Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria: Review in Progress Week 4 – Dungeons

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

We continue our ongoing series of articles leading up to our final review of World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria. In this week's edition, we take a look at the new dungeons that shipped with the latest expansion. Check it out!

There are a lot of areas in Mists of Pandaria that have gotten mixed reviews. However, one area that is really impressive to me is in the Dungeons. There are some very solid encounters to work through in each of the new instaces as well as the challenge modes. Challenge Mode really is the icing on the new dungeon system cake. I played the dungeons as a Healer on my Shaman, because of the quick wait times to get in. I am trying to write everything out here without giving spoilers, although by this time most of you have played through the instances anyway… still, enjoy the good and the bad as we comb through each.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria Review in Progress, Week 4: Dungeons.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• PandraxPandrax Member UncommonPosts: 341

If nothing else, the dungeons alone are worth playing this old gem one more time. The amount of detail and creativity they have put into their dungeons/raids and the new mechanics added to flesh out their replayability is top notch. There are many outdated things that come with playing World of Warcraft, but they have managed to keep their loot grind and dungeons fresh and unique, and this expansion has really impressed me when it comes to the instancing.

There are definitely a lot of bad things that came with this expansion, but most of it is just overcoming the changes they have made to the classes/talents.

I should also point out, I played Cataclysm for about a month when it released and have not played until about 2 weeks ago. It was very confusing when it came to leveling my level 85 character because of the amount of changes that were made. I am still a bit confused by all of the changes to the talents and spells of each class, but I am enjoying my time when I actually get free time to play.

~ ~

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths, Enwrought with golden and silver light, The blue and the dim and the dark cloths Of night and light and the half light, I would spread the cloths under your feet: But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

I loved the comparison to an old pair of comfy slippers, lol. It's so true.

I'm still leveling up my Monk through the old content (just got to 80 last night), so I haven't yet experienced the new dungeons, but you've given me a lot to look forward to. My friends have all been raving about the dungeons since week one. Hopefully this weekend I'll level up enough to try out the first one.

• PandraxPandrax Member UncommonPosts: 341
    Originally posted by rygard49

I loved the comparison to an old pair of comfy slippers, lol. It's so true.

I'm still leveling up my Monk through the old content (just got to 80 last night), so I haven't yet experienced the new dungeons, but you've given me a lot to look forward to. My friends have all been raving about the dungeons since week one. Hopefully this weekend I'll level up enough to try out the first one.

While you are leveling up your monk, the new scarlet monestary dungeons are quite nice. it was a pleasent surprise to see the changes they made to the classic dungeon.

~ ~

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths, Enwrought with golden and silver light, The blue and the dim and the dark cloths Of night and light and the half light, I would spread the cloths under your feet: But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848

One of the few bad things about MoPs dungeons is that between 85 and 90 there are 4 dungeons to do. There are 2 at level 85 and 2 at level 87. So, if you queue for LFG a lot while leveling you see these 4 a lot and are tired of them by the time you get to level 90 and now have to run them again on Heroic.

But I really like the attention to detail in most dungeons. Small little things that many people might not notice.

In Stormstout Brewery theres a room where you have 2 ghosts insulting the group in a Statler and Waldorf manner. And they have a lot of lines.

"I think this group will get better with age"
    "You think they will improve?"
    "No, my eyesight will get worse"
    "Hahahahaha"

Some people may complain about "breaking immersion" but its something that makes me laugh in an otherwise unfun Heroic run.

• SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Challenge Modes are really perfect way for sparetime challenged people to be competitive. I love competetive PvE. It's what I play for. And WoW has really few serious contenders on that arena. Here's hopeing for more competetive pve games in the future!
  • RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Have to say at first dungeons were getting a little too easy mode, but once you get past the first two starters, these are pretty good. Despite the quality, I'm still not going to keep a sub, I'm just not into the pc gaming anymore I guess. So when does this get released on a console?
  • gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413

The dungeons get more simple and streamlined every year. Its a shame when you think back to Blackrock Depths and now have to look at those "dungeons". Why is every developer afraid, that their players can't even make decisions where to go. GW2, WoW, TSW, Rift, SWTOR.....all the same. 

