Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Wizardry Online: Hardcore? You Bet It Is!

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During SOE Live last weekend, the Wizardry Online team was on hand to talk more about the game that Sony Online calls "thirty years in the making". It's a game with lots of history and big shoes to fill. See what we learned about WO and then weigh in on the conversation when finished!

We had the opportunity to chat with Senior Producer Todd Carson and other members of his team about Wizardry Online and, honestly, I have to start with my favorite line of the day:

"With permadeath, sometimes you're just dead."

Read more of Suzie Ford's Wizardry Online: Hardcore? You Bet It Is!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    So it has cute Pokemon characters but also mature rating? That is odd. Other than that it sounds great. I am personally not for perma death, I think it leads to people avoiding combat rather than embracing it, but the rest sounds nice.
  • bluezone5bluezone5 Member UncommonPosts: 14
    I think its going to be great for hardcore PVP fans, but with the stress of permadeath, I believe it might die in a short time period.
  • YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363
    sounds awesome! so sick of carebear MMOs, mostly feel pointless because of missing consequences
  • bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Originally posted by Yamota
    So it has cute Pokemon characters but also mature rating? That is odd. Other than that it sounds great. I am personally not for perma death, I think it leads to people avoiding combat rather than embracing it, but the rest sounds nice.

goggle: When They Cry,  you can't spell slaughter without laughter.

• bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297

this game better have stable servers otherwise it will die quicker swtor

i think this game will end up being more about pve then pve since being an annoying douche will garentee you dieing

• notusernotuser Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto
    sounds awesome! so sick of carebear MMOs, mostly feel pointless because of missing consequences

total agree

50% of mmorpg has been ruined by carebear

crying in forums..

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Colour me interested.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Strangely enough, though totally a carebear this game is of interest to me (heck, I signed up for the beta) because it's one of the few fresh new things out there in terms of design.

And it sounds very group focused (shall we call it "forced?")  Sounds good to me.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Strangely enough, though totally a carebear this game is of interest to me (heck, I signed up for the beta) because it's one of the few fresh new things out there in terms of design.

And it sounds very group focused (shall we call it "forced?")  Sounds good to me.

-Yes... Yes...Yes...

Just waiting to see how the Ca$h $hop evolves. I like everything but the fact that I have heard (do not remember where I heard this or if even true) that there will be cash Shop items to avoid permadeath (or increase resurection chance?) idk- Something like that-

Other than that I am really liking the ideal for this game- Then again the Wiz series is one of my favorites until the Japenese butchered it (compare the Ps3 Wiz to Wiz 8) with "cute" monsters and lolicon. Gameplay-wise though- I very much like.

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363
    I really hope it will be free of random people zerging a la gw2...
  • bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by Kyleran

This and Unholy Wars eh? Stop the carebear pretence and come join the sociopaths club, we have such good fun :p

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

I guess there's always a first for everyone :) I usually try out any online game which seems interesting (so a big no to DotA clones :) ), regardless of the reviews or pre-launch test infos. And Wizardry was one of my favourite series back in the days.

But constant gank-fest with permadeath, and if you bored of it, there's no exploration or crafting or anything, only dungeon crawling (I loathed diablo and it's clones), and even that dungeon crawl is with " emphasis is on combat, not 'adventure'. "

So,

"Does the style of gaming that Wizardry Online is bringing to the MMO-space appeal to you or not?"

no thanks, I'll pass, based on those infos :)

(and before someone adds, yep I know Wizardy and Dungeon Master and the Beholders were 'technically' dungeon crawlers too, but what was great 20+ years ago on a 286 pc is not necessarily enough today :) )

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

I would purposefully wait the first 2-3 days till the player(ganker)-population figures out that permadeath goes both ways....

There is no aggro-reset.

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489
    Yes please!

a yo ho ho

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

Nope.

That's how I'm going to play the game. My blood thirsty horde of 93 will be there. Together, zerging the CRAP out of anywhere we can.

Why? Cuz it's fun.

a yo ho ho

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    So sick of no consequence to my actions. I will play this game if for no other reason than the devs have balls to treat adults like adults.
  • protodoxaprotodoxa Member Posts: 14
    Another carebear strangely excited for this game. I really like some of the Wizardry titles (played 6 on my cell phone with a dosbox emulator for a good minute and it was very neat). There's something really rewarding about surviving a floor of a dungeon in Wizardry and other games from that period (Might and Magic, Ultima Underworld, etc.). Wizardry was just much more intense than the rest , and thus often a bit more rewarding.
  • chase17tnchase17tn Member Posts: 93
    if you dont like dark souls dont play this game if your like me and wished darksouls was a mmo play this game!

made by nonny
    and
    made by Braggi

thanks both u guys

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Atrocious to sully the Wizardry name with this POS!  Basically nothing from any of the prior Wizardry games is in this one.
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Atrocious to sully the Wizardry name with this POS!  Basically nothing from any of the prior Wizardry games is in this one.

-Oh but you are mistaken.

After Wiz 8 the IP was sold to the japenese (Chinese?) and they have literally kicked out TONS of "official" Wizardry games (more than 8 I believe).

To me, Wiz 7 and 8 were phenominal... What happened after that is "official" but not the Wizardry we have come to know and love.

Actually there were a couple Wiz games from Asiai which looked really good but getting a translation was impossible- The ones that DID get translated (including for the PS3) were very "cute". =/

EDIT: Essentially I see your point- My point is that the name has been soiled for a LONG TIME.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

You're like 10 years and ~25 games late to the party to complain about this.

Want something Wizardry?

Support: http://www.indiegogo.com/grimoireforever

Originally posted by AdamTM

You're like 10 years and ~25 games late to the party to complain about this.

Want something Wizardry?

Support: http://www.indiegogo.com/grimoireforever

Long live CLEVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And yes...You are SOOOOOOOOO correct.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Kind of what I'm thinking as well.  Sir-Tech (original founding company) created the Wizardry world.  A new company stepping in is about as useful to gaming as EA creating a new Ultima game (Original for Ultima was Richard Garriott, Origin Systems, Inc.).  Everything EA makes turns to garbage because the "suits" are not even gamers.

The founders for any original game had passion for games and roleplaying.  The "license owning" companies these days are more concerned with how much money they can make, instead of making a superior game.

Geez, how long before a craptastic company comes along and tries to monetize Might and Magic as an MMORPG.  Ugh.

While we're at it, lets also sodomize Bard's Tale.  The SP remake wasn't bad enough?

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Originally posted by Karteli

Kind of what I'm thinking as well.  Sir-Tech (original founding company) created the Wizardry world.  A new company stepping in is about as useful to gaming as EA creating a new Ultima game (Original for Ultima was Richard Garriott, Origin Systems, Inc.).

The founders for any original game had passion for games and roleplaying.  The new companies these days are more concerned with how much money they can make, instead of making a superior game.

Geez, how long before a craptastic company comes along and tries to monetize Might and Magic as an MMORPG.  Ugh.

...Please do not give them any ideals. Imagine "mandate of heaven" or "World of Xeen" F2P with Cash Shop... You log in and the flashing ad says "Click here to buy Dragon Class" or "$2.99 chest key- Today ONLY"

EDIT: I see you now have given them bards tale as well... Yes the remake was bad... But not 2012 bad...yet...

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Well I don't really care about the title of the game. As someone who is living in 2012 and tired of no consequence mmos...this sounds pretty good.