Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Worth buying for PvP??

Comments

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Originally posted by umie214
    Wvw alone is worth the $60 IMO because it's so huge and polished. The structured PvP is amazing especially with paid tourneys that just came out and the upcoming ranks, spectator mode and possibly Moba style mode.

Gw2 is THE PvP mmo. To me, it's my favorite PvP game, as I stopped playing dota2 in favor of gw2

WvW in an organized guild setting is easily the best PvP experience Ive had since DAoC, suprisingly its with that same guild.

I hear people talk all the time on these forums (well the newer generation of MMO players at least) that say Vanilla WoW had the best PvP, from Southshore to Tarren MIlls tug of wars to 24+ hour AV's.

Well you know what, WvW in GW2 is EXACTLY like that, world PvP at its finest.

I am sorry but the underlines is BS. GW 2 has NO world PvP, there is one zone, mirrored for the three sides and one center zone and that's it. There is NO PvP in the rest of the world, that is pure PvE.

If you compare land-mass you got maybe 90% which is pure PvE and 10% which is PvP.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Negative
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    WvW doesn't hold a candle to DAOC's RvR and I had more fun in WAR's, GA's, and SWTOR's instanced PvP than in GW 2's. So lol no.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

No. 

WvWvW isn't PvP, it's more of a strategic placement of forces game.  Yeah, you shoot things at the other side, but that's all you do.  Try going into melee when everyone else is ranging each other down.  There's no real player vs player aspect - it's group vs group.  On that off chance you do run into a solo player, help arrives in seconds, and that 1v1 you were hoping for turns into a 1vzerg.

sPvP - A little more fun with more actual player vs. player fighting, but most of the points you need to rank up come from capturing control points instead of defeating other players. 

Obviously just my opinion, but that's what this thread is about, eh?  To the OP - if you think this sounds appealing, then right on - jump in and start playing. 

• xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

@ OP, I don't think you should asked any PVP question here cos non of this forum user are a professional PVP gamers.

Go here -  http://www.gamebreaker.tv/buildcast-show-page/

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• PsyMike3dPsyMike3d Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by Yamota

No, definetely not. Im a big MMO PvP fan and I was severly dissapointed with GW 2's PvP. The WvW is fun at first but after doing it for many hours it is just a game of cat and mouse where the cat is the bigger zerg and the mouse is the smaller one and both of them flip control points back and forth and the smaller zerg avoids the bigger one, until they eventually duke it out.

However it is completely meaningless as the bonuses for holding control points are small and does not mean much of anything in the rest of the world, which is completely separated from the WvW zone.

So if you are looking for a PvP MMO then GW 2 is definetely not it, the PvE is much more fleshed out though so if you like ThemePark PvE then I think it is worth the box price. But PvP? No, definetely not.

this!

• vort3xvort3x Member Posts: 129

At the moment probably not, however I am pretty sure that eventualy Anet will make GW2 pvp pretty good, or even great. I say this because I've been playing GW1 for years and I know that Anet does work on their game alot, and i know they have some big things planed for GW2 pvp too. Hope they hold their word... What i would suggest to you is keeping on track with their PvP updates that will be coming pretty soon now, and decide for yourself if the direction they went is ok with you...

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Wvw alone is worth the $60 IMO because it's so huge and polished. The structured PvP is amazing especially with paid tourneys that just came out and the upcoming ranks, spectator mode and possibly Moba style mode.

Gw2 is THE PvP mmo. To me, it's my favorite PvP game, as I stopped playing dota2 in favor of gw2

WvW in an organized guild setting is easily the best PvP experience Ive had since DAoC, suprisingly its with that same guild.

I hear people talk all the time on these forums (well the newer generation of MMO players at least) that say Vanilla WoW had the best PvP, from Southshore to Tarren MIlls tug of wars to 24+ hour AV's.

I am sorry but the underlines is BS. GW 2 has NO world PvP, there is one zone, mirrored for the three sides and one center zone and that's it. There is NO PvP in the rest of the world, that is pure PvE.

If you compare land-mass you got maybe 90% which is pure PvE and 10% which is PvP.

+1

Seems to me that some fans tend to make it up as they go along, yesterday it was GW2 has the second largest player base.

To the OP.

GW2 does not have world PvP it has sectioned off PvP that happens in one tiny zone compared to the rest of the world. You will never be out in the open world and encounter an enemy player or run the risk of being attacked while questing, it's carebear to the highest degree.

The Myst is a zone that is apart from the main world it's not an instance as such but it's not open world PvP that's for sure.

And no it does not beat WAR RvR.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Planetside plays nothing like cod.

It plays like a cross between daoc and unreal tournament.

The entire game Is like daoc frontiers but with fps combat and vehicles but minus the pve.

