Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I feel like a noob (and loving it)

leojreimrocleojreimroc Member UncommonPosts: 371

Well it finally happened, I bought GW2.  I don't know why it took so long, but there you go.

I have to say, in recent months/years, I've been used to having most MMOs that I've played for the first time feel really comfortable, with always the same mechanics and quest styles.  I was used to going into the game for the first time, and largely knowing exactly what I'm supposed to be doing and approximately how to play and how to use my skills.

Well now with GW2, I'm pretty lost.  I have to admit that I didn't really follow the game too closely.  But yeah, it's so much fun being completely lost.  I'm wandering aimlessly, doing hearts, exploring, going to wherever the next small indicator on my map is.  I'll finish exploring this first map, then I guess I'll see where I go from there.

And hey, what's this?  A pop-up for WvWvW?  Cool.  When I tried it, guess what?  I had no idea what I was suppose to do.  Again, I open my minimap, saw some combats signs, and just went there.  I fought a bit, not sure why? I think we were defending a keep.  I followed some supplies for a bit, then it was over.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm having the same feeling again when I first started playing MMOs.  Since I didn't follow the game that much, I'm pretty much lost.  Everything is pretty new, new mechanics, PvP is new, and no clear cut quest lines.  I just a few minutes ago found the crafting stuff, after looking for it for a bit.

All in all, I'm enjoying being a noob again.  I haven't had that feeling for a long time.  I hope it lasts a while still.

Comments

• PaRoXiTiCPaRoXiTiC Member UncommonPosts: 603
    Nice post. Although I did not get that same feeling because I followed the game closely, I too am having a lot of fun in this game. Good luck to you.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Congratulations on your re-discovered "noobness"... A vastly underrated and very enjoyable state of mind image
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

i found going to your map and turning off the world completion markers really adds to the overall exploration feel of the game.. when I have them on i start looking at the maps as I need to go here and here to get this POI or vista.. with them off i just wander the zones and let the game come to me and it's worked wonderfully:)

glad you are having fun:)  i currently  got over 250 hours played now and still haven't seen about 40% of the world

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Well the quests in truth are basically the old quests you know and love (or don't love) just repackaged in one giant quest with multiple ways to do it. I didn't like that much but others might of. Over-all the game itself is pretty simple. Its one of the easier games in terms of mechanics to really get a feel for as you will be mostly learning to dodge and then figuring out the magic 2 keys to do damage while keeping in mind the few 'oh shoot' keys you might use.

Its really a very simple and noob friendly game when it comes down to it, its just a bit different having no guidance like other games. Once you get past that you will find its very easy to play and understand. Unfortunately I just figured out a lot of the components early on which made me get bored quickly of the game and ultimately (myself) found it to be a lack luster game for my liking. Its still at least a nice taste initially and if it carries through and you find yourself enjoying it you got a new game to have a blast on, otherwise you can always ask for a refund if the initial 'new car smell' fades and you find the game lack luster like I did. Win/win either way. 

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    EDIT:

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    This game is as streamlined as any other themepark mmorpg on the market. It's nice that you're having fun OP, but you could change the game title and you could have the exact same reaction on pretty much every other themepark out there.
  • HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by leojreimroc

Well it finally happened, I bought GW2.  I don't know why it took so long, but there you go.

I have to say, in recent months/years, I've been used to having most MMOs that I've played for the first time feel really comfortable, with always the same mechanics and quest styles.  I was used to going into the game for the first time, and largely knowing exactly what I'm supposed to be doing and approximately how to play and how to use my skills.

Well now with GW2, I'm pretty lost.  I have to admit that I didn't really follow the game too closely.  But yeah, it's so much fun being completely lost.  I'm wandering aimlessly, doing hearts, exploring, going to wherever the next small indicator on my map is.  I'll finish exploring this first map, then I guess I'll see where I go from there.

And hey, what's this?  A pop-up for WvWvW?  Cool.  When I tried it, guess what?  I had no idea what I was suppose to do.  Again, I open my minimap, saw some combats signs, and just went there.  I fought a bit, not sure why? I think we were defending a keep.  I followed some supplies for a bit, then it was over.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm having the same feeling again when I first started playing MMOs.  Since I didn't follow the game that much, I'm pretty much lost.  Everything is pretty new, new mechanics, PvP is new, and no clear cut quest lines.  I just a few minutes ago found the crafting stuff, after looking for it for a bit.

