Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which MMOs you've brought were worth the money ?

Comments

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Funny how the two games that, for me, were completely worth the money I spent were games I joined after they'd been established:  WoW and Darkfall.

I'm not sure how long WoW was out before I started playing, but the guild I joined had only a couple of 60s, there were a bunch of people LFG UBRS all the time, and TBC was a fairly long ways off; that said, it sure as hell wasn't day, week, or month 1.  I enjoyed myself in WoW, going from a super casual player to raider in the span of a year, and played the game for a good 4 or so years.  Definitely worth the money I spent.

Darkfall...I tried for a couple of weeks to get in, but it was nigh impossible, so I gave up.  Two or three months in, I decidd to give it another shot.  Though I've unsubbed several times for months at a time, I've consistently gone back to the game over the past 3+ years.  I'm not a hardcore PvPer, so that's not what drew me back in.  Again, it was the people with whom I played.

I'm not upset that I spent money on all the other games I've played, but had I not spent the money...well, it probably would have just gone to beer and bacon.

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

For me:

The WoW free trial (played two hours and said "this sucks")

City of Villains

EVE

Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided.

Bad buys:

Warhammer Online (played two days and said, "this sucks," and paid $50 for the privilege)

Star Wars Galaxies: Rage of the Wookiees (came with the CU, which really upset the game for me)

Seed (great concept, was waiting for it to get better, but it never really did...and then it closed in two months)

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• Riposte.ThisRiposte.This Member Posts: 192
    Everquest 2, I played it since release, up until about 2 months ago.

Killing dragons is my shit

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689
    zero mmo's had been worth shit passed a few months for me.  Only Everquest 1 was worth buying and paying for, about 5 years worth to be exact.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• Yodi2007Yodi2007 Member Posts: 167

The Game for me that were worth it for me is

1. FFXI

2. World of Warcraft

3. FFXIV the last 7 months

4. Guild Wars 2

Below is where we can disscuss and come up with new ideas for Sandparks!

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5164689#5164689

• Twilight33Twilight33 Member UncommonPosts: 37

wow until i had to buy tons of expansions just to get back into the game.

guild wars 1

everquest

planetside

thats about it. kind of sad considering i have bought most of the main stream mmos that have come out over the years.

• funyahnsfunyahns Member Posts: 315
    Everquest and Vanguard.  Everquest mostly though, I played that game for a long time. Still pop in and mess around once in a while. 
  • bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    none so far :[

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

I got a lot of fun from uo but asheronscall also was a great game i wish more games gave me that much of fun from just sub and the box

And daoc was good for pvp fun but the mileage wasn't from the grinding because that suck and is why its a wow clone in many way..... like eq but very different this time .  Of the best woild be eve because of the games worth my money it really did keep fun all day night long over and over again. even yesterday was fun and Ive been playing since 2003. 

right now i'm playing GW2 and its keeping me the entertain alot. a whole lot but i forgot my password yesterday so I have to wait for support replies to get it fixed because lol cant candycorn without account! lol

image how can doac can be a wow clone when the game was relaese before? your credibility goes right in the sewer with this comment...

For the op almost all of them.

AO

FFXI

WOW

GW1

Vanguard

Lord of the rings

AOC

FFXVI

FFXI, AO and WOW are those i played the most and enjoy for the price (in that order), the others where still worth the price for the time i played them. Still i would love a game like AO but in modern days.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by Silok

I got a lot of fun from uo but asheronscall also was a great game i wish more games gave me that much of fun from just sub and the box

And daoc was good for pvp fun but the mileage wasn't from the grinding because that suck and is why its a wow clone in many way..... like eq but very different this time .  Of the best woild be eve because of the games worth my money it really did keep fun all day night long over and over again. even yesterday was fun and Ive been playing since 2003. 

right now i'm playing GW2 and its keeping me the entertain alot. a whole lot but i forgot my password yesterday so I have to wait for support replies to get it fixed because lol cant candycorn without account! lol

image how can doac can be a wow clone when the game was relaese before? your credibility goes right in the sewer with this comment...

People who claim everything is a wow clone drive me up a wall for being so ignorant. At least call it an EQ1 clone, since WoW is a blatent clone of Everquest 1 with many of its extra features ripped from other games.  Even then your basically comparing apples to oranges and not making much sense of it.

Now old school Dungeons and Dragons, that obviously has to be a WoW clone with his logic...