Goddamn, 4 rooms ordered in a few different ways are not epic dungeons. Don't get me started on the streamlined 2 Room raids nowadays. I would break out into tears instantly.

Hodor!

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

Challenge mode dungeons aside I personally found the heroic dungeons far too easy and lack any challenge at all. Also, on a side note I think the MoP LFR raids are the same, avoid of any challenge at all and it feels like just a loot hand-out once a week. I was actually pretty disappointed by the dungeons/raids in MoP, they get easier every expansion.

I'm looking forward to the challenge RiFT will bring to the table in Storm Legion, I'm sure you won't blast through each dungeon in 30 minutes.

• AcvivmAcvivm Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Originally posted by Coolit

Challenge mode dungeons aside I personally found the heroic dungeons far too easy and lack any challenge at all. Also, on a side note I think the MoP LFR raids are the same, avoid of any challenge at all and it feels like just a loot hand-out once a week. I was actually pretty disappointed by the dungeons/raids in MoP, they get easier every expansion.

I'm looking forward to the challenge RiFT will bring to the table in Storm Legion, I'm sure you won't blast through each dungeon in 30 minutes.

Heroics have always been easy, so has the LFR, LFR was made to be faceroll. About the only time when I remember heroics being challenging was back in Burning Crusade because some of the heroics were harder then usual (Shatt Halls - Shadow Labs) because they were made for players that had a little better gear then fresh lvl 70 blues and CC was required.

If your looking for challenge you will need to do the normal/heroic raids and stay away from LFR, Mogushan Vaults has its tough fights (Elegon) its definitely not a faceroll.

HEAVEN OR HELL
    Duel 1
    Lets ROCK!

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848

Originally posted by Coolit
    I think the MoP LFR raids are the same, avoid of any challenge at all and it feels like just a loot hand-out once a week. I was actually pretty disappointed by the dungeons/raids in MoP, they get easier every expansion.I'm looking forward to the challenge RiFT will bring to the table in Storm Legion, I'm sure you won't blast through each dungeon in 30 minutes.
    You clearly have not done any real raiding in MoP. Just because you've done LFR a few times doesnt mean you can judge the difficulty of the actual raids.

The raids are harder than previous entry raids and require exact timing and coordination.

Also, why would the dungeons in Storm Legion be any different than the 30 minute dungeons in Rift?

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Also, why would the dungeons in Storm Legion be any different than the 30 minute dungeons in Rift?

Actually the heroic dungeons when RiFT launched took 2-3 hours per dungeon even with a full guild group. Now that everyone out gears them ofc they are easy :) As SL will be a gear reset I expect them to be as hard and you won’t be clearing them in 30min any time soon.

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    I don't play WoW anymore... so i'm curious.  Why is a LFR run any easier than a actual guild raid?  If anything the disorganized nature of the LFR seems like it would make things harder.
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    Originally posted by ragz45
    I don't play WoW anymore... so i'm curious.  Why is a LFR run any easier than a actual guild raid?  If anything the disorganized nature of the LFR seems like it would make things harder.

LFR takes out all the boss mechanics,  or most of them. 

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    Originally posted by muffins89

But you get the same loot / rewards?  This doesn't seem right at all.  I swear LFD/R systems like WoW's system are the root cause of a lot that has gone wrong with MMO's.  Join up with zero effort, don't say one word the entire time, get the same rewards as those that do guild runs and actually socialize.

• ZecktorinZecktorin Member Posts: 231

But you get the same loot / rewards?  This doesn't seem right at all.  I swear LFD/R systems like WoW's system are the root cause of a lot that has gone wrong with MMO's.  Join up with zero effort, don't say one word the entire time, get the same rewards as those that do guild runs and actually socialize.

No the loot from LFR is not as good as heroic or normal raid gear.

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

what zectorin said.  the loot isnt the same.  the purpose of LFR is to give people who arent "hardcore" a chance to see endgame. 