All in all, I'm enjoying being a noob again.  I haven't had that feeling for a long time.  I hope it lasts a while still.

Ive had the same feeling. Sometimes i even had the feeling im playing DAOC 2 but after ive got to lvl 80, crafted end game gear for my Warrior, maximised stats, ive discovered WvW is boring since what you win during the day you lose during the night (server i was playing was facing Canadian French ppl during EU nite time and they've conquered all the map by playing with NPCs) and nothing to do in game after. 

Make sure you dont rush the game :)

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Xasapis
    This game is as streamlined as any other themepark mmorpg on the market. It's nice that you're having fun OP, but you could change the game title and you could have the exact same reaction on pretty much every other themepark out there.

Yeah, is the OP saying that GW2 is a difficult game, so difficult that he does not know what to do lol. GW2 is a noob friendly game it's so straight forward that you would have to be 6 years old to feel like a noob playing the game.

If the OP really wants to feel like a noob then i susgest he plays EVE or even the secret world until he figures it out.

I found GW2 to be so easy that it was laughable.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

think you're onto something here. i hadn't considered that the feeling i was looking for was because of the newness of it all.

I definitely got it with GW2 again, and it's fun! Haven't felt this way for a long long time now. your post brings new perspective.

• Threatlevel0Threatlevel0 Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Everytime I go by the Mystic Forge I feel like a noob...
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

Same thing happened to me and i absolutely enjoyed my "noobishness" to the fullest. It helps me to take things slow,  smell the flowers and stop to enjoy the scenery, like i did in my first MMO about a hundred years ago and never since. I love to again figure out things with no plan how they work and fiddle around, the stuff many gamer's memories are made of. The "...remember when we didnt knew that one can eat and drink at the same time?"-like stuff.

Every other themepark-clone made me feel that i had to race to max and push progress, GW2 doesn't. It definately revived the gamer in me instead of the cap rushing,content skipping progress-nerd i used to be.

Throughout all the years my friends stopped playing altogether, so nowadays i'm roaming around all on my own -too bad, i wish they could give it a try and experience the same.

• seanfitzsseanfitzs Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by Purutzil

Well the quests in truth are basically the old quests you know and love (or don't love) just repackaged in one giant quest with multiple ways to do it. I didn't like that much but others might of. Over-all the game itself is pretty simple. Its one of the easier games in terms of mechanics to really get a feel for as you will be mostly learning to dodge and then figuring out the magic 2 keys to do damage while keeping in mind the few 'oh shoot' keys you might use.

Its really a very simple and noob friendly game when it comes down to it, its just a bit different having no guidance like other games. Once you get past that you will find its very easy to play and understand. Unfortunately I just figured out a lot of the components early on which made me get bored quickly of the game and ultimately (myself) found it to be a lack luster game for my liking. Its still at least a nice taste initially and if it carries through and you find yourself enjoying it you got a new game to have a blast on, otherwise you can always ask for a refund if the initial 'new car smell' fades and you find the game lack luster like I did. Win/win either way. 

This for me shows the problem , the heart quest is not a replacment for the traditional quest.  they were added to let people now the level of the area and to give you a simple quest to start you off.

In the original versions of the game well before launch they were not even in the game. Anet added them becasue when they started testing the game a lot of the beta testers did not now what to do, they ignored the npc's that asked for help, they ignored the events happening around them etc. At the higher levels there are no hearts.

The DE's replaced the quests, to get the most from them you need to look and listen, you also need to hang around after they finish, many new events start after others.

On the surface of GW2 its a good game but if you look further into it there is so much more.

• nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212
    Nice post and I understand the sentiment, but just feels like you're easily confused. GW2 isn't that complex.
  • TyserieTyserie Member UncommonPosts: 155

AMEN!!

To leojreimroc - If you are really skilled player and you did play lot of MMOs, you can speak in this way maybe about EVE online, but not about GW 2. If you are lost in GW 2 and you don't know what to do, you didn't re-discover noobness, but you are deffinitelly noob or just too enthusiastic fanboy. :)

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Post above me needs sorting out or edited.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

Yeah, is the OP saying that GW2 is a difficult game, so difficult that he does not know what to do lol. GW2 is a noob friendly game it's so straight forward that you would have to be 6 years old to feel like a noob playing the game.

If the OP really wants to feel like a noob then i susgest he plays EVE or even the secret world until he figures it out.

