fundamental shift in how your MMO is designed. Instead of being designed to provide a lasting and engaging experience that players will happily pay $15 a month to immerse themselves in, it becomes about turning the game into a game of "how many ways can we compel people to spend more money?". LoTRO's freemium model was a nice idea in concept but it clearly wasn't panning out for them well enough and so they started making poor decisions centered around trying to get more money out of their players.

Though I don't know how many can identify what the problem is (I still see many people who vehemently defend F2P as "the future", even while they bash and complain about every F2P MMO they've tried, waiting for one to "get it right"), I think there's a more subtle "beneath the surface" recognition of what's happening. They haven't identified the cause yet, but they're clearly seeing the effect.

I'm not quite ready to say "I told you so", but there's a clear and steady shift happening in the MMO space right now, across the genre. People are starting to back off of their "F2P is the future!" positions, and beginning to see the huge cracks in it - both immediate and long term. If all plays out as I hope and anticipate it will, I'll never have to say "I told you so", because people will see it for themselves and we can get the hell rid of this abomination of a "revenue model".

Gaming should never be forced around having to choose how much real life money you're willing or capable to spend on individual in-game items to "improve your experience". The experience should be solid and fun and engaging enough to keep you wanting to play from the start. This is the philosophy all the best games out there - MMOs and otherwise - have followed. They didn't go with the "let's nickel and dime our players instead" approach.

Any revenue model that's built around getting as many people as possible, to spend as much money as possible as often as possible, by actually designing limitations, restrictions, speed-bumps, inconveniences and other negative experience factors into the game, while selling "solutions" to them in a cash shop should be, in my very strong opinion, shunned and refused.

What's kind of ironic is that the greed of these large companies is working against the F2P/Freemium model working for them. This is because, in my opinion, the people who call the shots only care about $$$. They know nothing, and care nothing, about providing an awesome MMO experience to the players. I doubt they even know what the hell that is. They only know about making more money.

So when they see a system that can - as has been proven and demonstrated - generate a technically unlimited amount of money for them, they get greedy and start pushing to get more and more. The result is the crap you see happening with games published or owned by these big companies. As the folks at CDProjekt put it, the customers are treated like milking cows, instead of as gamers.

Greed is coming back to bite them in the ass, and I couldn't be happier about it.

The sooner MMO developers can focus entirely on entertaining and engaging the player and earning their money for the experience and gets away from trying to milk the players for as much as they can with all these by-design restrictions and limitations they put on the experience, the better it'll be for everyone.

My opinion.

Again everything you have ever mentioned towards lotro was pre-moria. I fought Amathiel in Angmar big deal. I have never once said otro is the best mmo ever nor have I bashed another game. I enjoy lotro and I have a great kinship that enjoys it. When their are tro!!s crying and whining about stuff that supposedly happened 5yrs ago and then celebrate people getting fired I think that person should be called out. Turbine never ever hid their plan for pvp, it was never ever a major part to the game. I supplied you with a link to the changes to the moors you declined to read it. I just asked you two questioned and also made a comment how turbine never has released population numbers. Did you answer or respond? Nope you didnt. People can look back and read your tro!! Post like a few already have and commented on your nonsense. Enjoy gw2 i tried it and went back to lotro.

Read the post before you respond LOL. I said i played up to last week ror when i uninstalled. Its quite simple to see pop numbers go to fellowing tab this is what i mean you dont even know about that LOL. Thiers your answer the fact that i have to explain that to you is just lolz. They dont need to release numbers b/c bieng in the game and seeing fellow tab and bieng in the game also glff and other things can give you a general idea.

Turbine did say 2 times in a row thier was going to be a new pvp map seriously here you go http://www.lotro.com/news/pressreleases/910

Expanded Monster Play – LOTRO’s monster play system will get a major revamp including opening up the feature to all players, changes to monster player skills and advancement and a brand new region for players to battle for or against the forces of evil.

So there ya go dude i supose lotro itself is bieng silly and trolling eh?

Ive read and been in the ror moors i didnt need to read what i already knew lol. Which is sapience lying once again saying be amazed by the "new" moors when all they did was move 2 outposts and 2 rez spawns and added more buffs which are causing lag on top of the already bad lag there is lol. The moors is not or even revamped id say they just move some things around and said hey we have a new moors!! It may seem new to u but im not stupid thats not a new moors especially after lying about the pvp map

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

F2P is not the Holy Grail.

Converting a subscription game to F2P only gives a game a temporary extension of life. In the case of Lotro, the F2P boost was quite significant, because it was the first AAA MMO to go F2P. In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King.

But nowadays, Lotro has to compete in an ocean of F2P AAA MMO's. Many of these F2P MMO's are new on the scene. Many AAA MMO's in production are launching as F2P or B2P with Cash Shop.

So Lotro's early advantage has been lost. The Cash Shop spend of players is being spread across more and more games, which means that each single game is earning less and less per player. And the players are demanding more and more free content !

Sooner or later gamers will wake up to the reality that quality MMO's cost a lot of money to make AND to play. You can only play for free if someone else is paying for your play time. That is the reality.

Exactly.

I would also like to see Mr Richard "F2P is your future, stop denying it" Aihoshi's take in this mess when Funcom and Bioware/EA are next.

For some, laying off x percent of your staff stilll translates into "yes, going F2P was a huge success" in PR language.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Again everything you have ever mentioned towards lotro was pre-moria. I fought Amathiel in Angmar big deal. I have never once said otro is the best mmo ever nor have I bashed another game. I enjoy lotro and I have a great kinship that enjoys it. When their are tro!!s crying and whining about stuff that supposedly happened 5yrs ago and then celebrate people getting fired I think that person should be called out. Turbine never ever hid their plan for pvp, it was never ever a major part to the game. I supplied you with a link to the changes to the moors you declined to read it. I just asked you two questioned and also made a comment how turbine never has released population numbers. Did you answer or respond? Nope you didnt. People can look back and read your tro!! Post like a few already have and commented on your nonsense. Enjoy gw2 i tried it and went back to lotro.

Read the post before you respond LOL. I said i played up to last week ror when i uninstalled. Its quite simple to see pop numbers go to fellowing tab this is what i mean you dont even know about that LOL. Thiers your answer the fact that i have to explain that to you is just lolz. They dont need to release numbers b/c bieng in the game and seeing fellow tab and bieng in the game also glff and other things can give you a general idea.

Turbine did say 2 times in a row thier was going to be a new pvp map seriously here you go http://www.lotro.com/news/pressreleases/910

Expanded Monster Play – LOTRO’s monster play system will get a major revamp including opening up the feature to all players, changes to monster player skills and advancement and a brand new region for players to battle for or against the forces of evil.

So there ya go dude i supose lotro itself is bieng silly and trolling eh?

Ive read and been in the ror moors i didnt need to read what i already knew lol. Which is sapience lying once again saying be amazed by the "new" moors when all they did was move 2 outposts and 2 rez spawns and added more buffs which are causing lag on top of the already bad lag there is lol. The moors is not or even revamped id say they just move some things around and said hey we have a new moors!! It may seem new to u but im not stupid thats not a new moors especially after lying about the pvp map

If you are going to post, at least post in English, trying to read that hurt my eyes.  The only thing I could discern was that you were tired of Lotro.  It happens to all of us, try something else, but despite your protestations, Lotro is doing just fine.  Now I can't say how DDO is doing, my guess is not well, it is a rather closed game compared to lotro.