Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just food for thought. Nothing earth shattering.

Just throwing out opinion here. Nothing that can be resolved but only my opinion. I started online gaming with my beta testing the first online game back in 1993? It was called Meridian59. I know there might have been previous online games but generally speaking this was the one that got it all started.
Then I sat in front of my computer hitting the log on key to this new game called Everquest. Oh my, I was mesmerized to say the least.
Now the last game to still carry over the “Looking for such and such class” to take so and so camp. That game was Dark age of Camelot. Since then I have basically tried most other games that came out, but never really got the same results. I soon learned that every game was somewhat the same old stuff. Generally played till the first month was over then deleted. Not to say a lot of these new generation games were bad, but just to generic and same old stuff. Seems like every class could do it all so the needing of a specific class in your group, to take a certain camp was gone. I didn’t feel the comraderly or grouping that was from the days when it first started.
Now games are just blah. Don’t get me wrong, I am not that good at games but enjoyed to the point where it was my main hobby. The death penalty in Everquest was way too severe, but on the other hand the new games seem to endorse hand holding and barely a repercussion from dying.
I don’t really see it going back to the way it was, which is sad for me as I feel like I lost my escape from the real world hobby. I remember days in Everquest where I would play for hours on end. (Almost too much) lol Just to let you know I am a old dude, and started with the Commodore 64.
This post is just me venting and putting out some thoughts on how I feel. Seems to me the reason for (almost everything is money) so obviously company's are there to make a profit. As a former business owner I understand bottom line. One of my biggest pet peeves are people complaining about the monthly fee (normally 15.00 a month) I am on a set income and by no means well off financially, but for goodness sakes, $15.00 for a months worth of entertainment? I mean if one can afford a computer and internet service to begin with, how can the monthly fee even enter the equation?
Real life generally works like “You get what you pay for” I detest free to play games as they usually are getting into your wallet almost in a deceiving way. Like I said, this is just me venting to fellow gamers and throwing out my two cents. Well wishes to everyone and game till you bleed. lol
Have a “groovy” day.

King of the world

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Oversized Wall of Text crits you for 9999 damage.

You really need to reduce the font size and add paragraphs.

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    At least make paragraphs... sheesh
  • worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    Maybe a tl;dr too.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• Kram59Kram59 Member Posts: 153

Sorry, about the structure of my writing. I'm not a english professor. It never dawned on me that my writing skills would be on critque here.

Just wanted some interaction with fellow gamers.

Have a great day everyone.

P.S. I think  Orcs must die II really rocks!

King of the world

• worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    We're a tough crowd! ;)

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Originally posted by Kram59

Sorry, about the structure of my writing. I'm not a english professor. It never dawned on me that my writing skills would be on critque here.

Oh quit the whining. You are not extending us a curtesey by writing a post. The very least you could have done is make it readable. That is a curtesey all posters extend to each other the majority of the time around here when making one. Your spelling errors, lack of commas etc most of us don't care about but paragraphs are kind of a big deal, unless you are somebody super important with something super important to say. A lot of us have horrible grammar including me. That's not the issue. If you can't be arsed to do it then why should we be arsed to read it?

Good to see you made a little effort and edited it afterwards. Maybe me bumping your post will make people read it now and comment on it.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

People saying "wall of text" isnt an insult as to the content of your post... Rather a way to tell you its very hard to read since it runs together...

In other words your writing skills were not being critiqued- Rather your "posting style"

-Anyhow try not to take offence and consider it a helpful suggestion.

• SimphanaticSimphanatic Member Posts: 92
    Originally posted by worldalpha
    We're a tough crowd! ;)

This isn't a hit on you, Mike, as many of your posts are well reasoned and thought provoking.

This forum isn't different than most others. It's frequented by an awful lot of people who never add more than one-line, ill-considered responses. They write, but say nothing, and inevitably devolve otherwise good forums to a point of worthlessness, where nothing is happening except a bunch of near-illiterates sniping at one another.

This thread is a classic case in point. OP writes something more than one sentence long, it's not filled with jargon, colloquialisms, foul language, and endless nonstandardized acronyms and you're johnny on the spot to romp all over him.

Frankly, I'd sooner wade through a reasonably crafted wall of text than the much more common near-unintelligible one liners so prevalent on this site.

Way to go people.

• CadexnCadexn Member UncommonPosts: 137
              Just throwing out opinion here. Nothing that can be resolved but only my opinion. I started online gaming with my beta testing the first online game back in 1993? It was called Meridian59. I know there might have been previous online games but generally speaking this was the one that got it all started.
    Then I sat in front of my computer hitting the log on key to this new game called Everquest. Oh my, I was mesmerized to say the least.

Now the last game to still carry over the “Looking for such and such class” to take so and so camp. That game was Dark age of Camelot. Since then I have basically tried most other games that came out, but never really got the same results. I soon learned that every game was somewhat the same old stuff. Generally played till the first month was over then deleted. Not to say a lot of these new generation games were bad, but just to generic and same old stuff. Seems like every class could do it all so the needing of a specific class in your group, to take a certain camp was gone. I didn’t feel the comraderly or grouping that was from the days when it first started.

Now games are just blah. Don’t get me wrong, I am not that good at games but enjoyed to the point where it was my main hobby. The death penalty in Everquest was way too severe, but on the other hand the new games seem to endorse hand holding and barely a repercussion from dying.

I don’t really see it going back to the way it was, which is sad for me as I feel like I lost my escape from the real world hobby. I remember days in Everquest where I would play for hours on end. (Almost too much) lol Just to let you know I am a old dude, and started with the Commodore 64.

This post is just me venting and putting out some thoughts on how I feel. Seems to me the reason for (almost everything is money) so obviously company's are there to make a profit. As a former business owner I understand bottom line. One of my biggest pet peeves are people complaining about the monthly fee (normally 15.00 a month) I am on a set income and by no means well off financially, but for goodness sakes, $15.00 for a months worth of entertainment? I mean if one can afford a computer and internet service to begin with, how can the monthly fee even enter the equation?

Real life generally works like “You get what you pay for” I detest free to play games as they usually are getting into your wallet almost in a deceiving way. Like I said, this is just me venting to fellow gamers and throwing out my two cents. Well wishes to everyone and game till you bleed. lol

Have a “groovy” day.

fixed. quit whining and get back on topic.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Its funny how whenever I come across a thread like this, I read the complaint and think "hmm, this isnt true for Vanguard".

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

I regard Meridan 59 as the first real MMO myself, but never played it.

Yes things have gone down hill, in a nice shiny racer MMO car that has a respray with every new MMO. The gaming strengh of the old MMO's has been lost. Thats why I don't play them as much as I used to.

Thanks for all for tips. Maybe you can teach a old dog new tricks.  :)

Being a mostly a spectator rather a writer and have terrable spelling skills, I wrote this in my email program to be able use spell checker and didn't know about font size. Now I do.

Thanks guys for suggestions and responces to my meaningless post. (By that I mean) not addressing a solid topic but just tossing out thoughts.

Game till you bleed!

King of the world

Originally posted by Adamantine

Its funny how whenever I come across a thread like this, I read the complaint and think "hmm, this isnt true for Vanguard".

Not exactly sure if I understand this post correctly. Are you saying Vanguard has all the old school elements that I am seeking? I did play Vanguard when it came out, and thought it really wasn't a bad game. But It's been a long time so not up to date on the advances possably that have been made in the game.

King of the world

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Now games are just blah.

Perhaps you grew up when you weren't looking?