EVE has a robust Tutorial nowdays so I fail to see your point.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Pretty much.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

I enjoyed the newness and the freshness of GW2 my first trip to 80 but didn't feel like a noob. A couple of the classes require a bit of thought (like the Elementalist having the elemental rotations and needing to skill each element up for each weapon) but over all it was just pretty and new rather than noob.

Hope you have a good run, OP. Take it slow and enjoy it. I still like the game but after 4 characters it's hard to repeat again. No harsh words (other than the still persistent botting) just time for  break for me.

Where does OP say he felt game is hard.. funny how people keep saying that...GW2 has a lot of features that don't work the same or presented in a different way as other themeparks which to me and many gives it that fresh feeling more than most the other recent themeparks...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Torgrim
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

EVE has a robust Tutorial nowdays so I fail to see your point.

EVE's complexities are not in the game proper, but in the Meta-Game. No tutorials on that.

• leojreimrocleojreimroc Member UncommonPosts: 371

I'm not sure why I'm bothering to explain my post more to the people who just love starting arguments, but I will anyways.  But in the end, the people who know what I mean, know what I mean.  The others who enjoy starting arguments on forums will keep doing that I guess.  I also find it funny the people who as soon as you mention complicated or different, they shout Eve at the top of their lungs, but anyways....

I never said that the game was hard, or overly hard to learn.  Yes, I'm aware of the existance of EVE and how hard/complex it is.  I'm also aware that GW2 is not as difficult to learn as EVE is.  That said, GW2 does have many new things, and mechanics.  Hearts for example are a new spin on quests.  I did not spend 20 minutes staring at the screen trying to figure it out, it's obvious, but still, it's different and enjoyable (at least for now.)  PvP too, I didn't just run around like an idiot.  I quickly figured out what to do and where to go.  What I was saying is that it wasn't the same old capture the flag, or obvious pvp copies in many other games.

Keep in mind that this is a first impression post more than anything.  I've only started a couple of days ago.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

I'm not sure why I'm bothering to explain my post more to the people who just love starting arguments, but I will anyways.  But in the end, the people who know what I mean, know what I mean.  The others who enjoy starting arguments on forums will keep doing that I guess.  I also find it funny the people who as soon as you mention complicated or different, they shout Eve at the top of their lungs, but anyways....

I never said that the game was hard, or overly hard to learn.  Yes, I'm aware of the existance of EVE and how hard/complex it is.  I'm also aware that GW2 is not as difficult to learn as EVE is.  That said, GW2 does have many new things, and mechanics.  Hearts for example are a new spin on quests.  I did not spend 20 minutes staring at the screen trying to figure it out, it's obvious, but still, it's different and enjoyable (at least for now.)  PvP too, I didn't just run around like an idiot.  I quickly figured out what to do and where to go.  What I was saying is that it wasn't the same old capture the flag, or obvious pvp copies in many other games.

Keep in mind that this is a first impression post more than anything.  I've only started a couple of days ago.

Don't let the 'Negative Nancy's' get you down. If you like the game - good for you. If you don't - good for you. Don't tell someone that they are noobs or any other such nonsense because they enjoy GW2. I tried Eve a nd found it boorish and utterly elitist and I think that is what bothering people. There is no - "I am Elitist becuae I got UBER everything'.

If you dont like the game, just say it. Same with the people who like it - just say it.

Then let's get to the objective discussions.

yea don't let people get you down.. the game is great it's to me the most unique themepark to be released in a very very long time.. has a ton of new ways to approach a themepark and many things don't hold your hand as much as other newer themeparks. You can say hey to me ingame.. usually on my ranger Asgoth or my thief Aerowyn or my Guardian Vixtrola :)

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Doubt it, GW2 was the first to give me that feeling since Everquest 13 years ago. Rift, WoW, TSW and all the rest just felt like poor Everquest clones to me.

Trinity-less PvP and inter-class combos definitely add a new layer of complexity to do well at PvP. Teamwork is far more important and makes the PvP side of the game far more complex than someone spamming a heal macro and running in circles around a pillar like an idiot while the rest of the team tries to gank the other healer/s.

• CookieTimeCookieTime Member Posts: 353

Dude, it's MMORPG.com. Making a positive thread about any game (especially a popular one) attracts all kinds of trolls and haters in a matter of seconds. Don't pay any attention to them and you will be better off.

Glad you're enjoying the game.

Eat me!