Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Planetside 2 = success.....now what?

AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645

Well after playing Planetside 2 beta for a while I came up with an idea.

Remember there was suppose to be a Star Wars Battlefront 3 coming out but it got cancelled.

I love the planetside 2 format so why not make a star wars FPS game similar to the one in Planetside 2 without the heroes mode in Star Wars Battlefront(no need for jedi/sith), a star wars version of planetside 2. (EA better not be involved, they can stick to their madden games)

Factions: Imperials, Republic Clones, Rebels, Seperatist, the old republic troopers, Mandalorians, Pirates. (theres plenty of other factions that can be placed in the game, the only hard part is coming up with the weapons of the game)

A star wars MMOFPS, why not? Feel free to comment below with your opinions and your vote on the poll.

Looking at: The Repopulation
Preordering: None
Playing: Random Games

Comments

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    I say yes! Just for the fact that I walk around doing the yoda voice alot and drive a really cool car!
  • bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    So Plantside 2 but with Star Wars skins? Seems a bit pointless really. Although the BF series was a laugh.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

For me to play it, there would have to be a Hutt faction.  I've always wanted to play a ranged Huttese sniper, RPing as the tremendously slimmed down great grandson of Jabba who takes aim at scantily clad women on the battlefield.

But seriously, hell yes I'd play this.

• GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347
    Originally posted by bunnyhopper
    So Plantside 2 but with Star Wars skins? Seems a bit pointless really. Although the BF series was a laugh.

PS2 is basically Battlefield with PS artwork.

Very little of what made PS1 popular has remained for PS2, and the OP deeming it a "success" is premature at best. Judging by the majority opinion on the beta forums, the last word I would use to describe the game would be a "success" and I say this as a fan of the series.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Originally posted by jdlamson75

For me to play it, there would have to be a Hutt faction.  I've always wanted to play a ranged Huttese sniper, RPing as the tremendously slimmed down great grandson of Jabba who takes aim at scantily clad women on the battlefield.

But seriously, hell yes I'd play this.

Just imagine all the ships we would be able to fly Lol, would be epic.

• AconsarAconsar Member Posts: 262
    Originally posted by GolbezTheLion

Very little of what made PS1 popular has remained for PS2, and the OP deeming it a "success" is premature at best. Judging by the majority opinion on the beta forums, the last word I would use to describe the game would be a "success" and I say this as a fan of the series.

This.  SoE's model is making it into a cash grab.  The old subscription model had nothing wrong with it. 

I never played the original Planetside because SWG was taking over my gaming life. So I don't know how you feel about PS2, but I enjoy the game.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

i'd go so far as to say that almost nothing that made Planetside a success has been retained in Planetside 2, it's almost as if they didnt have anything to do with the original game, odd as that may seem, sure as hell they don't seem to have played it themselves or know much of anything about their own games history. Planetside 2 a success..  extremely unlikely..  and thats putting as much positive spin on it as i can. image

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

As pointless as any FPS game. Bring it on, I'd love to pilot some TIE's and AT-ST's on massive scale!

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

"A star wars MMOFPS, why not?"

I rather enjoyed Republic Commando...............

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

No idea if good or bad idea, but would not play personally.  Just don't feel much appeal.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    LA still has a license with SoE for Clone Wars. I could see SoE/LA selling a "skin pack" DLC for PS2 with the factions mentioned above. Great idea.
  • LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174
    Lucas Arts will just "NGE it" & sink that too....................
  • blognorgblognorg Member UncommonPosts: 643
    Originally posted by Phry

i'd go so far as to say that almost nothing that made Planetside a success has been retained in Planetside 2, it's almost as if they didnt have anything to do with the original game, odd as that may seem, sure as hell they don't seem to have played it themselves or know much of anything about their own games history. Planetside 2 a success..  extremely unlikely..  and thats putting as much positive spin on it as i can. image

I haven't played either one, but I was considering trying ot PS2. How was the first one different?

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    For those of us who never got a chance to Play PS1 can we see the differences.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    I say not a good idea because it would be an absolut mess to design without forcing races/groups into 2-# factions or other decisions that doesn't make sense within the universe. Gotta say though that flying an A-wing from the planet's surface and join a dog fight in high orbit would be a thrill.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Swtor
    Planet based combat should have been like planetside
    Space combat should have been like tie fighter
  • BoognisheBoognishe Member Posts: 83
    I can't believe I'm typing this, but it's time to let Star Wars go..  It's getting super old..  And I'm one of the biggest Star Wars marks around.. 
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,881
    Star Wars is really good IP, but if you take the jedi, lightsabers and force out of it, it ends up being medicore at best. Why would any developer aim to develop a game that's at best medicore, when you can use some other IP that fits and create a good game.

Originally posted by Vrika
    Star Wars is really good IP, but if you take the jedi, lightsabers and force out of it, it ends up being medicore at best. Why would any developer aim to develop a game that's at best medicore, when you can use some other IP that fits and create a good game.

If all you know from SW is jedi and lightsabers then you don't know much about the IP. Theres lots of ideas for a SW MMOFPS, lots of factions, the ones I named in my OP were only a portion of all of it. You don't need little jedi running around in the game, if you want jedi then they will give you commands and news of whats being captured and not captured. That would be it, all you need is a SW skin without jedi running around. Do you need a jedi to play a SW MMOFPS game? No IMO, if they will be playable characters/classes, it will turn out to be fail.

btw, SW IP will fit very well I don't see why not.

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Swtor
    Planet based combat should have been like planetside
    Space combat should have been like tie fighter

I'm lost, clarify?

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    People saying what made PS a sucess lol the game flopped hard everyone but hardcore fans know it did.  The game would of been dead years ago but SOE kept it on life support so it was just another game on the station access.  The truth is free realms has been carrying all SOE games along for years.   A subscription model MMOFPS will not work when you can spend 50$ on COD and never pay again unless you want map packs that come out what a few times a year and cost 5$ ? 
    Originally posted by William12
    People saying what made PS a sucess lol the game flopped hard everyone but hardcore fans know it did.  The game would of been dead years ago but SOE kept it on life support so it was just another game on the station access.  The truth is free realms has been carrying all SOE games along for years.   A subscription model MMOFPS will not work when you can spend 50$ on COD and never pay again unless you want map packs that come out what a few times a year and cost 5$ ? 

Its not about why its a success etc. It isn't about the payment model of the game, it seems like you are arguing over something that SOE already agrees with. That is why PS2 isn't sub based.....

It seems to me like your talking about the original planetside and I'm talking about Planetside 2. off-topic....

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

Not to derail this, but I'm pretty sure there are more people playing and enjoying the game than there are people complaining about how they want PS1 back. So yeah, it's gonna be a success, but one without the disgruntled vets in it.

Fun fact: Smedley already stated that there are more people playing PS2 on a daily basis than there were people playing PS1 :P.

Anyway, I hate it how they cancelled the next Battlefront! As buggy as the last one was, it was tons of fun.

Originally posted by BizkitNL

Not to derail this, but I'm pretty sure there are more people playing and enjoying the game than there are people complaining about how they want PS1 back. So yeah, it's gonna be a success, but one without the disgruntled vets in it.

Fun fact: Smedley already stated that there are more people playing PS2 on a daily basis than there were people playing PS1 :P.

Anyway, I hate it how they cancelled the next Battlefront! As buggy as the last one was, it was tons of fun.

I'm not a PS1 vet so I don't know how they feel, can a vet please explain the differences and explain why they want PS1 back or its better then PS2? I don't understand because all I've heard was PS1 is better but no explanation or clarification.