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

Also very misleading to say LFR takes out ´most´ of the mechanisms.  In actuality in MoP, almost all the mechanisms are the same for LFR as the real raid.   The biggest change is the damage is toned down a lot.   For instance, there is a boss where some of the players have to go into a spirit world and kill adds,  the more adds there are alive, the more damage the boss does to the rest of the raid.  In LFR, there are less adds in the spirit world and the damage they apply to the rest of the raid is less.     But it still can´t be ignore.   For this tier, mostly it feels like  LFR is simply the 10 man raid that is done by a 25 man PUG.

I have still wiped a few times in LFR..  Elergon and Guardians the first week.

The real difference between LFR and the real raids is that in LFR, most of the time you can learn during the encounter and overcome your mistakes.. in a real raid, you learn by wiping.  But in LFR, if enough people don´t learn fast enough, it can still be a wipe. .. ie.. half the healers not getting off the platform.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Azrile

Also very misleading to say LFR takes out ´most´ of the mechanisms.  In actuality in MoP, almost all the mechanisms are the same for LFR as the real raid.   The biggest change is the damage is toned down a lot.   For instance, there is a boss where some of the players have to go into a spirit world and kill adds,  the more adds there are alive, the more damage the boss does to the rest of the raid.  In LFR, there are less adds in the spirit world and the damage they apply to the rest of the raid is less.     But it still can´t be ignore.   For this tier, mostly it feels like  LFR is simply the 10 man raid that is done by a 25 man PUG.

I have still wiped a few times in LFR..  Elergon and Guardians the first week.

The real difference between LFR and the real raids is that in LFR, most of the time you can learn during the encounter and overcome your mistakes.. in a real raid, you learn by wiping.  But in LFR, if enough people don´t learn fast enough, it can still be a wipe. .. ie.. half the healers not getting off the platform.

In raids, many times 1 specific mechanic to overcome is basically the challenge in the whole fight (in addition to the basic move out of x, inturrput y, use cooldowns when Z happens).

In LFR, they leave in 95% of the origional version's mechanics, but the ones they DO remove, are the biggies that tone down the fight by a huge amount...not just the damage done.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858

Reasearch...it does a body good :-)

All of the loot in LFR is a big downgrade from the normal versions, you by no means "Join up with zero effort, don't say one word the entire time, get the same rewards as those that do guild runs and actually socialize."

.../sigh

• PantheosPantheos Member UncommonPosts: 56
    The dungeons I found to be pretty crappy really. Beer elementals? Really? That was the coffin in the nail for me. Was so sad to have purchased this. I'm not twelve. All the toilet humor and kiddy stuff just ended it for me.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

We are having multi-part pre release and post release reviews for new content now? It was getting ridiculous for new MMO's at launch but this is getting crazy now.

"economized the new dungeons" = Made smaller for tha casual crowd.

Humour in a high fantasy MMO is a very difficult balance, Vanguard fell down in that regard for me. Beer elementals do seem a bit silly and out of place.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Imo,best expansion ever released by Blizz.
  • simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    The absolute best MMO experience this year. Exception being The Secret World, extremely nice concept but too shallow on content.
  • Heretic451Heretic451 Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by Pantheos
    The dungeons I found to be pretty crappy really. Beer elementals? Really? That was the coffin in the nail for me. Was so sad to have purchased this. I'm not twelve. All the toilet humor and kiddy stuff just ended it for me.

Well, you have a stronger stomach than I. It was the Harley motorcycles that finally got to me. Didn't make it to beer elementals, but Jesus.

• Ashar1972Ashar1972 Member UncommonPosts: 24

Came back for a bit of nostalgia, and to get back in regular contact with Guildies. I have found this expansion to be lacking in interest, the dungeons fairly meaningless, overall fairly boring. I like the cartoon-style graphics of WoW, but overall the game feels like it is passed it's "used by" date. I know that is not the story for millions of other people, and I'm really glad they are happy with this expansion. I quit Cata after two weeks, so quitting MoP after probably  almost 2 monhs should be something of a compliment ;)

On a different note, after reconnecting with a group of childhood friends who are table-topping, I asked why they didn't play MMOs - the answer was very similar between them "Why pay to grind, why grind at all?" Food for devs' thoughts.