Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need Sanbox Game Recomendation

JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

I am looking for a new game to play and am looking for suggestions.  Before you start offering them, here are the things that I like.

1.  I am wanting a newer game.  That is I don't want to play old games that have poor graphics and controls.  So, something over the past 1-3 years.

2.  I prefer the game play in pre-WoW games.  Games like UO, EQ, AC, DAOC.

3.  I want to avoid heavily instanced worlds. 

4.  I miss dungeons and slaughtering things to level.  Quests are fun, but after 2 times I get bored of doing them.

5.  I want to avoid gear grinding.  I don't want to play an instanced area with a group of people running the nighmare mode of something over and over to get gear.  What makes games worse is that once you have the gear, all you do is run another instanced area for better gear. 

6.  I am not against going after gear, but I miss real raids.  That is 100+ people in an area going to slay a dragon where a lot of loot drops and you might get something.  The gear is good to have, but it is not needed in the game.

7.  I would like PvP.  I want real PvP, not sporting matches.  I hate the WoW model where it is two sides playing some game.  I miss DAOC. 

8.  I also do not like the following the road game design.  WAR had the worst world-design I have ever seen in a game.  You just walk down a road, do a quest, and keep walking. 

I doubt there are any games worth me checking out, but I thought I would ask just in case someone knows of a good game that would fit my interests. 

Comments

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832
    Originally posted by JulianDracos

I am looking for a new game to play and am looking for suggestions.  Before you start offering them, here are the things that I like.

1.  I am wanting a newer game.  That is I don't want to play old games that have poor graphics and controls.  So, something over the past 1-3 years.

4.  I miss dungeons and slaughtering things to level.  Quests are fun, but after 2 times I get bored of doing them.

5.  I want to avoid gear grinding.  I don't want to play an instanced area with a group of people running the nighmare mode of something over and over to get gear.  What makes games worse is that once you have the gear, all you do is run another instanced area for better gear. 

6.  I am not against going after gear, but I miss real raids.  That is 100+ people in an area going to slay a dragon where a lot of loot drops and you might get something.  The gear is good to have, but it is not needed in the game.

7.  I would like PvP.  I want real PvP, not sporting matches.  I hate the WoW model where it is two sides playing some game.  I miss DAOC. 

8.  I also do not like the following the road game design.  WAR had the worst world-design I have ever seen in a game.  You just walk down a road, do a quest, and keep walking. 

I doubt there are any games worth me checking out, but I thought I would ask just in case someone knows of a good game that would fit my interests. 

It's probably not going to be availble until sometime in 2013, but check out Pathfinder Online. It  hits alot of the points you are talking about. It's very high on my list, and alot of my preferences sound similar to yours.

Not sure if there is anything currently available for play that I would reccomend to you.

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

Thus you're missing a new old-school game. Welcome to the club, a few hundred thousands feel the same.

BTW, nothing in the description of what you like has any relation to sandbox.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Your kinda limiting yourself with 3 years, as that rules out eve, and eve keeps getting regular updates and looks "nice"

Gw2 has a decent attempt at rvr, its probably the 3rd best at it after daoc and planetside and ahead of war and aion. It is also very very not a gear based game, even less gear based than daoc. You can level through crafting, pve, WvW, exploring etc.. too.

It's probably the closest current game to daoc, it borrows a lot of ideas from daoc, not just WvW, e.g crafted gear is as good as any other gear, the way it does "raids".

Sadly we will probably never see a true daoc 2 though. :(

Why I've got into sandboxes, eve in the past, perpetuum for now (with gw2), looking at darkfall uw for future.
  • JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

Sandbox may have been a poor choice of terms.  The issue is that from WoW on, games have become themepark.  I don't want that.  It seems if people called SWG a sandbox game,, then I would use the term. 

Probably a new-old style game is most apt. 

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Your kinda limiting yourself with 3 years, as that rules out eve, and eve keeps getting regular updates and looks "nice"

I tried EVE and didn't like it.  I really wanted to like it, but I just couldn't get past the first part of the game.

The reason why I put a limit on the years is that I find it hard to play older games anymore.  I like the game play, but the graphics and controls are annoying to deal with anymore.

I really want a DAOC 2 :(

• naljejanaljeja Member Posts: 94
    DF UW coming in less than 3 weeks. It's got all you ask for
  • SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852
    Originally posted by JulianDracos

For Sandbox, the only one...would be, maybe DarkFall... (however I am really waiting or Archage but even then we shall see) ...there are no Sandbox MMO's presently, which are worthy of the Old School ones + meet your criteria.

And for a Themepark containing much (if not all) of the Gameplay you want (including PvP)...it would be GuildWars2 ..

All the others are Gear/Quest grinds, focussed on Progression ...

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • TharlogTharlog Member Posts: 36
    There aren't really any "newer" sandbox MMO's sadly... The newest game that comes to mind for me that has sandbox elements is Xsyon. There's also an interesting sandbox game called Salem but if you want good graphics you'll probably be dissapointed.