Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] The Elder Scrolls Online: On Fire with the Dragon Knight

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During last week's The Elder Scrolls Online preview event, our team got a hands on look at two of the classes that will ship with the game. In today's preview, we take a look at the Dragon Knight. See what we discovered skill by skill and then leave your thoughts in the comments.

During my time with Elder Scrolls Online last week, I managed to climb to level seven or so in the three hours we spent inside of Morrowind and Bleakrock Island. During that time I found myself falling in love with the class I happened to pick because Garrett and I had to split the two available.  I didn’t expect to enjoy the Dragonknight as much as I did. I was actually sad that there wasn’t a ranged class to try or a magic user as I thought they’d be more interesting in comparison to Garrett’s Templar hands-on.  But by the end of the day I’d grown to enjoy burning people with my Dragon Armor and yanking them to me like Scorpion straight out of Mortal Kombat.  Let me explain a bit more, skill by skill.

Read more of Bill Murphy's The Elder Scrolls Online: On Fire with the Dragon Knight.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Personally I loved playing Sword+Board in Skyrim - and I'd love it if some of the Perks from the Block tree made it into ESO.
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    So far the environments and character models look absolutely stunning!
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Awesome!
  • ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

AWESOME.

Not knowing what other classes (besides Templar) is in, I am sold on the DK, and it even has the same initials as one of my all time favorite classes the Deathknight from WoW.  I absolutely love Hybrid style classes and this just fits the bill.

I too wonder how the DK will be using a 2H and medium armor for more DPS and stealth feeling.  Or maybe a DK in Heavy Armor with a Longbow.  Ahhhhhhh the choices to make lol.

Thanks for the Writeup Bill.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

It's a very interesting progression system - that is going to be nearly impossible to balance lol.

Might make for some very cool custom classes though.

I'll be staying away from the PvP for a while hah

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I just want to see gameplay (is there any out?).  I heard that the combat system will be like the classic TES games and now I'm excited.
  • RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

Sounds good to be fare, the pulling your enemy to you sounds fun. It kind of reminds me of Vanguards Dread Knight except he does not light up lol. 

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/59425

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Yuk..... I hate games that don't let you play a straight martial class....where you as a fighter/martial class character you are pushed into using all sorts of  "magic-like" or "cartoonish magic looking" abilities in order to be effective. That's NOT the TES that I played...  When I played Skyrim/Oblivion, etc it was a straight up fighter, my character never used or did anything that looked remotely magical (even the "shouts") and they got by just fine. Everything was gritty and realistic...none of this glowing neon rays, crap...

Don't get me wrong...I'm perfectly fine with folks who WANT to play a Fighter/Magic User type having the option. THAT was the great thing about TES series...you got to CHOOSE the path's/abilities you wanted and could safely ignore the ones you don't.

Of course, we've only heard about a couple of classes so far...so I could be jumping the gun...but if they are going with a class based system, then they better put in the possibility of playing a straight up non-magical fighter and straight up non-magical rogue for each faction....something with no absurd, cartoonish looking effects.

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    So far the environments and character models look absolutely stunning!

not sure what youre looking at...i think the characters so far look bretty bland, the argionans have weird heads and all of the armor looks exactly the same cause it was all drawn obviously  by the same designer...

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

What are you expecting, Nemesis? Rainbow archery bows or over-sized shoulderpads and ridiculously proportioned limbs? This isn't WoW, lol.

I am glad the devs are going with the art style they have chosen.

well it looks worse than age of conan which is ooold...and im not even complaining about the art quality but about the style - all armors look exactly the same...boring, no creativity...very generic...

i am trying hard to be excited about the game but all sounds so generic uninspired and like its going to be just another huge downfall

i also cant understand why mmorpg.com is hyping the game that hard right now...and flodding the site without a single gameplay vid - so all the info is to be taken with a large grain of salt anyway. the game is 1 year away and daily articles pop up - weird

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    image-choo-image-choo-image---image

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• SalengerSalenger Member UncommonPosts: 554

AS much as I feel the combat and sandbox aspects of this game will suck, they are doing a good job on making the TES world look legit, the mobs and characters designs look very nice as well as the town and city screens we have seen.

I'll be buying TES online, but i have a bad bad feeling that it will turn out like SWTOR did.

• bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297

wow they ugly

people should try to keep in mind that when they log in and play the game it won't look anywhere near anything like that Tera wasn't even that grahpically intense it ran on the unreal engine

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

These last two articles sound cool, but unfortunate as well.

Is there any word of spell creation?  I know it was missing in skyrim, but I loved it in oblivion.   It would be nice if we could customize in some way our abilities.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by Nemesis7884

well it looks worse than age of conan

rofl need your eyes checked.

• bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    Fantastic! It looks that bad girl will turn in to real beauty
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Wait and see for me but hoping it doesn't disappoint.
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Some of you guys got really hyped without seeing even a single gameplay video. I feel bad for you already :D
  • ChaserzChaserz Member UncommonPosts: 317
    Originally posted by Xarko
    Some of you guys got really hyped without seeing even a single gameplay video. I feel bad for you already :D
    Considering this highly successful title that started in 1994 has an established reputation of superior life like graphics its probably safe to say the screens are accurate of the quality this upcoming TES title.  But if you need a simple reference point try looking at a few Skyrim shots.  If you haven't I feel bad for you too.
    i think its pretty retarded to claim the game has to be good or has to have good graphics cause other games of the same universe had so...of course there has never been a bad sequel to an established line...
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Originally posted by Chaserz
    Considering this highly successful title that started in 1994 has an established reputation of superior life like graphics its probably safe to say the screens are accurate of the quality this upcoming TES title.  But if you need a simple reference point try looking at a few Skyrim shots.  If you haven't I feel bad for you too.

What are you talking about ? Who cares about graphics? Who talks about graphics?! Walls of text from devs and rewievers are always full of rainbows and unicorns, but how many times happened we watched a first gameplay video or try the game ourselfs and go like "WTF!" cuz combat was unresponsive etc. etc. etc. Anyone who experienced last few years of online gaming knows that feel well

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    I'm usually a pvp only kind of guy, but this is one game I could care less about pvp in. I don't like melee pvp but I do like melee pve.
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Chaserz

What are you talking about ? Who cares about graphics? Who talks about graphics?! Walls of text from devs and rewievers are always full of rainbows and unicorns, but how many times happened we watched a first gameplay video or try the game ourselfs and go like "WTF!" cuz combat was unresponsive etc. etc. etc. Anyone who experienced last few years of online gaming knows that feel well

I care about graphics.. I believe it's possible to have great graphics and great gameplay in a single game.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• nightfallrobnightfallrob Member Posts: 167
    Originally posted by salenger

AS much as I feel the combat and sandbox aspects of this game will suck, they are doing a good job on making the TES world look legit, the mobs and characters designs look very nice as well as the town and city screens we have seen.

I'll be buying TES online, but i have a bad bad feeling that it will turn out like SWTOR did.

I have SWTOR PTSD too lol. I'm hoping this is done well, and it sounds like it's got a lot of plusses in the game design. I like the one huge server, I like the basics of their PvP description, and obviously I like that it's Elder Scrolls. Right now I'm hope for the best, plan for the worst (i.e. no collector's edition for me lol).