Gw2 is a good attempt, but I'm not feeling the realm pride I felt in daoc or planetside.

The server shuffling and not seeing the names of the competition make it more short term.

You need good enemies as well as good friends to make pvp long term, I can't see myself playing WvW for 4 years like I did daoc, because it lacks rivalry, or the year or so I played planeyside. I still think of myself as hib & smurf now, the otherday got my gw2 server mixed up, thought I was on gandara but I'm on gunners hold.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

GW2 WvW is 10X the PvP that Planetside 2 wants to be, because GW2 is an actual MMO and not a FPS in an MMO clothes.  If I wanted to play a FPS, if play CoD or BF, not some pretender from a horrible company.

This is one of those statements I just don't know what to say to. Why stop there? If you are going to make stuff up, let's say  Top government officials around the world are having so much fun playing GW2, they have abandonded all their political agendas. As a result, all nations wars will now be battled out in W v W v W causing a massive breakout of World Peace. GW2 has ended all wars.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

GW2 WvW is 10X the PvP that Planetside 2 wants to be, because GW2 is an actual MMO and not a FPS in an MMO clothes.  If I wanted to play a FPS, if play CoD or BF, not some pretender from a horrible company.

This is one of those statements I just don't know what to say to. Why stop there? If you are going to make stuff up, let's say  Top government officials around the world are having so much fun playing GW2, they have abandonded all their political agendas. As a result, all nations wars will now be battled out in W v W v W causing a massive breakout of World Peace. GW2 has ended all wars.

Exactly. That is why i just laughed and ignored it. Making stuff up is nothing new though. Couple of weeks back he posted a topic regarding new server being added to GW2 and we all know that due to W v W v W set up. Anet will have to add two more servers to balance things out. 

No one could find that imaginary server though. Just like no one will be able to find this imaginary world PVP.

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Imo yes. WvW is amazingly fun, structured PvP is very good. the classes are designed with pvp in mind. Imo no mmo comes close. just like no mmo came close to GW1's guild vs guild years ago. And it seems like ANet is determined to add more options for people who like pvp.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Wvw is pretty fun and time flies while you are in there. Spvp though is amazing, suggest you try that as well.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    To the OP, I suggest trying it to see for yourself. You will get opinions all over the place because opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one and they adamantly express them here.

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401
    WvW is pretty fun, though meaningless overall. Really are better options for pvp/rvr. It's the new thing, give it a shot and see what you enjoy,  others opinion really mean nothing.
    Originally posted by botrytis
    To the OP, I suggest trying it to see for yourself. You will get opinions all over the place because opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one and they adamantly express them here.

And how he can see it for himself? i am sure he must have seen youtube videos or read about it. Only other way is to drop 60 bucks and then 'see' if he likes it or not and that is exactly why he is here. To read players experince and opinions before he decided to throw away his 60 bucks.

As far as opinions are like arseholes....that is exactly what you do on these forums like rest of us.

• NaeviusNaevius Member UncommonPosts: 334
    The bottom line is that $60 is pretty reasonable for a game with no sub and good reviews. Try it out.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by halflife25

And how he can see it for himself? i am sure he must have seen youtube videos or read about it. Only other way is to drop 60 bucks and then 'see' if he likes it or not and that is exactly why he is here. To read players experince and opinions before he decided to throw away his 60 bucks.

As far as opinions are like arseholes....that is exactly what you do on these forums like rest of us.

don't they still offer refunds? Guess if he didn't like it he could just request a refund

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Aerowyn

don't they still offer refunds? Guess if he didn't like it he could just request a refund

Don't encourage this please...lol!!

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

IMHO its worth the $60.

The PvP and PvE both make it worth the price of admission. PvP does have some issues at the moment but overall its a fun experience. Same with PvE.

For $60 its a bargain with no sub fee, even if all you did was PvP.

Just my opinion tho. =)

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

I think its ridiculous but guess if they are nice enough to do it.... .:p

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    they'll probably stop offering refunds once they have a trial
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I think its ridiculous but guess if they are nice enough to do it.... .:p

Do you? Even if they can make more money by offering it? Isn't it better to grab some of those gamers on the fence and let them decide for themselves rather than lose all of them? There are very good reasons for companies to offer moneyback guarantees. Not to mention being a more credible and reputable company.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by Nadia
    they'll probably stop offering refunds once they have a trial

I hope they will do their trial smartly, so that we don't have armies of trial level capped characters invading WvW. I guess there will be a time limit too, like in GW1.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    I'm a pvp'er from back in the Shadowbane days of open world loot drop pvp. I must say that I haven't been a fan of the pvp in this game so far. I though I would love WvW, but I don't. I really don't. It feels like TSW Zergs all over again. I have been having fun with the pve,  but in my opinion, I wouldn't buy it for PvP.
This discussion has been closed.