• JedicowboyJedicowboy Member UncommonPosts: 140

DAOC IS NOT OR WILL EVER BE A WOW CLONE

Originally posted by Purutzil
    Originally posted by Silok

People who claim everything is a wow clone drive me up a wall for being so ignorant. At least call it an EQ1 clone, since WoW is a blatent clone of Everquest 1 with many of its extra features ripped from other games.  Even then your basically comparing apples to oranges and not making much sense of it.

yea i agree, seems like people have nothing else better to do.  By saying all these game are a clone of wow, well exactly what you said, WOW HAS DONE THE SAME THING ALSO.

anyway the games i feel that i enjoyed the most and glad i spent the money on is:

SWG,DAOC, EQOA, Everquest EQ2, Star Trek Online (lifetime account) , RIFT, FallenEarth, and soon to be FireFall.

games i wasted my money on and wish i can have it back:

WoW, SWTOR,FFXI, WAR, AION, TERA, Vanguard, AOC, GW2

• JuhdoJuhdo Member Posts: 5

Games worth the money

EQ1 - played 7 years, and still think it had one of the best player communities I've ran across

WoW - 7 years off and on, recent changes put me off to it and tired of the L2P community

EQ2 - 2 years until most of my friends left

GW2 - so far, at least its more hours of play than most new age console RPGs

Vanguard (pre F2P) - played a year

Rift - at least got 60 hours outta it

Games not worth the money

DAoC - didn't hold my interest

AoC - just wasn't my bag

GW1 - a couple weeks of enjoyment then kinda strayed away

LotRO - again didn't hold my interest

Know I'm forgetting some but if so, they weren't worth the money

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

SWG
    WoW
    Rift

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    all the mmo's I've played were worth the money I put into them. The ones that apparantly were not worth it, were WoW, Rift, TERA, TSW, EVE, Black Prophecy, (those were the mmo's I tried and didn't like enough to pay for )

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by roo67

Proberbly like the rest of you I've had my fingers burnt by a few mmos ToR and Vanguard spring to mind but others have been worth the price paid .

For me they are

WoW even though its trash now I had 4 years solid playing it and have since returned for maybe a month or two each year . Those orginal 4 years were proberbly the best I've spent in any mmo . I just wish it had kept up the quality and challenge it once offered .

Lotro brought a couple of months after release and got a life times subscription for half price about a year later on a welcome back week

Rift which has proven to be a lot of fun for me . I guess not everyones cup of tea but for me its mmo Nirvana.

Guild Wars 2 great value given its buy to play can see myself playing this one casually for years to come .

Actually would be easier for me to list games that were not worth any money. I.e. there are many games I have lost completely my interest to play, War, Aoc, CO, ... that were worth every cent. Until lasted.

Among rare games that were big mistake to buy ... TR, that game in old Rome, forgot name, but have box somewhere, FF IV, ...

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675
    Asheron's Call  by far gave me the most fun for the money,  so many great memories, such a fun sandbox game.
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

I can't think of an mmorpg I bought that didn't worth the money I gave for it. Even for the mmorpgs that I abandoned after the first month was over, I had fun with and was worth the money spent.

I spent different amount of time in different mmorpgs, but that's a different issue.

I can name single player titles that I've bought and haven't played enough or end up disliking so much I abandoned. Not mmorpgs though. And even in those cases, it was sometimes a matter of timing than the actual quality of the game itself.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Definitely Vanguard. Started in the month of release and kept playing until today with a pause. Tons of content, lots of wonderfully designed classes, just the ideal classic fantasy game. Sadly no PvP, no players and no devs. Oh well.

Definitely not Guild Wars, I was bored out of my mind after a very short time (3 days ? A week ? Dont remember). Just 8 abilities is just extremely boring. And PvP feels pointless when there is nothing for real to fight about.

Kind of undecided about Lineage 2. Had a blast with it, actually. Enjoyed it much more than I expected. PvP was just awesome, castle sieges are a blast and really well integrated into the game. And even today I still sometimes miss the Tyrant class. Then again, today L2 is a ruin of what it was before; its an Aion clone now.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952

All the MMO's I have bought have been worth the money. But then I only pre-ordered twice in my life so the odds were stacked in my favour.

If you finding you often think the MMO's you buy are not worth the money, how about waiting until launch? Not rocket science is it?

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Doesnt protect you.

Guild Wars is loved by many people, and yet it didnt worked at all for me.

And I bought it long after the last expansion, too, so there was plenty of information around and I've met GW players, too.

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243
    If I had paid for it, original EverQuest, but a friend actually gave it to me saying they didn't want to play it. His brother had bought it for him. I had no idea what it was but I figured it's got a free month with the box so sure, why not! Best decision ever, best game ever, never have I played a game constantly for over 3 years, and doubt I ever will again. I did buy the expansions that came out, Kunark, Velious, Luclin, PoP, DoN, but the original game was a free gift which I heartily thank my friend for.
  • quasar941quasar941 Member Posts: 159

Anarchy Online

World of Warcraft

Asheron's Call 2

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Yellow - worth the $

Red - not worth the $

--------------

Guild Wars 2

Everquest 2

Warhammer Online

Guild Wars

WoW, WoW BC, WoW Wotlk

WoW Cataclysm

Rift

SWTOR (friend bought it for me but still...)

Pretty sure there are a few others, but I can't think of them right now.